Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

smokeandmirrors.avi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn-DiKQiDMY

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
I'm the bad-ice.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

That sounds kind of funny then. I could get behind a comedy sketch about cars. Though I'm also not entirely sure how it'd go, but judging from British humor it'd be kind of funny but not quite hit the mark. Not to say that there haven't been absolutely genius funny British stuff, it's not usually centered around making cars funny. But thank you for the explanation, I appreciate it! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
"We're getting disturbing reports from the Rim Worlds! It seems like Mr. Badman Mcnasty is up to his old tricks again, and he is apparently manufacturing some sort of...

*dramatically removes glasses*

"Worse-Ice."

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Ice-TEN

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
In the 4th stimpire they chill your blood with the worst kind of ice.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
You want a good game, but you need the bad-ice.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuK-zT-EJAo

So fun, much fidelitous.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Looking forward to Friday.

You know, this is actually a cool idea. If it were applied to, say, Blizzard or Activision and not the idiot roberts.

necroid
May 14, 2009

I never knew about this guy and I've only seen two bits including this one but he always cracks me up, how popular is he in the uk?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

necroid posted:

I never knew about this guy and I've only seen two bits including this one but he always cracks me up, how popular is he in the uk?

Definitely on the high end of "alternative" popular, had a recent 3 season run of standup shows on BBC2 and sells out pretty decent sized venues, but a bit too divisive/"edgy" to be appealing to a general audience so doesn't tend to appear on panel shows or perform on mainstream mixed performer shows on BBC1.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Star Citizen : The gift that keeps on giving (unless you were expecting a game)

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Really looking forward to more alien linguistics. It will only improve the stellar lore. Imagine a space turtle mad because you hired then to do work below industry averages! The AI has been layered into so many pipelines!

Can't wait to see you all in the verse!!!

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/61sh5f/hey_guys_so_after_all_the_missed_deadlines_and/dfjw3pf/?context=3

quote:

Level of detail: GTA5 will be NOWHERE near SC if they hold op to the planned (and worked on segments) GTA5 is rather shallow (if you played it) They fricking invented a language to star citizen... Some people already talk and write it... Have you even seen the size and complexity of some of the even smaller ships? You must be trolling!

what, how

Is this one of you, it's gotta be

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thirsty Dog posted:

Bad-ice

Wow
These Xi'an guys sound worse than black ice.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

necroid posted:

that is one of the most technical pieces of comedy laid out in funny bits.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

necroid posted:

He's even funnier when you realise his name rhymes with Poo-Fart-Wee.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen: The Return of Betsy Big Tits

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Thoatse posted:

speculum enterprise

Chris Roberts named his chat program after his ISP. Haha.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
One of my guildmates in Wow said he was excited about the new patch in Star Citizen last week and that we should check it out. (2.6.2 really dude?)

I didn't want to tell him I'm a goon (wayyy too nerdy I have a rep to maintain) but I casually said it sounded like a scam to me and he shut up.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

X-Ultron posted:

Chris Roberts named his chat program after his ISP. Haha.

He also named his bad guys after a bunch of kids who spray-painted a giant squirting cock on his garage door.

At least that's my inner narrative.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I think ill link him one of Dereks blogs and just say how concerned I am about the project after googling it like he said too.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This sums up Star Citizen really well.
The thing people don't understand if they haven't spent any great amount of time playing this thing is that literally every single aspect of the game is either buggy / broken or done poorly. This reveals itself to you slowly over time. The video I quoted for example, that part of the game has been there for years now, it isn't some new addition with teething problems. There is not one single aspect of the game that I can look at and say 'yup that works well' - you might think there is but after you've seen any area of the game more than say 5 times, well, it breaks.

It's hard to put into words just how consistently poo poo the game is, you really have to experience it. Things like doors are just on another level of broken, because they are things that are supposed to do something. Like ladders, anything that is meant to be something you interact with is broken.

If I had to put together a list of things that are working well, time after time I couldn't - and that's without any hyperbole or exaggeration. Everything is hosed. I love it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

2.6.2c released.

Apparently a 20GB patch.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

It's perfectly sound imo - by mathematical induction, if you test it once and it works, test it another time and that means it's fine and working and there are no problems

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

HairyManling posted:

I don't even understand what's happening anymore. Spectrum isn't a small company. I think it's basically Time/Warner bought and rebranded. It's one of the top five cable companies in the US if I'm not mistaken. And this was an advertisement for Spectrum, not CiG. How the hell has Croberts weaseled his way into being an endorsement for such a large company. It boggles my loving mind.

We're in the target market (Brighthouse) so we get to see the ads regularly. I suspect a contra was made for the use of the word 'Spectrum'.

It's Charter Communications. They tried to hide it, then finally said gently caress it, mainly because their gambit to get a bunch of channels for the 'small cable provider price' backfired when ElRey/Univision just cut them off and got people to phone in. Need my Lucha Underground. Still missing Nasa TV and SciHD because Charter are arseholes.

The Titanic posted:

Well, friend, how many 3D modelers do you think have the knowledge to build a patcher even with a tutorial to follow? Because outside of 3D modeling, CIG is running a bit scarce on actual programming talent.

They shouldn't be, unless turnover is making it hard to hire.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

:flaccid:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

This sums up Star Citizen really well.
The thing people don't understand if they haven't spent any great amount of time playing this thing is that literally every single aspect of the game is either buggy / broken or done poorly. This reveals itself to you slowly over time. The video I quoted for example, that part of the game has been there for years now, it isn't some new addition with teething problems. There is not one single aspect of the game that I can look at and say 'yup that works well' - you might think there is but after you've seen any area of the game more than say 5 times, well, it breaks.

It's hard to put into words just how consistently poo poo the game is, you really have to experience it. Things like doors are just on another level of broken, because they are things that are supposed to do something. Like ladders, anything that is meant to be something you interact with is broken.

If I had to put together a list of things that are working well, time after time I couldn't - and that's without any hyperbole or exaggeration. Everything is hosed. I love it.

The bit I like best about Star Citizen is how poorly thought through everything is. They change the scale of the ships slightly, presumably as an easy fudge to increase speed/change handling and suddenly the ship HUD viewed in 3rd person extends outside the cockpit for numerous ships.

Even going back to the very basic function of flying a ship, your avatar gets dumped into a remote part of distant space, the same place new items get spawned before teleporting to their correct locations. While dropping the avatar you become the ship. This is the worst type of fudge possible as you now need to create yet another new item, a copy of the ship with a recreation of the original avatar visibly seated.

So think that through, you have all the animations for boarding a ship, opening doors, wearing clothing, using weapons (weapons also have a fudged attachment system), then you also need copies of all possible clothed avatars sitting in the seat of every ship. Now they'll probably use some sort of clothing attachment system for that too, odd it doesn't seem to gently caress up and spawn jackets in space. But anyway, I assume all that is why there's no female avatar yet, the amount of work involved in making sure the female avatar can reach all the pilot controls, then the clothing options, then the weapons, then the weapon attachment system, then in the end she becomes the ship anyway.

It's just crazy.

But the best bit about it all is that it's now impossible for anyone who actually still hoped for a good game to point out to CIG that making the player become the ship is as dumb as hell. You'd be immediately dismissed as a "naysayer" out to harm the game. I've not even seen anyone try to tell them the very basic foundation element of this space combat. 3rd person space game is a dumb idea.

AP fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 29, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

It's just crazy.

It really is. It's sort of easy to forget this stuff but it's really important. Nothing in the game feels cohesive, I've never really felt like X affects Y because then Z happens. It's just DLC crammed into a shoddy game world. When citizens talk about how SC is the most ambitious thing, or start waffling about what's to come and how it will be amazing I wonder if they are even playing the game at all. You can't seriously say on redit that Star Citizen will be better than GTA 5 and then log into Port Oloisisararrar and clip through your Mustang.

AP posted:

But the best bit about it all is that it's now impossible for anyone who actually still hoped for a good game to point out to CIG that making the player become the ship is as dumb as hell. You'd be immediately dismissed as a "naysayer" out to harm the game. I've not even seen anyone try to tell them the very basic foundation element of this space combat. 3rd person space game is a dumb idea.

Yes, it's stuff like this that is exactly my point, very fundamental, early design decisions that are so poo poo that everything stacked on top of them breaks.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 29, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Wait actually, the best bit is that they managed to break water in the CryEngine. As they needed to fake gravity with it, that's my favourite short term, guaranteed to come back and haunt you, dumb fudge.

Water, naw, we'll never need that.

The reason mirrored poo poo turns up in the hangars years after the hangars first came out, is that nobody cares. The two releases of the hangars were part of sales and revisiting something to actually fix something minor has no sale value.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AP posted:

The bit I like best about Star Citizen is how poorly thought through everything is. They change the scale of the ships slightly, presumably as an easy fudge to increase speed/change handling and suddenly the ship HUD viewed in 3rd person extends outside the cockpit for numerous ships.

Even going back to the very basic function of flying a ship, your avatar gets dumped into a remote part of distant space, the same place new items get spawned before teleporting to their correct locations. While dropping the avatar you become the ship. This is the worst type of fudge possible as you now need to create yet another new item, a copy of the ship with a recreation of the original avatar visibly seated.

So think that through, you have all the animations for boarding a ship, opening doors, wearing clothing, using weapons (weapons also have a fudged attachment system), then you also need copies of all possible clothed avatars sitting in the seat of every ship. Now they'll probably use some sort of clothing attachment system for that too, odd it doesn't seem to gently caress up and spawn jackets in space. But anyway, I assume all that is why there's no female avatar yet, the amount of work involved in making sure the female avatar can reach all the pilot controls, then the clothing options, then the weapons, then the weapon attachment system, then in the end she becomes the ship anyway.

It's just crazy.

All this in addition to the fact that many backers have alluded to the belief that there is some secret behind the scenes cadre of industry professionals who are creating the real tech that will make all these dreams possible. That the reason these technologies haven't been invented yet is because nobody had the money, vision, or balls. Chris Roberts only has one of those three things. Yet, Chris "Thank You For Playing Wing Commander" Roberts will somehow be the man who makes all this new tech? And backers believe this. It's loving amazing. All this despite the fact that the build they're publicly showing is some of the worst poo poo to ever be released on any system in the history of gaming. So really the only two possibilities are:

1) This is the best they can manage, and they'll continue to try to massage it into shape, making it worse with each passing patch
2) There is a super-secret build that fixes everything

Here's the rub, though - if it's #2, why show this completely broken crap? Wouldn't they get far more money if they showed something that wasn't steaming poo poo for once?

Their "lore" is complete tripe, their art is generic execrable garbage, the animations and flow of "gameplay" is inexpertly crafted, jittery poo poo - they literally have nowhere to go but up. The promise of "3.0" changing everything isn't completely without precedent in computer gaming, so I wouldn't ordinarily dismiss it out of hand.

Except this is Chris Roberts we're talking about. Merriam-Webster needs to make a new word for ineptitude to capture the magnitude of his inability. Chris can take a winning lottery ticket and turn it into airborne ebola in seconds. With him steering the project, crashing is the sickening and heartbreaking truth we're here to witness.

Speaking of Chris steering the project: Star Citizen: Thumb-Drive

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

seriously though, how are they making $25k a day?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Has anyone said I'm glad of it in a few pages ?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

starkebn posted:

seriously though, how are they making $25k a day?

Interest from the 140 million. Crobberts is very smart with his your money !

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

As if by magic, there was probably another $15K Completionist sale today due to the hourly tracker being over $16K.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

Has anyone said I'm glad of it in a few pages ?

No. And I'm glad of it.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

Once again Kayak saves someone from awkward conversation by being a good boy. Works in thread and real life.

What you don't seem to understand is that thread IS life.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

D_Smart posted:

As if by magic, there was probably another $15K Completionist sale today due to the hourly tracker being over $16K.

do the 15k spikes show up on the official RSI fund tracker or just the google doc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

quote:

Q: With the amount of Lore brought out by CIG and Chris Roberts' desire to create a very immersive gambling experience, will there be books, short stories, series, or movies in the Star Citizen Universe?
Ben: Fingers crossed, Yes! Of course, you want all these things to become a reality, but first let the game finish completely. After that, you can do all these extra things. A novel will definitely be there!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zEvxffnij8

lol. I guess they already pre-sold some novella. The rest of the video is boring and dumb unless you enjoy Ben and Lando mumbling to each other.