Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

got any sevens posted:

gently caress roiders, I'm a griffey fan.

🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I don't get your point. It's a better photo but it's not like his head grew 3 sizes.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Leperflesh posted:

You'd think there'd be a major league team named the Stallions

Already taken by a failed football team (though this was more on the league than the team).

Not that anyone should ever put a pro team in Birmingham...

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The CFL had the Baltimore Stallions for a couple years, after the NFL sued the poo poo out of them for trying to name themselves the Baltimore CFL Colts

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Aspirin is not a PED!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

warcrimes posted:

Exactly one traditional small market team has won an MLB championship since Minnesota 25 years ago.
St Louis, Kansas City, Miami (spends like a small market), and Arizona have all won the World Series this century.

Team success in MLB is less driven by payroll spending than any of the other major pro sports in America.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 29, 2017

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Why would you include St. Louis in with the small market teams?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

Why would you include St. Louis in with the small market teams?

entire list of traditional large market baseball teams: the yankees

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's the 20th largest metro area in the US so that's not a "big market"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

bawfuls posted:

St Louis, Kansas City, Miami (spends like a small market), and Arizona have all won the World Series this century.

Team success in MLB is less driven by payroll spending than any of the other major pro sports in America.

Lmao. Yes, the sport where the richest team has won 27 championships and appeared in 40 of them is the model of parity all sports should aspire to.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Lmao. Yes, the sport where the richest team has won 27 championships and appeared in 40 of them is the model of parity all sports should aspire to.
20 of those rings and 29 of the pennants came before the existence of the draft, when the Yankees literally bought all the best young players from around the country. As others have pointed out, the MLB has better parity than the NFL over the last 20 or so years but keep talking about things that happened 80 years ago under a different system like they matter.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Baseball is bad because the latest CBA actively encourages the most interesting/possibly best player in the world not bother to try to play in MLB.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Part of that is the fact that football is much more reliant on individual performance, especially at QB. No matter how good a baseball player is, they are only one of nine players batting, or they only pitch a small fraction of a team's innings. A quarterback handles the ball on almost every offensive play, so having a great one means you win a lot.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

bawfuls posted:

St Louis is market 20 and not a traditional small market in any sense of the word when it comes to baseball. Miami and AZ basically bought championships then immediately dismantled their teams. KC is the one exception I mentioned and is almost immediately being picked apart.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Every MLB team except the Mariners and Nationals has been in the World Series since 1979. Six NFL teams have not made the Super Bowl in that time. I don't know what this proves but I went through the trouble of looking it up so now you have to hear about it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Grittybeard posted:

Baseball is bad because the latest CBA actively encourages the most interesting/possibly best player in the world not bother to try to play in MLB.

I long for Otani. :(

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19029448/oakland-alameda-coliseum-stadium-authority-want-oakland-raiders-2019

Well, if they don't want to play in UNLV's stadium, they might have to play somewhere other than Oakland in 2019.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Old aircraft carrier roving murderboat

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Oakland/Las Vegas/Oklahoma City Raiders

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

The real crime is that this happened a year too late for the stadium to be selected as host of Super Bowl LV.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I wonder how the actual Vegas stadium will compare to the kroenkedome

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

a neat cape posted:

I wonder how the actual Vegas stadium will compare to the kroenkedome

Vegas will be the only one with IV rooms.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Leperflesh posted:

hmm yes, the richest media markets should always have the best teams, that makes perfect sense

Agreed, unironically

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Ken griffey jr was clean

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

warcrimes posted:

St Louis is market 20 and not a traditional small market in any sense of the word when it comes to baseball. Miami and AZ basically bought championships then immediately dismantled their teams. KC is the one exception I mentioned and is almost immediately being picked apart.

The lack of a salary cap likely aided Miami and AZ in buying said championships. It allows small market teams to bide their time and go for it when all the pieces are in place, rather than having a strict ceiling and floor that force them to plod along in mediocrity forever, like roughly 80% of NBA franchises.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I forgot what this thread was about, why don't the Raiders just play in UNLV's stadium for a year or two before their stadium is done? I know Davis said he wants everything to be perfect when they move in, but having a soft launch in a small stadium in their new city has got to be better than playing in front of small and likely hostile crowds in Oakland for three years. Especially since the team looks to be competitive in the short term future, why not use that as an opportunity to build some excitement and good will in Las Vegas?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

General Dog posted:

I forgot what this thread was about, why don't the Raiders just play in UNLV's stadium for a year or two before their stadium is done? I know Davis said he wants everything to be perfect when they move in, but having a soft launch in a small stadium in their new city has got to be better than playing in front of small and likely hostile crowds in Oakland for three years. Especially since the team looks to be competitive in the short term future, why not use that as an opportunity to build some excitement and good will in Las Vegas?

Sam Boyd probably isn't up to nfl regulations.

Stub hub probably isn't either though, so who knows

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

General Dog posted:

Sam Boyd Stadium is nowhere near the minimum NFL standards for hosting a pro game. Estimates put it at a year of work to get it ready. Also, I'm pretty sure the crowds in Oakland will remain large, there's a 20k season ticket backlog and not everyone has been overly pissed. We've been through this before.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

By "we've been through this before" are you meaning that you are ignoring all the evidence that was presented to the contrary?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

King Hong Kong posted:

By "we've been through this before" are you meaning that you are ignoring all the evidence that was presented to the contrary?

I think he's referring to the Raiders having lame duck seasons in Oakland before Al moving them to Los Angeles.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, I figured if something as small as Stub Hub got the okay I'd think they could get the NFL's blessing on Sam Boyd, though I'm sure Stub Hub is nicer and newer. But if they think they'll still draw crowds in Oakland I guess it makes sense to stay.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I've never been to StubHub but Sam Boyd is trash

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

a neat cape posted:

I think he's referring to the Raiders having lame duck seasons in Oakland before Al moving them to Los Angeles.

That's true but that was also a very different time for the NFL. The Raiders, although they will probably be putting a high quality product on the field during the next few years, have not had the kind of draw in the East Bay that the NFL and Mark Davis wanted. There is no reason to assume that people would support the team more than they have in the past decade especially when the team is moving.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

King Hong Kong posted:

That's true but that was also a very different time for the NFL. The Raiders, although they will probably be putting a high quality product on the field during the next few years, have not had the kind of draw in the East Bay that the NFL and Mark Davis wanted. There is no reason to assume that people would support the team more than they have in the past decade especially when the team is moving.

Again, season ticket requests are backed up 20k. All those people plus whoever currently has tickets aren't going to disappear when the product on the field is entering a really good phase. There's a chance the Raiders make it to/win a SB before they move, people aren't going to pass that up.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

warcrimes posted:

Again, season ticket requests are backed up 20k. All those people plus whoever currently has tickets aren't going to disappear when the product on the field is entering a really good phase. There's a chance the Raiders make it to/win a SB before they move, people aren't going to pass that up.

Maybe they shouldn't tarp off the upper deck if they have such a backlog

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

warcrimes posted:

Sam Boyd Stadium is nowhere near the minimum NFL standards for hosting a pro game. Estimates put it at a year of work to get it ready. Also, I'm pretty sure the crowds in Oakland will remain large, there's a 20k season ticket backlog and not everyone has been overly pissed. We've been through this before.

I want to know how this plays out. I didn't renew this year for this reason. Mark offered refunds to anyone who wanted them. Otoh, the Raiders are playing their best football in a while and I expect another playoff run.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Citing a waitlist that came into existence within the last year prior to the approval to move is pretty speculative considering that it costs nothing to be put on the waitlist.

This isn't to say people won't show up (the team is good after all) but it is foolish to take that as an assured fact.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

a neat cape posted:

Nah. The Lakers fans are the one team that stays loyal in Los Angeles, especially now with Magic involved.

Has that ever really been tested though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Has that ever really been tested though?

Lakers games continue to be sold out over the last four years while it's hard for the Clippers to sell out when they have a good team

• Locked thread