Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

FreeKillB posted:

It's also fun noticing how Possum Springs becomes covered in rats. Not literally knee-deep in a sea of rats, but there are rats here and there pretty much everywhere.

Yeah, and all it took was three pretzels. Better hope they don't manage to get into the food stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
It's worse than that. They get into the food DONKEY.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you didn't raise adorable rat babies you did not truly experience this game

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

FreeKillB posted:

It's worse than that. They get into the food DONKEY.

Yeah but to be honest it's more donkey than food at this point.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I did it in my first run through and fed them nicely and was thinking 'Huh, there's certainly a lot of rats in townOOOOOOOOOOOH'

Also asking Gregg/Bea if they've noticed any more rats in their shops. :v:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
There's an escalation of realization from "the rats are out on the ledge" to "was this rat here before?" to "okay there definitely weren't rats all the way out here!"

Maybe this progression caps with "WHAT HAVE I DONE" maybe it doesn't.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's both that and pride!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Ya know? The game does invoke the Black Goat at the Historical Society House. That elder god is referred to as the Black Goat with a Thousand Young. Mae is proud of her pestilent offspring. Maybe she really is a prophet of the apocalypse (which should of been the 4th band song assuming she accepted the cultist's offer). Who knows, I'm going off this nonsense; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shub-Niggurath

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

https://twitter.com/CowboyPunkColt/status/840346089035313152

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah I did it in my first run through and fed them nicely and was thinking 'Huh, there's certainly a lot of rats in townOOOOOOOOOOOH'

Also asking Gregg/Bea if they've noticed any more rats in their shops. :v:

Stop at the old grocery store before you finish the game if you did the rat thing haha

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Does anyone else get the feeling Bruce killed himself?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure everyone thinks that. It was definitely implied imo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Given the final moments of the game, I figured much worse.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Given the final moments of the game, I figured much worse.

I kind of figured he "got" to skip that fate.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I kind of figured he "got" to skip that fate.

I thought that the game at that point led you to believe he just killed himself, then set up the cult reveal as an "oh wait they probably got him, that's really hosed up" moment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I thought that the game at that point led you to believe he just killed himself, then set up the cult reveal as an "oh wait they probably got him, that's really hosed up" moment.

Yeah that too. One of the two definitely happened.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah he just skipped town.

With all my rat babies.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Nah he just skipped town.

With all my rat babies.

Honestly I think Bruce just skipping town is as likely a scenario as any other. I mean, obviously he didn't hop on a train and go back home where his kids were waiting for him, but I feel like Bruce getting out of Possum Springs and going back to drifting is more likely than Bruce killing himself, and as much as the cult killing him would be sort of narratively concise I really don't think he was planning to get himself sacrificed and the idea that the cult just happened to decide to nab him the day he was leaving town seems a little too contrived to me. Plus, we don't necessarily get a good idea of exactly how often the sacrifices happen, but I feel like the kid at Harfest plus Bruce plus Lorn all in the span of like four days is a little too much cult activity all at once.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm kind of wondering about the unwritten aftermath of the game. Didn't like a dozen people, who presumably have others that would be worried about their whereabouts, just go missing -- all at once? Aunt Mall Cop gonna be busy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I'm kind of wondering about the unwritten aftermath of the game. Didn't like a dozen people, who presumably have others that would be worried about their whereabouts, just go missing -- all at once? Aunt Mall Cop gonna be busy.

There's a decent chance that Molly was one of them, though that's all just speculation.

And there's some pretty strong broadcasting that Bruce committed suicide. On top of how idyllic his description of the coming reunion with his kids was, Mae then asks if they'll see each other again and he replies with something like "we'll all meet again someday," plus Karen's quietly devastated reaction with Mae breaks the news. The guy probably would have been fed to the hole if he hadn't offed himself, though. Really no good outcome either way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Either way, I'm glad they left it to our imagination. I'm glad Karen wasn't all OH MY GOD MAE, HE DIED. HE PUT A SHOTGUN TO HIS FACE IN THE WOODS PROBABLY, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME MAE. HE DED.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I thought Aunt Mall Cop was a decent person and that Mae was just unnaturally rude and immature around her, as she was to most people in the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Bruce's fate seems pretty open and shut to me (suicide). I mean I guess you can interpret it any way you want but it didn't feel like there was any other way to interpret it. I don't buy him getting sucked up by the cult at all. The stuff he tells you before he "leaves town" makes it seem pretty obvious to me

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Bruce's fate seems pretty open and shut to me (suicide). I mean I guess you can interpret it any way you want but it didn't feel like there was any other way to interpret it. I don't buy him getting sucked up by the cult at all. The stuff he tells you before he "leaves town" makes it seem pretty obvious to me

I feel like the game leaves enough room to read it either way, and the important beats of the subplot have the same overall impact and meaning regardless of whether Bruce jumped onto a train or in front of one. Leaving it ambiguous feels more like the game's MO to me, so I prefer to think it's up to interpretation. This is also why I'm with you on rejecting the "Bruce was killed by the cult" theory--that feels too tidy and dramatic and even though it makes plot sense I feel like that's invoking a kind of narrative efficiency that Night in the Woods doesn't particularly care about.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
It ruins the mystery a bit but if you really want to know.

There was a very tiny Q/A on Kickstarter and some folks asked about whether he committed suicide, the response was: " Not going to do a lot of post-game lore here but as far as I know: no, he did not. " So yeah based on the wording, it's clear it's meant to be a mystery but he probably didn't kill himself. My guess is he just drifted somewhere else.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
My read at the time was also that he probably just decided to move on, rather than killing himself. I think the stuff about going to his kids was a line he fed Mae since he thought it would make it seem like things would turn out OK, and he (apparently correctly???) judged that she would fall for the blatant and obvious lie. When Mae relays this part of the story to Pastor Karen, she does so in a way that is more easily read as 'prosaic way of describing suicide'. I think this is inadvertent and just another example of Mae saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

I strongly suspect that the cultists knew about another exit.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Seeing as the cultists were just a giant metaphor for capitalism, it doesn't really particularly matter if they survived or not imo

Agree.

eatenmyeyes fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 29, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Seeing as the cultists were just a giant metaphor for capitalism, it doesn't really particularly matter if they survived or not imo

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Only in the sense that nothing really matters once the credits roll, or possibly nothing matters in a story at all. Obviously the characters would care a whole lot if the cult were still alive, if the ending had pulled back to reveal the outline of cult robes peering into the gang's band practice it would've changed the tone a whole lot. You're free to interpret things as you like of course but the ending as-presented where they're dead and Mae and friends are out of the woods, so to speak, seems a lot more concise.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

FreeKillB posted:

My read at the time was also that he probably just decided to move on, rather than killing himself. I think the stuff about going to his kids was a line he fed Mae since he thought it would make it seem like things would turn out OK, and he (apparently correctly???) judged that she would fall for the blatant and obvious lie. When Mae relays this part of the story to Pastor Karen, she does so in a way that is more easily read as 'prosaic way of describing suicide'. I think this is inadvertent and just another example of Mae saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

I was half half on whether it was suicide or moving along. A normally very laconic guy suddenly telling someone he's going home and reassuring them he'll be alright is going to come across as ominous in most situations. The context in which it happens here just turns that way up. There's a number of patterns that could be found in it, and while things have been clarified for us now, some can be already ruled out before.

Both of those results would fit the game, but I think moving along works better. Also, had it been suicide, I feel it wouldn't have involved the obvious cliff nearby. Bruce doesn't want to cause trouble, and that's right next to the church and one of two people who showed him any kindness at all. That ain't him.

The cult snatching him up was not a possibility in my mind. They target the extremely transient vagrants, the kind of guys who Germ hangs out with at the edges of town, that they think nobody will miss because nobody noticed in the first place. Bruce is more of a migrant worker sort, he's been through Possum Springs before, and in his own words he has experience in recognizing trouble, probably avoiding it too. He sticks around longer, becomes a Known presence, this time through Pastor K. Mae seems to be the only one who knows he's leaving, and IIRC he makes his exit before the results on the vote whether or not to move him into the church can be relayed to him.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dolash posted:

There's definitely the parallel ofEide looking like Mae. She shows a notable amount of empathy and understanding for them and why they choose to heed and obey the horror in the mine, especially since compared to her friends she has the strongest belief that the horror is real and might be bargained with. An important part of the story is immersing the player in the sort of dismal, dead-end environment that could believably produce a cult ready to do anything to fix it, and suggesting that Mae could end up like the cultists or was even groomed by the horror for membership is part of that.

But I don't think it was just luck that destroyed the cult and saved Mae and friends from following down their path. Beyond that her friends were there to support her (and they're having none of the cult's business), she emphatically rejects the horror when they meet in the water down in the well. That's an encounter that may have happened even if the cult had not been caved in, and certainly Mae didn't seem to have put together what they'd actually done yet. I think she was definitely vulnerable to them, the game's message is pretty clear about the temptation desperate people face in dwindling circumstances, but for all her flaws Mae has the strength of character and help from friends she needs not to fall into that.

How they'd actually pull off some kind of investigation or attack on the cult in the event they had to, I don't know. Heck killing the cult by accident might've just been the more believable story beat than Mae and friends suddenly becoming competent in the last act, but it's still interesting to think about.

Seeing that comparison pop up again and again got me thinking about the tagline to the game. In the context of the climax I read it as some poignant advice on how to live your life, that when things look dark and hard, reach out to those around you and even if things aren't great. Even in the face of insurmountable pain, you can still find solace in your friends and the community you build around yourself.

But I guess it can also be a sort of... warning? That when people face the end of their way of life and the world seems to leave them behind, they can and will look for any solution to keep things from changing or to keep themselves from disappearing. Even if it doesn't actually do anything.

On another note, I also find it interesting how when you take the eldritch horror of this game and trace it back to H.P. Lovecraft, a number of his stories were basically based in the same sort of roots. Instead of Coal Country, PA it's Mill Town, New England. But it's still the same story over 100 years ago. What do you do when the mine closes/the fish disappear and the mill/factory moves to a place with cheaper labor?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Greatbacon posted:

Seeing that comparison pop up again and again got me thinking about the tagline to the game. In the context of the climax I read it as some poignant advice on how to live your life, that when things look dark and hard, reach out to those around you and even if things aren't great. Even in the face of insurmountable pain, you can still find solace in your friends and the community you build around yourself.

But I guess it can also be a sort of... warning? That when people face the end of their way of life and the world seems to leave them behind, they can and will look for any solution to keep things from changing or to keep themselves from disappearing. Even if it doesn't actually do anything.

It's absolutely both of those things, and the game even calls it out as such. It's undercut a little by Angus (who is, by far, the character most qualified to pass judgement on this situation) going "no, gently caress 'em," but NitW is at least partly about the extremes people can go to when confronted by "the hole at the center of everything," the looming dissolution of everything you cared about or believed was important.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The game was actually a prescient warning not to ignore Pennsylvania and other midwest/rustbelt communities or else they'll turn to an awful outsider they don't really understand in a deluded bid to bring back prosperity. Unfortunately the development delays prevented that message from reaching the audience that needed it in time.

Thanks a lot, game devs.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I will say that as someone who lives in Pennsylvania--a very different part of Pennsylvania, with its own weird mix of rural poverty and middle-class suburban development, but not too far from places like Pittsburgh and the small rust belt towns Possum Springs is modeled after--Night in the Woods got me thinking about where I live in a way I usually don't. The architecture and overall look of the game was super familiar to me (because I've been to the towns it's based on), and though I definitely don't live in the rust belt I've seen how the economic shifts of the last 20 years have impacted even places like where I live. There's a real class divide between the people who moved in with the developments and the people who were here back when the place was all farmland, but the people who came in with the housing boom were hit pretty hard by the recession and I've definitely felt how there's a lot less money and a lot more desperation than there used to be. Which explains why our district flipped for Trump. And NITW didn't, like, suddenly make any of this clear to me--I've been aware of it all along--but I was one of the kids whose families were here before the developments and I always felt like I wasn't really a part of this place or this community, so I just never really thought about it much before. It's almost weird to think, like, "oh right I actually come from somewhere," and I'm kind of glad to see a game based so much in PA because the demographics of this state are actually super weird and interesting.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 30, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Latest patch fixed some of the bugged drawings and stuff, by the way. There are even two you get at the end after the credits that you (or at least I) didn't get before, one of which probably depends on your ending.

RIP Casey. The Bea and Mae road trip drawing is adorable though.

Also I think they finally fixed Mae's shoes already being on when she gets dressed after waking up, not sure. Was watching a friend stream it and only got a glimpse but one of her feet looked different there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My second playthrough and I'm spending more time with Gregg and I'm feeling guilty about not spending enough time with Bea. It's a loving video gaaaame, this is stupid.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bea is a legit great character. If they ever made another NITW I'd want it to be about her.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Bea is a legit great character. If they ever made another NITW I'd want it to be about her.

Same, I'm really looking forward to this article about the game
https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/847186463234162688
https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/847191397388169216

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Martytoof posted:

My second playthrough and I'm spending more time with Gregg and I'm feeling guilty about not spending enough time with Bea. It's a loving video gaaaame, this is stupid.

I like to think that they're all alt realities and Mae is spending time with everyone :smith:

Bea mini-game would be nice but a entire game where you're stuck at a dead-end job in a tiny town would be hell. I would like a Mae and Bea road trip though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Pick-axe, Please.