Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

How about you grow some hair on your chest and get back to us when you've gotten a courtesy disconnect after being on hold with the IRS for two hours.

Sounds like a nightmare. Most of my calls to the IRS so far haven't been that bad. Expect that trend to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I think my record 9am to 5pm with onesource. Once I got on I stayed on for 4 hours because gently caress if someone hands up I was gonna go postal.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
When did this thread turn into E/N?

Busy season over. Time to get fuuuuuuucckkked

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Good Citizen posted:

Everything/Nothing, more like A/L. Some of us are As and others are Ls.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Good Citizen posted:

gently caress off, 4 days straight of here at 730 am leaving at 1230 am. got another 3 weeks of this poo poo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I don't want to sound like I'm bragging but I don't think I could cope with those sorts of work hours so I'm really glad I don't work in Audit despite me being pissed off with my mediocre managers demanding A grade performance despite them working at a steady C.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

gently caress off, 4 days straight of here at 730 am leaving at 1230 am. got another 3 weeks of this poo poo.

How long is your commute? That sucks :(

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

This is my first year since starting that I haven't had several non-standard year ends dragging on for months after most people are back to normal schedules and it feels great. Sucks about your schedule

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Kitchner posted:

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging but I don't think I could cope with those sorts of work hours so I'm really glad I don't work in Audit despite me being pissed off with my mediocre managers demanding A grade performance despite them working at a steady C.

Your A grade work is what enables them to work at C and still get promoted like an A or B. Your job is to make them look good, and nothing else. :)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Your A grade work is what enables them to work at C and still get promoted like an A or B. Your job is to make them look good, and nothing else. :)

Ain't that a bitch, but you're right.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I think I get annoyed because the first time I worked in Internal Audit my boss and my director were ex-big 4 and they were both really intelligent and great at their jobs as well as being nice people.

Since then I worked in a different company in industry where the manager was a full on oval office and a moron, and the VP was a nice guy but didn't know poo poo about internal audit.

So I moved to a large accounting practice thinking I'm going to be working with some really bright people but the managers have all been at the same firm for like 10 years or whatever. My line manager was made Senior Manager last year, he's worked at the firm for 15 years.

I do think if they had more time they would be planning work properly and checking work properly and poo poo but honestly there's only one member of the management team who I think is great at his job (he's also a senior manager), everyone else is just varying shades of mediocrity bolstered by long service and experience.

Someone did tell me once that public practice don't end up with great managers because all the really talented people do some time and then leave for industry, don't think I believed it until recently.

I think there's also a bigger trend for keeping internal audit in house (which is what I would do) and some companies have huge internal audit functions. Barclays has 600 people in their internal audit team world wide, and a company I interviewed with the other week has 120 world wide, which is more than my firm has in the UK, or about equal.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Haha yep! I've been on a 9:30 to 2 schedule for a while now. Sometimes I finish early and get to go home before midnight. If I can just get two deals closed and an opinion written in the next few weeks I may make it, otherwise I have a provision coming in and then compliance for my extended clients to ruin the summer. At least we get paid on Friday.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Kitchner posted:

I think I get annoyed because the first time I worked in Internal Audit my boss and my director were ex-big 4 and they were both really intelligent and great at their jobs as well as being nice people.

Since then I worked in a different company in industry where the manager was a full on oval office and a moron, and the VP was a nice guy but didn't know poo poo about internal audit.

So I moved to a large accounting practice thinking I'm going to be working with some really bright people but the managers have all been at the same firm for like 10 years or whatever. My line manager was made Senior Manager last year, he's worked at the firm for 15 years.

I do think if they had more time they would be planning work properly and checking work properly and poo poo but honestly there's only one member of the management team who I think is great at his job (he's also a senior manager), everyone else is just varying shades of mediocrity bolstered by long service and experience.

Someone did tell me once that public practice don't end up with great managers because all the really talented people do some time and then leave for industry, don't think I believed it until recently.

I think there's also a bigger trend for keeping internal audit in house (which is what I would do) and some companies have huge internal audit functions. Barclays has 600 people in their internal audit team world wide, and a company I interviewed with the other week has 120 world wide, which is more than my firm has in the UK, or about equal.

I work in cord dev/strategy and my boss doesn't up on random days, skips meeting with executives, and doesn't answer his phone on the days when he is inexplicably absent. He's everyone's golden boy who everyone loves (including the aforementioned execs), and he gets huge bonuses on top of his big salary. Meanwhile I get to put out all of the fires created by his quirky personality and I make less than half what he does. :)

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Diplomat posted:

People drink some otherworldly amounts of alcohol at work parties.

At the April 15th party last year, a guy got the entire firm 86'd from the bar because he mouthed off to the bartender that had just cut him off.

he's a partner

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I had a partner get the firm banned from the bar and now we're going back for April 18 😎

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I work in cord dev/strategy and my boss doesn't up on random days, skips meeting with executives, and doesn't answer his phone on the days when he is inexplicably absent. He's everyone's golden boy who everyone loves (including the aforementioned execs), and he gets huge bonuses on top of his big salary. Meanwhile I get to put out all of the fires created by his quirky personality and I make less than half what he does. :)

My first boss in industry was a bit like that. He used to rock up every morning at like 11am with a McDonald's breakfast. He was a super intelligent guy and deep down I knew he was actually a decent guy, but God he could not stop himself from acting like an insufferable arsehole. Sometimes he was just uneccessarily harsh, other times he was just brutally honest when what was needed was diplomacy and tact.

That said, he also got fired like 6 months after I started working for him.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

How long is your commute? That sucks :(
10 minutes, but it still blows.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Good Citizen posted:

This is my first year since starting that I haven't had several non-standard year ends dragging on for months after most people are back to normal schedules and it feels great. Sucks about your schedule

Such is tax life. Assurance is for weaklings. It's mostly bad because our firms estate and trust partner retired so me and another guy have had to carry the brunt of his workload. Nothing like thinking you got poo poo down cold then getting to look at the work of a guy who probably wrote the IRC on the subject.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Anyone have any advice or resources for becoming or working as an Enrolled Agent? Trying to find out more about it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Just been told I have a second interview with a global telecoms firm on Friday, I would severely love to sit there smug as poo poo and hand in my notice to one of the partner right now.

3 month notice period though, meaning awkward conversations for 3 months and not getting invited to things.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

That notice period built into your contract? Or is there a monetary incentive provided to leave that kind of notice?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Diplomat posted:

That notice period built into your contract? Or is there a monetary incentive provided to leave that kind of notice?

Built into my contract. Fairly standard here in the UK, more senior jobs can have a notice period of up to 6 months. The theory is that it gives them enough time to find a replacement and have you do a handover but it's also so they can restrict your access to sensitive information and phase you out.

I get 25 days of annual leave a year so half a year means I will have accrued 12.5 days and I've used 2. So I have 10.5 days left which they could technically force me to take off (meaning I do sweet gently caress all for the last two weeks of my 3 months), but I'm going to make sure I've still got bits of work to do if I leave which means I get paid for the outstanding annual leave.

That said if I do leave now I will owe them a couple of thousand pounds in qualification and study fees, so I need to see if my new employer will help with that.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

gently caress Minnesota DOR with a tire iron, as a WA state preparer they have some backwards and unworkable laws.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Kitchner posted:

Just been told I have a second interview with a global telecoms firm on Friday, I would severely love to sit there smug as poo poo and hand in my notice to one of the partner right now.

3 month notice period though, meaning awkward conversations for 3 months and not getting invited to things.

Could be worse. Over here it is 3 months prior to end of quarter, so up to 6 months depending on stuff. :suicide:

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Is there anyone here in Forensic Accounting/Loss adjusting? Anywhere would be interesting, but someone with knowledge of the London market would be good.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Just found out I passed my Core 1 exam! Pretty happy about that.

Anyone know how long it usually takes for detailed results to come in (CPA Ontario)?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i am about to finish another semester of accounting. i had intermediate 2 and auditing this semester. i had tax last semester.

what i have learned is that i have no idea what i am doing but somehow am managing a 3.0+ department gpa.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Edit: just going to talk this rear end in a top hat client into a payroll service.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 26, 2017

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

TBeats posted:

i am about to finish another semester of accounting. i had intermediate 2 and auditing this semester. i had tax last semester.

what i have learned is that i have no idea what i am doing but somehow am managing a 3.0+ department gpa.

I'm finishing up my Masters in accounting with a 3.7 or so and I often feel like I don't know what I'm doing, but I keep producing correct math so idk man... just roll with it.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

black.lion posted:

I'm finishing up my Masters in accounting with a 3.7 or so and I often feel like I don't know what I'm doing, but I keep producing correct math so idk man... just roll with it.

TBeats posted:

Look at these too humble bragging poo poo heads. Pay attention in your accounting systems classes and weep as everyone you work for does what the gently caress they want and hurtle tornadoes of documents at you.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Just lol forever if you think GPA matters more than SALY when you get a job.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think companies used to ask about GPA back before the 70s maybe? Along with making sure you attend the correct church and come from a good family.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I don't expect any employers to care about my GPA, I was just saying, that person isn't the only one who feels sorta clueless even though they're apparently doing well. I need a job :(

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Employers absolutely care about your GPA, at least when it comes to landing an internship or first year position. My firm has hard cut offs for interviews (differs by position). Once you start, of course, no one gives a gently caress. There's a working assumption that you don't know anything at all as an intern/first year.

Poster finishing the MAC, any luck with internships or just going in cold once you graduate? The firms I've worked for do take master's grads straight out of school, but obviously harder to get your foot in the door than if you've already done an internship. This is tax, no idea if audit is different.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

GPA in the low 3s is a minimum barrier of entry, not a selling point. More important is experience and not be a huge weirdo in your interview

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 27, 2017

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Oh they definitely care about GPA for hiring but what you learn in school isn't super useful once you have the job. They'll tell you what you need to know.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Oh they definitely care about GPA for hiring but what you learn in school isn't super useful once you have the job. They'll tell you what you need to know.

To be fair this pretty much applies to every job ever and every degree ever unless you're going to be a teacher in which case you're just part of the cycle of being taught important but not entirely practical things.

I got a 2:2 in uni which I think is like a 2.8 GPA (we don't use it) but most grad schemes ask for a 2:1 minimum so I was ruled out of that pretty much straight away. I've managed to claw, punch, and kick my way over the years to an internal audit role where others have 2:1 and 1st degrees, but boy would it have been easier (and more boring?) if I had just studied at university and landed a grad scheme.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 27, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kitchner posted:

To be fair this pretty much applies to every job ever and every degree ever unless you're going to be a teacher in which case you're just part of the cycle of being taught important but not entirely practical things.

I got a 2:2 in uni which I think is like a 2.8 GPA (we don't use it) but most grad schemes ask for a 2:1 minimum so I was ruled out of that pretty much straight away. I've managed to claw, punch, and kick my way over the years to an internal audit role where others have 2:1 and 1st degrees, but boy would it have been easier (and more boring?) if I had just studied at university and landed a grad scheme.

2:2 is worse than 2:1...?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Covok posted:

2:2 is worse than 2:1...?

Yeah, the order is (from best to worst):

1st
2:1
2:2
3rd

The really old universities like Oxford only do 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degrees, the only reason everyone else does 2:1 and 2:2 is so many students got 2nd degrees the whole thing was pointless.

Oxford doesn't care because a 2nd from Oxford still carries a lot of weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

PatMarshall posted:

Poster finishing the MAC, any luck with internships or just going in cold once you graduate? The firms I've worked for do take master's grads straight out of school, but obviously harder to get your foot in the door than if you've already done an internship. This is tax, no idea if audit is different.

I'm not considering an internship because I need money. I've gotten this far without any debt and I don't intend to take any on if I can absolutely help it.

Option A is to try to get a job at a CPA firm where I live now, a smallish but popular mountain town with probably 5-6 main firms; I have no idea what their need for or attitude toward new blood is, but one of the firms has a section on their website encouraging new graduates and CPA candidates to apply, citing reimbursement of CPA exam study materials, strong work-life balance, mentions how close the office is to breweries downtown, etc. Good sounding things. So basically I can tie my resume to six pigeons and send them away to the six Great Houses of Accounting we have around here, and hope for the best. That'll get me into the "network" around here making connections etc. for the future, and businesses around here are steadily growing (along with property value) so there should be a increasing need for accounting peeps for years to come.

Option B is a standing job offer I have back in my hometown (~3 hours away from here) working under a CPA who has sort of been a guiding force/hands-off mentor to me. Perks are that I won't have to apply or interview, my boss will be invested in my growth and success, I can wear what I want and won't have to worry about covering my tattoos (yes I know I'm in the wrong industry if I want to dress like a teenager, but here we are). Downside is the practice is basically just her, so the networking opportunities wouldn't be quite as great, but I'd get to work closely on tax prep and strategy for all different kinds of small businesses; I wouldn't be left out of any client, so I'd get a greater depth of experience than being in a 100 person firm and being sent whatever they think I can handle.

These are both for tax, I like tax

So yeah I'm thinking my best path is to go with Option A and see if I can get an interview/position at one of the firms here, if for no other reason than networking for future opportunities, but would love to hear all y'all's thoughts!

e: My mom is a graphic designer at E&Y but I'm not sure she really knows anyone in a position to get me a job outside of graphic design so I haven't really thought of that option. Plus I'd have to move to Seattle or somesuch.

black.lion fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 27, 2017