Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ehud posted:

I started lifting to combat depression and now I just want to be powerful

Probably why I'll start it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
If you are depressed Cardio is better for you. I think. I read one of those "phds explain the tldr of their dissertation" blogs and saw a dissertation with cool references. It was something to the effect of "The chemicals that Doctors said make you happy when do cardio, do in fact make you happy".

I think my favorite one of those was "These rocks that are currently here in Massachusetts were also here 500 million years ago". Can you imagine spending 4+ years of your life on that lmao

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Otoh being strong and loving women will also make you happy. Do whatever is best for you, Probably Magic, but always remember that you are worthy of life and people love you. Depression isn't a joke and there are good resources out there to help.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Insomnia leads to a lot of bad television watching and many discoveries. For instance did you know that Rodney Peete is now pitching Lipozene diet pills? The commercial also for some reason incorrectly says his NFL career lasted for 17 years.

Also Nazis were real bad and not at all cool if you were for some reason on the fence.

Also someone please kill me.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 29, 2017

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I'm almost done with my cardio cycle and am about to start lifting again for the first time in uh.... a long time. My knee makes some godawful noises when I do squats so we'll see how that goes.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

Insomnia leads to a lot of bad television watching and many discoveries. For instance did you know that Rodney Peete is now pitching Lipozene diet pills? The commercial also for some reason incorrectly says his NFL career lasted for 17 years.

Also Nazis were real bad and not at all cool if you were for some reason on the fence.

Also someone please kill me.

same

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Big Jesus posted:

I'm almost done with my cardio cycle and am about to start lifting again for the first time in uh.... a long time. My knee makes some godawful noises when I do squats so we'll see how that goes.

Use less weight and work on your mechanics

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Cardio is def a good way to help depression / get over a bad break up.

Just hit that treadmill and keep going.

And it's healthy for you! :dance:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm running an 8K on Sunday

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Running sucks

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I've had to switch to biking cause I've got shin splints, which are the worst. I think I need new running shoes?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah man.

I think the biggest thing in all things psychically related shoes are number one.

Have some good fitness shoes. Take care of the feet men.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Big Jesus posted:

I've had to switch to biking cause I've got shin splints, which are the worst. I think I need new running shoes?

I've had terrible shin splints for the last 14 years, and I loathed running. What worked for me was good shoes, paying attention to my form, and resting adequately between runs. Good luck! gently caress runnin'.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I don't run from nothing

Exercise bike is the way to go

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I like to skip rope because it makes me tired more quickly than running and requires less stuff (good weather or a treadmill)

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I'm going to have to cool it on running for a while and switch to exercise bike. I tweaked one Achilles at the beginning of the last marathon and it hasn't been the same since. It's going to be annoying not being able to run while it's still relatively cool outside.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I begrudgingly ran twice a week before switching to what I do now and I loving hated it.

Now that I don't force myself to pointlessly run I enjoy exercise immensely.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I agree w/ you friend

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Spoeank posted:

I begrudgingly ran twice a week before switching to what I do now and I loving hated it.

Now that I don't force myself to pointlessly run I enjoy exercise immensely.

Ehud posted:

I agree w/ you friend

It's the worst. I mentioned in this thread a couple weeks ago how it makes me feel physically ill after long runs, it is boring as gently caress, it destroys any kind of muscle mass you are trying to build and seriously it loving sucks! I mean, I know there are people in the world who genuinely love to run and it is soothing to them to put the buds in and run for 2 hours. Those people are nuts.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol. Are you serious?

You are basically saying fitness is bad in that post...

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah, physical activity definitely helps get you out of depression, there's no question.

But we all die and we all die alone

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I hate running with a passion. I love to play sports, but I can't just "go for a run". Even with music or podcasts I get so bored and all I can think of is that I would rather being anything else.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My new gym only makes me run a max of 1600m at once and I appreciate that

Yesterday I only had to do 400m runs!!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is like someone saying: I hate any physical activity and I'd rather sit around and eat and play video games all day.

That's not heathy.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

A Man and his dog posted:

This is like someone saying: I hate any physical activity and I'd rather sit around and eat and play video games all day.

That's not heathy.

no one said that

There are lots of ways to be healthy and get cardio without running

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Lol. Are you serious?

You are basically saying fitness is bad in that post...

The gently caress are you talking about? I workout 6x a week and adhere to a strict diet 6x a week (Sunday cheat day) so no...I am not saying fitness is bad.

I'm saying running is stupid and bad. Because running is stupid and bad.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Guys he's like 6 beers deep cut him some slack

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

I'm sure he is running home from the bar as we speak!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Amy Pole Her posted:

How dare you!

Ok I did drink a a full 6 pack this morning.

gently caress! :smugdon:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Running is awesome when you change from distance to sprint training. Do a couple warmup laps at the track, some HIIT splits, and you're good to go.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
herca hercalez!

herca hercalez!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

How dare you!

Ok I did drink a a full 6 pack this morning.

gently caress! :smugdon:

Lmao

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My main form of exercise is playing flag football with a group of ragtag guys on weekends. We're terrible, but usually manage to squeak out a win or two in a season, and we have fun while doing it :unsmith: We started this season off with a 33-0 win.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

seiferguy posted:

My main form of exercise is playing flag football with a group of ragtag guys on weekends. We're terrible, but usually manage to squeak out a win or two in a season, and we have fun while doing it :unsmith: We started this season off with a 33-0 win.

I nominate Guy That Takes Flag Football Way Too Seriously as one of the worst people on earth

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
literally all I want in life is a group of ragtag guys to play volleyball, tennis and basketball (the golden trio of fun sports to play) with, I have basketball friends but they aren't ragtag enough, everyone is better than me

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

a neat cape posted:

I nominate Guy That Takes <Insert Co-ed Recreational Sport> Way Too Seriously as one of the worst people on earth

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

literally all I want in life is a group of ragtag guys to play volleyball, tennis and basketball (the golden trio of fun sports to play) with, I have basketball friends but they aren't ragtag enough, everyone is better than me

I nominate myself as tribute...

Except for tennis. Can we replace tennis with like softball?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

a neat cape posted:

I nominate Guy That Takes Flag Football Way Too Seriously as one of the worst people on earth

Literally any sport too seriously guy is the worst. Some dude came to a pick up basketball game wearing a shooting sleeve once and people couldn't stop laughing at him.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Tennis rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
must be ragtag.. need to see the Wrangler label on your jeans and you can come play

• Locked thread