Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

My personal fan theory is that the games take place in a world widely inhabited by mysterious creatures called Pokemon. People live together with Pokemon, working with them, co-operating, and supporting one another. To some, Pokemon are pets, while others use them for battling in order to form life-long bonds between them and their Pokemon. But despite their closeness they don't know everything about Pokemon. In fact there are many mysteries, which is why some choose to study Pokemon as a profession.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

My personal fan theory is that the games take place in a world widely inhabited by mysterious creatures called Pokemon. People live together with Pokemon, working with them, co-operating, and supporting one another. To some, Pokemon are pets, while others use them for battling in order to form life-long bonds between them and their Pokemon. But despite their closeness they don't know everything about Pokemon. In fact there are many mysteries, which is why some choose to study Pokemon as a profession.

Sounds pretty out there to me, honestly. Maybe you should add more curse words, to make it gritty and real.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Sounds pretty out there to me, honestly. Maybe you should add more curse words, to make it gritty and real.

Hmm... what if the first thing I asked strangers was what gender they identified as? Made things a bit more inclusive and modern. Would that help?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Hmm... what if the first thing I asked strangers was what gender they identified as? Made things a bit more inclusive and modern. Would that help?

By the way, what's your name again?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ramos posted:

By the way, what's your name again?
This is my grandson. Do you remember his name?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

This is my grandson. Do you remember his name?

I'm developing Alzheimer's. Please help.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Wait! I think I found how to make it gritty!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I see you've caught 35 Pokémon and seen...
I'm sorry, what were we talking about? Who are you? Where's my wife?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

I see you've caught 35 Pokémon and seen...
I'm sorry, what were we talking about? Who are you? Where's my wife?

This is the Hall of Fame. A place where the feats of victorious trainers and their Pokemon are remembered forever. How I envy it.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Did Michael Jackson die?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I used to be a professor and study all kinds of Pokemon, but now I can only remember where I put these three.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PMush Perfect posted:

I used to be a professor and study all kinds of Pokemon, but now I can only remember where I put these three.

He put his Pokémon in the PC and can't remember his password.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Hello. How's my old Pokemon? What's that? A package? Ah, this is the custom Pokeball I ordered. It has my name and emergency contact info on it in case I get lost. Thank you.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 29, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

He put his Pokémon in the PC and can't remember his password.

Hmm? Blue? Why are you here already? I told you to come later. I need help with the computers. You're always playing that Nintendo I thought maybe you knew something about it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
kill me

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I think Sun and Moon kinda showed how Pokemon COULD be dark while still being itself. I feel like if you really wanted to make Pokemon dark, you'd have to do stupid stuff like this:
You have to make payments on a health insurance policy in order to use the Pokemon centers
Certain Pokemon are hunted to near extinction based on unfounded rumors about how their horns increase fertility
the protagonist's father is not present because they left for another woman, and you meet him and his new family later. He does not admit any fault or apologize.
There's a new status condition: depression. It's kind of like attraction, except more prolonged, and it also lowers speed and both defenses. It lingers after battle. there are no items to cure it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Spatula City posted:

I think Sun and Moon kinda showed how Pokemon COULD be dark while still being itself. I feel like if you really wanted to make Pokemon dark, you'd have to do stupid stuff like this:

Certain Pokemon are hunted to near extinction based on unfounded rumors about how their horns increase fertility

Lapras was in the first game, bud.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Spatula City posted:

There's a new status condition: depression. It's kind of like attraction, except more prolonged, and it also lowers speed and both defenses. It lingers after battle. there are no items to cure it.
Only inflicted by checking news channels, or sometimes just completely at random with no discernable reason.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Spatula City posted:

You have to make payments on a health insurance policy in order to use the Pokemon centers
the protagonist's father is not present because they left for another woman, and you meet him and his new family later. He does not admit any fault or apologize.

Pokemon: The Painful

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Spatula City posted:

That is almost Stantler's pokedex entry verbatim.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ariong posted:

Two to three years later, a Sawsbuck is added to your team. You can't nickname him Dad.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ariong posted:

why would the stantler dex have information on my dad

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

How about a pokemon game where there's a large wonderful world out there to explore, but your protagonist voluntarily spends all his time indoors living vicariously through the adventures of others.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Tunicate posted:

How about a pokemon game where there's a large wonderful world out there to explore, but your protagonist voluntarily spends all his time indoors living vicariously through the adventures of others.

Woah jimmy let's not get too dark.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ace of Aces posted:

As discussed earlier in the thread I don't think it's 'secretly' hosed up, and the last few games (Black thru SuMo) have had a trend towards progressively darker stories. Pokemon has pretty much always had a dark undertone to it, but it's definitely at its best when that's an undertone, rather than blatantly put out there (see the 'atmosphere' conversation earlier in the thread).

I've always wondered if the touch of darker stuff to Pokemon comes from Creatures Inc., the developer of Earthbound, working on the series to a greater or lesser extent.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ace of Aces posted:

As discussed earlier in the thread I don't think it's 'secretly' hosed up, and the last few games (Black thru SuMo) have had a trend towards progressively darker stories. Pokemon has pretty much always had a dark undertone to it, but it's definitely at its best when that's an undertone, rather than blatantly put out there (see the 'atmosphere' conversation earlier in the thread).

putting secretly in scare quotes implies you think the series is hosed up, and its not

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There's always been hosed up stuff in Pokemon and that's fine. Gen V and VII deal pretty heavily with child abuse in their main plots.

The difference between that and something like Uranium is more like tone and tact. They don't dwell on it, like Uranium does with its multiple nuclear meltdowns/dead mom, and its generally counterbalanced by other healthy relationships also existing. Something Uranium really lacks.

Also they're ultimately subplots that take a background to the player character going on an adventure.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
there's no likable characters in uranium. all of them are assholes.

this game really made me appreciate the Haus and the Tiernos.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zore posted:

There's always been hosed up stuff in Pokemon and that's fine. Gen V and VII deal pretty heavily with child abuse in their main plots.

The difference between that and something like Uranium is more like tone and tact. They don't dwell on it, like Uranium does with its multiple nuclear meltdowns/dead mom, and its generally counterbalanced by other healthy relationships also existing. Something Uranium really lacks.

Also they're ultimately subplots that take a background to the player character going on an adventure.
The official games are also written so you can pick up on the serious undertones, but you can also just see it as a generic villain plot without the undertones weighing it down(which is important for keeping the writing from going too far up its own rear end in grimdark). If the Uranium guys wrote Sun/Moon, there'd be an extended subplot about how Lusamine's narcissism and emotional abuse turned her kids into shells of human beings, instead of them just being some normal kids who had a bad/crazy mom.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
well, Gladion and Lillie aren't normal, per se. but, they're not RUINED. Gladion has difficulty with trust and affection, and Lillie has no confidence in herself. Sun/Moon is weird enough to actually have a few developed characters. heck, Guzma is treated with a shocking amount of empathy for a criminal in a game for children. this is another thing Uranium's "creatives" could never do. If they did an overarching bad guy instead of Nuclear Power is Scary, Ignored that We Know Jack poo poo About How Nuclear Power Works, he'd probably cackle as he kicks Growlithes off cliffs.
I imagine the Uranium crew are the kind of people that want a villain like Giovanni in their games, except MORE HARDCORE.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And of course, completely missing that what made Giovanni cool was his restraint.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Tired Moritz posted:

there's no likable characters in uranium. all of them are assholes.

this game really made me appreciate the Haus and the Tiernos.

Hau and Tierno are very good actually. :catbert:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hau's pretty great.

I like Tierno too, if only because he has a goal, as silly as it is, and has some success in working towards it. I'll always beat Serena/Calem in a battle, and I'll always beat Trevor in a Pokedex comparison, but I'm pretty sure Tierno would beat me in a dance-off. Even if Gen VII has shown me the marvel of Swords Dancing Mimikyu and Quiver Dancing Ribombee.

Between those two and Oricorio, I bet Tierno would really like Alola.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 29, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Hau and Tierno are very good actually. :catbert:

If I had to go for hard and fast... Hau, yes, Tierno, no.

I feel like Game Freak improved a lot in between X/Y and SuMo in the whole "These are your character's pals!" department. In X and Y, they felt awkward. Just this band of too many "friends" who were obsessed with you for some reason and who in three cases out of four weren't good at anything, and who you felt kind of bad for perpetually crushing in the other case. Meanwhile, Hau's kind of a likable doofus. He gets the vibe right for the later Pokemon games's friendly rival setup, because it's clear he doesn't much mind losing and a big part of why he's losing is that he treats the whole thing lightly. He's here to have a good time and sample the local cuisine, and if that gets him to the top, that's a nice bonus, not the main attraction.

Where Serena feels like a protagonist who had the bad luck to run into you, Hau feels like he's only so fired up because he's got a rival to spur him on. And unlike Tierno and company, he actually feels like he's accomplishing something in the narrative. Hau likes the player, but he also has goals of his own, and doesn't primarily exist to orbit the PC.

So, yeah. Hau. He's alright.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The best friend rivals are actually Cheren and Bianca, like many things in Black and White

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

If I had to go for hard and fast... Hau, yes, Tierno, no.

I feel like Game Freak improved a lot in between X/Y and SuMo in the whole "These are your character's pals!" department. In X and Y, they felt awkward. Just this band of too many "friends" who were obsessed with you for some reason and who in three cases out of four weren't good at anything, and who you felt kind of bad for perpetually crushing in the other case.

Sounds like Battle Network to me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

And of course, completely missing that what made Giovanni cool was his restraint.

The best pokemon villains are crazy people like Ghetsis and Lusamine though.

Raserys posted:

The best friend rivals are actually Cheren and Bianca, like many things in Black and White

All friend rivals are good and cool. Except maybe Hugh. Barry, Cheren, Bianca, and Hau are top tier rivals

Edit: I don't count the gen III rival as a friend, because they are the worst rival.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Tierno is very good. The worst kid was the orange haired kid that sucked at collecting mons.

Tierno is the best battle partner in the bp grinding area in x/y, anyway.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"
:spergin: incoming!

Strange Matter posted:

Pokemon Omega Emerald had a really nice difficulty curve. A lot of the boss fights fully encouraged you to assemble counters to specific threats, and the fact that all of the gym leaders have full 6-mon teams is a welcome challenge, but the game never seems like it's completely screwing you over (Wallace's redone team is kind of pushing it though).

How specific are the counters and how much do you need to grind to get them in the first place? Specifically, do you need to catch and grind up specific out-there Pokemon with specific moves and abilities to counter these threats? Because assuming that Omega Emerald is a rom hack of GBA Emerald, TMs are probably still single-use, and you have to grind up Heart Scales to have access to a Move Relearner you may not even have access to for much of the game, thus limiting the amount of moves you could 'store' for constructing a strategies.

Also, is there a nice curve where for example the closer you get to a major boss with a full team of 6 Pokemon the higher the Pokemon-to-opponent ratio is overall?

Or is it like the start of Pokemon Reborn where a majority of the opponents you face up until the first gym leader have 1 Pokemon, most have 1-2 Pokemon, and nothing to do with OC electric terrain effects or noteworthy movesets...

Up until you reach said gym leader who has a full 6 Lv12-15 Electric-type Pokemon team, all with something to ruin your day, 2 of them Lv 12 Voltorbs with the moveset Sonicboom/Explosion/Charge Beam/Rollout, and 1 Lv 15 Electrode with a similar moveset except Charge replacing Explosion.

All that plus a permanent OC terrain effect never experienced before the battle in question, not even with the gym trainers, which adds a 1.5x multiplier to Electric type moves, turns Explosion into an Electric-type move with STAB, amplifies Charge's stat boost, and other things not experienced in the battle in question.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Just enforcing the standard multiplayer rules would dramatically change the average difficulty of the game. Potions and the like only usable outside of battle, no precognitive switching ever. Balance all hold items to refresh themselves after the battle, and gate them somehow other than BP at the end of the game so you can actually put them to use. Eliminate the totally trash trainer lineups like "6 Magikarps lol" but don't make everything some ball-breaking encounter so the thing still has some kind of pacing. It still wouldn't exactly be "legitimately difficult" but it would be a lot harder.

That would all help with making the game more challenging, and all stuff I'd figure would be in a 'challenging' fangame if I were to make one.

It would be simple to make grinding easier by at least implementing both the Gen VI EXP Share and the Gen V Experience formula together, probably making adjustments to avoid having mons with twice the level of what the average opponent level is at any point like with Gen VI.

Pokemon Reborn did try to limit grinding by imposing soft level caps for all Pokemon, unfortunately by 'soft level cap' Reborn means 'Your Pokemon disobey you regardless of OT at or above the current badge's level cap", which you're supposed to reverse by leveling them down via Common Candy which are Anti-Rare Candy that are buyable in bulk as cheap as a Potion each.

A less malicious option would be to make it a 'hard' level cap, making your Pokemon not level up or gain individual experience beyond the current badge level cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Edit: I don't count the gen III rival as a friend, because they are the worst rival.

Though counting fangames LPed here, J. Akira and Theo both manage to make Brendan/May look decent. Better a cipher than a creep or whiny brat.

Tunicate posted:

Sounds like Battle Network to me.

Huh, yeah, it kinda does, now that you mention it. Or any kid-centric anime or game based on it, really. Yu-Gi-Oh, Medabots, etc., all the friends are just orbiting the protagonist like a fan club. Maybe that's just how the protagonists see them due to rampant narcissism, and in reality they actually have other stuff going on.

• Locked thread