Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Vahakyla posted:

No mot necessarily, but big continents and small continents and isthmuses and gulfs. Not replica of the current earth. Just not two islands, or bazillion small islands.

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah I would love a map type like this too.

They've had map algorithms like this occasionally over the years (can't remember the names but I recall them existing in III, IV and V at various points) but it is perplexingly rare for something that seems like such an obvious desire.

No, I don't want a straight New/Old World analogue, I want there to be more than 2 continental groups. No, I don't just want a shitton of islands, unless I'm playing the Vikings or England and the game rules support coastal cities well (boy I miss SMAC sometimes). Even the "how about...a smaller number of larger islands???" maps aren't quite the same thing, though they're close. "Fractal" is sometimes good and sometimes just bizarre.

EDIT: boy I hope the new forums software has a big flashing "PLEASE NOTE YOUR POST MAY APPEAR ON THE NEXT PAGE" sign, jfc

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I've also wished for such a map. I'd especially like a map with a couple of continents and some island chains. I don't like having to choose between them. I want to be an island civ that grows to take over the mainland.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Nice patch. Looks like England is back to being a powerhouse.

Time to dust off the game and rule the waves once more.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

Nice patch. Looks like England is back to being a powerhouse.

Time to dust off the game and rule the waves once more.

That's going to be pretty easy because the AI still won't build any ships.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

That's how I'm going to rule the waves.

No ETA on the patch?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

John F Bennett posted:

That's how I'm going to rule the waves.

No ETA on the patch?

As it says, "This week to PC and coming soon for Mac and Linux". Might be today for all we know.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Ah, it's out.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TipTow posted:

Those harbor changes are great, holy poo poo.

Cities built on or near coastal tiles being significantly suboptimal seemed really weird.

I think Firaxis finally got it after like three or five different mods aiming at improving coastal yields implemented "extra gold if adjacent to the city center".

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

John F Bennett posted:

Ah, it's out.

Jeezus Christ Firaxis, what's with these rapid updates? Not that I'm upset, it's just...uncharacteristic.

I'm used to waiting 6-9 months for patch notes, then another week at least for the actual patch to drop.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fired this up, and wow the game does not hesitate to paint Cyrus as a bastard. When you meet him he talks about being friends "for now", and this is his opening narration from Sean Bean:

quote:

Claim the crown, Cyrus, King of Persia, for you are the anointed one. With immortal soldiers, and an unwavering faith, you will conquer and rule the peoples of the world. You may see many alliances forming around you, but do not be fooled - such is an antiquated and weak way of navigating the world. Make no promise unless it aids you in achieving your goals.

Alexander's sounds less negative even as it also emphasizes that he is all about war and doing nothing but war.

Anyway, we now have some concrete details for how they both work. Satrapies gives Persian internal trade routes +2 gold and +1 culture and their roads are better, while Hellenistic Fusion gives Macedon a Eureka bonus for every Encampment or Campus in a conquered city and an Inspiration boost for each Theater Square or Holy Site. Interestingly, the "heal all military units when conquering a city with a wonder" bit comes from Alexander's ability, not Hellenistic Fusion, not that it matters since he's their only leader.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

+1 culture for Internal Trade Routes is huge, considering that's typically the only kind of trade route I run and build a Commercial Hub or Harbor in every city.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh, hey, minor detail that the patch added. There's now a little star icon on the card for techs and civs when there's a random modifier attached to it. So stuff like getting extra food from adjacent farms with Fuedalism and such is now actually visibly noted on the cards instead of making you mouse over them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh hey, Fall Of Babylon has another bonus that hasn't been mentioned: Cyrus doesn't get yield penalties in occupied cities. Also, his movement boost lasts the first ten turns after declaring a surprise war, not just the first like people were thinking. And surprise wars only count as formal wars for both warmongering and war weariness penalties.

Alexander's unique building replaces the barracks, meanwhile, so you'll probably be building them over stables most of the time since those are mutually exclusive. They do provide the barracks boost to his unique horsemen as well as infantry, though, so that's neat.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Alkydere posted:

I'm used to waiting 6-9 months for patch notes, then another week at least for the actual patch to drop.

Just start using Linux and you'll get that experience back! :v:

:suicide:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

So I assume PBEM is again not working until the Mac and Linux people get their patch. :(

I'm thinking of starting a new, PC-only PBEM game. Sorry to discriminate against Mac users but I'd like to have one game which will run a bit faster. Would there be enough people interested?

:siren:Looking for PBEM players:siren:

This time PC only, sorry. If you're interested, reply and say which DLCs you have. And whether you're willing to get any more, and if yes, which ones. I'll create the game depending on the number of players and the DLCs they have.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Immortals replace swordsmen, but behave like ranged. Thus, they cannot capture cities.

This would have been helpful to know.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

My pantheon culture bonus on a pasture disappeared permanently after it was pillaged and repaired, was that already a thing?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stealth update? Workers no longer consume a charge to repair?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Jastiger posted:

Stealth update? Workers no longer consume a charge to repair?

They never did.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mystic_Shadow posted:

They never did.

Well sheeeeit lol.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They never did. The repair icon was in the unit action bar, not the tile improvements box, and apparently some people missed it and thought they had to destroy+replace damaged improvements, but the repair action itself has always been free.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

markus_cz posted:

So I assume PBEM is again not working until the Mac and Linux people get their patch. :(

I'm thinking of starting a new, PC-only PBEM game. Sorry to discriminate against Mac users but I'd like to have one game which will run a bit faster. Would there be enough people interested?

This time PC only, sorry. If you're interested, reply and say which DLCs you have. And whether you're willing to get any more, and if yes, which ones. I'll create the game depending on the number of players and the DLCs they have.

I'm in, PC and all DLC so far. Looking forward to playing more drat turns.

Also, your avatar reminds me I'm also looking forward to PST:EE and finally finishing that weird rear end game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

markus_cz posted:

Same as above, I have it on PC and as I have the Digital Deluxe edition I have everything.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Are there any ways to ban a certain civ from appearing in a single player game with random leaders?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
No, not without mods. There is an option that lets you remove the unwanted civ after the game actually starts.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

markus_cz posted:

I'm up for it. I don't have any other than Aztecs and Poland right now, but I might get more if needed.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Haven't really played since last year, gave it a whirl just to see how the patch worked out.

Goddamn I forgot how AI religious victory can just catch you sleeping when you're in x turns to win space race mode.

As far as fighting goes if there was any improvement in the AI it wasn't enough to make it what I would call good. They still just all decide to throw themselves at you and die in waves and then decide you're a warmonger for it.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

:siren:Recruiting players for a spring goon PBEM game:siren:

PC only. Once again sorry to Mac and Linux people, I just want to have at least one game that doesn't stop every time a patch comes out. (grumble grumble)

So far we have these players:
- Me (only the Aztecs DLC but willing to buy more)
- Ulvino (all DLC)
- Roland Jones (all DLC)
- Byzantine (has the Aztecs and Poland but willing to buy more)

So far I'm thinking about running this with Aztecs, Poland and probably one more DLC. (Australia? Or the new double one?)

We still have two slots open. I'm going to wait one more day. If noone else joins, I guess we can play a tiny map in four people.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 29, 2017

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

markus_cz posted:

:siren:Recruiting players for a spring goon PBEM game:siren:

PC only. Once again sorry to Mac and Linux people, I just want to have at least one game that doesn't stop every time a patch comes out. (grumble grumble)

So far we have these players:
- Me (only the Aztecs DLC but willing to buy more)
- Ulvino (all DLC)
- Roland Jones (all DLC)
- Byzantine (has the Aztecs and Poland but willing to buy more)

So far I'm thinking about running this with Aztecs, Poland and probably one more DLC. (Australia? Or the new double one?)

We still have two slots open. I'm going to wait one more day. If noone else joins, I guess we can play a tiny map in four people.

I'm interested, but am curious about expected turnaround time. What is the acceptable maximum time between your turn coming up and completing it? Only ask as I work full time, am in school, and have an infant. I still manage to squeeze an hour or so on average a night in and would love to try playing against humans, but don't want to cramp anyone's style.

I have Aztecs and the new Macedon/Persia DLC, but am thinking about just getting everything anyway. I hate paying for DLC just for new city-states etc. and not the core content (Vikings scenario), but I guess them's the breaks.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

TipTow posted:

I'm interested, but am curious about expected turnaround time. What is the acceptable maximum time between your turn coming up and completing it? Only ask as I work full time, am in school, and have an infant. I still manage to squeeze an hour or so on average a night in and would love to try playing against humans, but don't want to cramp anyone's style.

Expected turnaround is about 1 turn per day. It's good to get more done but it's rare (usually it happens only during weekends when everyone's available... but that's uncommon). Sometimes the game stops for a weekend while people are away. I think most people are full-time workers so that's fine. But It would be best if you could play both in the mornings and in the evenings. Before you go to work and/or after you get back. Realistically, only one of these cases will happen per day but it's nice to have the added flexibility. For example, if a person could only play during a single two-hour window per day, that could slow the game quite a bit. That said, sometimes people take 1 hour to play their turn, sometimes it takes them 12 hours. It's OK, it averages out.

Are you from the US? I'm from Europe and my experience so far has been that I play my turns the first thing in the morning, then nothing happens for a long time and then, during my evening or night, the Americans will play their turns. I think that mostly translates into afternoon/evening turns for the Americans and morning turns for the Europeans.

I could probably ask you all about your time zones and preferred hours for playing and then arrange the player order accordingly. Let's do that. Can anyone please edit their time zones and preferred times into their posts?

I'm CET and I can my times are pretty random but I'm usually available for the large part of the day. Which means I'm available about 8:00-23:00 UTC.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 29, 2017

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Is there room in the PC game? The other ones seem to have exploded. Though I will not be able to start reasonably doing turns until 4/9 (going on a work trip on 4/3), so if that's an issue I'm fine with sitting for this one.

I bought the deluxe edition so I got whatever came with that.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 29, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Krazyface posted:

There is an option that lets you remove the unwanted civ after the game actually starts.
Declaring war? :v:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

If only getting one turn a day in is cool, I'll sign up. Have all the DLC, but haven't touched the game since any of them came out.

EDIT: pm'd you my email and EDT US of A

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 29, 2017

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

markus_cz posted:

Expected turnaround is about 1 turn per day. It's good to get more done but it's rare (usually it happens only during weekends when everyone's available... but that's uncommon). Sometimes the game stops for a weekend while people are away. I think most people are full-time workers so that's fine. But It would be best if you could play both in the mornings and in the evenings. Before you go to work and/or after you get back. Realistically, only one of these cases will happen per day but it's nice to have the added flexibility. For example, if a person could only play during a single two-hour window per day, that could slow the game quite a bit. That said, sometimes people take 1 hour to play their turn, sometimes it takes them 12 hours. It's OK, it averages out.

Are you from the US? I'm from Europe and my experience so far has been that I play my turns the first thing in the morning, then nothing happens for a long time and then, during my evening or night, the Americans will play their turns. I think that mostly translates into afternoon/evening turns for the Americans and morning turns for the Europeans.

I could probably ask you all about your time zones and preferred hours for playing and then arrange the player order accordingly. Let's do that. Can anyone please edit their time zones and preferred times into their posts?

I'm CET and I can my times are pretty random but I'm usually available for the large part of the day. Which means I'm available about 8:00-23:00 UTC.

Sounds great. I could do a morning and an evening turn most days, for sure.

I am central time in the U.S.

I will get all DLC after school tonight.

How do I get signed up/contacted for this?

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 29, 2017

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Central time, USA.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

we've taken 29 turns total since January 22 in the 2st PBEM game, averaging half a turn a day

every time they patch it fucks up PYDT, which explains the delay. the other game, though, hasn't had a turn taken in over 304 hours

PBEM sucks guys

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Efexeye posted:

we've taken 29 turns total since January 22 in the 2st PBEM game, averaging half a turn a day

Yeah but that's because we've spent several weeks waiting for the patch to come out for Mac. Which is why I'd like to have one PC-only game.
And we also had a week trying to find a replacement for a player who dropped out.

But certainly, if you're going into PBEM you need to go with the expectation that the game could take a year to finish. (It's 200 turns so if everything works out, it should be a bit faster.)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it takes longer to download the file, launch the game, open the game, then save and re-upload the file than it does to take a turn

you know those first 20-30 turns where you're hammering spacebar because you're building something that takes a while and exploring? how you just go through them as quick as you can? now you get to hit spacebar every other day :)

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I can't say you're wrong, Efexeye. :) Altough it's getting more exciting now. There's even a war going on, I think.
(EDIT: By thay I'm saying I've been enjoying the slow pace.)

Players for the Spring Goon Game:
- Me (only the Aztecs DLC but willing to buy more) - Central Europe
- Ulvino (all DLC) - Central USA Time, I think
- Roland Jones (all DLC) - ??? time zone ???
- Byzantine (has the Aztecs and Poland but willing to buy more) - Central USA Time
- Dragongem (all DLC) - ??? time zone ???
- TipTow (??? which DLCs ???) - Central USA Time
- Wacky Delly (all DLC) - Eastern Time

We're full. Please edit the missing info into your posts, I don't want to spam this thread. I'll start the game later today. We're seven players, I expected six but that's fine. At least it won't hurt the game that much if someone drops out. I'm going to cram all of us into a small map intended for 6 players. More fun that way.

Depending on your time zones, I might try to optimize turn order which would require you to join the game in specific order. But if you're all in the Americas, I don't think it matters much.
markus_cz hosed around with this message at Mar 29, 2017 around 18:34

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really dislike civs that have just ancient era units. By the time you can get a war machine going they are obselete. Started as Alexander and by the time i could get enough units over to challenge Brazil, he was 1 shotting my dudes with cavalry and poo poo. Bleh how frustrating.

Also this last DLC is the last free one for deluxe, right?