Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rocket League better be getting a flawless Switch port. And Spelunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I didn't notice performance issues in handheld, but it was noticeably better looking on TV. It's like playing through streaming video compression in handheld. I haven't had the framerate drop by BOTW levels yet, if that's any consolation.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

incoherent posted:

If it's running like that in handheld mode at sub-720p and better in dock it's more likely the GPU just isn't there, clockrate wise.. Chock it up to probably an engine that couldn't go that low on the specs. Set your expectations accordingly: we're going to see a LOT of these.

If people bring up BOTW that game probably had the best engineers working on that thing to look really good and the hardware team to dial that fucker in.

Orrrrrr they ported Snake Pass in a week, according to the developers. And I'm sure it was just a rush job so that it could launch on all platforms at once.

So no, were probably not going to see a "LOT" of these since every other game from here until the end of time will have had more development time than that.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rocket League better be getting a flawless Switch port. And Spelunky.

But the switch doesn't have analog triggers.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

You guys weren't kidding about this loving video game. I just started Zelda today and played it for about two hours, only to realize I was completely wrong and it was closer to five hours. :pwn:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's really starting to look like I might top 200 hours.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Devs gonna have to learn how to make games switch modes from docked to portable without restarting or running like poo poo.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

My hour count is gonna be incredibly confused soon because I'm planning on starting a bunch of random files that involve intentionally avoiding the intended solution to as much of the game as I can find.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got all 120 shrines and I don't want to play that game ever again.

Not because it's bad but like, it stopped being a challenge pretty fast and it just kinda turned into me walking around looking for shrines and that's about it. I can't imagine doing a second playthrough or anything because the only modifier I can think of is if I use nothing but twigs and never use powers which... wouldn't really make it harder. Just more tedious.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

andipossess posted:

My hour count is gonna be incredibly confused soon because I'm planning on starting a bunch of random files that involve intentionally avoiding the intended solution to as much of the game as I can find.

You know that starting a new save erases your old one, right?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bass Bottles posted:

You can make new profiles

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm not done with the main game yet (2 beasts and like 30 shrines left) but I kinda want to try to get all the korok seeds after. I normally hate collecting poo poo in open world games but exploring this world is just so relaxing to me.

I'll wait for the dlc though since I bet that "map feature" is a korok locator.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

The hour count is gonna incredibly confused because it'll be spread across several profiles.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I got all 120 shrines and I don't want to play that game ever again.

Not because it's bad but like, it stopped being a challenge pretty fast and it just kinda turned into me walking around looking for shrines and that's about it. I can't imagine doing a second playthrough or anything because the only modifier I can think of is if I use nothing but twigs and never use powers which... wouldn't really make it harder. Just more tedious.

How many hours did you play?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Norns posted:

My wife has been to busy doing adult poo poo for money to play with me =/

There's a bad joke in here but I'm not gonna be the one to do it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

You guys weren't kidding about this loving video game. I just started Zelda today and played it for about two hours, only to realize I was completely wrong and it was closer to five hours. :pwn:

Nah that's just you holding your switch upside-down

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I dunno how much Zelda I've played but I've needed to recharge the pro controller like four-five times and that thing takes its mAh's very seriously

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Norns posted:

My guess is zero

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
There are copies of Zelda at every store but no Switches in stock 😭

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Norns posted:

Probably a whole bunch. I'm not sure if there's a way to check on the switch and I left it kinda idle a lot

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

My guess is zero

??? Here's a picture I took of me wearing the suit you get for 120 shrines done

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 29, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just finished playing Binding of Isaac for the first time. That game is fantastic. Between that and Zelda, this system is going to destroy all of my spare time.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm not done with the main game yet (2 beasts and like 30 shrines left) but I kinda want to try to get all the korok seeds after. I normally hate collecting poo poo in open world games but exploring this world is just so relaxing to me.

I'll wait for the dlc though since I bet that "map feature" is a korok locator.

You are going to crack and use a guide.

I was climbing around on a snowy mountain when I got distracted by something and put down my controller, leaving me to idle with a flame sword next to a piece of ice on a wall. When I came back, I noticed that the ice had almost disappeared due to the ambient heat on my sword (which is really cool). I waited until the ice completely disappeared and I noticed some sparkles where it used to be. I pressed A. I got a Korok seed.

Good loving luck dude.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Probably a whole bunch. I'm not sure if there's a way to check on the switch and I left it kinda idle a lot

??? Here's a picture I took of me wearing the suit you get for 120 shrines done

Cool self own dude. Look, if you're gonna treat an open world game like a spergathon collection challenge you're gonna get fed up, that shouldn't have come as a surprise and/or disappointment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cool self own dude. Look, if you're gonna treat an open world game like a spergathon collection challenge you're gonna get fed up, that shouldn't have come as a surprise and/or disappointment.

I'm not entirely sure if I follow your logic.

Like I booted the game up and had a ton of fun for a good while, but due to the lack of enemy variation it got easier and easier to just deal with every challenge the game tossed at me. By the second dungeon I stopped dying entirely and just walked through the rest of the story content while casually exploring around. When it was done I thought "it's fun to explore" so I looked all over and collected the shrines and that was that.

All I was saying is that I don't think I could ever start a new file because after doing all that there's not a lot of enjoyment in it for me, personally. Enemies are easy and none of the dungeons were that exciting outside the final one and with no abilities really gained after the intro zone there wasn't a lot new to toy around with other then goofy physics nonsense..

I'm sorry if you took that as some kind of insult or whatever seems to have gotten you all riled up my dude. It's not even like I was saying it's a bad game or anything.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

people are allowed to not like a game

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I do think that BotW loses something significant once you get all your abilities and master the combat. Exploration becomes trivialized long before you see all there is to see. I'm​ not sure there's any way around that, and maybe it's okay because who says you have to see everything anyway, but I'm a little sad that I'll never get to replicate the sense of danger and awe of the first week or two I played it.

E: Just to be clear I think BotW might be the best game ever made. I just see that poster's point, and I feel it to some degree myself.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

people are allowed to not like a game

People are only allowed to not like a game if I also don't like the game

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm ready for Mario Kart. Does anyone want to play Mario Kart next Month?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm ready for Mario Kart. Does anyone want to play Mario Kart next Month?

I'm really excited for that silly Patrol Battlemode.

I wonder if online will throw you into a random battle type or if you can pick which type you want to play. Sounds dumb but worried about the playerbase being split between like... 6 different game modes all at once (it's 6 right?)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just did my second Switch-assisted 21 hour trip. More like 30 total including terminal and bus time. This device is non-negotiable carry-on from here on out. Zelda, VOEZ, Shovel Knight and FAST RMX and Master Blaster are awesome for air travel. I even played Snipperclips with a rando at a terminal, it was cool.

I haven't looked at my 3DS once since this thing was delivered on the 3rd. Switch is a gamechanger and I honestly don't see myself buying another non-portable console. A gaming PC, maybe, but a PS or XB style console holds basically no value for me. They may have 'better' graphics but what's the point in great graphics if they're trapped on a TV i'm nowhere near?

I'd be amazed if MS and Sony R&D aren't jamming together screens and batteries as we speak.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

well why not posted:

I'd be amazed if MS and Sony R&D aren't jamming together screens and batteries as we speak.

They aren't and won't ever again. There is no market in handhelds. Sony just recently killed the Vita cause it underperformed in its entire life cycle. It was the better, more powerful handheld compared to the 3DS, but outside of visual novels and Indie games and 5 good exclusives, it had nothing, except bad decisions (proprietary storage format, lol)

Vita meant Life

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They aren't and won't ever again. There is no market in handhelds. Sony just recently killed the Vita cause it underperformed in its entire life cycle. It was the better, more powerful handheld compared to the 3DS, but outside of visual novels and Indie games and 5 good exclusives, it had nothing, except bad decisions (proprietary storage format, lol)

Vita meant Life

Rear touchpads do not make a better, more powerful handheld. Sony massively hosed this up because their engineers are idiots with no clue of design language.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sony R&D / Industrial design is Russian Roulette. Every time they design a VAIO, Xperia or OG Walkman there's an equal chance you get an AIBO or a Vita.

My MS prediction is they'll make an xbox-branded tablet that streams games from your Xbone. It'll fail horribly everywhere out of the continental US and MS will act surprised that people don't want to saturate their home upstream connections and their mobile 4g to play laggy Halo.

well why not fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 29, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Cojawfee posted:

If you live in Europe, they are required to give you a refund. I wish we had that kind of legislation in the US.
Thankfully the British are being saved from this tyranny starting today. :britain:

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Dumb question:

Is there a way to create a second profile but have it sit silently in the background so I don't have to choose which profile I want to use when booting a game? Like, I want to keep my primary profile as the one games default to without asking, but I also want more profiles for Zelda saves/other* estores.

Basically I wish it worked like Xbox gamertags on one system where you log into one profile and arent asked again.

*Please don't say the use of "other" is racist.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

EpicNemesis posted:

Dumb question:

Is there a way to create a second profile but have it sit silently in the background so I don't have to choose which profile I want to use when booting a game? Like, I want to keep my primary profile as the one games default to without asking, but I also want more profiles for Zelda saves/other* estores.

Basically I wish it worked like Xbox gamertags on one system where you log into one profile and arent asked again.

*Please don't say the use of "other" is racist.

That's racist

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

parallelodad posted:

The whole thing was Neogaf exploding over loving nothing and then the rest of the internet going copying them, as per usual.
I don't think it's particularly unreasonable when the information on the box was wrong.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

well why not posted:

Sony R&D / Industrial design is Russian Roulette. Every time they design a VAIO, Xperia or OG Walkman there's an equal chance you get an AIBO or a Vita.

My MS prediction is they'll make an xbox-branded tablet that streams games from your Xbone. It'll fail horribly everywhere out of the continental US and MS will act surprised that people don't want to saturate their home upstream connections and their mobile 4g to play laggy Halo.

i dont think either sony or ms are gonna care about doing handhelds now when they both just made their consoles able to stream to other devices instead.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Healbot posted:

Rear touchpads do not make a better, more powerful handheld. Sony massively hosed this up because their engineers are idiots with no clue of design language.

the rear touchpad was kinda a nothing thing, and overall the vita is probably one of the nicest designed and well made pieces of gaming hardware. it was just super expensive and also had ridiculously expensive memory card, and it got no support. thats really all there is to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I bought Snake Pass and Neo Turf Masters :getin:

• Locked thread