Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's pretty amazing that Marvel can manage to gently caress up at such a profound and offensive level like this. There is nothing ok or acceptable about the notion and even if it were in the hands of the greatest writer in the world it would still be completely hosed. In the hands of Spenser? It's going to be offensive and terrible.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/26/marvelssecretempireaxisallies/

"In our previous article, we told how it is revealed that Captain America, Steve Rogers, was always Hydra…because originally Hydra (and thus, the Nazis) won World War II. The Allies, in a last ditch attempt, use a Cosmic Cube to alter reality so that Hydra and the Nazis lose, and that is the Marvel Universe we know. A world that was artificially fabricated by the Allies, including a truly Allies-loyal Cap (possibly because the Allies never learned of his deception?). And thus, when Kobik turned Cap to Hydra, she was actually awakening his true self from the original timeline before the Allies changed everything, and thus allowing Rogers to restore Hydra to its ‘rightful’ position."

???

Ahahahaha oh my god. This is incredible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It takes a bold and perceptive mind to look at the current state of the world and go "Hm, yes, maybe we should do a story about how the Nazis were right OR about how mass mind control is 100% justified."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I've stuck up for a lot of Nick Spencer's work in the past but wow this is dumb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this is gonna be real bad isn't it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wasn't planning to read it anyway, so whatever. Hopefully it won't matter in any Marvel books I am reading. (This is how I feel about all crossover/events I don't intend to read.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel really doesn't want to get back all the readers they've pushed away.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Marvel 2016: A thrilling tale brought to you by Lehmann and König!!!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lmao this is hilarious. This is so bad and the only reason I read Steve Rogers is because I like HYDRA as an evil organization and I thought it was interesting. But Jesus H. Christ, doing anything other than Kobik warping Steve's background to make him HYDRA is absolutely terrible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does this mean that all of Marvel Comics, starting with Timely's Captain America #1, has retroactively been made one long, gigantic What If?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Eh. Give it like 3 years.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:stonk:

I'm really glad Moon Knight is almost over. It's the only Marvel book I'm reading at the moment and once that's through I can just wait for them to get their act together again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am not even sure what that twist even adds to the story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I've seen that kind of twist work but only in stuff that was specifically set up for it and not, you know, the Marvel universe.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
This is what brings Jack Kirby back to life to enact punchy vengeance.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm not exactly against this in theory but the execution is not going to make this work

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

redbackground posted:

This is what brings Jack Kirby back to life to enact punchy vengeance.

Well in that case, I'm now cautiously optimistic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am not even sure what that twist even adds to the story.

In theory it adds a touch of moral ambiguity and a semi-rational justification for characters on the bad side to feel justified in their actions without being cartoonishly evil. "Oh, my choice is to have my entire identity erased or be helping Nazis win"

It's just absurdly poorly timed from every perspective and there is no chance of the writers pulling it off well enough to either justify the concept or not say some absurdly lovely things.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

JordanKai posted:

:stonk:

I'm really glad Moon Knight is almost over. It's the only Marvel book I'm reading at the moment and once that's through I can just wait for them to get their act together again.

At least pick up Gwenpool/US Avengers/Nova to give them an idea of the direction they should be going in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

In theory it adds a touch of moral ambiguity and a semi-rational justification for characters on the bad side to feel justified in their actions without being cartoonishly evil. "Oh, my choice is to have my entire identity erased or be helping Nazis win"

It's just absurdly poorly timed from every perspective and there is no chance of the writers pulling it off well enough to either justify the concept or not say some absurdly lovely things.

But they are Hydra, the very definition of cartoonishly evil.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
poo poo like that makes me miss Shooter. Say what you will, Jim Shooter would never let that be published.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gatts posted:

Eh. Give it like 3 years.

Or even if this is just some cosmic cube fuckry

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think anyone expects this to stick forever. it's just a dumb idea

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, this is about the time people should make legit angry phone calls and get sweaty Joe Q on CNN trying to defend this.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

enigmahfc posted:

Generations doesn't have Johnny Blaze and Danny Ketch sitting down and rapping with the current Ghost Rider? What the gently caress Marvel, I had my money ready.

he got deported

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/26/marvelssecretempireaxisallies/

"In our previous article, we told how it is revealed that Captain America, Steve Rogers, was always Hydra…because originally Hydra (and thus, the Nazis) won World War II. The Allies, in a last ditch attempt, use a Cosmic Cube to alter reality so that Hydra and the Nazis lose, and that is the Marvel Universe we know. A world that was artificially fabricated by the Allies, including a truly Allies-loyal Cap (possibly because the Allies never learned of his deception?). And thus, when Kobik turned Cap to Hydra, she was actually awakening his true self from the original timeline before the Allies changed everything, and thus allowing Rogers to restore Hydra to its ‘rightful’ position."

???

ahhahahahaha

after years of people giving me poo poo about how much the Ultimate Universe sucked (hint: it didn't) turns out 616 was the garbage universe all along.

#bringbackUltimatecanon

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mr President posted:

ahhahahahaha

after years of people giving me poo poo about how much the Ultimate Universe sucked (hint: it didn't) turns out 616 was the garbage universe all along.

#bringbackUltimatecanon

Yeah but in the Ultimate universe, Colossus was gay so that would totally trigger you...

:shrug:

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

pubic works project posted:

Yeah but in the Ultimate universe, Colossus was gay so that would totally trigger you...

:shrug:

No that was ok because it was depicted in a realistic manner and more importantly they built him from the ground up as a gay character they didn't suddenly change him after several decades establishing him as a straight.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Mr President posted:

ahhahahahaha

#bringbackUltimatecanon

The main universe's gently caress ups do not make the Ultimate universe good.

SMP
May 5, 2009

The Ultimate Universe was pretty great but even when it was pretty bad I admired their will to completely tear something down. Europe was completely destroyed :eurovision:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
On the bright side the Marvel comics I read, the Star Wars ones,Thor, and The Ulimates. Shouldn't be too affected by this.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 28, 2017

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Actually when you think about it in the Marvel Universe the Nazis had all that crazy advanced comic book tech/weapons + supervillains but then again so did the Allies. I don't really know enough about Marvel's golden age era to say which side was more OP.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

SilverSupernova posted:

The main universe's gently caress ups do not make the Ultimate universe good.

Ultimate Spider-Man alone is superior to anything from the main universe and that's not even talking about the excellent series by Mark Millar, Warren Ellis, and Jonathan Hickman. If it wasn't for Marvel giving Jeph Loeb carte blanche the Ultimate universe would be the main continuity now. It's no wonder why all the Marvel media from shows to movies are heavily influenced by the Ultimate incarnations of the characters.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They have the aesthetics of the ultimate universe and that's about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I'm surprised because I wouldn't have thought Identity Crisis was a book Marvel wanted to emulate.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man. I just hope that this is Spencer's big finale to Captain America stuff and come October we can get a neater run. Who the heck even thought to greenlight all that poo poo.

...how many comics will get a new #1 thanks to the inevitable conclusion to that lovely setup?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The new brand will be Marvel: Oops, All #1s!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hate this so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Man. I just hope that this is Spencer's big finale to Captain America stuff and come October we can get a neater run. Who the heck even thought to greenlight all that poo poo.

...how many comics will get a new #1 thanks to the inevitable conclusion to that lovely setup?

Along with Marvel Oops Phase I guess we're going to need a Cosmic Cube to fix all this poo poo again...right? Or can we get some other super powered man/doohicky?

• Locked thread