Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

If you had a Net Yaroze you had access to a private online forum where hobbyist developers could swap works-in-progress and help out on each other projects. Projects were hosted there and the forum was moderated by Sony employees; these were the people who picked which games to highlight on the UK discs (primarily, it looks like other regions got them sporadically as well) until the project was kinda ended and they released a large amount of releases on a UK demo disc/collection.

There's some info here about them:

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2011/02/net-yaroze-on-ps1-we-need-you.html

Sadly no one seemed to have taken up the Yaroze mantle :( And some games may just be lost unless the original creator has the files kicking around somewhere.

I don't really know how game development works but that's cool that you could basically buy a PS1 devkit (and that people could actually play your games through the magazine discs)

There was a game my friend had called Devil Dice which I just read was apparently a Net Yaroze game that got picked up to be made into a full game or something. the whole thing is pretty neat. I guess the modern equivalent would maybe be steam greenlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol that was NightCry, right? Awful.

SuperGreatFriend did a Let's Play of it on YouTube. He opens the second episode by saying, "Welcome back... to this dumpster fire."

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Is Dying Light any good? It looks like Dead Island, which was fun for an hour and then became boring and monotonous.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

Oh man, that's the traversal I know and love from the first game. Pointlessly falling because he won't grab the drat handholds for no reason sometimes...

styx 2 is pretty much More Styx which is ok with me but maybe not with everyone

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

Is Dying Light any good? It looks like Dead Island, which was fun for an hour and then became boring and monotonous.

I really like it. The story is godawful and there's more and more of it the further you get into the game, and the last boss is a loving QTE so that they could have a "cinematic" boss fight, but parkouring around and hitting zombies with sticks never gets old.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Styx easily puns into Stynx so they really have to be careful with making a good sequel.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Franchescanado posted:

Dying Light is great. It has a great movement system that allows a incredible range of motion for Zombie Killing that gives you a spider man grabbing hook after about a hour or so. The melee combat is fun and the sneaking around during the night/closed environments is tense and fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Franchescanado posted:

Dead Island did not have parkour, grappling hooks, the ability to dropkick zombies, and a buggy with an AOE electrical burst attack, so

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mordja posted:

If only...

Dude, can you imagine a sci-fi Myth?

If sci-fi dwarves could blow up my entire army by mistake, I'd be all aboard.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't really know how game development works but that's cool that you could basically buy a PS1 devkit (and that people could actually play your games through the magazine discs)

There was a game my friend had called Devil Dice which I just read was apparently a Net Yaroze game that got picked up to be made into a full game or something. the whole thing is pretty neat. I guess the modern equivalent would maybe be steam greenlight

There was another game called Timeslip that started on Yaroze and eventually got turned into an XBLIG which is cool. Some of them eventually got put out on mobile devices a decade later as well

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Franchescanado posted:

Dying Light is what Dead Island was supposed to be. It has a really fun mix of melee combat, decapitation, extreme day/night cycle and parkour. At first you'll be running from the zombies so they made running cool and then somewhere in the middle you'll start one-hit decapitating things so they made that cool too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Dying Light is what Dead Island was supposed to be. It has a really fun mix of melee combat, decapitation, extreme day/night cycle and parkour. At first you'll be running from the zombies so they made running cool and then somewhere in the middle you'll start one-hit decapitating things so they made that cool too.

Cool, thanks guys. I've been spending the last week or two filling out my pretty sparse PS4 library. I'll add Dying Light to the list.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm glad that nightcry exists because it really does seem like just more of ps1 clock tower

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

even if you dont like Doublefine these are always a treat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juJikoClDxw

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah Dying Light was one of the most surprisingly good games in recent memory, I can think of very few bad things to say about it

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/smbmovie/status/846785859592478720

indeed

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Quest For Glory II posted:

even if you dont like Doublefine these are always a treat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juJikoClDxw

I mean this is how we got Costume Quest, Stacking, and Mobile Trench Brigade, so as much as Tim Schafer has squandered a lot of his goodwill if this leads to some more cool, fun games then hell, I'm down.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

🐍🐍the snake game🐍🐍
🐍
 🐍🐍is very good, everyone🐍🐍
                                                          🐍
🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Arby's social media has been pretty good lately

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Memes

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

raditts posted:

It's weird how you have to pay 30 Humanity just for that order of curly fries though. They make you go in through the back door of the restaurant to pick up the order too, very strange.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

an actual dog posted:

🐍🐍the snake game🐍🐍
🐍
 🐍🐍is very good, everyone🐍🐍
                                                          🐍
🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

That's good to hear!

Unfortunately my April time/money budget is all Persona 5

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am the Queen of Fart.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Toilet

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
DONT LOOK AT ME LIKE A OWL

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

raditts posted:

I love #Brands

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honry Man is my least favorite Robot Master.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They don't have much love for potatoes, huh

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Don't treat me like potato

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Now I am reminded of Sleeping Dogs 2 and what could have been :sigh:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nice to see my alma mater on there.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I'm You are my love my angle Don't treat me like potato

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LAsE6SS8LQ

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Outta da way, this is the gently caress Off Lane! :argh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

a kitten posted:

Nice to see my alma mater on there.

Did you graduate from UNIVERSITY OF BULL poo poo or did you go to trade school to be an rear end JUICE-MAKER

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

HONRY MAN

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Y'all got me wanting to give Dying Light another shot, I remember playing it for a couple hours then... I don't remember but knowing me, probably getting distracted by something else

Right in the middle of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE but that's wearing sliiightly thin as of the ch2 dungeon, so

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

raditts posted:

Did you graduate from UNIVERSITY OF BULL poo poo or did you go to trade school to be an rear end JUICE-MAKER

It just doesn't pay to be an rear end JUICE-MAKER ever since the bottom fell out. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Skyrim has an unnecessary amount of voice acting

• Locked thread