Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011

SylvainMustach posted:

Nonary Games is really great. No issues on the vita.

Question though: How's Innocent Life?

I see that it has some good-to-mediocre reviews, but I really love the idea of a futuristic harvest moon. I may just get it because it's five bucks, but I wanted to know if it's alright (or if the PSP version is severely lacking or has performance issues, ect)

Innocent Life was fun. I played it on PSP and can't tell you about Vita performance, but I'd assume that it's just like every other PSP game on Vita and runs fine except for no UMD lag time. (So, better.)

Since you're a robot you don't really get the relationships with townsfolk that are a thing in most other Harvest Moon games, but you get to grow your own soul in your garden, so there's that. (I mean, figuratively and over time, it's not like just one crop that you can grow repeatedly and sell.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!
how is akiba trip

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Good game with bad combat and long load times on Vita. Recommended for anime.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Takoluka posted:

PS Vita Discussion: Recommended for anime.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Takoluka posted:

It's on Steam, too, so you should get it!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

Takoluka posted:

how can it be good if the combat is bad isn't it a beat em up

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

John Romero posted:

It is, but it's carried by its setting and character interactions.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

John Romero posted:

The writing is really good, thanks to XSeed.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

John Romero posted:

People will say the writing is good. They are lying. Akiba's Trip is a bad game that has the occasional good joke.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Failboattootoot posted:

People will say the writing is good. They are lying. Akiba's Trip is a bad game that has the occasional good joke.

:goonsay:

Speaking of that series,

Akiba's Beat launches may 16 th in the western world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4Zfszv36Y

PS+ Vita games for April:

10 Second Ninja X (Curve Digital)
Curses ‘n Chaos (Tribute Games)

Information on Digimon Story C.S.H.M.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I finally got around to playing P4G, and I'm approaching what I think is the end game (it's Dec 7th). I'm playing on normal difficulty and am at level 77. What level should I grind to to have a shot at the final boss? This is a very good game, but I'm getting sick of reducing bosses to 10% health and then having them wipe out my whole party with one shot.

Also, when will I be able to fuse quad personas and higher? So far, I've only been able to fuse triples.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Isn't that the game where you punch the clothes of anime girls

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Isn't that the game where you punch the clothes of anime girls

and boys. The localization team even added extra CGs for the guys

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

hepcat posted:

I finally got around to playing P4G, and I'm approaching what I think is the end game (it's Dec 7th). I'm playing on normal difficulty and am at level 77. What level should I grind to to have a shot at the final boss? This is a very good game, but I'm getting sick of reducing bosses to 10% health and then having them wipe out my whole party with one shot.

Also, when will I be able to fuse quad personas and higher? So far, I've only been able to fuse triples.
I seem to remember my preference being the 70s in November for having an easy time with P4G's endgame so the upper 80s will probably accomplish that for you where you are now. Hitting 99 is pretty trivial with Golden Hands, anyway.

You also have a bonus dungeon if you max out Marie before the end of December and a "true" final dungeon in March if you go back to Junes despite the game making it sound like you're all done.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

hepcat posted:

You have like 10+ hours left. You've got 3 more dungeons although 2 are optional/ extreme air-quotes "secret". It ends in April.

4, 5, and 6 persona fusions has been available to you since like June or something.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Motto posted:

and boys. The localization team even added extra CGs for the guys

Doesn't help my opinion of it and the people who play it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doesn't help my opinion of it and the people who play it
i respect them more than people who play mass effect andromeda

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Same but Persona 4

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What's up with ME:A? I mean, apart from the poo poo animations?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

All the bad stuff DA: I had, shallow open world, bad animations, VA is apparently mediocre. Story is basically a rehash.

That's mostly what I got from it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Truga posted:

It's basically just a real low-effort product. The core gameplay is reasonably fun but the setting/plot/characters/mission design/dialogue/etc all is basically phoned in.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's too bad, I was hoping for a fun time exploring alien worlds and killing them, since they completely removed that part from ME2.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

It's basically just a real low-effort product. The core gameplay is reasonably fun but the setting/plot/characters/mission design/dialogue/etc all is basically phoned in.

It was made by Bioware Montreal, which is apparently a studio of mostly new hires with little industry experience getting them to make the next AAA Mass Effect trilogy was setting them up to fail.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

That's too bad, I was hoping for a fun time exploring alien worlds and killing them, since they completely removed that part from ME2.

I would recommend No Man's Sky for that. It's a very good ga-hahahhahahaa

It was made by Bioware Montreal, which is apparently a studio of mostly new hires with little industry experience getting them to make the next AAA Mass Effect trilogy was setting them up to fail.

Yeah I don't know why they put one of their bigger franchises in the hands of a new studio branch.

Some stuff was done in Edmonton, if I recall, but obviously not enough :v Apparently Hudson and Karpyshin were not involved either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mostly just hate ME:A 'cause it's done more damage to lgbt charcaters in video games than your average hate crime

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

That is disingenuous and kind of surprising coming from you. There was a ton of effort put into that game and most of those things. It just didn't come together in a good way.

Endorph posted:

i mostly just hate ME:A 'cause it's done more damage to lgbt charcaters in video games than your average hate crime

Ah, here the Endorph "I saw 2 screenshots and am filled with righteous west-hating anger" take.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

That is disingenuous and kind of surprising coming from you. There was a ton of effort put into that game and most of those things. It just didn't come together in a good way.

I don't think there was, no. I find a lot of the writing genuinely low-effort. It's not merely that it is generic (which I don't think is a bad thing) but that there's very little effort or interest put into conveying a style or tone. In the opening for example your characters crash-land on an alien planet covered with deadly thunderstorms while being systemically murdered by new aliens and they basically are cheerfully quipping the entire time. It's a Bioware game and I expect some level of irreverent snark but the game doesn't even really try to convey the tone of isolation and danger. It's a problem throughout the game where it only has a scant few tones and does a poor job mixing them together in a way that feels genuinely phoned in to me, not merely badly written.

Likewise the setting disappointed me because it runs into the problem of being too safe for a game about exploring a new galaxy. It felt too familiar and too safe and contained very little sense of wonder or newness. Ironically this hurt it compared to the originals because in the originals the setting was old hat to the cast but new to the player. Here it's a bit too familiar and too safe and doesn't take advantage of the concept.

I really do not feel like I'm exaggerating when I say that I think they coasted too much. It may be sheer inexperience making them too worried about breaking the mold rather than complacency but the end result was that the felt like they were trying to be too safe. The thing Endorph mentions I don't think is malicious or evil or ill-intentioned but it does feel low-effort. They wanted to do something positive but did so in a fairly hamfisted way and the end result ended up being something risible instead. That is a problem a lot of Andromeda has. It has good intentions but was either unwilling or unable to do the work to follow through on them.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Endorph posted:

Er... Do I wanna know the details?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bloodychill posted:

Ah, here the Endorph "I saw 2 screenshots and am filled with righteous west-hating anger" take.

There is a trans character that is very badly portayed and basically goes "Oh hello, nice to meet you. I'm <some name> but I used to be known as Stephan on Earth. [ I'm trans you see]...".

I am told by the few trans IRL characters I know that no one actually does that. See I needed help to be sure since I always introduce myself to new people by telling them my sexual orientation and most intimate secrets.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think there was, no. I find a lot of the writing genuinely low-effort. It's not merely that it is generic (which I don't think is a bad thing) but that there's very little effort or interest put into conveying a style or tone. In the opening for example your characters crash-land on an alien planet covered with deadly thunderstorms while being systemically murdered by new aliens and they basically are cheerfully quipping the entire time. It's a Bioware game and I expect some level of irreverent snark but the game doesn't even really try to convey the tone of isolation and danger. It's a problem throughout the game where it only has a scant few tones and does a poor job mixing them together in a way that feels genuinely phoned in to me, not merely badly written.

Likewise the setting disappointed me because it runs into the problem of being too safe for a game about exploring a new galaxy. It felt too familiar and too safe and contained very little sense of wonder or newness. Ironically this hurt it compared to the originals because in the originals the setting was old hat to the cast but new to the player. Here it's a bit too familiar and too safe and doesn't take advantage of the concept.

Most of these things are true but that doesn't translate to "setting/plot/characters/mission design/dialogue/etc all is basically phoned in." Not only that, some scenes actually do a great job of conveying the danger and wonder of exploring a new place, including the confrontation with an Architect, confrontations with leaders of the kett and escape through the dark energy fields or out of kett installations, and the general alien-ness of the angora. They could do a better job for sure, but the game has probably around 2000 pages of dialog and lore written for it. Ultimately the issue is they didn't do a good job organizing and presenting this material. The biggest evidence of that to me was that people didn't even understand the glove sequence, which actually was a pretty neat sci-fi sub-plotline, again fumbled because of presentation.

I'm not excusing their failure but I'm not going to say the entire enterprise was low-effort. The bigger issue is that they bit off more than they could chew and it shows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

bioware is always extremely bad about LGBT characters and andromeda is worse in every way (I looked up videos of all the romances and stuff, not just saw those two dumb trans screenshots) so the end result is incredibly awful

sorry i criticized a game!!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

There is a trans character that is very badly portayed and basically goes "Oh hello, nice to meet you. I'm <some name> but I used to be known as Stephan on Earth. [ I'm trans you see]...".

I am told by the few trans IRL characters I know that no one actually does that. See I needed help to be sure since I always introduce myself to new people by telling them my sexual orientation and most intimate secrets.

I am aware of that scene. It's stupid but it's not single-handedly undoing years of LGBT work towards equality and recognition. It's also one in a million side scenes that is easily missable. If Endorph treated western media with the same kid gloves they treat japanese media, I wouldn't have to read this vomit every time a big western game got popular.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pureauthor posted:

Er... Do I wanna know the details?

There is a poorly written trans character. Not out and out offensive, just bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

so am i only allowed to have an opinion on how my sexuality is presented when i agree with you, or

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

lol

so am i only allowed to have an opinion on how my sexuality is presented when i agree with you, or

Unless Bioware came to your house and murdered you it is not worse than hate crimes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unless Bioware came to your house and murdered you it is not worse than hate crimes
this thread is filled with exaggerated insults towards developers/franchises/countries/chrono trigger

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bloodychill posted:

I am aware of that scene. It's stupid but it's not single-handedly undoing years of LGBT work towards equality and recognition. It's also one in a million side scenes that is easily missable. If Endorph treated western media with the same kid gloves they treat japanese media, I wouldn't have to read this vomit every time a big western game got popular.

Oh, I was merely saying what I knew about the issue. Bad writing - assuming it being a single source of information for some people - is like bad news in the sense it exacerbates prejudice/stereotypes. That's the main reason I could see something very unflattering or downright insulting as being wrong.

As I see it right now, anyone with a modicum of information on the matter would see it as just bad and poorly researched writing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

this thread is filled with exaggerated insults towards developers/franchises/countries/chrono trigger

And?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the thing i said, is an example of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

lol

Where did I say you weren't allowed to have an opinion or post it? You can say whatever you want but I'm going to criticize when I disagree with you or think you're overstating things.