Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Work have decided to axe our phone system for a 'softphone' software replacement. Yesterday we moved over from our old IP based phone system. It's been a loving disaster. The software itself is complete loving garbage, incoherently laid out, does bizarre things with contacts in that it deletes them when you add a new one, needs to be signed in and out of daily, doesn't save your audio settings properly...

I'm wondering if they actually tested it for more than 5 minutes because it really doesn't seem so. It's super flaky. What's worse is we already have Skype for Business linked up to everything so this offers no advantages other than call forwarding to mobile devices, but if you can see the person you're calling is out of the office you'd contact them on their mobile anyway.

It's poo poo.

Phone systems are something that businesses routinely take for granted, and they never want to pay the money for a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Work have decided to axe our phone system for a 'softphone' software replacement. Yesterday we moved over from our old IP based phone system. It's been a loving disaster. The software itself is complete loving garbage, incoherently laid out, does bizarre things with contacts in that it deletes them when you add a new one, needs to be signed in and out of daily, doesn't save your audio settings properly...

I'm wondering if they actually tested it for more than 5 minutes because it really doesn't seem so. It's super flaky. What's worse is we already have Skype for Business linked up to everything so this offers no advantages other than call forwarding to mobile devices, but if you can see the person you're calling is out of the office you'd contact them on their mobile anyway.

It's poo poo.

Is it an entire solution like how you have a bunch of Skype for Business Servers and they're all doing various parts of the SIP and RTP mambo, or a magic cloud solution that doesn't work and you can't fix because no one in IT has access to it?

Basically, looking at terrible VOIP poo poo is part of my job. Name and shame.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Door Frame posted:

I took my girlfriend to a gas station to refill her flat tire and half way through filling she pressed the flashing button that switched on the vacuum and disabled the air compressor

She didn't think that spending another dollar to finish filling it was nearly as funny as I did

mariooncrack posted:

Fitness chat : I'm back down a pants size again.

I ate a salad for dinner.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Kazinsal posted:

Is it an entire solution like how you have a bunch of Skype for Business Servers and they're all doing various parts of the SIP and RTP mambo, or a magic cloud solution that doesn't work and you can't fix because no one in IT has access to it?

Basically, looking at terrible VOIP poo poo is part of my job. Name and shame.

Mitel MiCollab. A company that provides really nice IP phone kit has moved into the software side of things... It's really not very intuitive or good. On the website the term is 'cloud enabled mobile workforce' which is the most terrible mess of words ever. We all have laptops and iphones provided through work, anything we could ever want to do we can already do.

I've no idea how it all works as it's not my area at all, I just know it's a bit poop as I'm being forced to use it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

mariooncrack posted:

Fitness chat : I'm back down a pants size again.

I am currently eating a snickers :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I just know it's a bit poop as I'm being forced to use it.
Our MRP system was being quite slow to use yesterday. The explanation from IT was that "it looks like someone is on a videoconference and that may be affecting it".

I don't want to know what kind of lunacy has led to that being a thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

Our MRP system was being quite slow to use yesterday. The explanation from IT was that "it looks like someone is on a videoconference and that may be affecting it".

We're on a 10GB fibre backbone so that's never an issue thankfully! But that's a slight oversight on IT at your joint though!!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I did a Salesforce roll out at one place I worked and during testing people complained reporting didn't work. It turned out that he machines the Sales team were using had not been replaced in 5 years and woefully underpowered. I told the project management that they needed to upgrade all the machines before they went live or the reporting would not work as per the vendors minimum spec requirements.

They completely ignored me and day one reporting didn't work and when I was asked why I just pulled out the email I sent with the response that they were not going to spend the money to using grade machines to the minimum spec. Laid it on the table and took a swig of tea.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Don't stop I'm almost there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FITNEESSSSSS

I've lost 7 pounds over the last 3 weeks.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrChips posted:

So this is a retarded question, but how in the hell do you embed a gifv from Imgur on these here forums? I followed the only instructions I could find, surrounding the link in a [url] tag, but that doesn't do anything other than just give me a clickable URL. Neither does putting it in an [img] tag either.

Surely I must be missing something here...

Looks like it works fine, with any file extension. Reminder that the post preview doesn't do the embed, only the live post.

Test:
http://i.imgur.com/JTlyqKi.mp4 mp4

http://i.imgur.com/JTlyqKi.gifv gifv

http://i.imgur.com/JTlyqKi.webm webm

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
At my first job out of high school at a family owned business the "CIO" (in quotes because he was the owner's son and didn't know anything about tech, he just assumed the title) was massively incompetent and didn't want to spend money on virus software "because we just bought that software three years ago."

The company's network got infected with Klez like a week after that statement was made and they had to hire a consultant to unfuck their NT domain controller and exchange server. Ended up costing them about five times as much as the virus scanner would have cost just to pay for the consultant, to say nothing of lost business when all of the workstations and email stopped working for the better part of a week.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Mitel MiCollab.

The call center I was recently laid off from used a Mitel backend for a special snowflake client. Agreed, they should stick to what they know. The software we used was a massive piece of poo poo - clunky with terrible UI and it seemed like we had to restart its server every other day because of some glitch or another.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Fitnesssss: diet is horrible cuz I'm too tired/lazy to feed myself and would rather play video games, no motivation to wake up and go to the gym, not enough protein in the house. It'll get better once I go again but I'm loving tired of zero progress and overthinking/underthinking everything and getting more and more frustrated at my own drat body for being sore/stiff in the joints after only one set of squats.

:buddy:

Oh look, it's nice outside, I can probably start tearing my car apart and fixing the piston rings!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fitness? Fitn'this whole pack of biscuits in my belly.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I'll tell you what does it. Feeding every branch's videoconferencing bandwidth through a gateway at one office, then reflecting it back out to the cloud videoconferencing system. Three or four megabits per second per telepresence boardroom, seven or eight branches... Whoops, looks like your office's once-generous 25Mbps upload is oversaturated now, and no, we just upgraded that (two years ago), why would we need to upgrade it again (after having just kitted the entire company with telepresence boardrooms).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sounds about right.

Plus our IT team is located in Hungary, for some reason that's yet to have been made clear to anyone.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bought a spin bike today :unsmith:

Also started a gluten free diet :smith:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm gonna go eat a whole bag of flour in your honor.

Dry.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

I am currently eating a snickers :(

I didn't change my diet too much. I started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at the end of January and working out more often and more consistently.

The spin bike is one of my favorite exercises. I do spin class from time to time too.

Good luck with the gluten free diet. You might want to look into whole 30, it looks like it has some delicious recipes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Enourmo posted:

I'm gonna go eat a whole bag of flour in your honor.

Dry.

:toxx:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Are you legitimaty gluten intolerant? Because otherwise it wont do dick.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I tried using a spin bike for the last 3 months to do some intervals, and it makes me angry. Something about pedaling and going nowhere really fucks with me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nm posted:

I tried using a spin bike for the last 3 months to do some intervals, and it makes me angry. Something about pedaling and going nowhere really fucks with me.

Try Zwift. It can make riding inside really feel like a true ride. High price barrier to entry, but other than that, awesome.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Are you legitimaty gluten intolerant? Because otherwise it wont do dick.

I have crohn's disease and it has been suggested that it may help so I'm giving it a try for two weeks. If there's no change after two weeks I can go back to my diet of Dunkin Donuts and Jersey Mikes.

nm posted:

I'm gonna use the spin bike as a good low impact way to keep my legs in shape. Not really interested in riding my bike around here for daily exercise, so I'm hoping this will work.

Seminal Flu posted:

Try Zwift. It can make riding inside really feel like a true ride. High price barrier to entry, but other than that, awesome.

Holy poo poo that looks cool as hell, gonna be keeping my eye on that thanks meatpimp.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 29, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seminal Flu posted:

I'd rather just go outside. I really just wanted a way to do intervals without worry about running into things or breaking my bike.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

I'd rather just go outside. I really just wanted a way to do intervals without worry about running into things or breaking my bike.

So would I but Zwift.... is tolerable. I still really hate trainers but it does take the edge off the suck value. I cant ride due do my bowels not wanting to hold in food right now but at least I can Zwift for a half hour. And run for the bathroom if need be.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I rode my bike down some stairs for the first time. It was scary and cool and exhilarating.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I unloaded maybe a ton (35 12 foot 6x6 posts) for my fence project and my new to me 40 year old back is hurting in ways I don't recall feeling before

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

I unloaded maybe a ton (35 12 foot 6x6 posts) for my fence project and my new to me 40 year old back is hurting in ways I don't recall feeling before

Got 1/3 of mine done. Had issues with (big) rocks digging the post holes, had to buy a breaking bar to smash through them and had to resort to cutting a post short. My hands are the most sore, must be from whacking at rocks with the heavy bar. Yay me I still get to finish the other 2/3 and hang two gates :smithicide:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Hell yeah making some real progress on my running, just averaged 7:34 over 3.7 miles with a fastest split of 7:22/mi

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Got 1/3 of mine done. Had issues with (big) rocks digging the post holes, had to buy a breaking bar to smash through them and had to resort to cutting a post short. My hands are the most sore, must be from whacking at rocks with the heavy bar. Yay me I still get to finish the other 2/3 and hang two gates :smithicide:

Putting a new back door in this weekend (did front door past weekend). Then a family beach trip but weekend after that me and a friend start digging post holes and hope to get all these set. Then will spend the next month or two weekends doing the panel sections.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Raluek posted:

Looks like it works fine, with any file extension. Reminder that the post preview doesn't do the embed, only the live post.

Well that's where I went wrong! I didn't see anything come up in the preview and thought I was retarded. Turns out I still am, but for different reasons.

Fitchat: I've been lifting hard lately, up to four days a week of heavy squats and deadlights, and trying to hit the gym six days a week overall for the last year or so. Even with my not very optimised diet, I am down to a 31" waist in my pants, my weight is steadily going up (I'm 194 right now, and 200 is the goal) and I generally feel better physically and mentally than I probably ever have.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Photo proof I'm an idiot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Paid off another credit card today. Debt free is sooooooooooooooooo close.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Fit chat: Been going to the gym regularly since the end of January, and have had my diet on point too. I'm down 23lbs as of Saturday and my lifts are the best they've ever been.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp... actually woke up early (for me) and knocked out work, last delivery was 2 miles from home (always nice, especially during rush hour).

.... because I thought we were supposed to get fisted by storms around 6pm, and wanted to be off the road by then. Nope, drat storms decided "hey Oklahoma looks like more fun!". Still another round of storms coming overnight, and possibly a lot of nastiness tomorrow. Damnit. Normally I'd just stay home if the weather was gonna be ugly, but I have to pay rent this weekend, and tomorrow is the last day of this pay period (get paid for Mon-Wed on Friday).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
When I was in high school I was diagnosed with ADD but shrugged it off; I've been diagnosed again as an adult (now called inattentive-type ADHD; no hyperactivity) and I'm wondering how to treat it so I can hold my grip better at work. I've previously floundered in full time jobs but have done well with part time gigs; I'm currently working full time and am banging my head against the wall by lunch. Anyone else have this going on? What worked for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I was diagnosed with the same sadbrains stuff as a kid and its continued into adulthood. Somehow, the parts store life works for my broken brain. A constant stream of different challenges, puzzles and issues is like loving catnip to me and probably what makes me not be burnt out after a year and a half of full time. Outside of the standard soul crushing bullshit that is retail of course. It still fucks with me and I have to force myself into my closing or opening routine at a certain time and double check everything important. All doors have to be jarred back and forth to make sure they are locked, I have to put my right foot down on the safe handle to verify its locked and I have to sit and run through my checklist every night. Basically, I just have to double check all my routine daily tasks, then I can let my brain run wild on random odd jobs (like redoing store layouts, etc) or tracking down oddball parts. I figured out a while back that I'd never be able to hold down a standard cubicle type job without medication that makes me feel alien in my own skin, so I went with whatever I could get and lucked out.

• Locked thread