Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I wouldn't overegg the coming of the European army - still plenty of opposition to the idea from the Baltic states and Poland eager not to undermine NATO and Austria, Ireland and Malta cautious over their neutrality

"Multi-speed" Europe might mean bilateral agreements but there's going to be opt outs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I was hoping someone could clarify things with a computer game analogy

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
European army?! Is all the guff about Brexit and laughing at the British blinding people to the fact that the EU as an instituiton is waaaaaay more fragile than people would like to admit?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Corbyn is going in pretty hard today, a little clumsy and overlong, but it's nice to hear him sounding actually pissed off.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

European army?!
Yeah you not watch much EU news?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Corbyn's on a charge right now.

Breath Ray posted:

Pong, but with only one paddle.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/847054368461524996

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

CK2 when your heir is an incompetent lunatic and fucks up everything you've been working on for the previous 400 years.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the national it's not you it's me

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
wait wiat wait why is she leaving Euratom, a legally distinct organisation too?

jesusc hrist lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

jBrereton posted:

jesusc hrist lol

the british people has voted

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

the british people has voted
That wasn't even on the table to vote for lol

man it's good to feel IN CONTROL

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jBrereton posted:

jesusc hrist lol

Nobody tells britane what to do with our atoms anymore

And we'll be having none of these 'subatomic particles' neither - atom is foreign for indivisible and that's how we like it!!!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
We're bringing back the plum pudding model of the atom just like we had before NAZI SCIENTIST Niels Bohr hosed it all up

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

baka kaba posted:

Nobody tells britane what to do with our atoms anymore

And we'll be having none of these 'subatomic particles' neither - atom is foreign for indivisible and that's how we like it!!!

what about particle 50

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

atom is foreign for indivisible and that's how we like it!!!
Get this foreign shite out of our classrooms now, let's get back to Anglish Worldken.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I for one am shocked that a pro-Brexit PM being lionised throughout the pro-Brexit media has resulted in success in opinion polls.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Julio Cruz posted:

I for one am shocked that a pro-Brexit PM being lionised throughout the pro-Brexit media has resulted in success in opinion polls.

What I find shocking is that the leader of a pro-EU political party can't capitalise on the country being split virtually 50/50 on the issue.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 29, 2017

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

APD isn't a tax on aviation fuel, jesus

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

did anybody save that quote somebody put in an old iteration of the UKMT that was a very tongue in cheek rendition of what life would be like post brexit? I can't remember the specifics but it had bits about good old fashioned light bulbs and playing cricket on the village green with 'a black fellow, but one of the good ones'.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cerv posted:

APD isn't a tax on aviation fuel, jesus
It is and it isn't, hope that helps.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pissflaps posted:

What I find shocking is that the leader of a pro-EU political party can't capitalise on the country being split virtually 50/50 on the issue.

:agreed: the #libdem fightback has been pretty embarrassing

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
tbf they've lost less seats than Labour this parliament.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Jose posted:

Shes doing what makes her popular which at the minute appears to be the hardest brexit possible. Lets hope the reality might set in a bit now article 50 has been invoked but lol i'm not holding out hope

Which makes me think with the poll where 13% think Corbyn would be best for PM and it's more about media image and party unity, not sure he would be any worse at the job than May. They don't have any answers other than austerity and a hard brexit to Britain's issues, we're on track to lose Scotland and May only has party unity because she completely gives in to the demands of the hardliners. Now party unity is a big deal so god knows what the situation would be like with the infighting but it still seems to me that May is very weak and her only strategy is to appease.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 29, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Get this foreign shite out of our classrooms now, let's get back to Anglish Worldken.

This minglingken sounds suspiciously like multiculturalism

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jBrereton posted:

jesusc hrist lol

I could imagine the nuclear industry are currently consulting lawyers, as the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017 does not confer upon the Prime Minister the power to invoke Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Unless it was their idea so they could have a shittier regulator.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

i wouldn't completely write off the lib dems just yet, we haven't even seen Tim Farrons final form

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jBrereton posted:

It is and it isn't, hope that helps.

it's not. don't make me turn into pissflaps.

using a more fuel efficient plane to fly the exact same route with same passengers doesn't result in a reduction to APD.
using the same amount or more of fuel to fly half as many passengers the same route (assume they're fatties to make up the weight) does significantly reduce the APD paid.
etc

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jBrereton posted:

Unless it was their idea so they could have a shittier regulator.
Looser regulations at home won't eliminate the need for compliance with international regulations to purchase nuclear fuel. Britain doesn't exactly have a lot of uranium mines.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNMZwYZZJOE

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Breath Ray posted:

Alien: Isolation.

Moments of binding, seething horror and fear interspersed lot of hiding away while watching humanity gently caress itself over, over and over again with greed and betrayal.

That or system shock 2 if you don't mind a bit more old school trying not to piss yourself in terror

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LemonDrizzle posted:

Looser regulations at home won't eliminate the need for compliance with international regulations to purchase nuclear fuel. Britain doesn't exactly have a lot of uranium mines.
Orkney Mainland has yellowcake, and I'm sure the UK government will take the same measured approach to local concerns as they have about fracking if for some reason the usual sources refuse to send fuel.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Anybody here who is close to any kind of news/info outlet/an EU official, who can answer me a question?

I have been hearing a lot of doom mongering about Brexit from all corners, especially from the EU, that the UK will become an economic hellscape nobody in their right mind would want anything to do with.

Fair enough. We have made our choice now, we will no doubt get on with it and make the best of the situation.

I have also been hearing, from all the euros that I work with and the national media, that there is a literal hoard of EU nationals that still want to come here despite us giving the EU the finger and about to regress into an apocalyptic pit of despair (or something, there is a lot of hyperbole about), and that the EU is threatening their worst (or even worsterer or whatever, since they were already threatening the worst if we left) if the UK won't let them in.

What gives?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Collateral posted:

Anybody here who is close to any kind of news/info outlet/an EU official, who can answer me a question?

I have been hearing a lot of doom mongering about Brexit from all corners, especially from the EU, that the UK will become an economic hellscape nobody in their right mind would want anything to do with.

Fair enough. We have made our choice now, we will no doubt get on with it and make the best of the situation.

I have also been hearing, from all the euros that I work with and the national media, that there is a literal hoard of EU nationals that still want to come here despite us giving the EU the finger and about to regress into an apocalyptic pit of despair (or something, there is a lot of hyperbole about), and that the EU is threatening their worst (or even worsterer or whatever, since they were already threatening the worst if we left) if the UK won't let them in.

What gives?

If you want to avoid hyperbole you're in the wrong thread.

The UK and the EU won't collapse. There will be compromises from both sides. Things will be worse than they should have been for many people. There will be little benefit.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Brexit

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Collateral posted:

What gives?
Everyone involved is hoping that the handful of old, egotistical white men negotiating on both sides don't gently caress everything up for millions of other people they don't know/care about, hope that helps.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

This minglingken sounds suspiciously like multiculturalism
It's Anglish for chemistry, and we all know how Theresa May feels about that.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Not liking this new relaunch of The Aristocrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Basically, the British economy is dependent on access to the single market that the European Union will not be willing to give without concessions from the United Kingdom, especially on free movement.

In particular, the European Council have explicitly said that Britain will not get "piecemeal" membership of Single Market that would keep the European financial industry in London.

https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/status/847055498188935169

TinTower fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 29, 2017

• Locked thread