Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

I mean, I'm sure that when they printed Elesh Norn in loving phyrexian people complained that the card was unreadable, right?

it's different when the card is supposed to be readable, like these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Kalsco posted:

Seems like Amonkhet doesn't skip Leg Day.

That left foot looks like some Rob Liefeld poo poo. It looks really long and flat.

(the God's left)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

That left foot looks like some Rob Liefeld poo poo. It looks really long and flat.

(the God's left)

Don't be ridiculous, you can actually see what's going on in Liefeld's art.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Much like Patrick Rothfuss liking these is a sure indication that you're an idiot and I can safely ignore everything else you say.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

YggdrasilTM posted:

I mean, I'm sure that when they printed Elesh Norn in loving phyrexian people complained that the card was unreadable, right?

Uh, no. Because that was a loving flavor grand slam.

These things are just eye-gougingly bad.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Can't believe the Masterpiece design pattern for Atlazan has already leaked

Hellsau posted:

(the God's left)

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's different when the card is supposed to be readable, like these

And you say that the card is supposed to be readable because...?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Look at all these motherfuckers unexcited for Aver Mirdcersor!, Birb wizard

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I see people saying these look like yugioh cards. I only played YGO from 02 to 04, what ones do these look like?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Ha, those are neat. Not my jam, but I think it's cool that they went really "out there" with the designs. Better than if they'd been totally bland/safe.

Also re: Readability, who cares? They've done full art promos for cards with rules text

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

because if they intended for a card that can be playable and openable in a limited tournament to be unreadable then wizards truly has lost it

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

its me glenda posted:

I see people saying these look like yugioh cards. I only played YGO from 02 to 04, what ones do these look like?

I've never played Yugioh but the answer to your question is the bad ones.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ha, those are neat. Not my jam, but I think it's cool that they went really "out there" with the designs. Better than if they'd been totally bland/safe.

Also re: Readability, who cares? They've done full art promos for cards with rules text

to the first, I think that's the thread consensus. To the second, Wizards has stopped with full art promos and in my mind that is the correct decision because not everyone knows everything about every card, even very experienced players. For example, is Cryptic's fourth mode "Tap all creatures target player controls", "Tap all creatures target opponent controls", or "Tap all creatures your opponent's control"? Let's read the card to find out

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kalsco posted:

Seems like Amonkhet doesn't skip Leg Day.

Someone photoshop in that one open mouthed goblin

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Hellsau posted:

(the God's left)

Gotta keep it in the family. So what if a foot gets a bit long if we're keeping the bloodline divine?

Seriously though these are tremendously ugly. If I had to say anything nice it'd be that it's cool they put the card name and artist in cartouches. Probably the only good artistic touch going on there.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Elyv posted:

to the first, I think that's the thread consensus. To the second, Wizards has stopped with full art promos and in my mind that is the correct decision because not everyone knows everything about every card, even very experienced players. For example, is Cryptic's fourth mode "Tap all creatures target player controls", "Tap all creatures target opponent controls", or "Tap all creatures your opponent's control"? Let's read the card to find out

Fair enough, I get what you're saying. But even for these, the hard parts to read are the titles more than the rules text. It seems like the big problem with these being hard to read is limited, and those situations will be pretty rare. Agree that they could have been a big easier to read, though. Maybe it's not as bad in-person, but I suspect the foil process will make things harder, not easier.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

^^^ Cryptic taps all creatures your opponents control.

Well on the plus side I don't have to worry about getting any of the new expeditions for my cube. It's a shame, too. Some of the art, Counterspell in particular, looks pretty good.

mandatory lesbian posted:

CHAIR LIGHTRIRG

NO:dong:CHAIR LIGHTRIRG1T

Attorney at Funk posted:

Who would possibly use these?

You don't watch enough live streams if you're asking this. Some peoples' idea of "pimp" is questionable at best. And if they do end up being cheap people will use them anyway.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 29, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

It actually looks like it has some depth to it, which is novel. It doesn't excuse the font choices.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
loving Mind Twist and Force of Will.

I will punch the shitheel who Mind Twists me at the prerelease.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

En Fuego posted:

loving Mind Twist and Force of Will.

I will punch the shitheel who Mind Twists me at the prerelease.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Are you loving kidding me

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Like what loving format is Mind Twist legal in. Like I am going to make a Vintage cube.

Or play Vintage.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

:bisonyes:

If you had asked me like five minutes ago if Mind Twist was on the Reserve List I would've said yes. Learn something new every day.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Great illustrations ruined by Martha Stewart framing.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Oh sweet let me just go sleeve this right up in my Vintage Mind Twist deck

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

En Fuego posted:

Like what loving format is Mind Twist legal in. Like I am going to make a Vintage cube.

Or play Vintage.

It should be unbanned in legacy. And yes, play it in cube?

Surprised they went with FoW, cryptic, and counterspell for the counters instead of Mystic Denial, Arcane Denial, or State of Denial.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ha, that's pretty cool.

Mind Twist isn't amazingly good anymore, but it is iconic and a good include.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ha, that's pretty cool.

Mind Twist isn't amazingly good anymore, but it is iconic and a good include.

Mind Twist brings up really poo poo memories of Dark Ritual.

Also, Mind Twist is good in cube. Like REALLY good.

It's a good card, Brent.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

En Fuego posted:

It's a good card, Brent.

But then you make it cost one more mana, and it's suddenly unplayable even in modern.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
The art is cool! The cards choices are flavorful!

The cards are also unreadable so uhhhh

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Jabor posted:

But then you make it cost one more mana, and it's suddenly unplayable even in modern.

Yeah because forcing 2 cards of random discard for 3 mana is playable but 1 for 3 isn't

En Fuego posted:

It's a good card, Brent.

Yeah T1 Swamp -> Ritual x2 -> Twist for 4 wins a lot of games

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

En Fuego posted:

It's a good card, Brent.

On one hand, Ritual, Mind Twist is just a 2 card Hymn and think it would probably be fine. On the other hand, I can see something stupid like double Ritual, Twist or turn 1 Tomb, Monolith, turn 2 Twist your whole hand away thanks for trying to play Magic idiot and I don't want it anywhere near legacy. Legacy is already becoming BGx good cards the format. It doesn't need more help.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I like that new mind twist art more than I've liked the art for a new card in a long time (based on that small image) and they stuck in these god awful frames. The name of the card even looks like it has a little cock and balls pointing back at it at the end there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Holy gently caress thats just awful garbage.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

the glyphs map to the english alphabet

like if it was meant to be unreadable it would be just random symbols, they intentionally made the letters look like letters, just not very well

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FIFTEEN YEARS we've waited for a Vindicate reprint, and we get it in this shite?

:smith:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I honestly have no idea what's going on in the right half of that art and that white magical lightning bolt looks like a terrible photoshop job.

That Mind Twist art is sweet though.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

The Shortest Path posted:

FIFTEEN YEARS we've waited for a Vindicate reprint, and we get it in this shite?

It hasn't even been FIFTEEN months. (Eternal Masters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Shortest Path posted:

http://magiccards.info/ema/en/210.html

efb

• Locked thread