Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

dude said 'constantly impaled'

speaking of which why hasn't that gotten a movie reboot yet? seems like a no-brainer

pretty sure there is one stuck in dev hell currently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

pretty sure there is one stuck in dev hell currently

wonder if that'll get changed after fox showed twice that audiences are down for r-rated superpower violence

there's already one death in logan that was so absurd it instantly reminded me of mortal kombat fatalities

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brother Entropy posted:

speaking of which why hasn't that gotten a movie reboot yet? seems like a no-brainer

It did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URUJPTpZXnE

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This "Teaser for the teaser" thing is getting ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pM6fpSUJ64

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There might be some rights weirdness on Mortal Kombat in regards to movies considering it's been less than 10 years since it changed owners.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"My true country is the Moon. That's where I want to lay me down." -Tibor Nagy.

Agreed

muscles like this! posted:

There might be some rights weirdness on Mortal Kombat in regards to movies considering it's been less than 10 years since it changed owners.

I thought it was the opposite & since Warner Bros owned the game & movie licenses they rly wanted to get a movie out. Although they're kinda doing that already with Netherrealms making those DC "Injustice" games

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
From what I understand, the Mortal Kombat reboot has been stuck in development hell for a long time. I've been hearing about it for probably ten years.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Uglydolls are getting an animated movie in 2019, Robert Rodriguez will direct

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tars Tarkas posted:

Uglydolls are getting an animated movie in 2019, Robert Rodriguez will direct

I thought you were making a joke!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a teaser for a teaser. kill me please.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The best we can offer is a teaser for your death.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

For Age of Ultron they put out a promotional still of the motion poster that was to advertise the five seconds of teaser footage to promote the actual teaser for the trailer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So in the Jumanji reboot with The Rock, Karen Gillan, and Jack Black, Jumanji isn't a board game... it's a '90s era video game.

https://twitter.com/AmyKinLA/status/846566348062797824

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

teagone posted:

So in the Jumanji reboot with The Rock, Karen Gillan, and Jack Black, Jumanji isn't a board game... it's a '90s era video game.

https://twitter.com/AmyKinLA/status/846566348062797824

It was fairly obvious given that Gillan's character is an expy of Lara Croft.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I hope The Rock is a Doomguy type.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's an odd choice to the extent that children still play board games. Uh, children still play board games right?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Board game cafes are still a thing and monopoly and catan still destroy marriages so yeah

The video game is probably easier and cheaper to market and produce as merchandise than a board game

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Board game cafes are still a thing and monopoly and catan still destroy marriages so yeah

The video game is probably easier and cheaper to market and produce as merchandise than a board game

I know dirty hipsters play Catan but do like 10 year olds.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hope it's a badly compressed FMV game and Dwayne meets the actor who played him and he's homeless now.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
plus little kids are probably more familiar with video games than board games and (presumably?) they're the target audience for this thing? honestly not sure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Board games for families and kids and adults have been doing really well in the last few years. Not so sure about teenagers, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Leavemywife posted:

I hope The Rock is a Doomguy type.

It's the least they could do after putting him in the goddamn Doom movie and not making him the doomguy.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

I know dirty hipsters play Catan but do like 10 year olds.

My niece beat my parents at it when she was ~10. She had a strategy that involved getting all the sheep but really she ended up convincing me that making towers out of the pieces was more fun than the game.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm assuming they aren't going to market and produce a 90s era video game console

It's a video game console because that's what people who were kids in the 90s are nostalgic for and video games are what kids of today play, not board games so it appeals to a range of demographics. Board games are pretty obscure compared to video games, and uh yeah i'm guessing they want to appeal to more people than just the ones who go to something called a "board game cafe"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

dont even fink about it posted:

In spite of Star Wars, not because of it. Episode I was nearly the end of her career.

lol calm down. The prequels spanned 1999-2005. Cold Mountain, Closer, and and Garden State came out during the prequel run, and right after, she was in V For Vendetta and Darjeeling Limited.

But yeah, the prequels nearly ended her career, and not being in, oh, I dunno, Mars Attacks right before Episode I. :rolleyes:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ruddiger posted:

lol calm down. The prequels spanned 1999-2005. Cold Mountain, Closer, and and Garden State came out during the prequel run, and right after, she was in V For Vendetta and Darjeeling Limited.

But yeah, the prequels nearly ended her career, and not being in, oh, I dunno, Mars Attacks right before Episode I. :rolleyes:

Yeah, her rate of work actually accelerated dramatically after Phantom Menace, while she went two whole years without any films before that. Just looking at her IMDB page would have been enough.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm assuming they aren't going to market and produce a 90s era video game console

It's a video game console because that's what people who were kids in the 90s are nostalgic for and video games are what kids of today play, not board games so it appeals to a range of demographics. Board games are pretty obscure compared to video games, and uh yeah i'm guessing they want to appeal to more people than just the ones who go to something called a "board game cafe"

i'm assuming they'll create a retro game like the Wreck it Ralph mobile game and distribute it on ios/android/steam , not actually build a new console

e: um wait, i think i misread your post. do 90s kids only wax nostalgic over the consoles and not the games? i'm confused

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wandle Cax posted:

That's correct, because whomever thought they would go through the trouble of making a 'Gametendo 32' to market and sell is a loving idiot.

It makes much more sense to craft a fake game that's essentially Mario Party and have the characters get all nostalgic about it.

Just like Fix it Felix Jr. was a pseudo Mario clone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FilthyImp posted:

That's correct, because whomever thought they would go through the trouble of making a 'Gametendo 32' to market and sell is a loving idiot.

It makes much more sense to craft a fake game that's essentially Mario Party and have the characters get all nostalgic about it.

Just like Fix it Felix Jr. was a pseudo Mario clone.

Also make a run game for phones with characters from the movie. Jumanj as a video game is basically just pitfall with slightly better graphics, which is basically just a run game.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, her rate of work actually accelerated dramatically after Phantom Menace, while she went two whole years without any films before that. Just looking at her IMDB page would have been enough.

Her career started with The Professional and Heat, does she even need to act anymore?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Man, lot of people forgetting Black Swan in this thread.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Is this a diss on Mars Attacks??? It better not be!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Mars Attacks is dope homie. Plz do not disrespect

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mars Attacks is arguably the only good movie Tim Burton has made in the last 21 years.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Fish was good.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I wish Mars Attacks had gotten two sequels instead of The Phantom Menace.

TBH that's selling Mars Attack short; it's not merely good, but among the best movies I've ever seen.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Well I don't know about all that friend, like Im pretty sure it was just good, and that's plenty

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ruddiger posted:

quote:

Portman: Star Wars had come out around the time of Seagull, and everyone thought I was a horrible actress. I was in the biggest-grossing movie of the decade, and no director wanted to work with me. Mike wrote a letter to Anthony Minghella and said, “Put her in Cold Mountain, I vouch for her.” And then Anthony passed me on to Tom Tykwer, who passed me on to the Wachowskis. I worked with Milos Forman a few years later. He said, “Mike saved me. He wrote a letter so that I could get asylum in the U.S.” He did that for 50 people, and it doesn’t make any one of us feel less special.

It takes her four years and a favor to get something good after Episode I, exactly as I said.

http://nymag.com/news/articles/reasonstoloveny/2014/mike-nichols/

PS if you Google Natalie Portman career, links to this story are like the third result.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

parallelodad posted:

Big Fish was good.

It was cute, wouldn't put it in his top films. Sweeney Todd was a good adaptation, amazing visuals, but a bit uneven.
I'm alone on this it seems, but I like Dark Shadows, it was clever, weird, and gorgeous. But I can't really blame people for being sick of Depp's lazy poo poo.
I'm a scrub that still hasn't seen Big Eyes, but it looks good.

Huh, looking at imdb he did Miss Peregrine's, figured it was just some Burton wannabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I hope there is a Jumanji Power Magazine

• Locked thread