Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

YggdrasilTM posted:

I mean, I'm sure that when they printed Elesh Norn in loving phyrexian people complained that the card was unreadable, right?

The difference is that the Judge Elesh Norn looks loving baller and these look like complete poo poo. Also people know what Elesh Norn does in constructed. Good luck parsing all the card elements to whoever gets introduced to Chain/Chair Lightning by opening one of these at prerelease. Also the P/T being stacked vertically is colossally stupid. Literally the only benefit to these existing is that they fulfill my wish of WotC printing tournament-playable cards for people who don't care about the way cards in their deck look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Finally, the Virbicate reprint we've all been waiting for.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/846850855626145792

WOTC and Trick are getting worked right now on twitter.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
https://twitter.com/maro254/status/846879106574663680

:allears:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ha, that's pretty cool.

Mind Twist isn't amazingly good anymore, but it is iconic and a good include.

You will ruin your opponents day with Mind Twist at prerelease.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Angry Grimace posted:

oh yeah and it'll be rad as gently caress to watch him mutter about how bad the new invocations look as he scoops

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

it seems to be a very love it or hate it thing, it's closer then i thought it would be

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Angry Grimace posted:

You will ruin their Magic playing experience for the rest of their lives.

That's what Mind Twist does, maaaan.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

They should make lotto ticket cards with that tapestry generator

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It could have been worse. They could have used Papyrus font for the rules text.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I refuse to believe these are real. This is the ultimate April Fools joke by Wizards

Also, I agree that Patrick Rothfuss sucks and the books he writes are poo poo

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Well gently caress me sideways, I need to get me a bunch of these.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

lol I actually kind of like this one, it's so ridiculous. Reminds me of Asterix comics or something.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

*Designer, in George Lucas voice*

"I may have gone too far in a few places"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mandatory lesbian posted:

it seems to be a very love it or hate it thing, it's closer then i thought it would be

I don't remember anything close to as much negativity on the first two. People had complaints about Expeditions, the main one being that they wished they were more transparent to show off the cool full-frame art, but generally people liked them, and I don't recall anyone having anything bad to say about the frame style of Inventions. Inventions look amazing. At most, some people disliked some of the specific artworks on some of them.

Looking on Twitter I'm seeing about 75-25 people hating Invocations viciously and in-depth vs. generic "looks cool!" comments.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i was expecting 90-10, so yeah, closer then i thought

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

You know that 5 geek social fallacies webpage? Basically the way every interaction with WotC goes is a big blinking "Ostracizers/Criticizers are Evil". These POSs are a prime example.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dark Ritual is a Masterpiece too

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

They have to be taking notice and not just dismissing it as "people always hate change", right? Was there any negative reaction to Inventions?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

That is some horrendous loving art. Why does the cat god look like that?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Entropic posted:

They have to be taking notice and not just dismissing it as "people always hate change", right? Was there any negative reaction to Inventions?

They looked a little gaudy in the previews but turned out pretty good when on actual foiled cards. These are fundamentally flawed and no foiling is going to make them not look bad.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

new ReBoot shaping up to be a monster

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I legit couldn't even read Vindicate's name until I looked down and checked the rules text. These are the worst tcg cards I've ever seen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

That is some horrendous loving art. Why does the cat god look like that?

3D foil effect will make it looks more like normal art

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

That BarkActual art looks cool, I hate the frame

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Holy gently caress this is unbelievable and hilarious that someone conceived of this and someone signed off on this.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not that many real money cards yet, are there?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

gently caress this would have been nice

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Entropic posted:

They're going to say some poo poo about how they knew this would be controversial, but they were really pleased by how it was received in the microdemographic they were targeting or something.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Elyv posted:

BARKACTUAL

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

clamiam45 posted:

Holy gently caress this is unbelievable and hilarious that someone conceived of this and someone signed off on this.

Imagine someone pulling off the mythic task of pulling a Dark Ritual and a Mind Twist in his prerelease pool.

Imagine turn 2 Dark ritual into Mind Twist.

It's possible, in 2017.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Now read the type line. You've gotta have a degree in cryptography to read the type line.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Just wow. These cards look like poo poo.

It's like they saw this:

And asked themselves how they could make it look even worse and ended up with something that looks like an unreadable version of this:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

This one actually looks pretty good. The art fits well with the frame and so the card forms one congruent whole. The symmetry in particular really helps. If they all looked like this it wouldn't be so bad.

I'm not sure what the art has to do with producing extra mana though. If you renamed it to City of Brass it would be much better.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

clamiam45 posted:

Now read the type line. You've gotta have a degree in cryptography to read the type line.

Pretend I edited that numbers gif so it ends with the guy seeing "instant."

Jabor posted:

I'm not sure what the art has to do with producing extra mana though. If you renamed it to City of Brass it would be much better.

It's fine. It's like "Yo, Bolas shrine, gimme some mana. TIA." On par with the other rituals minus the spell caster.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

This one actually looks pretty good. The art fits well with the frame and so the card forms one congruent whole. The symmetry in particular really helps. If they all looked like this it wouldn't be so bad.

Totally agree.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Do you think they spent actual money to get some experts on hieroglyphics to concoct this nonsense, or did they just run the cardnames through wingdings and call it a day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jabor posted:

This is the best looking one.

This still looks terrible.

I'm pretty sure it's people marching to a sacrifice altar or something. It's hard to see with 4 pixels of the card being devoted to actual art.

• Locked thread