Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gret posted:

Max Chilton second fastest in the afternoon!

He was fastest until Power did his Power thing and pipped him on the last lap of the session, ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

They're well off last year's practice times though, so I don't know how much it means. What were the conditions like?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I heard "racing conditions".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Other Series is in Austrailia this week, so have the 2008 Surfer's Paradise race.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Been shopping around for some deals on Saturday Long Beach tickets and there's not much around (which is normally a good sign), but Goldstar does have a deal on 3-day GA tickets for $50 instead of $90 if anybody is lookin:

https://www.goldstar.com/shows/1283856/checkout/new

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

Been shopping around for some deals on Saturday Long Beach tickets and there's not much around (which is normally a good sign), but Goldstar does have a deal on 3-day GA tickets for $50 instead of $90 if anybody is lookin:

https://www.goldstar.com/shows/1283856/checkout/new

It's also got the lower-half reserved tickets for $75, which is the deal I've been waiting for. I got it last year. $25 more than the GA, but $15 less than GA face value which is a fair deal for a guaranteed seat to sit in. I'm gonna see if my folks want to come for the weekend with that price to wave in front of them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Random thought.

Isn't it incredible that Buddy Lazier is still out there running in the Indy 500?

Also his '95 Reynard Ford (formerly driven by Jimmy Vasser) in the purple Hemelgarn racing livery is one of the better looking cars to ever win that race.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Running"

I mean, he's a class act and all, but I'd feel a bit better if he was using that ride for giving someone else a shot. The fact that Helio, JPM, and TK are all still very competitive there at 41-42 is more interesting to me than Buddy qualifying a solid 33rd out of 33 entered cars at age 49.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Yeah running is a loosely defined term for Buddy nowadays. I wish he'd just use his money to fund someone young in the 500.

Also Conor Daly is gonna be on the next season of American Ninja Warrior

quote:

Following in the athletic footsteps of fellow drivers Helio Castroneves, Tony Kanaan and Josef Newgarden, Daly will venture to San Antonio this weekend to participate in a regional qualifier for the Emmy-nominated NBC obstacle course challenge show that will air its ninth season this summer.

Daly, 25, will make his bid to complete the challenge course sometime after dark Sunday night. The AJ Foyt Racing driver got a taste of the task ahead when the show held a regional competition last April in Indianapolis that included Castroneves, Kanaan and Newgarden as participants. Daly was permitted to try one of the obstacles, the Circuit Board, for an online segment of "American Ninja Warrior: Crashing the Course."

While Daly didn't fare well that day, he is excited to compete in San Antonio. The episode from the San Antonio regional is scheduled to air June 19, the Monday leading in to the KOHLER Grand Prix at Road America (June 25, NBCSN).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Running"

I mean, he's a class act and all, but I'd feel a bit better if he was using that ride for giving someone else a shot. The fact that Helio, JPM, and TK are all still very competitive there at 41-42 is more interesting to me than Buddy qualifying a solid 33rd out of 33 entered cars at age 49.

Judging by his last 2 efforts it seems his team's preparation has also been pretty poor.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I mean, his team is running the Indy 500 with less money than a Lights teams spends on the Freedom 100 so... (thats an exaggeration, but not by much considering he gets free tires from Firestone from what i hear)

I don't fault Buddy at all, he owns the car and is a 500 winner, why should he put someone else in the car? Thats just another mouth to feed. Plus it's easier to get sponsors on the car probably finishing last if hes in it vs Veach or Telitz or whoever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, it's a bit of damned if you do, damned if you don't. But that ride pretty much only exists because we need to have 33 entries.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

I mean, his team is running the Indy 500 with less money than a Lights teams spends on the Freedom 100 so... (thats an exaggeration, but not by much considering he gets free tires from Firestone from what i hear)

I don't fault Buddy at all, he owns the car and is a 500 winner, why should he put someone else in the car? Thats just another mouth to feed. Plus it's easier to get sponsors on the car probably finishing last if hes in it vs Veach or Telitz or whoever.

I can't help but want to cheer him on for some reason because it just seems so drat odd in this day and age.

Comes across more like something we'd have seen more common place pre-2000's with some guy on a shoe string budget some how tries to make it in the race. My question is...is he doing this to eventually start a team or for other motivations?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Buddy loves to race.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~

Dudley posted:

They're well off last year's practice times though, so I don't know how much it means. What were the conditions like?

https://twitter.com/GrahamRahal/status/845365070750236675

I can confirm it was very windy

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Human Grand Prix posted:

Buddy loves to race.

If you had a chance to race in the Indy 500 every year even though you were slow, who here wouldn't jump at that?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

devmd01 posted:

If you had a chance to race in the Indy 500 every year even though you were slow, who here wouldn't jump at that?

I didn't like the IRL, either.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2 time Silver Crown champ, long time USAC winner, and IRL/Pro Series driver Dave Steele was killed in Florida tonight. :(

http://www.espn.com/racing/story/_/id/19005639/sprint-car-driver-dave-steele-killed-crash

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Interesting, then Chilton's speed may not be entirely false.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

devmd01 posted:

sup Marty Roth

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I drove the Momo Ferrari 333 SP last night in Forza.

That has to be one of the most incredible things Dallara has ever helped create, right?

I did want to ask more about them as a manufacturer btw. What has been their involvement, success in auto racing outside of IndyCar? I'm vaguely aware of their efforts in IMSA, F1, but I'd really like to learn more. How close are they in regards to projects related to Ferrari and F1? Why does crapwagon hate them so much?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They do Haas' F1 stuff these days, which is large parts Ferrari in terms of engine and some other innards but I don't think they directly work with Ferrari.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

They do Haas' F1 stuff these days, which is large parts Ferrari in terms of engine and some other innards but I don't think they directly work with Ferrari.

Ferrari engine, transmission, and suspension. I think that's all they are allowed to provide. The rest is Dallara and it's actually a pretty good car.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dallara also wiped out everyone in the lower formula categories.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Even Super Formula. Not even King Hiro's Swift provides chassis for them any more.

wicka posted:

Ferrari engine, transmission, and suspension. I think that's all they are allowed to provide. The rest is Dallara and it's actually a pretty good car.

I still think running a satellite team in IndyCar would be a good move for them, but that's just my stupid homerism.

Speaking of F1..I look at Stroll and shake my head. For as much as I was critical of Rossi at one point? Dude could run well in a backmarker, and I think he'd have done well with a team like Williams. Ah well, Rossi gets to be immortalized on the Borg Warner and pulled off the biggest upset in IndyCar history sans Dan in 2011.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IndyCar, Indy Lights, Formula 2, GP3, Formula V8, Super Formula, I think Formula E, all spec Dallara series. It's kind of incredible.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Speaking of F1..I look at Stroll and shake my head. For as much as I was critical of Rossi at one point? Dude could run well in a backmarker, and I think he'd have done well with a team like Williams. Ah well, Rossi gets to be immortalized on the Borg Warner and pulled off the biggest upset in IndyCar history sans Dan in 2011.

It's been a while since I've seen a driver so obviously unprepared for the series they're in.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Except Formula 4 where Taatus still has most of the chassis, hence Taatus doing USF-2000 and Pro Mazda since they're basically Formula 4 chassis now.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dome still exists too. They do the Japanese F4 chassis.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I still wonder if we'll ever see King Hiro's Swift or Panoz ever show back up in the IndyCar field again.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Dallara built reasonable F1 chassis in the late 80s/early 90s too for BMS Italia who eventually merged with Minardi.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dudley posted:

Dallara built reasonable F1 chassis in the late 80s/early 90s too for BMS Italia who eventually merged with Minardi.

I love the F191.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Dallara didn't design it, but they did manufacture the monocoques for the various Audi R18s.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

I love the F191.

Yeah, as a kid, if you asked for an F1 car drawing it's basically exactly that shape.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

All this goes out the window when daddy waves $80 million at you to give his kid a ride.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

All this goes out the window when daddy waves $80 million at you to give his kid a ride.

I seriously wonder if he could just flat out start up his own cup, imsa, or indy team for the amount of he tossed at them. Seems like that would be a better investment of funds. Not like this guy is like the 2nd coming of 1994-1997 Jacques Villeneueve or something.

I mean hell, SRA's team for example seems to be running up front in Trucks, ARCA for example.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ah, "Doing a Menard".

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I seriously wonder if he could just flat out start up his own cup, imsa, or indy team for the amount of he tossed at them. Seems like that would be a better investment of funds. Not like this guy is like the 2nd coming of 1994-1997 Jacques Villeneueve or something.

I mean hell, SRA's team for example seems to be running up front in Trucks, ARCA for example.

But that isn't F1 and it sounds like Stroll's dad is enamored of that.

$80 mil would get you like ten years of a decent Indy ride but it isn't :allears: Formula 1 :allears:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
New drawing of the 2018 car just dropped:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

But that isn't F1 and it sounds like Stroll's dad is enamored of that.

$80 mil would get you like ten years of a decent Indy ride but it isn't :allears: Formula 1 :allears:

Pretty much. I think he also helped bankroll the original Lotus team in their dying days.

KingShibby posted:

New drawing of the 2018 car just dropped:

:flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Why does the drawing not include the protective windscreen? We're going to need to start getting used to seeing them on all the cars.

• Locked thread