Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Titanic posted:

When I see this face smiling up at me from the foot of the gynecologists chair, I know my junk is in good hands that are fast enough to take immediate action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The Titanic posted:

That sounds kind of funny then. I could get behind a comedy sketch about cars. Though I'm also not entirely sure how it'd go, but judging from British humor it'd be kind of funny but not quite hit the mark. Not to say that there haven't been absolutely genius funny British stuff, it's not usually centered around making cars funny. But thank you for the explanation, I appreciate it! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6dCuz34LRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3xnsRrKebQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPnIpjodA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnVZXQD5_k

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Break out the bunny outfit with a crossbow and tell him you've seen poo poo as you give the 1,000 yard stare.

And ask him if he wants to check out your sex doll pleasure bot collection.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Does Star Citizen lore ever explain why the Chinese become an interplanetary race of turtle people?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

OH GOD KELLY'S COUSIN IS HERE TALKING TO ME ABOUT STAR CITIZEN AND GOONS AND REFUNDS I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG I CAN KEEP THIS UP HELP

Tell him that you're the one who beets. Then do the secret goon handshake, then play some star marine.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

trucutru posted:

Tell him that you're the one who beets. Then do the secret goon handshake, then play some star marine.

Yeah, just what he wants...to wait around 4 hours before a match starts.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MilesK posted:

Does Star Citizen lore ever explain why the Chinese become an interplanetary race of turtle people?

After the Japanese became bird people and annexed plenty of the Xi'an territory around the time of the second galactic war, the Chinese decided that turtles are well equipped to deal with birds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8rU-bLYM7Y

E: And yes, the space Japanese struck the UEC by surprise, igniting a war, and used space-kamikaze tactics.

quote:

Originally the Tevarin followed Rijora (/REE-jorr-ah/), a warrior-code similar to Bushidō on ancient Earth. The Tevarin believed in honor, fealty and duty above all else. Breaking their strict code meant excommunication or even execution in extreme cases.

After their defeat in the first war and the loss of their homeworld, the code began to lose popularity. The Second Tevarin War was an attempt to reclaim Tevarin’s previous glory. When it failed miserably, the last believers of Rijora flung themselves toward Kaleeth, burning up in the atmosphere and crashing into the planet

They performed spacepukku too.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 29, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

trucutru posted:

After the Japanese became bird people and annexed plenty of the Xi'an territory around the time of the second galactic war, the Chinese decided that turtles are well equipped to deal with birds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8rU-bLYM7Y

This poo poo is painful to look at. And I love some very bad sci-fi poo poo. Goddammit how can someone not have an original thought?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DapperDon posted:

This poo poo is painful to look at. And I love some very bad sci-fi poo poo. Goddammit how can someone not have an original thought?

B..ut, look at all this lore we have obtained for the lore masters!

quote:

The Xi'An (pronounced : / SHEE-ahn /)[1] Empire is located along the border of the Eastern Systems.

quote:

Relations with the Xi’An have warmed over the centuries, but it would be difficult to call them friendly without a slight hint of sarcasm. ‘Guarded’ is probably a more accurate term. The Xi’An present themselves as polite but neutral, particularly to those they have never met before. This is an age-old social testing mechanism. They approach a person as a blank-slate and let the other person set the tone. There are those within the Xi’An Empire who felt that their way of life was too stifling, welcomed Humanity’s ‘childish’ emotions as a breath of fresh air and expatriated into the UEE.

-Language -

Shē’sueren – literally “Hello and Greetings with Peace.” This is the formal greeting and meant to only be used among close friends or with trusted business partners or in the hope of establishing a bond. Use of this phrase in a casual manner or when approaching a situation with tension or duplicity will immediately marginalize you in the Xi’An’s eyes.

A majority of the Xi’An can be quite forgiving when it comes to minor social infractions. They understand that, more often than not, it is not intentional and appreciate the effort to learn their customs. But if you find yourself offending a Xi’An, you don’t have to worry. They won’t get angry or try to kill you. The Xi’An find such displays of emotion to be immature. They will simply shut down and become curt, succinct, and intractable

E: And, by the way, the Xi'an are engaged in a war against the space-Mongols. I.poo poo.you.not.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 29, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

How much is he in for?

"only" 200, so I just lorded my Concierge status in his face and talked about pipelines, am I doing this right?

I also might have let it slip that goons are in fact cool and good and right lmao

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

HE ASKED ME IF I'D TRIED STAR MARINE AND I TOLD HIM I REALLY LIKED THE PART WHERE I BECAME A SPAGHETTIMAN AND SLID THROUGH THE WALLS I THINK HE MIGHT BE ON TO ME

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

OH GOD KELLY'S COUSIN IS HERE TALKING TO ME ABOUT STAR CITIZEN AND GOONS AND REFUNDS I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG I CAN KEEP THIS UP HELP

:ohdear: r u ok commando?

get him talking about the dirty goons and their love for cute animals then call in kayak and see how long it takes for him to twig also give kayak a pat for being a good dog :petdog:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

lol destiny 2 gonna be out before 3.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ4i0AT8c-M

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So I briefly mentioned something awful and refunds and he brought up Derek Smart so I just started talking a lot about beets and making sure to talk about how kayak is a good boy and I think it finally clicked. We are now talking about not star citizen lmao.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

So I briefly mentioned something awful and refunds and he brought up Derek Smart so I just started talking a lot about beets and making sure to talk about how kayak is a good boy and I think it finally clicked. We are now talking about not star citizen lmao.

Once again Kayak saves someone from awkward conversation by being a good boy. Works in thread and real life.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait till he finds out that you and Derek are practically BFF. You guys will even talk more about not star citizen than ever.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

What does he think about Free Beer?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

trucutru posted:

B..ut, look at all this lore we have obtained for the lore masters!

E: And, by the way, the Xi'an are engaged in a war against the space-Mongols. I.poo poo.you.not.

how the hell do you have cardinal directions in three-dimensional space? Plus everything else but like if you're putting cardinal directions in space you can't have Generic Space Chinese coming from, say, the north or something?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jason Sextro posted:

how the hell do you have cardinal directions in three-dimensional space? Plus everything else but like if you're putting cardinal directions in space you can't have Generic Space Chinese coming from, say, the north or something?

But then it would be too subtle? You have to think about their user base.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jason Sextro posted:

compass needle gonna point somewhere ain't it?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Traveller RPG had the compass needle point towards the galactic core, then had the cardinal directions of coreward, rimward, spinward, and trailing.

Z-axis got ignored however because it was too complex for an 80's tabletop RPG :shrug:

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Do the space-Chinese have a huge space wall?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Yes, and the space-Mexicans paid for it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ComfyPants posted:

Do the space-Chinese have a huge space wall?

ask and you shall receive!

quote:

The Perry Line (2789)

A line of systems that acted as a no-man’s-land between the UEE and the Xi’An. These systems (Tohil, Oya, Gurzil, Horus, Pallas, Hadur, Indra and Virtus) became known as the Perry Line.

They also have triads. Space triads.

quote:

So criminals within the Xi’An Empire are similar to the syndicates within the UEE, sprawling disciplined organizations whose business happens to be crime.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 29, 2017

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

do they have Space-Xinjiang? Space-Tibet in Space-southwest of "The Eastern Systems" between them and Space-India?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Titanic posted:

Well, friend, how many 3D modelers do you think have the knowledge to build a patcher even with a tutorial to follow? Because outside of 3D modeling, CIG is running a bit scarce on actual programming talent.

Since building one that improves of what CIG currently has would be a suitable lab project for anyone getting into file system and high-level network programming, I'd say… oh… roughly all of them.

It's would be a pretty neat task:
• Learn how to open, read, and close files to create checksums.
• Learn how to open, read, and close files over a network link to download a manifest of server file checksums.
• Learn how to compare checksums and build a list of files to retrieve.
• Learn how to invoke a separate library to handle bulk file downloads from a central repository.
• Learn how to invoke a separate library to handle zip-file management.
• Learn how to smack your boss in the mouth when he starts mumbling about pointless signing and/or encryption of said zip files.
• Bonus round: learn why you don't use release-version file containers while you're still in development and have a constant need for numerous small updates.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jason Sextro posted:

do they have Space-Xinjiang? Space-Tibet in Space-southwest of "The Eastern Systems" between them and Space-India?

They have space-Shanghai, a special space economic zone where with a huge space port for shipping space goods

quote:

Indra is a former Perry Line system that the Xi’An have designated as a vibrant and diverse shipping hub where capital ships dock to unload cargo for transport. This free flow of trade has led to more relaxed security protocols than other Xi’An systems.

A seemingly endless supply of heavy metals, fertilizers, heavy machinery and clean water is required, and the Xi’An as always pay top dollar for items they need.

And, of course space-Guangzhou

quote:

Tal is a system on the edge of the Xi’An Empire and one which has been generally receptive to extended human presence. The entire planetary series is what the Xi’An call a ProductionSystem: every planet has been carefully planned and patterned as a specific work zone. Each inhabited world (Tal II through V) is filled with factories, refineries, food production domes and other facilities and each planet has a specific purpose in a larger production chain.

One visually surprising element of Tal is that the Xi’An love of large scale organization means that they have actually color coded their ProductionSystem worlds: EVERY structure on Tal II is a bright yellow, Tal III purple, Tal IV dark green and Tal V a burnt orange. Humans regularly express their disbelief that such a system is even possible, although it goes a long way to explaining why Xi’An frequently have trouble adapting to the chaos of human cities.

Although the actual system is far more complex than a simple summary can provide, merchants should know that Tal II produces large scale space fabrication, Tal III food and textiles, Tal IV processes hydrogen and antimatter and Tal V is responsible for end-stage processing of weapons. The Xi’An are happy to purchase raw materials for use on their factory planets and they sell surplus production runs at fair prices. It’s not the best place in the galaxy to score a deal, but dealing with the Xi’An is as close to being able to guarantee a small profit as you can find.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

think of it like a series of missions tacked on to the PU and if you bought sq42 you have access to these missions. each one can be instanced so you never see any other players unless in a social area

some mp/mmo games have done this before, especially when handling more story driven questlines

How would that work for the 3 players that have bought only the SQ42 part (didn't they split both products a year ago?)?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

How would that work for the 3 players that have bought only the SQ42 part (didn't they split both products a year ago?)?
exactly

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

DapperDon posted:

No offense taken friendo.

I don't think it has anything to do with living under a rock, I have heard of it just never watched it. I happen to think that British tv shows are not good except for Benny Hill and Monty Python.

Watch Luther (it's on Netflix) or The Tunnel and tell me that a second time.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thoatse posted:

Position is zero-order, 3rd order is jerk like me because I love when people don't understand poo poo and broadcast whooshing sounds on twitter

thank you i was just about to post this. someone just trolled her with first semester physics and calculus lmao. some basic high school poo poo there. lmao derivatives are very hard you guys

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Beet Wagon posted:

Tell him you are cymelion.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Do Xinjiangs breed and eat Kilrathis ?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

trucutru posted:

They have space-Shanghai, a special space economic zone where with a huge space port for shipping space goods

And, of course space-Guangzhou

Wow that's so boring it's almost impressive.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wow that's so boring it's almost impressive.

The thing is that the Xi'an are actually supposed to be 2/3 stereotypical Chinese and 1/3 stereotypical Russian. But outside the cold war (which is called... "the cold war" :monocle:) they had with the UEE (which makes them closer to the U.S., not Rome) they immediately forgot about the Russian component and went full retard on the Chinese lore.

Not that they would have done anything worth a drat with the Russian angle. They are complete hacks.

But I like reading their lore because it cracks me up.

quote:

The polar regions of Tat’ko are a source of bad-ice, a highly illegal frozen combination of water and refinable poisons.

quote:

First responders. The Shock Troops. The howl of their drop-pods (nicknamed: Nails)[1] screaming through atmo is a singularly unique and terrifying noise. There isn’t a combat zone hot enough to scare off the :siren:UEE MARINES:siren:

trucutru fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 29, 2017

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Bad-ice

Wow

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Thirsty Dog posted:

Bad-ice

Wow

Again, this is from the mind of the man who made the Kilrathi, so-called because they like to kill, and are full of wrath.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all