Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I agree though there are exceptions. The Manager is grade A material and My Work is Not Yet Done was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
From the two descriptions in this thread Angel of the Abyss sounds a lot like John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns. If mysterious movies are your thing, I recommend checking it out.

E: And after reading the synopsis on Amazon, I guess it's not that close. I'd still recommend seeing it. It has a very Club Dumas/Foucault's Pendulum feel. Plus anything with Udo Kier is a bonus.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 5, 2017

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010

Dr. Benway posted:

From the two descriptions in this thread Angel of the Abyss sounds a lot like John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns. If mysterious movies are your thing, I recommend checking it out.

E: And after reading the synopsis on Amazon, I guess it's not that close. I'd still recommend seeing it. It has a very Club Dumas/Foucault's Pendulum feel. Plus anything with Udo Kier is a bonus.

I have seen it, and it is really good! Probably my favorite Masters of Horror episode. Yes, it definitely has a kind of occult conspiracy vibe that Club Dumas and Foucault's Pendulum have as well (I've read these, and they're favorites for sure). There's a part of it that I guess also recalls the first story in Hodge's World of Hurt (I mean angel abuse).

Anyway, yeah, the vibe and motifs of Cigarette Burns is basically what I'd like to see more of in novel form. Gemma File's Experimental Film does some good stuff along these lines, and I guess it's worth a look if anyone else is interested in this kind of thing, but I did find it to be somewhat poorly written.

Edit: just as an indicator of what a sap I am for this kind of stuff in general, I picked up a novel called The Origins of Dracula from the Kindle store because, even though it looked like it might be self published, I was completely sold by the connection to Dracula and this description:

quote:

Now John's only chance to save his son is to play the "game" his enemy has laid out for him. A game involving clues buried in literary fiction. Impossibly, these clues are planted in novels written centuries before John was even born.

Let's just say this book was pretttttttty bad...(it also helped confirm for me that there's pretty much nothing of value available through Kindle Unlimited)

julietthecat fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 5, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Storybundle have a new 'Lovecraft' dealy online with $5 and 15 tiers, anyone with more info on the books therein?

https://storybundle.com/lovecraft

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Storybundle have a new 'Lovecraft' dealy online with $5 and 15 tiers, anyone with more info on the books therein?

https://storybundle.com/lovecraft

Nick Mamatas is pretty solid; Move Under Ground gets brought up here every once in a while, it's a mix of Jack Kerouac and Lovecraft.

Radiant Dawn and Ravenous Dusk are a lot of fun in a more old-school, pulpy kind of way.

Gateways to Abomination is a good collection. I"d hesitate to call it Lovecraftian because it's more about the shenanigans a witch cult gets up to when they have their own radio station, but it's good.

I haven't read much of William Meikle's short fiction, but his novels are a ton of fun. He's one of the few writers I've encountered that can keep churning out "horrible monster attacks isolated town" and someone how keep it fresh and entertaining. I would suspect his short stories are no different.

I haven't read any of the anthologies edited by Moreno-Garcia included with this bundle, but by all accounts she's a great editor with an eye for good Lovecraftian fiction.

I'm not familiar with either Scott R. Jones or Justine Geoffrey (or at least not enough to recognize their names immediately).

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Scott R. Jones is a great editor.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ornamented Death posted:

Radiant Dawn and Ravenous Dusk are a lot of fun in a more old-school, pulpy kind of way.

I didn't get why the Lovecraft mythos had to be used for this. It seemed by and large totally removed from it, until one point in book 3, and then really it was just a Lovecraftian name tacked on. Still enjoyed them.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Ornamented Death posted:

The Ceremonies by T.E.D. Klein features a cult (or cult-like group, anyhow). I don't think this is available as an ebook, so you'll have to get a 99c paperback copy.

It's available for download. I don't know if it's for sale, but I have a digital copy.

REALTHEWILL
Jul 21, 2016
The Coffin is somewhat of a horror piece, if anyones read it they know what I mean. Its got a lot of intense scenes in it. Especially at the end when the guy in the coffin gets all of himself drained and set for a burial.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

God Of Paradise posted:

It's available for download. I don't know if it's for sale, but I have a digital copy.

Whoa, they finally made an ebook of it? Is Dark Gods next?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ravenkult posted:

Yeah I dumped that book like the trash that it is. Also the protagonist/author insert explaining how as a kid (teen?) he had some... interesting thoughts about black people but now, *gasp* he even finds this black woman attractive!
Someone sit that guy down and have him watch Mandigo, jesus christ

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Well, I've just published a new cosmic horror novel. Took me two and a half bloody years to research and write, so I've basically got no objectivity left - and reviews aren't in yet - but early feedback has been gratifyingly positive. If anyone fancies an excursion to a remote Siberian plateau where a covert FSB medical experiment might be about to go horribly wrong, I've sorted a goon discount: 50% off with code BZ24P at Smashwords. :ssh: It's also on Amazon and should be percolating through to other channels soon. Available in paperback as well, for them as prefer.

Ornamented Death posted:

Nick Mamatas is pretty solid; Move Under Ground gets brought up here every once in a while, it's a mix of Jack Kerouac and Lovecraft.

Anyone read his new one? Apparently it was a bit of an extended dig at HPL fandom (long, long overdue, if so) and got a few people's backs up. Sounded promising though. However, my favourite of his will probably always be 'Inky, Blinky, Pinky, Nyarlathotep.' Great little story, that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flopstick posted:

Well, I've just published a new cosmic horror novel. Took me two and a half bloody years to research and write, so I've basically got no objectivity left - and reviews aren't in yet - but early feedback has been gratifyingly positive. If anyone fancies an excursion to a remote Siberian plateau where a covert FSB medical experiment might be about to go horribly wrong, I've sorted a goon discount: 50% off with code BZ24P at Smashwords. :ssh: It's also on Amazon and should be percolating through to other channels soon. Available in paperback as well, for them as prefer.

Anyone read his new one? Apparently it was a bit of an extended dig at HPL fandom (long, long overdue, if so) and got a few people's backs up. Sounded promising though. However, my favourite of his will probably always be 'Inky, Blinky, Pinky, Nyarlathotep.' Great little story, that.

Ferretbrain's Arthur B didn't like it very much, and he's hardly an uncritical Lovecraft fan.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

That's not the one. I've read Nickronomicon, and I'd agree with a lot of those criticisms (it's a mixed bag, put it that way, but I'd say I enjoyed it overall.) His latest though is a novel, called I Am Providence. It's set, or at least starts, at a Lovecraft convention.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Flopstick posted:

By new one do you mean the HPL/Hunter S Thompson joint? Because I loved it. Can't imagine how people'd get upset about it, but I've always enjoyed Cthulthu (look, I'm from one of those universes where that's the correct spelling, like the Berenstain/Berenstein Bears thing only more tentacles) best as crossover. Cthulthu pulp detective, Cthulthu beatniks, they just work better for me than the staid academic tremulously losing his sanity over the idea that a giant octopus monster is going to kill us all.

*edit* I see that you do not. If anyone hasn't read The Damned Highway, they should.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Flopstick posted:

I Am Providence is really great. It's not really Lovecraftian in terms of its horror content, more drawing on Ligotti and especially My Work Is Not Yet Done. It's pretty heavily inspired by Sharyn McCrumb's Bimbos of the Death Sun (according to Mamatas, his editor requested "Bimbos of the Death Sun meets True Detective"). Someone more involved in HPL fandom could probably figure out more of the roman a clef stuff than I did (I only got S. T. Joshi).

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Relevant Tangent posted:

(look, I'm from one of those universes where that's the correct spelling, like the Berenstain/Berenstein Bears thing only more tentacles)

The universe where it's called Ktulu is the best.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Relevant Tangent posted:

By new one do you mean the HPL/Hunter S Thompson joint?

Rarely have I been so quickly sold on a book.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mdemone posted:

Rarely have I been so quickly sold on a book.

If you like HPL/Hunter S Thompson mashups, try "Ganzfeld Gate" by Cody Goodfellow in Delta Green: Extraordinary Renditions.

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Green-Extraordinary-Jeff-Carter-ebook/dp/B015AN0EFW

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The following recommendation isn't Cosmic Horror. It is financial occult detective fiction. However I really enjoyed it and it may peak some of your interests.
-----

The Black Monday Murders

All Hail God Mammon

Anyone interested in an occult take on international Finance mixed with plentiful and necessary ritual murder needs to check this out.

Similar to how From Hell weaved a supernatural mythology around the Ripper killings, The Black Monday Murders (all hail God Mammon) builds a daemonical backstory around the tragedies in the esoteric world of the Rothschilds, money and the Stock Market.

And it's host to a straight occult detective story to boot!

Have some quotes:

Grigoria Rothschild "... So... I understand you've become a teacher. I have to say I was suprised when I heard, but it seems to suit you. You look well."

Alexi "I admit. I like it more than I though I would."

GR "And how does this year's crop of future financial titans look?"

Alexi "Oh. Smart. They are smarter every year, it seems. But they are, unfortunately, a flawed generation. Children of the summer, you seen. They all believe money falls from the sky. Not that it is pulled from the Earth.

But they will learn. They always do."

---

Viktor (to classroom of new financiers) "So. You want real advice? Here it is. The first million dollars you make is self-financed. You earn it with your own blood. The cost is your own health, your family, your friends.

You pay, understand?

The most common mistake is believing that you can accrue even more by continuing this behavior. You cannot. If you're going to earn more...if you are going to earn real money-- accumulate real power-- then that is done on the backs of others.

Call them workers, call them proles, even call them slaves. I do not care. Just know, it is they who you will sacrifice for gain.

This sounds callous, I know. But you're going to learn very quickly how insignificant the rules you have lived by truly are. What we do falls outside all societal norms... This is the older pact. Man's very first trade."

All Hail God Mammon

Image Comics: https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/the-black-monday-murders-vol.-1-all-hail-god-mammon-tp

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gently caress yeah, I literally just walked out of B&N with issue 01 of the Black Monday Murders after totally walking in there with every intention of buying other things. I was goofing around in graphic novels looking for that "Damned Highway" book (which they don't have, aargh)...and I got sucked in by that one instead.

I never was into comics/graphic novels but my eyes are opening to the fact there's some really amazing stuff in the genre. Obviously I'd read Watchmen but not really gotten much further than that.

My wallet is not pleased at this development. :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Brubaker also wrote Fatale which is also very much noir meets eldritch horrors. Unlike Black Monday Murders, this one is all done and you can pick it up in a nice complete hardcover.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

mdemone posted:

gently caress yeah, I literally just walked out of B&N with issue 01 of the Black Monday Murders after totally walking in there with every intention of buying other things. I was goofing around in graphic novels looking for that "Damned Highway" book (which they don't have, aargh)...and I got sucked in by that one instead.

I never was into comics/graphic novels but my eyes are opening to the fact there's some really amazing stuff in the genre. Obviously I'd read Watchmen but not really gotten much further than that.

My wallet is not pleased at this development. :(

I had to get Damned Highway from a third party seller on Amazon. Couldn't get local stores to order a copy for whatever reason (tbf they both went out of business within the year so that was probably why) and Amazon themselves didn't have a copy.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Took a chance on a Delta Green novel from the mention of the line in this thread. Found Denied To The Enemy for 99 cents on Kindle, so I figured why not? Really enjoying it, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Deep Ones, by James Wade, 1969 posted:

"Cthulhu," Waite repeated sepulchrally, "is the demonic diety imprisoned in his citadel amidst the prehuman city of R'lyeh, sunken somewhere in mid-Pacific by the power of his enemies eons ago; asleep but dreaming forever of the day of his release, when he will resume sway over the earth. And his dreams over the centuries have created and controlled those undersea races of evil intelligence who are his servants."

"You can't mean the dolphins!" I exclaimed.

The main character, a psychic expert, arrives in California to assist in dolphin research because dolphins are actually evil minions of Cthulhu. He opines to the reader that "To some, Gothic battlements or New England backwaters represent the apex of spiritual horror and decay; for me, the neon-lit, screaming depravity of Los Angeles filled the bill" (7 highlights!), specifically calling out "predatory homosexuals". The author is careful to point out how their research is interrupted frequently by hippie beach orgies. Upon meeting his love interest he initially dismisses her stating "she missed real distinction due to the muddy coloring and rather swarthy texture of her skin, and especially the staring protuberance of her eyes." The love interest is later raped by a dolphin and escapes pregnant into the sea.

This collection was pretty good up until now!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

RentACop posted:

The main character, a psychic expert, arrives in California to assist in dolphin research because dolphins are actually evil minions of Cthulhu. He opines to the reader that "To some, Gothic battlements or New England backwaters represent the apex of spiritual horror and decay; for me, the neon-lit, screaming depravity of Los Angeles filled the bill" (7 highlights!), specifically calling out "predatory homosexuals". The author is careful to point out how their research is interrupted frequently by hippie beach orgies. Upon meeting his love interest he initially dismisses her stating "she missed real distinction due to the muddy coloring and rather swarthy texture of her skin, and especially the staring protuberance of her eyes." The love interest is later raped by a dolphin and escapes pregnant into the sea.

This sounds extremely funny, actually.

e: because of how awful it is, obviously.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 15, 2017

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If you have Kindle Unlimited, it's contained within A Mountain Walked, which is free. (The dolphins name is Flip)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

RentACop posted:

If you have Kindle Unlimited, it's contained within A Mountain Walked, which is free. (The dolphins name is Flip)

I have to wonder if Joshi just can't get the rights to anything better because he's alienated most of the really talented cosmic horror authors, or if his mind has rotted to the point where he thinks that's good...

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Ornamented Death posted:

I have to wonder if Joshi just can't get the rights to anything better because he's alienated most of the really talented cosmic horror authors, or if his mind has rotted to the point where he thinks that's good...

A Mountain Walked has been out for a while (unless there's a new version) so even if he has alienated everyone (is this actually a thing??) I'm not sure it was when it was published.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

RentACop posted:

To be fair there are worse things that can happen to you in LA.

Like commuting through the traffic.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

hopterque posted:

A Mountain Walked has been out for a while (unless there's a new version) so even if he has alienated everyone (is this actually a thing??) I'm not sure it was when it was published.

The original Centipede Press edition came out in 2014. Joshi has been slowly making everyone in the horror community hate him since, oh, 2005 or so at least.

And it's definitely a thing: Joshi has become increasingly bitter that he's not longer the primary gatekeeper for what gets popular in weird fiction (and it's highly questionable if he ever held such a position). He has a tendency to cozy up to rising newcomers, but once their own star surpasses his own, he turns on them. Or if he takes a joke the wrong way, he turns on them. Or if he just doesn't like something one of their stories/books, he turns on them.

Adding to this is Joshi's near slavish devotion to Lovecraft. It really seems that he takes any slight to Lovecraft, real or imagined, extremely personally, and will attack the person making the slight.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

RentACop posted:

It's in Chaosium's 'Innsmouth Cycle' collection as well. I remember reading it and having the same reaction as you. Here's what RMP had to say about it though:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It was inexplicably dropped.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

Brubaker also wrote Fatale which is also very much noir meets eldritch horrors. Unlike Black Monday Murders, this one is all done and you can pick it up in a nice complete hardcover.

Black Monday Murders is Hickman baka gaijin

fatale is much more noir/femme fatale than eldritch horrors, but it's still fantastic

Relevant Tangent posted:

I had to get Damned Highway from a third party seller on Amazon. Couldn't get local stores to order a copy for whatever reason (tbf they both went out of business within the year so that was probably why) and Amazon themselves didn't have a copy.

that's superweird, damned highway is available from the only comics distributor in america and its even on sale

Robot Wendigo posted:

Took a chance on a Delta Green novel from the mention of the line in this thread. Found Denied To The Enemy for 99 cents on Kindle, so I figured why not? Really enjoying it, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

all of the delta green stuff is great, the last collection of short stories is probably the best.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I bought and have been going through The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories and it's great. I'm sure this threads been over it a bunch by now but it's new to me and really cool.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

If you want something in the territory that doesn't involve extradimensional tentacular evil as a change in pace, check out Velvet. High concept: Miss Moneypenny is an agent at least as good as James Bond, but she's retired to a desk job. Hijinks ensue.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Drunkboxer posted:

I bought and have been going through The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories and it's great. I'm sure this threads been over it a bunch by now but it's new to me and really cool.

It's a great collection! It was edited by Jeff and Ann Vandermeer. If you like it check out Jeff's Annihilation trilogy.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BuckarooBanzai posted:

It's a great collection! It was edited by Jeff and Ann Vandermeer. If you like it check out Jeff's Annihilation trilogy.

I'll definitely consider it, especially if I like the one story of his in the collection. Might be a while before I get to it because I'm reading this straight through, and it's literally about as long as the Bible.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How is Swift To Chase overall? I'm most of the way through the second story and it hasn't hooked me at all yet. I think it's in large part because Jess Mace doesn't feel like a well-written character, so much as Barron feeling like he needed a through line and started writing in first person. She just seems like such a silly caricature so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That's on par for Barron imo.