Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

ntan1 posted:

You can experience Japanese nature, food, food culture and agriculture near Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe.

The Kinki Region (Kansai Region) is the leading tourist spot in Japan, with Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe supported by their long history and culture, and has been welcoming large numbers of tourists from all over the world every year. The fact is that there are some unknown agricultural, mountain and fishing villages featuring attractive nature, food and food culture located near these tourist attractions, in which people can experience Japanese daily life, agriculture and traditional culture. For example, for daily life experience, Hino Town (Shiga Prefecture), located to the east of Kyoto, offers tasting of country-style cooking, making of Japanese confectioneries, and working with bamboo-ware. For an agricultural experience, Tanabe City (Wakayama Prefecture), located to the south of Osaka, offers mandarin picking and jam making, while staying in farmhouses. For traditional cultural experiences, Chado (tea ceremony) and Kado (Japanese flower arrangement) can be experienced in Kyoto City.
Why not experience “Japanese culture” only available in Japan?

You can experience the Okinawan culture such as traditional arts and crafts.

Okinawa has so much to offer including the beautiful sea, natural forests, the world heritage sites with a long history, the own unique food culture, various shopping spots and more. Pick the best plan which fits for your style of traveling among “First-timer Course,” “Area-specific Course,” “North Course by Bus” and “Shopping Area” to enjoy sightseeing in Okinawa!

The first trip to Okinawa. “Shurijo Castle, Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium, there are places I want to visit, but I don’t know the location and how to go in order.” Here are the recommended plans for the first-timers to visit all the tourist spots. You don’t need to worry about anything as long as you have this plan!

Let’s go to Northern Okinawa! Covering from the West Coast where resort hotels are lined up to Kori Island crossing a big bridge to very popular Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium, this is the course that driving to beautiful blue ocean one after another. Because of the fascinated experience you have with this plan, you will be determined to come back here! While remembering the beautiful view of Okinawa, head to Naha City from Northern Okinawa. You cannot forget to buy souvenirs before you leave. Various types of souvenirs are available at the airport, but it is good to stop by at a nearby outlet mall before heading to the airport.

Let’s get a souvenir for yourself as a memory of the trip.

Sweet, just added that to the list.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Guys I just got to New York and I'm hanging around Times Square and the statue of liberty but there's all these tourists what gives?!?

photomikey posted:

I arrived in Kyoto today. First impression: I have been in US cities that had more Japanese people and less English-speaking white people than Kyoto.

:glomp:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
We couldnt figure it out. We went to a bathhouse and freshened up there. We are going to kyoto soon anyway

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Finalized all my plans so I'll have 2 and a half days in Osaka, and then like 3~4 in and around Kyoto depending on how I play it with trains before heading off to Tokyo and beyond.

Anyone have any super awesome recs for food in Osaka or Kyoto? There's a ton of suggestions for Tokyo, but I haven't found much for the other two trawling through this thread. I eat everything.

I already have a few from friends, but eating is p much my favorite thing to do so more is always better. I'll be traveling alone and willing to splurge on a good meal or three.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a really reasonable Mexican place in Kyoto. Highly recommended. They have all of the classics such as Burrito Supreme.

eat okonomiyaki for every meal

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Daruma is my favourite kushikatsu place in Osaka (it is a chain, all over the city but only in Osaka)

Ikkaku is some of the best chicken I've had

Also eat okonomiyaki and takoyaki, got no suggestions really for either. Get in line at the busiest takoyaki stand in Dotonbori I guess for that

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

Finalized all my plans so I'll have 2 and a half days in Osaka, and then like 3~4 in and around Kyoto depending on how I play it with trains before heading off to Tokyo and beyond.

Anyone have any super awesome recs for food in Osaka or Kyoto? There's a ton of suggestions for Tokyo, but I haven't found much for the other two trawling through this thread. I eat everything.

I already have a few from friends, but eating is p much my favorite thing to do so more is always better. I'll be traveling alone and willing to splurge on a good meal or three.

I don't have anything I've been to personally, but this guy on foursquare's recs have usually been p good: https://foursquare.com/fuyuhiko?all=lists&geoId=72057594039781845

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Looks like I'll be coming to Japan at the end of May to work in Kanazawa! Looks like a neat little city, but does anyone know anything about the area?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was there on vacation. Pleasant enough place, transportation was rough but I wasn't there long enough to learn the buses, seafood is really good. They also make a lot of good local sake. Urban planning wise it's the most American midwest city I've ever seen outside the American midwest, which was weird.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
If you eat everything, spend a day eating random stuff walking down the main market streets of Kyoto and Osaka. Those broad bean crackers are still in my dreams (from Kyoto).

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mandalay posted:

If you eat everything, spend a day eating random stuff walking down the main market streets of Kyoto and Osaka. Those broad bean crackers are still in my dreams (from Kyoto).

I am gonna spend almost every day walking around eating random stuff. I'm very boring on vacation.

Stringent posted:

I don't have anything I've been to personally, but this guy on foursquare's recs have usually been p good: https://foursquare.com/fuyuhiko?all=lists&geoId=72057594039781845

this is really good thanks!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
That's objectively the best way to travel though

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

There's a cafe/bar called Nellie in Umeda that does really good lunch curry and nice coffee.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Magna Kaser posted:

I am gonna spend almost every day walking around eating random stuff. I'm very boring on vacation.

Yes, it is much more interesting to be a person who books dozens of tours and sticks with a group of people on an itinerary that allows them no freedom of experience

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
Thanks so much guys! Very excited to check out all these new places :)

Magna Kaser posted:

I lived in Kyoto for a year and wrote a bunch of obnoxious gushy recs because I love food way too much.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758863&perpage=40#post457670099

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758863&perpage=40#post457617693

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Thanks so much guys! Very excited to check out all these new places :)

I lived in Kyoto for a year and wrote a bunch of obnoxious gushy recs because I love food way too much.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758863&perpage=40#post457670099

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758863&perpage=40#post457617693

Cool! Thanks for these.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've got my bike trip from Fukuoka to Tokyo planned out here, although I've researched it primarily from a cycling point of view. Anyone able to give any suggestions for places to check out or stay at along the way? I've got a whole week of unallocated days for things going wrong, but if things go smoothly I'll have more free time than I know what to do with. I've talked to my friends from there/who've lived there, but the cycling aspect means I'm going down some routes where they haven't been. Trip's gonna be from May 10 to June 20. If you wanna ride bikes, I'd totally be down!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Areqd3ncN3O3gYIymLPRvSMSAnIhiA

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Moon Slayer posted:

Looks like I'll be coming to Japan at the end of May to work in Kanazawa! Looks like a neat little city, but does anyone know anything about the area?

I used to live there, it's very livable with a nice city center and more or less anything is accessible by bicycle.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm planning a 2-week trip to Japan between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm leaning towards early in December. Anything in particular to be aware of in that time frame?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Early December has nothing in particular to avoid, and nothing in particular to be excited about.

Edit: There might be wrestling. Mask, not sumo.

peanut fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 2, 2017

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

I'm planning a 2-week trip to Japan between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm leaning towards early in December. Anything in particular to be aware of in that time frame?

You can take your romantic partner to look at christmas lights outside.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

So I'm reaching the second half of my trip and now I'm starting to think about souvenirs.

I'm getting the obligatory kitkats and Tokyo bananas, anything in particular I should look for? Was thinking about some green tea from kyoto but otherwise idk.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I usually buy weird/seasonal potato chips and green tea kit kats. Some of the bean paste souvenir snacks have obscenely long expiration dates so they're still good for international trips.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I usually do a set of something nice from one of the omiyage shops I end up going to or ryokans I end up at. Sometimes pound cake, baumkuchen, or something of that nature.

I go to Japan too much and my coworkers would probably look at me if I got Tokyo Banana for like the 4th time. But yeah, Shiroi Koibito works too after Kit Kats.

Also Tokyo Banana now makes cakes sold around Tokyo station and Ginza station called Ginza Strawberry. It's exactly what you think.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Japanese incense is really good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Gachapons?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Here's a especially goony question, so I wouldn't be surprised if no one has an answer.

the Nintendo Switch is wildly overpriced here in China due to grey market import demand ($400+), and they're significantly cheaper in Japan.

How sold out are they over there? Esp with the foreign tourists pay no tax thing it would be a p good pickup for myself.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol if you think that's goony try asking about cat5 installation or routers.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just beware that Japan (100V) uses a different voltage from china (240V)besides a different power socket.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just be aware that basically every single consumer electronic device made in the last decade has had a 100-240V transformer brick.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You know... I was thinking about the universal power brick in the back of my head

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Phone posted:

Just be aware that basically every single consumer electronic device made in the last decade has had a 100-240V transformer brick.

For most stuff that's true but Nintendo is one weird backwards rear end company. The switch does, but I think its their first piece of hardware that actually has this as standard.

The Wii U did not, and neither did 3DS chargers... in the US anyway. The charger I bought online to use here is the Japanese model which actually was 100-240v where the US charger I had was not.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going to be in Kyoto in July/August. How expensive will it be to go to say Hiroshima for a day? Also other than the palaces and Bamboo grove what are some other good things to see while there?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Do you have a rail pass?

In terms of what to do in Kyoto have you done research on the internet yet? What are you interested in?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stay one night in Hiroshima or you'll be miserable (Hiroshima is kawaii and sugoi)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

peanut posted:

Stay one night in Hiroshima or you'll be miserable (Hiroshima is kawaii and sugoi)

Seconded.

Go to the Peace Memorial Park and Museum in the afternoon on your first day and then hit up Miyajima on your second day. Gives you plenty of time to get to the top (you should go to the top) and enjoy the view. It's a really nice view.

You'll have plenty of time to get back to Kyoto that night, or even stay another night in Hiroshima if you want.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Daytrip to Nara, feeding the deer was cool and giant Buddha was really cool.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
@photomikey looks like it finally warmed up enough to cause some cherry blossoms to pop open. ~lucky~

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Of course it did. I left Tokyo Saturday. I'm stateside, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ah! Bad timing. I'm waiting to board the plane. It was warm last year, this year it's been super cold.

What were your highlights from the trip? Your family's?