Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

lets hang out posted:

please actually play video games

I think it's fine to skip D1 and D3 and just look up info on them seeing as D1 is pretty dated and D3 runs at 2 frames per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiNKk3fPed8

:rip: dolls

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Route E: Who are the 5th and 6th pods? There's 042 and 153, and the 2 other pods you can find during the game. But in the E ending there is a mention of "the 6 of us" and I think the ending scenes show 6 pods carrying stuff.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Section 9 posted:

Route E: Who are the 5th and 6th pods? There's 042 and 153, and the 2 other pods you can find during the game. But in the E ending there is a mention of "the 6 of us" and I think the ending scenes show 6 pods carrying stuff.

Pod 042, Pod 153, A2, 9S, 2B... and you, the player. Six people.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Might be meant to have a double meaning but the six pods are 42-a-b-c and 153 a-b-c

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
You might remember those numbers featuring prominently in Drakengard 3. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Six people.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nier:A ost on iTunes now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

9S's voice actor did the entire segment in B that everyone hoped he would.

Him just yelling WOAAAAAAAAAH at the **** 2B part after reading it is great.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Alder posted:

Nier:A ost on iTunes now.

Aa hell. I hate that iTunes is the only digital option but I guess I'll have to buy it

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Nina posted:

Aa hell. I hate that iTunes is the only digital option but I guess I'll have to buy it

Amazon has it as well, but it's a bit pricier.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I got no clue if this was already posted

https://twitter.com/SaitoYosuke_Z/status/846983046146506752

"Just a little more... a little more... until what's beyond the apologetic robots"

Another interview with Taro too
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/28/yoko-taro-speaks-varied-endings-meanings-nier-automata/

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 29, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

bunky posted:

Rad. I'll gladly pay for the privilege of not having to use iTunes

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Nina posted:

Rad. I'll gladly pay for the privilege of not having to use iTunes

yeah, gently caress their limited download access, Amazon is way better.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

His very last bit gives an interesting reason for putting save-data sacrifices into his games that I never would have considered.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

"Just a little more... a little more... until what's beyond the apologetic robots"

I hope whatever this is a simultaneous release. I don't want to have to hide from spoilers again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

bunky posted:

Well now I feel slightly dumb for buying it from that japanese site.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Johnny Landmine posted:

His very last bit gives an interesting reason for putting save-data sacrifices into his games that I never would have considered.

I had considered it as a personal reason why watching the final ending and playing it are two very different things in meaning and intent, though I wasn't certain Taro had implemented it for this reason but I'm glad it is that way.

I feel like it comes back to yesterdays conversation somewhat where just watching a summary of NieR 1, regardless of whether it's all cutscenes/mission dialogue or just short, doesn't really transmit what the game is all too well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Nier 1 is janky and doesn't win any gameplay awards, but it's really not UNPLEASANT to play - it has some grindiness to it and it's a nightmare to 100%, but the combat is just mediocre, not outright SUFFERING like Drakengard. If you have the time, money and will to play it, it's a better experience that way. It has a lot of random banter between characters during missions/side-missions, and having the controls for some of the more gut-punchy sequences really makes a difference.

The Drakengard series is probably better experienced via LP though. D1 is definitely a BAD game, and D3 has horrendous performance issues.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It's really true. I think it was in his GDC presentation when Taro stated the idea for the original game's Ending D was "how can an emotional reaction be incited within the player while in the menu screen" but obviously a player just reading a summary or even watching the game won't feel any attachment to the progress within the game's system.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Exactly.
It's thinking like that which makes Yoko Taro a good developer. I know this is the Taro circlejerk thread basically so yeah, you're gonna expect this kind of post in here, but he's just generally more inventive, interesting and more forward thinking than basically every other dev in the industry. People bring up Kojima but even he plays most things more straight forward.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Exactly.
It's thinking like that which makes Yoko Taro a good developer. I know this is the Taro circlejerk thread basically so yeah, you're gonna expect this kind of post in here, but he's just generally more inventive, interesting and more forward thinking than basically every other dev in the industry. People bring up Kojima but even he plays most things more straight forward.

Well, Kojima also makes games that are fun to play.

Yoko Taro can develop the game / write the script, but someone needs to be in charge of gameplay to truly make it good. Even Nier Automata is just ok or passable in terms of gameplay.

A Kojima / Yoko Taro game would be great. Unless Kojima did the writing and YT did the gameplay then :stonk:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well, Kojima also makes games that are fun to play.

Yoko Taro can develop the game / write the script, but someone needs to be in charge of gameplay to truly make it good. Even Nier Automata is just ok or passable in terms of gameplay.

A Kojima / Yoko Taro game would be great. Unless Kojima did the writing and YT did the gameplay then :stonk:

Kojima is a man that wanted to make a game where the playstation would burn up and destroy your disc if you die, forcing you to buy the game again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Unless Kojima did the writing and YT did the gameplay then :stonk:

:unsmigghh:

The ultimate trolled by cavia

Just read somewhere else that someone should give Borderlands to Yoko Taro so people would like Randy Pitchford again and now I'm just a bit disgusted...

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 29, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hard to imagine Kojima giving up narrative control. It's a nice dream though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Okabe, Yoshida, Yoko, (Platinum not necessary but would be appreciated)

Final Fantasy XVI

You know it needs to happen.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
In his next game (spoilers people): You delete your savefile and then you have one shot at a final final boss. Savescumming doesn't work. The game fools you into thinking you might lose to raise the stakes, but of course you can't actually lose.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Huh, guess I'm gonna have to play through the game again sooner than I thought I would.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I think my opinion of Kojima's chaotically ad-lib "writing" is as low as my recently newfound admiration for Yoko Taro's approach is high. I also really strongly dislike Kojima's creepy focus on his lady "characters", that "make me feel ashamed for my words and deeds", while Yoko Taro's horniness feels relievingly incidental and isn't the focus of the game (beyond some thematic subtext) or cutscene camera. And yes, that's considering what happens when you self destruct and what the first (non-intro-)boss looks like.

but maybe i'm just being unfair due to different levels of over/under saturation

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I think my opinion of Kojima's chaotically ad-lib "writing" is as low as my recently newfound admiration for Yoko Taro's approach is high. I also really strongly dislike Kojima's creepy focus on his lady "characters", that "make me feel ashamed for my words and deeds", while Yoko Taro's horniness feels relievingly incidental and isn't the focus of the game (beyond some thematic subtext) or cutscene camera. And yes, that's considering what happens when you self destruct and what the first (non-intro-)boss looks like.

but maybe i'm just being unfair due to different levels of over/under saturation

Hmm. The pervy elements are equally creepy in each of their works, in my opinion. I will give Taro points for just being upfront about it, with no pretentious justifications.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I want to see him make a game with Gen Urobuchi for MAXIMUM SUFFERING.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Call me crazy, but even with Taro's let's-just-say bluntness in interviews, I still feel like he has respect for his characters. Yeah, A2 and Kaine are seriously underdressed, and 2B's rear is memetic in and of itself, but that's never the be-all, end-all of them as individuals. They're never just there for eye-candy, they accomplish, they grow, they suffer and triumph. Their designs are as much of a bait-and-switch as anything else in his games, something I believe he mentioned specifically with regards to Kaine.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The cutscenes don't really have much male gaze at all in this game. It is there, but it's not constant or even often. Most of the perv stuff is there for people who fish for it, rather than shoved up front.

e: autocorrect

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 29, 2017

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I'm just glad Automata doesn't have creepy Shower or Rain-Dancing scenes, Vagina bombs or stuff like the "Beauty" boss intro scenes. Although i've heard earlier Nier or drakengards have uncomfortable stuff like pedophilic characters, so maybe i just lucked out on the good sample.

i hope this isn't opening up a pandoras box of racing to the bottom, those don't tend to end well :(

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 29, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'm just glad Automata doesn't have creepy Shower or Rain-Dancing scenes, Vagina bombs or stuff like the "Beauty" boss intro scenes. Although i've heard earlier Nier or drakengards have uncomfortable stuff like pedophilic characters, so maybe i just lucked out on the good sample.

but anyway i really didn't mean to open up a pandoras box of race to the bottom, those don't tend to end well :(

The first Drakengard has a pedophile and a baby eater specifically to bring across the point that the characters aren't good people at all

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The cutscenes don't really have much male gaze at all in this game. It is there, but it's not constant or even often. Most of the perch stuff is there for people who fish for it, rather than shoved up front.

Yeah, I guess that's one of the things that I appreciate in the game. The camera isn't actively fishing for perv shots, even if you might be, and it would've been very easy to just shove those angles in.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Dias posted:

even if you might be
What Are You Doing?

11.7%

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dias posted:

Yeah, I guess that's one of the things that I appreciate in the game. The camera isn't actively fishing for perv shots, even if you might be, and it would've been very easy to just shove those angles in.

Did people play a different game where the camera wasn't being dragged around at ground level so you could see 2B(utt)?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

What Are You Doing?

11.7%

And that number represents people who have done it at least 10 times.

I got the achievement by accident and I'm not even ashamed of myself.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I feel silly buying some of the trophies because now I'm super close to 100% completion anyway

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

wait... there's an upskirt achievement? :lol: but(t) of course there is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did people play a different game where the camera wasn't being dragged around at ground level so you could see 2B(utt)?

Apparently they did, because I don't get the upskirt complaint at all during regular gameplay. The camera is either so far out that you can't see it or angled downwards because you're looking forwards. Maybe you were the one looking up to the skies the entire time???

Edit: like, there are instances where you get a face full of 2Butt but it's more on the costume than on the camera work.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

What Are You Doing?

11.7%

I wonder how many people heard there was an achievement for that and decided to try it out as opposed to people that just naturally got it, hehe.

Dias fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 29, 2017