Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Someone in the Jason Schreier twitter thread made the argument that talking about masturbating to video game characters is something that women do not do. Which, based on my female friends, is a loving hilarious assertion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Max Wilco posted:

I'm not sure whether I should post this or not, but it looks like people are blowing up over this:

That being said, if someone like JonTron eventually apologized for the things he's said, do you think people would accept it, or has he gone past the point of no return?

God, if this is the new discourse, count me the gently caress out. Nick is a good guy, and joking tweet about masturbating to a video game character is the VERY VERY LEAST of our problems right now. FemFreq could stand to gain some perspective.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kay Kessler posted:

Someone in the Jason Schreier twitter thread made the argument that talking about masturbating to video game characters is something that women do not do. Which, based on my female friends, is a loving hilarious assertion.

That too, I didn't realize we're suddenly gonna pretend like it's some toxic masculinity boys-only thing to talk about finding vidya gaem characters attractive, cause drat, I know some people they should meet.

achillesforever6 posted:

And play the Axis powers all the time in my RTSs phase

Hey man, Germany was/is fun stuff in Company of Heroes. :colbert:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 29, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Roth posted:

Yeah, that doesn't sound like him at all. Even about ten years ago when these guys started he was openly stating he is a feminist and takes issue with rape whenever it's brought up in any of the comics in his videos.
Like me he seemed to also go through a terrible libertarian phase a teen/young adult so I can relate to him. He did not have that horrible South Park sooo cool and edgy I'm going to draw swastikas and play the Axis powers all the time in my RTSs phase which was also thankfully brief and before the alt right started to become less of a niche thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Krystal wank is old news. These days it's all about thirsty Link and Sidon-senpai. Sorry Zelda, you're yestercentury's news.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mischalaniouse posted:

God, if this is the new discourse, count me the gently caress out. Nick is a good guy, and joking tweet about masturbating to a video game character is the VERY VERY LEAST of our problems right now. FemFreq could stand to gain some perspective.

Like if you're into Feminism Discourse there's some room for it (particularly the tacit assumption of only males involved) but that's Feminism Discourse and that certainly doesn't loving belong on twitter. I will never understand why people try to have serious discussions on a platform that is designed for ephemeral dumb jokes.

I will also never understand why anyone bothers to pay attention to the FemFreq twitter aside from wanting to be outraged by whatever new hot takes Anita's boyfriend posts. It's just as dull as the videos but less educational. WHY is this the avatar of video games feminism??

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
With the rise of fascism worldwide, I really hope FemFreq stops being a loving embarrassment, because we really can't afford it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Keep in mind that Mcintosh got pissed off at Tracer being a lesbian because it was a safe choice and not one that'd piss off straight white men or make them uncomfortable (because that's the only reason and metric to have inclusion in games, by the way). Don't bother looking at FemFreq's or his twitter unless you like bad hot takes. I'd love to see more feminist discourse over gaming and things surrounding it and I kind of wish other venues got as much attention as FemFreq does because I'd like to know what they are. I think FemFreq kind of ran its course and opened doors for more in-depth videos on it.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Watched the Mega-Ultra Lindsay Plus Everyone Stream. Good stuff, want more.

Also... hbomberguy mentions a super secret SA forum easter egg, and you won't believe what happens next (click here to watch monetized stream)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mischalaniouse posted:

I don't know anything about Nick Robinson, but there are writers at Polygon that have said way worse and still work there.

Jimbot posted:

Krystal wank is old news. These days it's all about thirsty Link and Sidon-senpai. Sorry Zelda, you're yestercentury's news.

Because I can only communicate using Twitter posts I've found:

This probably highlights my total lack of understanding, but that last one perplexes me. It seems comparable to when people complained that Polygon only gave Bayo2 a 7.5 or whatever. It's like, if you argue that reviews are subjective, and that Polygon was fine to give Bayo2 that score, then isn't it hypocritical to slam critics for giving BOTW positive reviews.

Puppy Time posted:

I will also never understand why anyone bothers to pay attention to the FemFreq twitter aside from wanting to be outraged by whatever new hot takes Anita's boyfriend posts. It's just as dull as the videos but less educational. WHY is this the avatar of video games feminism??

I'm pretty sure Jonathan McIntosh is no longer part of Feminist Frequency.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Max Wilco posted:

then isn't it hypocritical to slam critics for giving BOTW positive reviews.

Not taking sides here, but "positive" is a whole lot more vague than 10/10 perfect scores, which is what was being referenced in the tweet.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I haven't beaten the game, so I can't really comment on the story of Zelda. It's pretty threadbare and in the collectibles Zelda seems kind of annoyed to be in a Legend of Zelda story but I can see where they are coming from. I'm not as huge into the game as 95% of people who've played it. A lot of mechanic shortcomings get in the way of a pretty fantastic game. Jim Sterling's review is pretty much how I feel about it. Plus I came off of Horizon before it and really dug that game's flow and combat much more.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Those tweet-chains are literally just someone trolling on Twitter.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

TheMaestroso posted:

Not taking sides here, but "positive" is a whole lot more vague than 10/10 perfect scores, which is what was being referenced in the tweet.

That's true. I guess my only argument is that the definition of a 'perfect game' is going to vary from person-to-person,

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Ignoring FemFreq stretching across a football field to make a point, here's Contrapoints with a video about BDSM. I can't say I love it because it's kind of inconclusive but it brings up a lot of good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T58pd_D_xYo

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jimbot posted:

Keep in mind that Mcintosh got pissed off at Tracer being a lesbian because it was a safe choice and not one that'd piss off straight white men or make them uncomfortable (because that's the only reason and metric to have inclusion in games, by the way). Don't bother looking at FemFreq's or his twitter unless you like bad hot takes. I'd love to see more feminist discourse over gaming and things surrounding it and I kind of wish other venues got as much attention as FemFreq does because I'd like to know what they are. I think FemFreq kind of ran its course and opened doors for more in-depth videos on it.
Basically he's Ted Rall

Nick is also great because of Touch the Skyrim and Car Boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnWtVVJgnRU

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 29, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Car Boys is my new addiction.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50LgwCJf4Ek

It's nice to see Jack and Rich actually thoroughly enjoy a game again for once.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Neeksy posted:

I have trouble liking Linkara because I knew him before he started doing videos; dude was really into Ann Coulter and went to a women's comics forum to pitch his idea about why a villain's motivation/backstory of being raped on stage was actually really compelling and not needlessly creepy. Dude might have changed since then but that's forever my mental association.

I haven't watched him in a while but as I recall he really, really, really disliked rape being used as a plot device in stories. So yeah, maturing and stuff!

Mischalaniouse posted:

pretty sure the FemFreq twitter is still run by McIntosh who is needlessly hostile and tends to jump to conclusions that betray a lack of knowledge about what he's talking about. And his argument themselves can actually be kinda sexist if you think about them for two seconds

He said that Witcher 3 was sexist because the bad guys that you murder when playing as Ciri call her a oval office in battle. First of all, they're the bad guys and you murder them. Second of all, the game takes place in a fantasy world styled after dark ages Europe, and is depicted as a cynical, hostile, and oppressive world where, among other things sexism is common. Third of all, they're poor European robbers so they say oval office like it's going out of style and the enemies still call you a oval office when you're playing as Geralt!

Also: violent games are always sexist because violence is inherently masculine :psyduck:

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 29, 2017

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Max Wilco posted:

Because I can only communicate using Twitter posts I've found:

Zelda is hands-down the strongest character in Breath of the Wild. The game begins with her single-handedly keeping the world from falling apart, and Link is there to help her finish the job. I mean, hell, the only reason Link is even around her is because she's a princess, he's a knight, and the king is ordering him to go protect his daughter, who has gone off on her own to pursue her own personal studies on ancient tech, while also taking on the responsibility of literally being the savior of humanity. She is the textbook definition of a strong female protagonist.

This is information whoever runs that Twitter would know, if they, you know, played the game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why is the femfreq twitter mad about jacking off to krystal because she's a female character who got trapped in a crystal terrible and not because she's a um loving fox.

I'm being trolled, right? what the gently caress

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean Zelda gets 95% of the total character development in that game. BOTW's Zelda is probably the most three-dimensional character in the franchise, really.

You could argue that the game is still more or less about saving her, or that a woman is still not allowed to be the perspective character, or that there's a cliche shy anime fish girl who is the healer and wants to bone Link but won't say it out loud. But it's hard not to see how the princess's role is different from past games. The appeal towards scores is...a bit weird? Like, most people don't even see the plot of these games as a necessary part of the experience and just want an excuse to run around a kingdom.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

why is the femfreq twitter mad about jacking off to krystal because she's a female character who got trapped in a crystal terrible and not because she's a um loving fox.

I'm being trolled, right? what the gently caress

Your right she certainly is quite a... Vixen :cheeky:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Augus posted:

You could argue that the game is still more or less about saving her, or that a woman is still not allowed to be the perspective character, or that there's a cliche shy anime fish girl who is the healer and wants to bone Link but won't say it out loud.
She technically saved you first, and who doesn't want to bone Link? Mipha needs to get in line.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The issue might be that if in order to understand the satire, it requires the context of knowing what is in the person's heart/actual beliefs and thus Twitter is a lovely platform for such satire. Poe's Law is a bitch!

Glad to hear that Linkara matured, though!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the more important thing about this discussion is

people fuckin played Star Fox Adventures? gently caress me

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alaois posted:

People played it, and people were burned.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Alaois posted:

I was desperate for my Zelda-likes. I think I liked it?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Tracula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50LgwCJf4Ek

It's nice to see Jack and Rich actually thoroughly enjoy a game again for once.

Wow, they still have that giant stack of Nukie tapes. I thought they would've thrown those in a dumpster long ago.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Alaois posted:

i mean, it's not a terrible game. it's thoroughly mediocre. there were some cool parts, there was a fairly substantial amount of it that felt unfinished and/or rushed, and really its biggest single flaw is how not starfox it was.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A good poster posted:

Wow, they still have that giant stack of Nukie tapes. I thought they would've thrown those in a dumpster long ago.

I'd thought they were building up to a Best of the World joke with them, but it's been like two years now.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

financially racist posted:

i mean, it's not a terrible game. it's thoroughly mediocre. there were some cool parts, there was a fairly substantial amount of it that felt unfinished and/or rushed, and really its biggest single flaw is how not starfox it was.

Really the issue is that Jak and Daxter exists. It really solidified the idea at the time that the PS2 was the future and the GameCube was a plastic lunchbox for babies. They're very similar games and feature a lot of the same general gameplay concepts (in an elevator pitch sense) but SFA is a boring sludgey mess of a game and J&D still plays good to this day. Basically the entire story of the GameCube is Nintendo desperately trying to claw toward relevance only for some amazingly good PS2 or Xbox game to come out and shove their head back into the toilet. A lot of it was Nintendo's fault as well, in 2004 their contribution to the greatest even month of video games (November 2004) was Metroid Prime 2 (a good game) and their two big holiday season tentpole games were MP2 and Mario Party 6 (and too be fair, the DS, but still). They took their only big name adult/teen focused franchise and shot it into the meat grinder against two of the greatest FPS games that had ever been made at that point in time, and one of the most over hyped ones for good measure.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Hot take: all of the people slamming on FemFreq's hot take are way more annoying than the take itself.

Going on a rant because someone misunderstood a joke on twitter is pretty weird.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
it's such a weird joke to misconstrue though

like how can someone read a tweet about people jacking off to krystal the fox and think to themselves, this is something I need to jump on about how it's bad to masturbate to fictional characters.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah, and it's a good thing all of you are here to explain what most people are thinking.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have an excellent solution to the femfreq twitter being bad: Don't read it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
sorry for talking about internet critics in this thread. :(

watho
Aug 2, 2013

:jerkbag:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

A good summary of your posts.

PS: They're bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

sorry for talking about internet critics in this thread. :(