Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how does crested newt taste like

edit: The 29th of March of the year of our Lord 2017, Great Britain sails forward on its Independence Day :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TTerrible posted:

Another exciting YouGov poll that gives an insight into the leave voting section of society.

https://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/847017907800412160
imo we should bring back:
The death penalty in schools
Dank blue smoking
Selling goods in pounds and shillings
Traditional incandescent passports
Corporal punishment in pubs and restaurants
Pre-decimal currency - light bulbs

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Literally minutes after my last post an article went up on the Beeb about the marine and the remorse he feels about his actions, so that answers that then. I think his sentencing was probably around the right level.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

I just hope the war crime marine doesn't get up to anything too naughty during the brexit wars

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Guavanaut posted:

Corporal punishment in pubs and restaurants

I'd be ok with this if it deterred people from bringing their kids to either type of place

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/847024855321063424

Thirteen percent.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The media did this.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is dontknow gaining ground at least??

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The people want brexit and brexit is what they're getting so everyone who complains itt about it needs to stop clearly

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

The people want brexit and brexit is what they're getting so everyone who complains itt about it needs to stop clearly

I don't understand the point you're making.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm ready to support Don't Know for PM.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I don't understand the point you're making.

i lost interest half way through the post which is probably why

May is popular for a reason though despite doing an actual shite job as PM

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Seaside Loafer posted:

I honestly cant wrap my head around why the loving numptys in this country want to be ruled by openly evil posh arseholes. Its almost like some form of BDSM

It's specifically because the alternative is Jeremy Corbyn and what he represents.

If he'd done the honorable thing and resigned after the brexit referendum things could be different.

Since the delusions about Corbyn somehow becoming prime minister have faded significantly, a new futile hope seems to have emerged. That if somehow Corbyn and his cadres can make the whole Labour Party stand for what he stands for, then somehow over time it will get a turn in power, and voila, far left government.

This is absurd. All this will do is destroy the Labour Party, and make the Liberal Democrats or some other new center-left party become the major opponent of the tories.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Except the Lib Dems have been openly center-right for a while now, and Corbyn is nowhere near far left.

Now if there was a plan to get an actual far left leader in, that I could get behind.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Private Speech posted:

Let's make a lefty version. a) Rules on state aid to businesses, b) public tendering rules, c) uhh, I guess the growth and stability pact though it only applies to eurozone and was broken by almost everyone including France and Germany

e: maybe d) Common Market VAT rules and e) nationalisation requires compensation?

of course, as shown by all the surveys, the main actual reason is the unspoken-about giant in the room, t o o - m u c h - i m m i g r a t i o n - a n d - p a n d e r i n g - t o - f o r e i g n s :spooky:

VAT rules are good though. Prevents a race to the bottom. And you can't have a functioning common market with totally divergent taxation

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

Let's make a lefty version. a) Rules on state aid to businesses, b) public tendering rules, c) uhh, I guess the growth and stability pact though it only applies to eurozone and was broken by almost everyone including France and Germany

e: maybe d) Common Market VAT rules and e) nationalisation requires compensation?

of course, as shown by all the surveys, the main actual reason is the unspoken-about giant in the room, t o o - m u c h - i m m i g r a t i o n - a n d - p a n d e r i n g - t o - f o r e i g n s :spooky:
- Free movement of capital
- Cheap as free plane fuel
- State aid laws
- European Army which is about to happen
- Paying the awful Turkish govt. money to receive exiled refugees.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

hakimashou posted:

It's specifically because the alternative is Jeremy Corbyn and what he represents.

If he'd done the honorable thing and resigned after the brexit referendum things could be different.

Since the delusions about Corbyn somehow becoming prime minister have faded significantly, a new futile hope seems to have emerged. That if somehow Corbyn and his cadres can make the whole Labour Party stand for what he stands for, then somehow over time it will get a turn in power, and voila, far left government.

This is absurd. All this will do is destroy the Labour Party, and make the Liberal Democrats or some other new center-left party become the major opponent of the tories.

The longer Corbyn stays the longer it will be before there is a real chance of a left wing government being elected, as Left wing is becoming to be seen as ineptitude all thanks to his lack of ability. Just look at the polling of <20's and they are going Tory, this needs to be stopped ASAP before this country is truly hosed.

edit: Article 50 has been triggered.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jBrereton posted:

- Free movement of capital
- Cheap as free plane fuel
- State aid laws
- European Army which is about to happen
- Paying the awful Turkish govt. money to receive exiled refugees.

Aviation fuel problem is bigger than the EU. It comes from international agreements dating back to the birth of commercial air travel.
Also the EU common defence will be good, since it's an alternative to NATO.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I feel more in control than ever before.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I feel more in control than ever before.

Same I'm thinking about all the things I want to do to my new flat

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

here we... here we... here we loving go!!!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I FEEL SO loving SOVEREIGN RIGHT NOW :sludgepal:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/847047933405093892

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cerv posted:

Aviation fuel problem is bigger than the EU. It comes from international agreements dating back to the birth of commercial air travel.
The EU made the policy law instead of fighting it, anyway, this is silver linings lexit talk not reasonable reasons to think brexit is good time.

quote:

Also the EU common defence will be good, since it's an alternative to NATO.
It'll be good for EADS, I can't see any reason it is better for your average European.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I wonder if things would be better had cameron not resigned like a coward

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

I wonder if things would be better had cameron not resigned like a coward
Probably not. But would they have been better if BoJo was PM???????

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

jBrereton posted:

Probably not. But would they have been better if BoJo was PM???????

I think Cameron might have been better.

BoJo oh god no. What about Leadsom?

e: on second thought Johnson might have not been that bad without being part of May's government

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
How would Cameron have been better?

I feel like the whole Brexit Massive in his own party would refuse to pass budgets unless he put forward a brexit plan that involved carving "gently caress off jerries" into the moon etc. because he was the public face of Remain.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

jBrereton posted:

How would Cameron have been better?

I feel like the whole Brexit Massive in his own party would refuse to pass budgets unless he put forward a brexit plan that involved carving "gently caress off jerries" into the moon etc. because he was the public face of Remain.

As opposed to Theresa May being very accommodating and not courting the nutty right at all?

Plus it would've damaged the Tories considerably.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

As opposed to Theresa May being very accommodating and not courting the nutty right at all?
There's space for Theresa May and the EU to find a path to a soft brexit, which is what the public actually wants.

I don't think Cameron would have had that option, he would have had riot in the streets no brexit or wall up the chunnel hard brexit.

quote:

Plus it would've damaged the Tories considerably.
I don't really care about the Tories I care about the country and the people in it.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It begins, the Great loving Up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jBrereton posted:

There's space for Theresa May and the EU to find a path to a soft brexit, which is what the public actually wants.

shes not doing a very good job of it lol

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jBrereton posted:

The EU made the policy law instead of fighting it, anyway, this is silver linings lexit talk not reasonable reasons to think brexit is good time.

It'll be good for EADS, I can't see any reason it is better for your average European.

There is no silver lining. The independent UK is not going to start taxing aviation fuel.

The average European probably won't care. But for hose who do want to stay out of the worst of USA imperialism the gradual decline of NATO will be nice. Shame the independent UK is going to stick in NATO till the bitter end.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

shes not doing a very good job of it lol
no, she isn't, but fingers crossed they'll get there.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

They actually did it, the absolute wastemen

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jBrereton posted:

Agreed.

I want to be proved wrong about Brexit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Shes doing what makes her popular which at the minute appears to be the hardest brexit possible. Lets hope the reality might set in a bit now article 50 has been invoked but lol i'm not holding out hope

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cerv posted:

There is no silver lining. The independent UK is not going to start taxing aviation fuel.
We already kinda-do, I could see APD going up.

quote:

The average European probably won't care. But for hose who do want to stay out of the worst of USA imperialism the gradual decline of NATO will be nice. Shame the independent UK is going to stick in NATO till the bitter end.
You're a lunatic if you think EUROFORCE Would stay out of the worst US imperialism. Verhofstadt was talking about how it was a shame Europe wasn't involved in Syria (despite the fact that multiple European countries clearly are) on Euronews last week. That's what this is about. EU politicians not feeling like they'll be taken seriously at the big dick real country table unless they have a military they can deploy haphazardly.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

Shes doing what makes her popular which at the minute appears to be the hardest brexit possible

Rhetorically, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So I started playing Bioshock: Infinite, which had been in my backlog since forever, yesterday. I'm finding it extremely appropiate for the times.

• Locked thread