Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ensign Expendable posted:

There was an endless arms race between the military denaturing the alcohol and conscripted chemistry students finding ways to make it drinkable again.

Was there much frontline distilling going on? I would assume that knowing how to turn basic plant matter into hooch was a pretty wide spread skill in rural Russia in the early 20th century, and given enough of a desire to get hosed up pretty much any plant material can ferment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Guessing this is a case where the torpedoes run on ethanol fuel?

Seem to remember there's a soviet fighter jet that needed ethanol to run too, achieving similar results.

It was actually hydraulic fluid! Gonna cross post from AI since there are some choice qoutes

MrChips posted:

Where the MiG-25 went wrong was with a common characteristic of many Soviet aircraft; the hydraulic system. Instead of a conventional hydraulic fluid, the MiG-25 used pure grain alcohol as hydraulic fluid. Being Russian at heart, pilots and ground crews alike in MiG-25 squadrons formed miniature black-market bootlegging rings to sell this free, state-supplied nectar, skimming off a bit of fluid every now and again and selling it in makeshift market stands outside the gates of their fighter bases! It was such a popular thing to do that the MiG-25 quickly earned the nickname “Massandra”, which is a backronym in Russian for “Mikoyan Aviation equips alcohol, people happy with decision of aircraft designer”. Famously (and perhaps apocryphally), the wives of these bootlegger-pilots began a letter-writing campaign, sending letters to both the MiG design bureau and the Air Ministry, demanding that a change be made to the MiG-25 to rid the aircraft of its boozy hydraulic fluid. Artem Mikoyan bristled at the suggestion, stating that “If aircraft system performance demands we fill it with the finest Armenian cognac, then that’s what we’ll use drat it!” Ultimately, later versions of the MiG-25 switched to a more conventional hydraulic fluid; certainly not because of the endemic bootlegging either.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Probably. Most other nations' navies weren't dry like the USN. The British and Australians used to be able to barter for supplies by trading whisky to American crews.

That's not to say there wasn't illicit drinking going on in those navies. One example that comes to mind was an Australian petty officer catching some of his ship's crew passing beer into the ship through the (empty) sonar dome mounting while the ship was in dry dock.

Did they have a don't drink and dive policy?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I've read that old school navigational compasses were filled with alcohol way back when as well, leading to yet another piece of equipment that had to be guarded least Able Seaman Bob drink it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've read that old school navigational compasses were filled with alcohol way back when as well, leading to yet another piece of equipment that had to be guarded least Able Seaman Bob drink it.

The Whiskey Compass on USA planes.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
In one of my classes I had a guy who said he was a former Bear pilot. He told me all of the various places the crew would siphon off ethanol for drinking. There were apparently quite a few. Including one conveniently in the cockpit for the pilot and copilot.

Thomamelas fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 28, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Was there much frontline distilling going on? I would assume that knowing how to turn basic plant matter into hooch was a pretty wide spread skill in rural Russia in the early 20th century, and given enough of a desire to get hosed up pretty much any plant material can ferment.

Haven't read about anything like that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A list of British Army regimental nicknames through the ages....

Kind of curious about other countries ones if they do this too.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I think that's big with the Army (Old Ironsides, Big Red One, I'm sure someone former Army can say more).

Not so much the Marine Corps. Units definitely have nicknames and call signs and mottos with historical significance but I can't think of any big deal "historical" names other than the Walking Dead (1/9) which dates back to Vietnam. Could be more I'm not familiar with though. Like, you never call a unit by its nickname or call sign really

Then you've got stuff based on location and battle or campaign rather than unit (Battling Bastards of Bataan)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

These things change with every generation, and well half of them are born by interservice rivalry where I imagine you'd not want to openly use the more comical/disrespectful ones around said groups.

I do like the Coldsteam Guard is nicknamed The Coldstreamers. I imagine this really is case of 'don't loving call us anything else now or else, old boy...'.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Interesting. I really like all the British ones. They're really colorful and make every unit sound elite and special. I go down Wikipedia wormhole all the time going from regiment to regiment reading histories because I saw a cool name in a book and went to research the origin "real quick"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Indians and Pakistanis clashed a few times at sea in the 70s. Notable for being some of the first uses of ship to ship missiles in combat. Destroyers and frigates mostly from what I recall.

The US also used naval aircraft off CVNs to gently caress up some Libyan ships in the late 70s or early 80s if you're counting carrier ops. I'm pretty sure that involved killing some old destroyers or something of that magnitude.

edit: pretty sure there have been some submarine attacks on surface vessels too. I think I recall that being part of the India-Pakistan dust up, and more recently you have the DPRK torpedoing an ROK ship, but I can't remember how big that one was.

USS Saratoga had a blue-on-blue incident where it accidentally fired two Sea Sparrows and hit the bridge of a Turkish destroyer. Damaged it badly enough that it was scrapped, too.

And in the late 80s, there was Operation Praying Mantis where the US got sufficiently pissed-off at the Iranians for mining the Persian Gulf that it flipped out on their surface forces, destroying a few ships and oil platforms. The USS Wainwright (a cruiser) and USS Simpson (a frigate) hit an Iranian missile boat with five SM-2s, and then finished it off with their deck guns. A US destroyer also might have scored with a Harpoon hit on an Iranian frigate, but since an A-6 also fired 6 missiles at the thing at the same time and it was blown to hell and gone when the fires reached its magazines it's hard to say.

Also, how hosed up does your country have to be where "finest Armenian cognac" is hyperbole for "something really good and fancy"?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SeanBeansShako posted:

You can tell that most or all of the nicknames are affectionate terms invented by members of the unit itself, otherwise there'd be a lot of Highland Wankers, Queen's Own Tossers, Royal Twats etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cognac is manky but Armenia is in literally classical wine country so I don't see a problem.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SeanBeansShako posted:

These things change with every generation, and well half of them are born by interservice rivalry where I imagine you'd not want to openly use the more comical/disrespectful ones around said groups.

I do like the Coldsteam Guard is nicknamed The Coldstreamers. I imagine this really is case of 'don't loving call us anything else now or else, old boy...'.

Much the same with The Cameronians, whose nickname is The Cameronians. Lot of thought went into that one.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Can't recall if I've read it or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had to post marines on Lord Nelson's pickled corpse.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Phanatic posted:

Also, how hosed up does your country have to be where "finest Armenian cognac" is hyperbole for "something really good and fancy"?

What's wrong with Armenian cognac?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

my dad posted:

What's wrong with Armenian cognac?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/03/the-spirit-of-armenia/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Can't recall if I've read it or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had to post marines on Lord Nelson's pickled corpse.

Didn't the crew actually drink from that barrel while he was still inside it? or is that a milhist urban legend?

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
There was never an Armenian Cognac. -Recep Tayyip Erdoğan

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the one hand, that's the most booj article I've read in some time, on the other hand, that seems appropriate for an article about cognac.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What was the reason for the Red purges within Indonesia during the 1960s?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 28, 2017

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

OwlFancier posted:

Cognac is manky but Armenia is in literally classical wine country so I don't see a problem.

Cognac is only cognac if it's from the Cognac region of France. All other "cognac" is just brandy. Like with champagne, where all of it from anywhere but Champagne is supposed to be called sparkling wine.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

What was the reason for the Red purges within Indonesia during the 1960s?

Suharto did a coup against Sukarno, wanted to purge Indonesia of communists, suspected communists, potential suspected communists.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

gohuskies posted:

Cognac is only cognac if it's from the Cognac region of France. All other "cognac" is just brandy. Like with champagne, where all of it from anywhere but Champagne is supposed to be called sparkling wine.

Let me tell you about Soviet Champagne.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Phanatic posted:

USS Saratoga had a blue-on-blue incident where it accidentally fired two Sea Sparrows and hit the bridge of a Turkish destroyer. Damaged it badly enough that it was scrapped, too.

And in the late 80s, there was Operation Praying Mantis where the US got sufficiently pissed-off at the Iranians for mining the Persian Gulf that it flipped out on their surface forces, destroying a few ships and oil platforms. The USS Wainwright (a cruiser) and USS Simpson (a frigate) hit an Iranian missile boat with five SM-2s, and then finished it off with their deck guns. A US destroyer also might have scored with a Harpoon hit on an Iranian frigate, but since an A-6 also fired 6 missiles at the thing at the same time and it was blown to hell and gone when the fires reached its magazines it's hard to say.

I consider myself a bit of military history junkie and I had never heard of Operation Praying Mantis (reallllyy shows my ignorance, and many Americans, of the while Iran-Iraq war era). I read up the wikipedia page and holy poo poo :stare:, you were not kidding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Praying_Mantis

The U.S. Navy tore apart the Iranians, and barely anyone remembers this. Just goes to show how much crazy poo poo was happening during the Cold War era. Can you image the consequences if such an engagement happened today, especially in today's media/political environment? I shudder at the thought..

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I consider myself a bit of military history junkie and I had never heard of Operation Praying Mantis (reallllyy shows my ignorance, and many Americans, of the while Iran-Iraq war era). I read up the wikipedia page and holy poo poo :stare:, you were not kidding.

The U.S. Navy tore apart the Iranians, and barely anyone remembers this. Just goes to show how much crazy poo poo was happening during the Cold War era. Can you image the consequences if such an engagement happened today, especially in today's media/political environment? I shudder at the thought..

It's probably good that sometimes poo poo like this goes without becoming a public spectacle when you're dealing with the possibility of public sentiments throwing your country into chaos and giving rise to a dangerous warmonger who blows the world up over something stupid.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

I feel like it'd be easier to make a list of things that pop culture/Hollywood gets RIGHT about the military/spies/whatever
you know, the mining/countermining scene in Alatriste was not that bad

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

one of the Tercios Viejos is the purple one but i don't remember which

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

yeah the east germans still drink georgian and armenian wine

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just googling torpedo fuel brings up a wikipedia drinks article stub. It does list the recipe for Torpedo Juice as being "two parts ethyl alcohol and three parts pineapple juice."

Apparently those spoilsport electric torpedoes put an end to the fun.

Looking through the Kriegsmarine inventory, nearly all of their torpedoes were electric. (The non-electric one burned kerosene.)

quote:

Poor range and speed were not the T2's only problems. Both of its detonators were flawed. The magnetic influence mechanism, designed to allow the torpedo to run under the keel of a ship and detonate, breaking the ship's back, was inconsistent; often a T2 would detonate prematurely, or not at all. This led the BdU to order that all G7e/T2 torpedoes be fired only for contact detonation. However, the contact pistol of the T2 also malfunctioned; the British battleship HMS Nelson managed to survive almost certain destruction when three torpedoes from U-56 struck on her keel, two broke upon hitting and the other failed to explode.[2] Captain Wilhelm Zahn of U-56 was so depressed by the evident futility of his efforts that he needed to be briefly relieved of duty by Admiral Karl Dönitz in order to compose himself, while the civilian Naval Ordnance Corps, responsible for torpedo development and maintenance, continued to insist the U-boat captains were somehow at fault. Estimates of the failure rate of T2 torpedoes for one reason or another range between 20% and 40%.[citation needed]

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The US naval campaign against Iran is for my money the most interesting naval campaign of modern history, I'm really looking forward to the point when I get to it in my write ups. It showed so much variety and ingenuity on both sides.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The U.S. Navy tore apart the Iranians, and barely anyone remembers this.

Well, this was the US Navy at its most powerful point in history. I mean, this was even more lopsided than the Gulf War, where Iraq was at least strong and worrisome on paper. If it hadn't been completely one-sided it'd have been a bigger deal.

Plus it was pretty overshadowed at the time by the Vincennes fuckup.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Vinny's takedown of the Commercial Flight was v. much intentional

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Vinny's takedown of the Commercial Flight was v. much intentional

Oh, this should be good.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Well, this was the US Navy at its most powerful point in history. I mean, this was even more lopsided than the Gulf War, where Iraq was at least strong and worrisome on paper. If it hadn't been completely one-sided it'd have been a bigger deal.

Plus it was pretty overshadowed at the time by the Vincennes fuckup.
Why would the US Navy be weaker now?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Something something Obama.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phanatic posted:

Oh, this should be good.

It's pretty simple. Vincennes's captain was convinced the airliner was an Iranian warplane broadcasting a false transponder code and ordered the shootdown over a bunch of other people's "err wait a minute"s. Turns out it was exactly what its transponder said it was, and subsequently the US government bent over backwards to avoid admitting the mistake.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Because it has a lot fewer ships, a lot fewer planes, a lot fewer people, entire specialized platforms like the Tomcat, the Intruder, the Prowler, are just gone. Naval aviation is pretty broken because O&M has been cut to the bone to pay for Operation Bomb Useless Dirt and readiness is lovely across the board. Then, it was at the peak of its size and trained and ready to fight a full-scale war against a peer opponent. Now it...it just isn't. The other services are in pretty much the same boat. The USAF is the smallest it's been since it's been the USAF.

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/grounded-nearly-two-thirds-of-us-navys-strike-fighters-cant-fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
To this day my mom, who was working at RCA when they developed Aegis, is insistent that the system worked fine, it was the crew that hosed up.