Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alder posted:

Do you mean the DLC give this or this some kinda new challenge available?

The challenges in the DLC, so not available without purchasing Episode Gladio.
Sorry it probably doesn't make a lot of sense if you don't notice the post before mentioning Episode Gladio.

I watched all the cutscenes in the DLC earlier because I'm waiting for it all to come out before either picking and choosing or getting the season pass.

From those alone, kind of seems like this should have been Episode Cor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Just played through the DLC tonight. Not terrible and it's definitely one of the prettier dungeons in the game, but it is comically short. Like, 1-2 hours or maybe 3 if you suck, and that's including the score attack mode you'll run through once to get shirtless Gladio.

Any special reward for beating the final trial? That's the one thing I couldn't just hack my way through with ease and seems to mostly rely on endless parries to not die.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Wolfsheim posted:

Just played through the DLC tonight. Not terrible and it's definitely one of the prettier dungeons in the game, but it is comically short. Like, 1-2 hours or maybe 3 if you suck, and that's including the score attack mode you'll run through once to get shirtless Gladio.

Any special reward for beating the final trial? That's the one thing I couldn't just hack my way through with ease and seems to mostly rely on endless parries to not die.

It's possible I missed something but I got absolutely nothing for doing the final trial.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Chapter 13 translation bullshit was proven to be made by the English localization team, not existing in original Japanese, thus those who made that decision can go back to TreeHouse where they came from. gently caress 'em.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I wonder who else they could have as a guest composer for the rest of the DLCs other than Okabe

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

MrLonghair posted:

Chapter 13 translation bullshit was proven to be made by the English localization team, not existing in original Japanese, thus those who made that decision can go back to TreeHouse where they came from. gently caress 'em.

lmao

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MrLonghair posted:

what does this mean

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MrLonghair posted:

oh no how will I go on living now

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The subs clearly being unable to match the Japanese is weird and makes it blatant something isn't meshing properly here so it's a bit jarring and takes you out of the moment somewhat. It's not a big deal but it's weird.

If people are getting upset about the "alternative facts" joke though... :sad:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The subs clearly being unable to match the Japanese is weird and makes it blatant something isn't meshing properly here so it's a bit jarring and takes you out of the moment somewhat. It's not a big deal but it's weird.

If people are getting upset about the "alternative facts" joke though... :sad:

The also made a Fake News quip as well

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Levantine posted:

what does this mean

"I don't understand localization and am incredibly mad about costume edits"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

The also made a Fake News quip as well

I either missed this one or glossed over it. Either way, it's good stuff.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Localization chat between this and the persona 5 thread is probably my least favorite thing to read about. If it impacts you that much, learn Japanese and move.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Norns posted:

Localization chat between this and the persona 5 thread is probably my least favorite thing to read about. If it impacts you that much, learn Japanese and move.

Alternatively, stop reading localisation chat.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Stop posting gamefaq quotes

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I feel like it's a valid enough observation that referencing specific contemporary political events is gonna date the translation horribly, on par with those dumbass meme billboards in the first Watch Dogs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, maybe, but I don't think these concepts are going to be flash in the pan things like sticking Doge on a billboard will.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Pretty sure alternative facts and fake news are going to be ingrained into our culture of a while

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Norns posted:

Localization chat is cool when people aren't demanding that companies run dialogue through google and call it a day.

Motto fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 29, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They should run the dialog through Gologle

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Motto posted:

Localization chat is cool and good when people aren't demanding that companies run dialogue through google and call it a day.

Yes I agree. More Japanese companies need to use setups like 8-4 Play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

I feel like it's a valid enough observation that referencing specific contemporary political events is gonna date the translation horribly, on par with those dumbass meme billboards in the first Watch Dogs.

You do know that actual Japanese games also feature references and injokes to current evens right? "It's going to DATE it!!" is always a weak argument because even the original text is going to be dated eventually if just through language choice.

... also, uh, the original FFXV translation features references and jokes too but nobody is getting salty over that because it isn't making fun of their lovely orange rear end in a top hat. (Not you but the dude running in to whine about it apparently was okay with all the other jokes both Japanese and translation-exclusive in the main game.)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Please do not ever assume I am in favor of anything the wigged orangutan does

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

Please do not ever assume I am in favor of anything the wigged orangutan does

Yeah, I edited that in because it wasn't fair to imply that about you. Sorry about that.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

MrLonghair posted:

Ha. Haha. Hahaha. Hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha hahahahah.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

also just loving lol if you watch Naruto dubbed instead of the true Subtitled version

how else will you be exposed to jokes about Japanese culture that you can pretend to understand???

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

youd have t be a proper usuratonkachi ya dig?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nakama doesn't just mean "friend" it has a much deeper philosophical meaning that could never be properly translated into a shallow language like english! only "nakama" truly conveys the emotional depth of the bond shared between the pirate crew in One Piece

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
All according to senpai*

*TL note: "Senpai" means "Fake News"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

k...kuso!!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Did you know there are games released in Japan where all the original voice acting is in English where none the less the Japanese text doesn't say the same thing as the English voice acting? Crazy, I know!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Did you know there are games released in Japan where all the original voice acting is in English where none the less the Japanese text doesn't say the same thing as the English voice acting? Crazy, I know!

Citation needed buddy!!!!!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Citation needed buddy!!!!!!!

Please look at the glorious and flawless work Illbleed for more information.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That alternative facts line does seem extremely Ignis to me tbh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I remember one guy back in the day who would not, could not believe that DMC4's acting was originally recorded and dubbed in English.

e: which, now that I think about it, may not have actually been the case, so I'm glad I wasn't actually involved in the argument.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

I remember one guy back in the day who would not, could not believe that DMC4's acting was originally recorded and dubbed in English.

e: which, now that I think about it, may not have actually been the case, so I'm glad I wasn't actually involved in the argument.

I think every DMC game only ever had English voice acting

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I don't recall DMC4 but I'm almost certain this is true for Bayonetta. I believe they had to find a Japanese voice actress for Bayo for the anime thing they did. It makes sense with Bayo being set in fake Europe, after all.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Oxxidation posted:

DMC (on the PS2), Demon's/Dark Souls and Bayonetta are all games that only had english voice acting initially.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
And they were the ones that filled our dark souls with light*, yes.

*liiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
DLC got good at the final boss, then it got even better, I dug it. For $5 without a season-pass I've seen many times worse ways to spend money on DLC.

And you don't loving jam a meme into a localization when you could just do your job, why could they not resist the temptation to keep it free fom fuckery and from dragging it the hell down in the muddy swamp awaiting a draining, those dumbasses. It's not spicing up and otherwise dull line of original, it's being a retard, like with other parts of the FFXV localization and how it changes the characters in ways that actually go overboard compared to the original Japanese, in ways that would be perfectly fine to translate straight up, ways that would deliver the character's personality. At least it's not Fire Emblem!

• Locked thread