Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Only thing I have against Liam is that it's inconvenient to charge into clouds of black smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I can't follow smart advice and did every Additional Task on Eos, all those ones where you have to find x things but they don't have a map marker for them. It honestly wasn't too bad and I didn't really have to go out of my way much. Then I tried to do the same on Voeld and holy moly. I've got 3 of them (done everything else on the planet) and I just can't find their poo poo anywhere. It's the one where you have to find kett devices at remnant locations, and 2 other similar ones. I guess I should finally stop being so OCD about it and just stop doing that poo poo.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Last night I finally finished the scan 50 planets quest and the reward was... either xp or skill points, not sure. I'm never scanning another planet again. :argh:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

And now he's trying to stop the geth.

"Headline: Billionaire Who Will Probably Still Be Alive When the Polar Ice Caps Melt Thinks Video Game Monsters are Greatest Threat to Humanity."

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Svanja posted:

Engineer unknown talent question: Has anyone used the Remnant VI that Peebee gives you? Is it worth checking out?

I like it a lot. It's not hindered by ground like your other buddies and at full buildup it has energy rockets. As Engineer/Infiltrator it well replaces the ME 2/3 drone.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
My Ryder just extrajudicially executed a bunch of dudes for hunting spacewhales. I'm not sure what kind of legal precedent this sets for the office of the Pathfinder, but...Probably not good.

Incidentally, I'm at 95% viability on the frozen planet even though there looks to be a huge Kett base inside a mountain that I can't figure out how to access. Maybe they're not a big deal or something?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
If it's the one I am thinking of, there's a quest to do that one in one of the Angaran outposts between it and the resistance headquarters.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

"Headline: Billionaire Who Will Probably Still Be Alive When the Polar Ice Caps Melt Thinks Video Game Monsters are Greatest Threat to Humanity."

Speaking of politics.

Theres no politic agenda in MEA. Like... you can clearly see how Bioshock was poking fun at Ayn Rand. MEA is naive, like a group of european settlers in virginia in a Terrence Malick movie.

The game have no message, politic of any other type. Is a missed opportunity.

They could have added a plot where we find per-recorded messages from TIM where he planned everything has a backup plan for humanity, or something.

\/ \/ \/

exquisite tea posted:

Someone should record him playing Horizon Zero Dawn next for his reaction during the Ted Faro scenes.

"Youtube.com: Industry mogul react to extinction of life on earth".

\/ \/ \/

DancingShade posted:

I never finished frozen planet even though I dropped a colony on it because my "rescue the prisoners" mission bugged out so I just completed that quest chain on the jungle planet instead as a workaround to progress the main quest.

Figured the shielded base in the mountain was locked behind that mission so I just shrugged and moved on.

I don't think so. The shielded base I think is a standalone thing that unlock after a stupid quest in the main enemy base.
The shield base protect one of these binary "hard choices", so you are missing something.

Can't give you more info/better info, because I am a idiot.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 29, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Halloween Jack posted:

Someone should record him playing Horizon Zero Dawn next for his reaction during the Ted Faro scenes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I never finished frozen planet even though I dropped a colony on it because my "rescue the prisoners" mission bugged out so I just completed the main quest chain on the jungle planet instead as a workaround to progress.

Figured the shielded base in the mountain was locked behind that mission so I just shrugged and moved on.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

DancingShade posted:

I never finished frozen planet even though I dropped a colony on it because my "rescue the prisoners" mission bugged out so I just completed the main quest chain on the jungle planet instead as a workaround to progress.

I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure the fortress is technically a sidequest you get from an NPC in I think the outpost that starts with a T. Something about the shield and encryption codes. There's not really any major named/story stuff. It's basically just "Are you a bad enough Pathfinder to take on an entire fortress of Kett and blow up all their stuff?"

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Apparently ME:A supports nVidia Ansel, it's pretty cool :3:

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

That's too bad, I thought taking out that shielded kett base on Voeld was a lot of fun. Way better than taking out the big kett base on Eos for me, where I died over and over and it had the worst checkpointing known to man.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Don't see any need for a second playthrough. Conversational tone aside I don't think any of the choices would make the slightest difference in a sequel but if they did all hail the Krogan ambassador.

I also just finished the game after ignoring everything relating to it since release and I have sort of the opposite opinion, I feel like a lot of the choices I made don't matter unless there is a sequel. Particularly stuff like what happened on Kadara and Elaaden.

My other thoughts: despite the jetpack and slick feel of the combat, overall I don't like it as much as ME3's. No tactical pause, only three hotbar skills, and not being able to order squadmates to use powers were things I was hoping wouldn't bother me but they did. I really wish all three of those things were different, because it'd be pretty neat if so. Also fighting the Ascendants on Hardcore+ gets pretty repetitive, they're massive HP sponges.

Story and characters didn't bother me all that much, I sure didn't think we needed more "precursor race artifacts"-centered plot racing the big bad guy to the McGuffin but overall it didn't offend me. Some people were boring but there was enough fun in there to be satisfactory. Animations didn't really diminish my enjoyment but it was super unnerving that characters didn't seem to change their facial expressions for roughly 90% of the game. Like, random side characters and generic town NPCs I can kinda get, but I want a bit more out of my crew when I'm chatting on the ship. I don't have any issue with the premise (exploring and settling a new galaxy) and thought it was executed about as well as I could've expected, but not as well as I would've wanted.

Overall I don't regret playing it, I just wish it had turned out better.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 29, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tei posted:

I don't think so. The shielded base I think is a standalone thing that unlock after a stupid quest in the main enemy base.
The shield base protect one of these binary "hard choices", so you are missing something.

Can't give you more info/better info, because I am a idiot.

The stage a rescue mission is what I'm talking about bugging out. It's part of a frozen planet mission chain so I never did the follow ons.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Decius posted:

I like it a lot. It's not hindered by ground like your other buddies and at full buildup it has energy rockets. As Engineer/Infiltrator it well replaces the ME 2/3 drone.

Thank you! I'll check it out real soon. I'm just so used to my powers right now its going to be weird losing one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Do they even sell physical discs of the PC version? In my country, all the online retailers are apparently only selling Origin codes. I like to have disc handy since my internet connection is not always fast and I'm going to London next week so I figure I should just look for one there.

Also I think Luc Besson is aware of how much Mass Effect look like Valerian & Laureline which lead to his movie looking a little like Mass Effect and that's why he times the new trailer release close to ME:A's release:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6wHXJR2-K8

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 29, 2017

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

DancingShade posted:

The final battle letdown (since there wasn't really a last boss) was made a lot funnier when you read the emails detailing what actually happened.

Everything the Archon did was basically Meridian doing a standard wake up from maintenance routine independant of his actions. He didn't have a loving clue what he was doing or how it worked.

Archon was a chump.

Combined with what you find out when you scan the relics in his office they're all random Remnant trash, he has no loving clue what he's doing I was hoping the game was going to take advantage of this to give him some characterization. I went into the game expecting to hate how much of a goober Ryder is but it turned out to be my favorite thing about her - I wish they'd done more with it, frankly - so it would have been great if they'd gone that way with the Archon too. I'd work well with Ryder trying to be a Shepard-style hero and not quite succeeding; both hero and villain aren't actually very good at their jobs and are kind of bumbling their way to success, trying to give inspiring/intimidating speeches and leaving the crewmates generally unimpressed. I'd leave room for a lot of the Guardians of the Galaxy-style humor you see in the crewmate conversations, which pretty clearly seems to be where the game's writing strength lies. Overall it's kind of a tragedy the Archon didn't get more personality, as it stands hes this dry, one-note character whose aggressive generic-ness kind of casts a pall over the game, very much like the ME3 ending.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

DO IT TO IT posted:

That's too bad, I thought taking out that shielded kett base on Voeld was a lot of fun. Way better than taking out the big kett base on Eos for me, where I died over and over and it had the worst checkpointing known to man.

Funnily enough I completed the Voeld Kett base stuff without any issue but the one on Eos apparently bugged out for me, either that or I just cannot for the life of me find out where to enter the center core. I destroyed the boss and everything and it shows the objective on another map but I have no idea how to get to that map because it's not pointing me in any particular direction and I spent about 20 minutes running around the base without finding a way there, so whatever. Didn't run into any issues story/continuity-wise at least.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kylra posted:

I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure the fortress is technically a sidequest you get from an NPC in I think the outpost that starts with a T. Something about the shield and encryption codes. There's not really any major named/story stuff. It's basically just "Are you a bad enough Pathfinder to take on an entire fortress of Kett and blow up all their stuff?"

By taking down the fortress, it disrupts the shield on an excavated angaran city that has some lore/plot stuff in it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

By taking down the fortress, it disrupts the shield on an excavated angaran city that has some lore/plot stuff in it.
Oh, that's good then! I don't remember that being mentioned and I haven't gone by the spot with that random shield dome since doing the fort if that's what that is.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magil Zeal posted:

I also just finished the game after ignoring everything relating to it since release and I have sort of the opposite opinion, I feel like a lot of the choices I made don't matter unless there is a sequel. Particularly stuff like what happened on Kadara and Elaaden.

My other thoughts: despite the jetpack and slick feel of the combat, overall I don't like it was much as ME3's. No tactical pause, only three hotbar skills, and not being able to order squadmates to use powers were things I was hoping wouldn't bother me but they did. I really wish all three of those things were different, because it'd be pretty neat if so. Also fighting the Ascendants on Hardcore+ gets pretty repetitive, they're massive HP sponges.

Story and characters didn't bother me all that much, I sure didn't think we needed more "precursor race artifacts"-centered plot racing the big bad guy to the McGuffin but overall it didn't offend me. Some people were boring but there was enough fun in there to be satisfactory. Animations didn't really diminish my enjoyment but it was super unnerving that characters didn't seem to change their facial expressions for roughly 90% of the game. Like, random side characters and generic town NPCs I can kinda get, but I want a bit more out of my crew when I'm chatting on the ship. I don't have any issue with the premise (exploring and settling a new galaxy) and thought it was executed about as well as I could've expected, but not as well as I would've wanted.

Overall I don't regret playing it, I just wish it had turned out better.

Oh man don't get me started on the only 3 hotbar skills thing. That sucked. You fill them out pretty fast then are basically just spending points wherever in your favorite tree to unlock tier 5 adept passives or whatever your flavor is.

The precursor artifacts will probably be how we get to the general locations for ME:A:2 The Quest For More Money. Thinking the fancy remnant drive core we salvaged will lead to "Hey we made an experimental scout ship with the help of krogan scientists and this is the maiden voyage so off you go. Oh suprise disaster and plot ensues"
Or maybe it's a literal remnant scout ship since apparently there were a whole ton left in working order docked in that space city you take control of.

Facial animations were very hit and miss but I can overlook that too. Unchanging expressions are probably for the best if animations are going to be half assed most of the time. Except Cora's creepy dead eye slightly smiling serial killer stare.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Facial animations were very hit and miss but I can overlook that too. Unchanging expressions are probably for the best if animations are going to be half assed most of the time. Except Cora's creepy dead eye slightly smiling serial killer stare.

Peebee's dialogue-to-facial-expression is really, really off-putting. Not quite sure how to phrase it except that it's very clear she should be running the gauntlet of facial expressions and isn't.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Combined with what you find out when you scan the relics in his office they're all random Remnant trash, he has no loving clue what he's doing I was hoping the game was going to take advantage of this to give him some characterization. I went into the game expecting to hate how much of a goober Ryder is but it turned out to be my favorite thing about her - I wish they'd done more with it, frankly - so it would have been great if they'd gone that way with the Archon too. I'd work well with Ryder trying to be a Shepard-style hero and not quite succeeding; both hero and villain aren't actually very good at their jobs and are kind of bumbling their way to success, trying to give inspiring/intimidating speeches and leaving the crewmates generally unimpressed. I'd leave room for a lot of the Guardians of the Galaxy-style humor you see in the crewmate conversations, which pretty clearly seems to be where the game's writing strength lies. Overall it's kind of a tragedy the Archon didn't get more personality, as it stands hes this dry, one-note character whose aggressive generic-ness kind of casts a pall over the game, very much like the ME3 ending.

Oh I agree. Giving Ryder the emotional "oh come on really?" responses worked very well to build a bumbling hero character who starts out massively out of their depth. I think you're correct in identifying that both were bumbling their way through things but Ryder happened to be the luckier / more competent one.

Would have liked more opportunities to trade snide insults with the Archon though, even if they didn't go anywhere. That's mostly just a personal preference though.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The Archon should have been more like the bad guy in Liam's loyalty mission.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DancingShade posted:

Oh I agree. Giving Ryder the emotional "oh come on really?" responses worked very well to build a bumbling hero character who starts out massively out of their depth. I think you're correct in identifying that both were bumbling their way through things but Ryder happened to be the luckier / more competent one.

Would have liked more opportunities to trade snide insults with the Archon though, even if they didn't go anywhere. That's mostly just a personal preference though.

The segment where Liam and Ryder keep turning off the dramatic speech by the angaran pirate was wasted imo. It should have been with the Archon.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

The segment where Liam and Ryder keeping turning off the dramatic speech by the angaran pirate was wasted imo. It should have been with the Archon.

Both. It should have been an evolving character trait thing.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Has anyone played with the Throw 5 second prime evolution? I'm guess it doesn't prime shielded/armored enemies like Singularity does, but hope springs eternal.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Has anyone played with the Throw 5 second prime evolution? I'm guess it doesn't prime shielded/armored enemies like Singularity does, but hope springs eternal.

I forget what evolution I took now but to prime armored/shielded enemies I would prime them with singularity.

It's easier to just pick on a nearby mook and use them to start a chain reaction, or shield strip someone first.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Tei posted:

Speaking of politics.

Theres no politic agenda in MEA. Like... you can clearly see how Bioshock was poking fun at Ayn Rand. MEA is naive, like a group of european settlers in virginia in a Terrence Malick movie.

The game have no message, politic of any other type. Is a missed opportunity.

They could have added a plot where we find per-recorded messages from TIM where he planned everything has a backup plan for humanity, or something.
Mass Effect 1-3 have a lot of political content, and even present it in a class-conscious way. That puts them ahead of most movies and nearly all video games. But I wouldn't say that they present a coherent political agenda. Frankly, they're too concerned with more hazy philosophical ideas, like Shepard's messianic nature and themes like "the created rebelling against the Creator," to present a clear dialectic.

ME:A is similar, as far as I can tell. (I'm still really early in the game; I just left Eos.) Except that its message isn't obscured by metaphysics or philosophizing about human nature in itself, it just prefers to present all the tangled ethics of exploration, colonialism, and migration without comment.

You, your crew, and everyone else in the Initiative are the lumpenproletariat of the Milky Way, the sort of people who have an incentive to leave civilization for the frontier--the vagabonds and outcasts who founded Rome, occupied the newly-built Constantinople, came to America as indentured servants and freed inmates, occupied India and Burma in the name of the British Empire, etc.

As soon as you discover the Nexus you learn they experienced disaster and mutiny. A group of subject matter experts are now the de facto government, and the krogan, the species who had been considered rabble in the Milky Way, were forced to go off on their own.

A key difference from ME1-3 is that in those games, you're not really complicit in the crimes of ExoGeni, the Alliance government, and so on. Where there is culpability, Shepard is fighting, hard, to change the system from within. The biggest moral dilemma of the trilogy is being forced out of that system and forced to work with Cerberus--then finding out that these systems are frighteningly easy to reconcile. (The Council reaffirms your Spectre status even while you're being fully-funded by a corporate-backed terrorist group. Why shouldn't they? Saren was the same.)

The colonialism on Eos is just a matter of fact. You drive around in a tank, lobbing grenades at the wildlife so that you can skin them and make them into clothes. (By the way, it's convenient that the kett are a species that literally subsists on banditry and exploitation themselves, and not the natives.)

Now, if you want to see stuff that combines an implicitly socialist outlook with Christian spiritualism in a more coherent way, you gotta watch Ridley Scott films.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

Mass Effect 1-3 have a lot of political content, and even present it in a class-conscious way. That puts them ahead of most movies and nearly all video games. But I wouldn't say that they present a coherent political agenda. Frankly, they're too concerned with more hazy philosophical ideas, like Shepard's messianic nature and themes like "the created rebelling against the Creator," to present a clear dialectic.

ME:A is similar, as far as I can tell. (I'm still really early in the game; I just left Eos.) Except that its message isn't obscured by metaphysics or philosophizing about human nature in itself, it just prefers to present all the tangled ethics of exploration, colonialism, and migration without comment.

You, your crew, and everyone else in the Initiative are the lumpenproletariat of the Milky Way, the sort of people who have an incentive to leave civilization for the frontier--the vagabonds and outcasts who founded Rome, occupied the newly-built Constantinople, came to America as indentured servants and freed inmates, occupied India and Burma in the name of the British Empire, etc.

As soon as you discover the Nexus you learn they experienced disaster and mutiny. A group of subject matter experts are now the de facto government, and the krogan, the species who had been considered rabble in the Milky Way, were forced to go off on their own.

A key difference from ME1-3 is that in those games, you're not really complicit in the crimes of ExoGeni, the Alliance government, and so on. Where there is culpability, Shepard is fighting, hard, to change the system from within. The biggest moral dilemma of the trilogy is being forced out of that system and forced to work with Cerberus--then finding out that these systems are frighteningly easy to reconcile. (The Council reaffirms your Spectre status even while you're being fully-funded by a corporate-backed terrorist group. Why shouldn't they? Saren was the same.)

The colonialism on Eos is just a matter of fact. You drive around in a tank, lobbing grenades at the wildlife so that you can skin them and make them into clothes. (By the way, it's convenient that the kett are a species that literally subsists on banditry and exploitation themselves, and not the natives.)

Now, if you want to see stuff that combines an implicitly socialist outlook with Christian spiritualism in a more coherent way, you gotta watch Ridley Scott films.

I always like it when someone discovers sociology and political science for the first time and has all these revelations. Manifest truth and all that.

You should check back after all the Angaran plotlines and update this.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
do u think they'll come up with a new character for me5 since Ryder has been racked over the coals online? maybe me5 will start like me2 with ryder getting thrown into space and dying but nobody bothers retrieving them

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

do u think they'll come up with a new character for me5 since Ryder has been racked over the coals online? maybe me5 will start like me2 with ryder getting thrown into space and dying but nobody bothers retrieving them

You play a different character in each of the Dragon Age games, so doing it that way wouldn't be unheard of.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Halloween Jack posted:

Shepard had to talk the Council round into understanding he didn't want anything to do with Cerberus, but the ship and resources were a necessary evil for the job at-hand to stop the Collector threat. Nevermind that he fully planned to be rid of Cerberus the first chance he got. Spectres also get an obscene amount of leeway in how they do their job, because they report directly to the Council and their entire mandate is cutting through red tape to deal with the situations others can't. Recruiting a hit squad of deranged psychopaths, mercenaries, wanted criminals, and a Geth to go do a job is a slow day for them.

Incidentally, one of my favourite bits in ME3 is helping deal with a guy in lockup, and watching his arrogant lawyer lose all colour and very nearly poo poo himself when he realizes his client is being held by a Spectre :allears:.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

I'm pretty sure they'll keep the main character since this is New Mass Effect and none of the "important decisions" were actually very important ones, or things that can't be fobbed off with "lol decisions have consequences" emails since you probably won't return to any previous locations anyway apart from maybe Nexus.

People screaming about Ryder are probably just still angry that their erofics involving Shepard will never come to pass canonically and that the blue asari butt they see is the wrong blue asari butt or something.

Actually I think who you choose as ambassador will matter, insofar as it will determine which voiced NPC will be part of mission control or something in the next game. So basically it won't matter at all.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

'I wish this game was more about white self loathing :('

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If "genocide isn't wrong" is a critical component of your self-esteem, seek help.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I enjoyed your post. But I am going to defend my post one last time:
- The game present colonization, but I don't think have a opinion about it. Is like a game that present slavery, without denounce it. Sometimes this happen in strategy games, where committing genocide is just another button in the interface.

I don't really need politics in my games, but conflict, I think conflict make everything better. Some political conflict would have made the game better. I think the best parts in games like Dragon Age and Witcher, is when the player agonize over difficult decisions.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

i like to shoot aliens and sometimes gently caress other aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tei posted:

I enjoyed your post. But I am going to defend my post one last time:
- The game present colonization, but I don't think have a opinion about it. Is like a game that present slavery, without denounce it. Sometimes this happen in strategy games, where committing genocide is just another button in the interface.

Slavery is hands-down the best civic in Civ IV and you should be cracking the whip extensively or risk falling behind.

In Mass Effect though I just shoot slavers.