Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

You can't do a copper for killing someone then you certainly can't do a soldier for it.

State gotta protect it's right to kill.

E: anybody else noticed this thread has like the highest ratio of awful posters to normal posters of any other thread on SA? I mean even I hang around here! It's like if the I/P thread had a dozen MIGFs.
Maybe I just don't go in enough threads or maybe British people are uniquely awful.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jose posted:

Is the daily mail picking up new readers or is its readership going to vanish when boomers finally die?

The Daily Mail is losing readers, just not as fast as any of the other papers.

Papers are definitely on the way out, which is why journalism has become so screeching partisan and shoddy of late, because there's no money to pay for quality work and papers are doubling down on whatever their perceived viewpoint is to hang onto the voters they have left. It's why it's so frustrating that the the British political system pays so much heed to the whims of the newspapers, since they represent an ever diminishing and extreme section of society.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Jose posted:

Is the daily mail picking up new readers or is its readership going to vanish when boomers finally die?
Can't see that happening luckily.
It's dropped by just under 100k per year over the last 7 years. While not all people who die would read it, it does kind of correlate - given that the alleged average age of a heil reader is 58.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

The Daily Mail is losing readers, just not as fast as any of the other papers.

Papers are definitely on the way out, which is why journalism has become so screeching partisan and shoddy of late, because there's no money to pay for quality work and papers are doubling down on whatever their perceived viewpoint is to hang onto the voters they have left. It's why it's so frustrating that the the British political system pays so much heed to the whims of the newspapers, since they represent an ever diminishing and extreme section of society.

Problem is that although a tiny percentage of the population (like 3% iirc) buys a daily newspaper, those newspapers and their newsrooms continue to be the pipeline via which news enters the public consciousness. Their influence doesn't come from their readership as such, it comes from their ability to frame issues, and decide how they're first presented to the public. They kind of taint the water at the source.
For all the people talk up poo poo like Twitter as the new media if you follow any scandal there back to the source you'll probably find a Mail or HuffPo article at the beginning.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TinTower posted:

Well, true, but the decision reads like "sure, he might have committed a teensy war crime, but he was a such a good boy before hand".

That said, the willingness of the judge to accept the mitigation so easily probably plays into other dynamics.

Take Chelsea Manning, for example. She really should've got mitigation at least for being certified as being unfit to serve whilst serving, but the Obama administration wanted to make an example of her and the press had her pegged as a "pro-terrorist traitor".
Chelsea manning was tried under a different legal system, with different laws

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The mail website is incredibly popular. They were "click baiting" before the internet was invented. Also people becoming more right wing as they get older has been a thing for ever. Combine that with scottish Independence/ us vs them "negotiations" with the eu/ a tanking economy. Perfect conditions for the right.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/846998647489335296

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

nopantsjack posted:

British people are uniquely awful.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
loving lol

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I honestly cant wrap my head around why the loving numptys in this country want to be ruled by openly evil posh arseholes. Its almost like some form of BDSM

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
To be fair Britain has always been pretty conservative and authoritarian. The brief bouts with leftism are the exception, not the norm unfortunately.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
With that marine A business, I've read a few snippets in the press and haven't seen anything, but when he's talking about how much relief he feels and how glad he is to be going home, is there ever any sign of admission of guilt, or anything about his victims? I guess he's probably been coached to avoid saying anything that puts his actions in a negative light (or just doesn't care), just wondering if there is any the awareness that what he did was wrong, since he knew it was wrong when he did it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think he knew he would get done for it if found out, which isn't the same as knowing it is wrong.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So May did wind up skipping visiting Northern Ireland in her pre-Article 50 tour.

2 out of three good enough I guess

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I wish they'd drop UKIP out of these rankings, even more so now that they have 0 MPs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Lol.

https://twitter.com/leohickman/status/846634268973518848

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boy don't I hate getting 4 weeks paid holiday a year.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

I also like that we haven't had nearly 10 years of LED improvement and all LEDs are still harsh blue white light without exceptions somehow. Same with vacuum cleaners, motor technology is still stuck in the 1900s for some reason, with more wattage = better.
Fitting for the telegraph I suppose.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

They can't even count to six for gently caress's sake

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Harsh blue is far preferable to dingy yellow, imo. Wilkos do these nice daylight bulbs that give off a diffuse sky colour which is nice.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

I_Socom posted:

They can't even count to six for gently caress's sake

No, you see barmy UNELECTED eurocrats forced us all to count from zero, so it's technically right.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Don't Lol me posted:

I also like that we haven't had nearly 10 years of LED improvement and all LEDs are still harsh blue white light without exceptions somehow. Same with vacuum cleaners, motor technology is still stuck in the 1900s for some reason, with more wattage = better.
Fitting for the telegraph I suppose.

I've got 'warm' led lights in my kitchen. I got them from Screwfix.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Using "Cool White" corn bulb LED lights here ourselves. Cheap, give off a bright white light with much less artificial flavour than a flourescent, and only rings in at 6W.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I really liked the LED lamp I had until I broke it like a total fanny. What a stupid thing to whinge about. And the Working Time Directive is one of the best things we ever got from the EU. What a load of drivel. I hate the right.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I've got 'warm' led lights in my kitchen. I got them from Screwfix.

Last time I went for some in B&Q, a whole massive display was mainly warm white - so hardly a speciality item that's hard to find. Hell, you can get filament ones to even get the old style effect.

How you can rail against them when you are literally lighting your house for 10% of what it was previously, I do not know.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

I really liked the LED lamp I had until I broke it like a total fanny. What a stupid thing to whinge about. And the Working Time Directive is one of the best things we ever got from the EU. What a load of drivel. I hate the right.

Let's make a lefty version. a) Rules on state aid to businesses, b) public tendering rules, c) uhh, I guess the growth and stability pact though it only applies to eurozone and was broken by almost everyone including France and Germany

e: maybe d) Common Market VAT rules and e) nationalisation requires compensation?

of course, as shown by all the surveys, the main actual reason is the unspoken-about giant in the room, t o o - m u c h - i m m i g r a t i o n - a n d - p a n d e r i n g - t o - f o r e i g n s :spooky:

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 29, 2017

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The great crested newt, bendy bananas and the cold, unnatural light of the LED lightbulb.

Seriously, what

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Let's make a lefty version. a) Rules on state aid to businesses, b) public tendering rules, c) uhh, I guess the growth and stability pact though it only applies to eurozone and was broken by almost everyone including France and Germany

e: maybe d) Common Market VAT rules and e) nationalisation requires compensation?
CAP. Not forcing France to scrap the CFA zone.

Don't Lol me posted:

How you can rail against them when you are literally lighting your house for 10% of what it was previously, I do not know.
They're less tolerant of power surges and they're not so good in the freezing cold. Also if you have electric heating you're not really losing anything with incandescents in winter. You can't use them to incubate chicks. That's about all I got.

In a decent insulated gas heated home (all of which also save you money) you're better off with LEDs, which also save you money, but lol British housing stock.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Great crested Newt isn't endangered in the UK. So lets make them endangered.

Great start to the day. Worse and worse. I cry.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 29, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Good morning UKMT.

I follow Parliament Wikiedits (https://twitter.com/parliamentedits) on twitter, and just now this gem popped up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Anna_Soubry&action=history

Someone from an IP address associated with parliament has removed information from Anna Soubrys page giving the following reasons:

• "Page very unbalanced - statements that provoke controversy removed"
  • "Further controversial statements removed, as well as unnecessary excess detail"
  • "libellous information removed."

All the information removed was factual and sourced.

Seems completely legit. A wikipedia editor has immediately reverted it, thankfully. Further proof that the UK government is full of fine upstanding internet experts that can be trusted not to abuse any powers they push through.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

They're less tolerant of power surges and they're not so good in the freezing cold. Also if you have electric heating you're not really losing anything with incandescents in winter. You can't use them to incubate chicks. That's about all I got.

In a decent insulated gas heated home (all of which also save you money) you're better off with LEDs, which also save you money, but lol British housing stock.

True for the non-dimmable ones, not sure about the freezing ones as I have a floodlight version outside that has no problem with that.
Poor chicks though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kokoro Wish posted:

Using "Cool White" corn bulb LED lights here ourselves. Cheap, give off a bright white light with much less artificial flavour than a flourescent, and only rings in at 6W.

Imagine how much you could see if they were 1600W!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/847025379802071040

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

CAP. Not forcing France to scrap the CFA zone.

I kinda like the CAP though, some kinks with ineffectual ecological regulations aside. Maybe it's wrong of me when I usually advocate for free trade helping poorer countries (and end to agricultural protectionism almost certainly would). I know it's bad for African farmers and such, and that the EU can be very protectionist. There is the usual argument about it strategically wrong to be dependent on food imports, but well uhh Britain has always been anyway I guess. I suppose I don't mind handouts for farmers too much even if it hurts poor people. Kind-of a weird admission to make.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Another exciting YouGov poll that gives an insight into the leave voting section of society.

https://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/847017907800412160

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wow Tory PM surges in popularity on Britain's 'Independence Day', how could this be

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

You can't do a copper for killing someone then you certainly can't do a soldier for it.

State gotta protect it's right to kill.

E: anybody else noticed this thread has like the highest ratio of awful posters to normal posters of any other thread on SA? I mean even I hang around here! It's like if the I/P thread had a dozen MIGFs.
Maybe I just don't go in enough threads or maybe British people are uniquely awful.

It used to be pretty much pissflaps until a few months ago, then jBrereton popped up as a pound shop Flaps and a couple of Europol nazis started posting in here more regularly. I've never blocked anyone on these forums before but I'm considering it in an effort to make this thread actually readable.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TTerrible posted:

Another exciting YouGov poll that gives an insight into the leave voting section of society.

https://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/847017907800412160

that they're old and need purging

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Red Oktober posted:

I wish they'd drop UKIP out of these rankings, even more so now that they have 0 MPs.

Even though they're "the enemy", it's not good that ukip has 10% public support and 0% of parliamentary​ representation.

Jose posted:

that they're old and need purging

The old tend to naturally self-purge.

Be thankful the UK isn't like France or the Netherlands where far right it's heavily supported by <24. :gonk:

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

feedmegin posted:

It used to be pretty much pissflaps until a few months ago, then jBrereton popped up as a pound shop Flaps and a couple of Europol nazis started posting in here more regularly. I've never blocked anyone on these forums before but I'm considering it in an effort to make this thread actually readable.

Ugh people with different opinions are the worst.

• Locked thread