Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yo, due to some real life stuff I probably won't be around the forums much for the foreseeable future. If the time comes to make a new thread (like when the hiatus ends) and I'm not around, whoever wants to has my blessing to raise a new thread like Catrina resurrecting Mil Muertes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yo, due to some real life stuff I probably won't be around the forums much for the foreseeable future. If the time comes to make a new thread (like when the hiatus ends) and I'm not around, whoever wants to has my blessing to raise a new thread like Catrina resurrecting Mil Muertes.

Hope things turn out alright man.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Netflix next week

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
All right, boys, the day is finally here. Lucha Underground seasons 1 and 2 are live on Netflix.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Guessing it's not available on the UK Netflix?

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

not up in UK, no

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
It is available in Canada, though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Rewatching Season 1 has confirmed that Cisco is the best and most interesting wrestler of the Crew. I wish they gave him more to do in a singles run.

Vilkata
Jun 22, 2004

Going back and watching the first episodes on Netflix is a very weird experience. First off, seeing empty seats in the temple and people sitting on their hands is almost surreal. Really awesome to see how far LU has come.

Second, El Rey doesn't come over in HD on my DirecTV account. Seeing this in HD almost takes away some of the charm from this show.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Still isn't up on Netflix in Japan. Considering they've got distribution with SamuraiTV (the all-wrestling and fighting satellite channel) it may not be available soon, sadly. And also the last year or so Netflix has gotten much stricter about *ahem* regional alignment between where you and your account are at any given time.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Holy poo poo just noticed it's on Netflix. Hell yes.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
They edited the opening sequence in the pilot, I think.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Finally watched a couple episodes after being a fam of El Ray for showing movies I like and watching wresting as a kid. Just want to say this poo poo is good. Just watched the match of the gods things and am watching the follow up right now and it's really fun.

Was gonna binge the netflix stuff when I get back from my trip next month, anything I should definitely watch or skip? Or is it all pretty good?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It's all pretty good but the Aztec Warfares and All Night Long are pretty much mandatory.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Grave Consequences I is also mandatory viewing if you can't fit in all of the first season. Still one of the best matches in LU history.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Calling all Toronto goons.

I already hosed up and missed when Pentagon Jr was in town, I'll try not to gently caress this one up.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Calling all Toronto goons.

I already hosed up and missed when Pentagon Jr was in town, I'll try not to gently caress this one up.

Missed Pentagon myself (went to the Lucha Toronto show the day after it and not the Smash show like an idiot) so this is a done deal. Heads up, but Lee's is kind of a not great venue for large crowds when it comes to wrestling, so A) buy tickets early and B) show up WAY early. Or be seven feet tall, that helps too.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

KatWithHands posted:

Missed Pentagon myself (went to the Lucha Toronto show the day after it and not the Smash show like an idiot) so this is a done deal. Heads up, but Lee's is kind of a not great venue for large crowds when it comes to wrestling, so A) buy tickets early and B) show up WAY early. Or be seven feet tall, that helps too.

Hahaha, if you only knew. I'm the complete opposite of seven feet tall.

I went to the Kaiju show last month and luckily a buddy of mine was already at the front so I just hung with him all night.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Hahaha, if you only knew. I'm the complete opposite of seven feet tall.

I went to the Kaiju show last month and luckily a buddy of mine was already at the front so I just hung with him all night.

Oh man, lucky! We were there too but ended up leaving early because we didn't get there soon enough and just saw heads bobbing around all night. My brother's 6'7 and he was still going purely by the ref's reactions to things. My back felt like poo poo after two hours of standing on my tip toes. This time I bit the bullet and bought VIP tickets because why the gently caress not, I've only been dreaming about this day since I got into LU.

Edit: nevermind, it actually straight up says so on the card. I'm an idiot.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 29, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
After binging the Netflix episodes, I feel safe in saying that Mundo/Puma All Night Long is the best wrestling match on the entire show.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

so is LU closing down? https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwe-rumors-lucha-underground-is-likely-going-away-soon-or-being-morphed-into-something-else

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Fuuuuuck I hope not I was looking forward to more of it coming to Netflix :(

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Um, what is this article referencing? It says that cagesideseats has rumors about LU closing, but it doesn't link to them and I can't find this rumor on cagesideseats. This feels like it's clickbait as hell, saying literally nothing except something about industry insiders saying they think Lucha Underground might change if it's not coming back the same?

Fake edit: I found the rumor. It's literally a one-line thing that doesn't say anything else. It's below "The Drifter will likely be on one of the two main roster brands starting next week." on a list of things.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Roman Reigns posted:

Fuuuuuck I hope not I was looking forward to more of it coming to Netflix :(

There's at least one more complete season that'll be on Netflix (about half of S3 has aired on tv) so there'll be that, but yeah. :( otoh LU has been "dying" since day 1 and it keeps pulling through, right?...

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

What exactly does he mean "cease operation in a few weeks"? The back-half of Season 3 is already in the can and it's not touring, so it's just down until production starts back up again. There is no full-time staff. And the next original episode is at the end of May, I thought?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've never heard of that site before. This feels like when we used to see stuff like "WeedGoku69 reports from www.RassleNews.biz >>>CLICK HERE<<<"

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

sticklefifer posted:

I've never heard of that site before. This feels like when we used to see stuff like "WeedGoku69 reports from https://www.rasslenews.biz >>>CLICK HERE<<<"

:argh: WeedGoku69!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
I heard a rumor that Writer Cath hates WeedGoku69.

But yeah, I'm going to wait until something with some actual meat on it coming out before being too worried.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
Just to double check, the 2nd half of season 3 isn't starting until the end of May, correct?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Satin (TMZ/ProWrestlingSheet guy) speculating that LU is just about dead, and Dave confirmed on the Board that there's in-fighting among the different owners

Was a hell of a ride, especially for the first two years

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

LU's greatest accomplishment was making Penta 0M king of the American indies. We should all be grateful

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Satin (TMZ/ProWrestlingSheet guy) speculating that LU is just about dead, and Dave confirmed on the Board that there's in-fighting among the different owners

Was a hell of a ride, especially for the first two years

Seems like he's recanted that a bit:

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/854778977319124992

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Congratulations on TNAAAA in moving forward to the future

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Is there any real proof outside of Dave's word? He pretty much has been predicting their death from the start and has come off as not being a fan of theirs for some reason.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

He pretty much has been predicting their death from the start and has come off as not being a fan of theirs for some reason.

Neither of those is true

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

At the end of every season he has dropped rumors that they wouldn't be able to make the next one. Without something else backing up that statement I'm going to be skeptical.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Well their ratings aren't particularly good and because they aren't touring they don't make any money during the off season. Their shows are super expensive to make and the plan was to be able to move up in the world of media which they haven't been able to do.

MassRayPer wrote a lot of :words: a while back about how the show isn't for anyone except young white dudes, but I think that's still a decent enough market that they could survive off some sort of Pateron supported deal while touring.

No clue how much this Netflix deal is getting them but that's a good start to getting seen by a larger audience as a lot of people still didn't have access to the show.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I've long suspected that LU was on borrowed time when they put Season 3 on hiatus out of nowhere, with zero plans to tape Season 4. The Netflix deal is cool, but from what I gather, studios barely make a dime on Netflix.

I'm probably the biggest LU mark left on this forum besides StarkRavingMad, but even I can't defend how badly they've done getting eyeballs on the product. The ratings are legitimately dismal, they made some questionable booking decisions that cut off potential breakout stars at the knees (HI PENTAGON AT ULTIMA LUCHA DOS!), and holding guys under contract hostage is pretty gross. If it wasn't a Robert Rodriguez vanity project I wonder if they'd even last to Season 3 -- El Rey has canceled shows with better ratings before.

Ah well, I'll enjoy whatever is left of Season 3, and hope that Puma and Pentagon and Fenix and the gang will get prominent TV bookings afterwards.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 20, 2017

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Benne posted:

I've long suspected that LU was on borrowed time when they put Season 3 on hiatus out of nowhere, with zero plans to tape Season 4. The Netflix deal is cool, but from what I gather, studios barely make a dime on Netflix.

I'm probably the biggest LU mark left on this forum besides StarkRavingMad, but even I can't defend how badly they've done getting eyeballs on the product. The ratings are legitimately dismal, they made some questionable booking decisions that cut off potential breakout stars at the knees (HI PENTAGON AT ULTIMA LUCHA DOS!), and holding guys under contract hostage is pretty gross. If it wasn't a Robert Rodriguez vanity project I wonder if they'd even last to Season 3 -- El Rey has canceled shows with better ratings before.

Ah well, I'll enjoy whatever is left of Season 3, and hope that Puma and Pentagon and Fenix and the gang will get prominent TV bookings afterwards.

If it makes you feel better, the second half of Season 3 is pretty loving rad, from what I remember seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

AKA Driver posted:

If it makes you feel better, the second half of Season 3 is pretty loving rad, from what I remember seeing.

That's what I heard, and I'm still super-hyped for the Mundo/Mack All Night Long match.

It's just weird that El Rey would take LU off the air for months in the middle of a season. Wrestling shows rely on week-to-week momentum, and at least the Ultima Lucha finales provided a solid end-point and teased cliffhangers while LU took season breaks. But going on hiatus on short notice? At a time when your show is already struggling with cooled-off buzz? That's not good.

• Locked thread