Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

goodog posted:

The LNP will be saved by the next generation of savvy young politicos.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/yo...e023c793422e601

Literal Herald Sun quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Isn't this like asking the fox to evaluate why henhouse security failed?
Welcome to today! That's how every game is played. Don't like the umpire? Cover them in a mound of poo poo and trample them to death! Even better if they are umpiring something as pointless and trivial as :airquote: Human rights :airquote: https://www.humanrights.gov.au/

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

sebastian should be a model

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Isn't this like asking the fox to evaluate why henhouse security failed?

yeah the AEMO's reports tends not to be very critical of the AEMO.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

goodog posted:

The LNP will be saved by the next generation of savvy young politicos.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/yo...e023c793422e601

hahaha this guy is on the academic board at UQ

e: he also made news recently for being happy that abortion will remain a crime in qld :allears:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ginarushton/this-young-bloke-is-happy-abortion-will-remain-crime?utm_term=.cgWOrODWD#.mg4X9XZoZ

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Legal advice requested. TL;DR at the bottom

Details:
A few weeks ago I attended a BBQ at my friends parents house. He was house sitting for them while they were on holiday.

I got there late and everyone was already eating. I sat down, got a beer and grabbed a snag and some grilled halloumi. I felt something get caught in my throat and coughed a bit to try and dislodge it. Thought it was a bit of bread crust or a piece of char or gristle, kept eating. Noticed a jabbing pain so I stopped eating and tried every method under the sun to dislodge it - eating bread, gargling cola, drinking honey, spewing. Nothing worked. Ended up leaving after an hour of trying to have a good time and went to the local ER as I was staying at my parents house for the night.

Usual 2hr wait at the ER for a Saturday night. Finally see a doctor who gets me to say AHHHH and shines torch in my mouth. Orders an x-ray which comes up blank. Tells me it's simply organic material and it'll break down overnight. I go home and sleep.

Next day it's still there. Go about my business but pain is getting worse, every time I swallow it's a 50/50 chance of stabbing pain or nothing. My throat is swelling up like it would from tonsillitis. I go to my ER. Another 2 hour wait and I get seen to by a nurse. He actually takes the time to look into my throats and sees something. Comes back with an ice cold metal tongue depressor and some long tweezers and removes a 1" metal wire from my throat.

The wire is from a BBQ cleaning brush. It was lodged in end-first like a needle. I get a paddle pop and I'm OK to go home. No pain after.

Anyway, the dad comes back from holidays and he hears the story and calls me. Assures me he is sorry and wants to help seek compensation from the manufacturer.

TL;DR: woolies has taken their lovely BBQ brushes off the market and I'm now at the stage they are asking me for a figure to make this go away. I have zero experience on this matter so no idea what Would be considered fair. This isn't in court yet and I don't really want it to be, but I have some expensive unrelated medical stuff I could really use the money for. Thoughts?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Laserface posted:

Details:
A few weeks ago I attended a BBQ at my friends parents house. He was house sitting for them while they were on holiday.

I got there late and everyone was already eating. I sat down, got a beer and grabbed a snag and some grilled halloumi. I felt something get caught in my throat and coughed a bit to try and dislodge it. Thought it was a bit of bread crust or a piece of char or gristle, kept eating. Noticed a jabbing pain so I stopped eating and tried every method under the sun to dislodge it - eating bread, gargling cola, drinking honey, spewing. Nothing worked. Ended up leaving after an hour of trying to have a good time and went to the local ER as I was staying at my parents house for the night.

Usual 2hr wait at the ER for a Saturday night. Finally see a doctor who gets me to say AHHHH and shines torch in my mouth. Orders an x-ray which comes up blank. Tells me it's simply organic material and it'll break down overnight. I go home and sleep.

Next day it's still there. Go about my business but pain is getting worse, every time I swallow it's a 50/50 chance of stabbing pain or nothing. My throat is swelling up like it would from tonsillitis. I go to my ER. Another 2 hour wait and I get seen to by a nurse. He actually takes the time to look into my throats and sees something. Comes back with an ice cold metal tongue depressor and some long tweezers and removes a 1" metal wire from my throat.

The wire is from a BBQ cleaning brush. It was lodged in end-first like a needle. I get a paddle pop and I'm OK to go home. No pain after.

Anyway, the dad comes back from holidays and he hears the story and calls me. Assures me he is sorry and wants to help seek compensation from the manufacturer.

TL;DR: woolies has taken their lovely BBQ brushes off the market and I'm now at the stage they are asking me for a figure to make this go away. I have zero experience on this matter so no idea what Would be considered fair. This isn't in court yet and I don't really want it to be, but I have some expensive unrelated medical stuff I could really use the money for. Thoughts?

As your attorney I advise you to post pics. Also talk to a real lawyer.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Laserface posted:

Talk to a real lawyer, don't waste your time on the internet

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Talk to the internet, don't waste your money on a real lawyer

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

As your attorney I advise you to post pics. Also talk to a real lawyer.

When I get home.
The nurse actually videoed the removal but my face is on tape and I don't need that on these forums.

Nurses > doctors imo.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Get a lawyer, get assessment for damages, nail them to the wall. They're up poo poo creek and they hope you won't do your homework.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
sue the doctor aswell lmao

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is clearly a long-con scam to get a free bristle suitable for a BBQ cleaning brush.

Have you tried buying one on the black market recently? Impossible. Everyone just looks at you like you asked for moon cheese or something equally rare and valuable.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

ewe2 posted:

Get a lawyer, get assessment for damages, nail them to the wall. They're up poo poo creek and they hope you won't do your homework.

This. Make duplicates of the video tape and any documentation you have.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Better get a lawyer son. And a copy of the xray

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

G-Spot Run posted:

Better get a lawyer son. You're gonna need a good one

to get you out of this one

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
5 g's

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Periphery posted:

This. Make duplicates of the video tape and any documentation you have.

I didn't get a copy of the video, they wanted it for training purposes. I can obtain it though.

Everyone is telling me to go after Dr Dismissive too.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

yeah the AEMO's reports tends not to be very critical of the AEMO.

Who is responsible for the settings for disconnecting the wind farms based? was it a from AEMO for bringing the farms into service, or a manufacturer recommendation?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dunning-Kruger victim Rowan Dean posted:

The world of political depression was rocked to its core this week by news that former prime minister Julia Gillard has been appointed chairperson of mental health organisation Beyondblueties.

"Oi am deloyted to accept moi friend Jiff Kunnut's koind offer to reploice him as the moin person in Orstraya in charge of mental health," said a clearly deloyted, er, delighted Ms Gillard to an enrapt press conference of mental health experts. "Normally Oi don't loik men in blue tois but in Jiff's case Oi am prepared to moik an exception."

Ms Gillard is believed to have been hand-picked for the job due to her lengthy experience diagnosing imaginary mental disorders such as sexism and misogyny during her three-year stint as head nurse at the notorious Lakeside Lunatic Asylum in Canberra. The asylum, which is buried deep underground and can house up to several hundred patients at a time in its notorious "Green" and "Red" twin chambers, is known scathingly as Capital Punishment Hill.

Critics of the institution claim that Nurse Gillard was responsible for inflicting a series of highly dubious and extremely costly research programmes upon not only unsuspecting inmates but the nation as a whole. "The sums involved were mind-blowing," complained a former colleague, Dr Wayne Springsteen of 4 Surplus Row, Nambour. "They did my head in."

Wandering daze

"It was like the lunatics had taken over my asylum," complained a former inmate, Kevin, a drifter of no fixed abode. "Which is exactly what she did. I've been wandering around in a daze ever since and I'm incapable of landing even the most menial of jobs. They won't even let me scrub the dunnies at the UN."

But Nurse Ratshit remains unapologetic:

"Moi good friend Kevin was a dangerous psoichopath suffering from severe narcissism with delusions of being the Proim Minister of Orstraya which was of course moi job. Oi had no choice other than to get Little Sammy, Smurky Burky and Fat Howzie to pin him down so Oi could perform an emergency lobotomy on his spoinal chord with the sharpest knoife Oi could foind."

Nurse Gillard remains convinced that her controversial approach to mind control allowed an entire generation of women and young girls to discover they were inflicted with severe bouts of non-existent male oppression. "These girls are now so oppressed they feel they have no choice other than to go and jump off the Wage Gap," explained one expert.

"Oi clearly established through moi extensive research programme that when a man in a blue toi looks at his watch when Oi am spoiking then he is clearly suffering from acute misogyny," explained Ms Gillard to a jubilant crowd of nutcases at the Sydney Opera House. "And Oi will not be lectured to about sexism and misogyny boi this man, Oi will not. And Oi sincereloi hope that Mr Rabbit has a poice of paper and is wroiting out his own job prescription," she added, to thunderous applause from a group of wailing, hysterical feminists.

Moi Story

However, other experts believe that evidence published in her autobiography Moi Story suggests that Nurse Gillard herself suffered from repeat bouts of paranoia and self-delusion, indulging in extreme flights of fancy where she imagined herself to be a happily married woman living in a quaint cottage in Canberra charmingly called "The Lodge" with her own private hairdresser/boyfriend ensconced in a man shed at the bottom of the garden. "It was all part of the fantasy," claims one psychologist. "She even imagined she would be Headmistress of the Entire World if she gave enough taxpayers' dollars to the Clinton Foundation."

CT scans are believed to indicate that the Left side of Nurse Gillard's brain is abnormally enlarged, likely to have been brought on through years of unhealthy exposure to student undergraduate politics and hardcore union affiliations. "On occasions, those close to Nurse Gillard could be spotted in the middle of the night hiding her medication in a brown paper bag and burying it in the garden," admitted her former boyfriend.

Beyondblueties was established by former Victorian premier Jiff Kunnut after he lost his marbles thanks to an intercepted phone call with fellow Victorian Andrew P. Cock in 1987.

In a clear case of Munchowards-by-Proxy, an audibly deranged Mr Kunnut can be heard accusing another man identified only as Little Johnny of "going off his brain". Mr Kunnut then accuses the man of being an unprintable four-letter word, before admitting that he himself is "going berserk".

Mr Kunnut explained that he was standing down from Beyondblueties for mental health reasons and to spend more time with his id. "This whole thing with Channel Seven and that Amber sheila is driving me bonkers," he admitted.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know a "wandering daze" would be a good way to describe our current federal government.

Probably Labor's Fault or the result of some poor people not genuflecting enough I reckon.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Turnballs - Wandering Daze is the feature album on TripleJ this month

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

KennyTheFish posted:

Who is responsible for the settings for disconnecting the wind farms based? was it a from AEMO for bringing the farms into service, or a manufacturer recommendation?
Probably whoever set them up in the first place. The AEMO report also mentions that they didn't know the ride through settings for any of the generators on the network. It makes sense for the grid regulator to specify ride through settings, and they've already moved to fix that.

(The report is 271 pages long, and I haven't read all of it.)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Rowan Dean takes back his crown for Idiot Righty Not-Funny Person.

:magical: Let that be a lesson unto you, Daisy.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

I'm a lawyer.

why were you eating wire you dumb gently caress get out of my office

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So the SA Labor government is, as of today, a minority government, as a Labor member quit the party because she lost preselection to the health minister Jack Snelling, after the electoral boundary changes by the SAEC resulted in him moving to her seat of Florey, and the former Labor state secretary winning preselection in his previous seat of Playford. She claimed faceless men bullied her out in factional warfare, but they really don't seem that faceless to me.

Were the SA Liberals ready to pounce on this new weakness? You bet they weren't, because the same day they got caught doing almost exactly the same thing, intervening in a preselection to prevent one of the opposition leader Steve Marshall's key factional allies from getting rolled in step 1 of a right wing party room coup.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 28, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ewe2 posted:

:magical: Let that be a lesson unto you, Daisy.

Rowan Dean is Daisy Cousens' editor, which explains how she gets published.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVqyB3PHn74

The Andrew Peacock/Jeff Kennett phone call is the greatest thing in the history of Australian Politics:

quote:

KENNETT: He got on the phone and said are you happy with the result, and I said “No I’m not”, and he said “Why?” and I said “Without your front pages and total disunity I’d have had ten percent swing. I would have got myself another four and you’ve hosed it up for me and he went off his brain.
PEACOCK: Oh did he?
KENNETT: And he went off his brain trying to (inaudible)
PEACOCK: He went off his brain?
KENNETT: And I said…
PEACOCK: And HE went off his brain?
KENNETT: He said to me, “I didn’t like the way you kept me out of the campaign”. I said, “Wouldn’t have you in it, and I didn’t have any federal people in it.”
PEACOCK: Well you didn’t have me. Didn’t have anyone.
KENNETT: And I said to him, “Tomorrow, I’m going to bucket the whole lot of you”.
PEACOCK: No! Don’t do that Jeffrey.
KENNETT: Hold your flow. I said, “Tomorrow John” and he said, “I know where your sympathies lie”, and I said, “I couldn’t give a gently caress. I have no sympathies any more. You’re all a pack of shits and tomorrow I’m going berserk”. Well he went off his brain and in the end I said to him, I said, “Howard. You’re a oval office. You haven’t got my support, you never will have and I’m not going to rubbish you or the party tomorrow but I feel a lot better having told you you’re a oval office.”
PEACOCK: Oh poo poo!
KENNETT: And the poor little fellow didn’t know whether he was Arthur or Martha.
PEACOCK: Oh poo poo!
KENNETT: (laughing) I just thought I should let you know.
PEACOCK: Well, tomorrow you are humble. You do feel better. And I am getting out of that car. I’ve told you. I told Margaret, I said “Tomorrow I’m just gonna get out of that fuckin’ car and say this is not Howard’s day, it’s not my day, it’s not Carla’s day, it’s not anyone’s day, not Richie’s day. This is a day for Jeffrey Kennett”. And I was thinking that I’d go in even earlier, and even if only a third of the bastards were there I was gonna go and grab the mic and say this is unprecedented. This in the midst of the most horrific difficulties and I faced ’em when I was the leader in by-elections, we haven’t had ’em for some years. We had a great win yesterday, and the only person who is deserving. Not just earnt it, but deserving of support is Jeffrey Kennett and if you don’t give him everything then you’re letting down the Liberal Party.
KENNETT: Well, all I can say. I thought I should let you know where I ended up with your little mate…
PEACOCK: Well, gently caress him. I’m not worried. I just.. I almost bloody cried. I was terribly worried. I was terribly worried. My fuckin’ anger yesterday as Margaret knows. First thing I came in last night I said “Oh, fuckin’ oval office! I said the whole fuckin’ thing could upset tomorrow” I was really… And she was saying “What’s Jeffrey done?” and I was saying “It’s not what Jeffrey’s done. It’s what everyone’s loving done to Jeffrey”.
KENNETT: Well. I think we came out of it alright and certainly…
PEACOCK: Alright? The news reports. Have you seen them on the television?
KENNETT: No.
PEACOCK: They’re saying “Labor down 7%”. Cain is claiming on a two party preferred vote – and don’t you let that oval office get away with that – it’s only 2%. They’re saying the Joh campaign has stopped in it’s tracks. In one part of the three state electorates it’s something like 2 to 3% down on the last vote and the Liberal Party will walk in.
KENNETT: Well. We won on primaries in every lower house seat. And even in the National Party seats. So it’s a fantastic…
PEACOCK: Well, exactly. That’s what I interpreted from it. Mate I didn’t have the details, I was just going to talk you. And don’t you (inaudible) me. You can all go and get stuffed. This is Jeff Kennett’s day.
KENNETT: Well. It’s been a good result. But anyway. Howard won’t know whether he’s Arthur or Martha.
PEACOCK: I know. But you feel better?
KENNETT: Oh yes.
PEACOCK: Be humble. Everyone’s gonna say “You are the greatest leader” since sliced bread mate.
KENNETT: It’s a good all-rounder.
PEACOCK: Where are you?
KENNETT: I’m on the way home. I’m going home and having a reasonably early night and I will see you tomorrow.
PEACOCK: I’ve got to sit in the chair about four or five rows back from the front. And I’ll allow Howard, after he’s had his tumultuous reception to come down and sit next to me and be photographed together smiling.
KENNETT: Oh, how pathetic.
PEACOCK: I would do that.
KENNETT: How pathetic!
PEACOCK: Yeah but I’m doing it on the basis of when I get out, and when I talk because they’ll be chasing me because of the federal issues, I’m just gonna talk Kennett. I knew it was gonna happen, and it should have been fuckin’ better but it would have been better despite those difficulties.
KENNETT: Well there’s two points. One is the federal difficulties. The other point is the way Cain tried to bloody deceive the electorate on this price control thing.
PEACOCK: That’s right.
KENNETT: And the good thing about it….
PEACOCK: Be humble mate.
KENNETT: Oh, I know.
PEACOCK: They’re behind you. So you don’t have to…
KENNETT: The thing is we didn’t (inaudible) like Cain and the National Party did to try and win political support. We might have lost some votes on that price control thing but we’ve kept very firmly to our philosophies. That’s an important part of this whole win I think.
PEACOCK: Well make those points. But just tell them, there are hundreds of thousands of people in this state who are going to support you. And you’re right. And that’s it. Just be humble.
KENNETT: I will see you tomorrow.
PEACOCK: I look forward to it. And I am just so thrilled.
KENNETT: Alright mate.
PEACOCK: See you then.
KENNETT: Give my regards to your good lady.
PEACOCK: Ok. Ta. Bye.
KENNETT: Bye.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Rowan dean is trending on twitter.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Rowan Dean is Daisy Cousens' editor, which explains how she gets published.

:thejoke:

But never fear, Daisy fights back with a new twitter campaign!

https://twitter.com/DaisyCousens/status/846556859242708993

...it's not very effective.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just because nobody likes you doesn't mean you are counter culture.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Mr Chips posted:

Probably whoever set them up in the first place. The AEMO report also mentions that they didn't know the ride through settings for any of the generators on the network. It makes sense for the grid regulator to specify ride through settings, and they've already moved to fix that.

(The report is 271 pages long, and I haven't read all of it.)

KennyTheFish posted:

I recall reading somewhere most of them were actually just factory defaults, but I don't have a source handy.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The head of the AMA has come out in support for coal fired power stations over the health of people who live near them.

What the gently caress.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...health-benefits

Oh, he's a Liberal stooge, that's why.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
50,000 properties without power in North QLD, further proof of the failure of renewable energy

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Imagine if back in the '90s we'd thought, well, climate change needs to be prevented and even if it's not true coal runs out anyway, so let's have a massive government program of subsidies for developing and investing in renewable energy, I mean, this is Australia, we get bombarded with tens of thousands of square kilometres of radioactive sunlight every single day, let's become a world leader in solar and have a booming industry exporting that tech to the rest of the world.

What loving stupid alternate universe did we end up in that drizzly England and Germany have more solar capacity than the most sun-baked continent on the loving planet, while our politicians wave coal around in parliament? Does any one of these loving ladder-climbing suits thinks beyond the next election cycle? Does Scott Morrison ever wonder if a picture of him holding up a lump of coal might appear in every textbook in 2100, and what the caption might read?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Pictured here: A useless lump of carbon, only good for polluting the environment and diminishing the future. It is holding a piece of coal.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was surprised that no-one tried to prove the absurdity of that coal stunt by releasing a bunch of coal smoke in parliament.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

You Am I posted:

The head of the AMA has come out in support for coal fired power stations over the health of people who live near them.

What the gently caress.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...health-benefits

Oh, he's a Liberal stooge, that's why.

I can't completely discount this. I used to organise in the LaTrobe and people there are poor as gently caress and will struggle without big employers like this. I'm not saying they can't do something different with power of course, it's just the few years of pain for that region is gonna be rough.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The best part is the LNP will win govt in QLD, flip all the power assets off to their mates and then the next cyclone rolls around and no one is connected to the grid anyway because the mates jacked up the prices.

• Locked thread