Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
What's so great about a metal card? Does the barcode last longer? All of my plastic cards get replaced long before they fall apart, but sometimes the barcode stops scanning well after a while. The CSR is metal and I wish it was lighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

If it really bothers you, you could probably just call in a lost card.

If you report it as lost they're likely to give you a new number and all the hassles that comes along with. Report it as damaged instead (i.e. magstripe doesn't work, chip doesn't work, etc) and they'll just send you a replacement card with the same number.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I only use it for Amazon so it would take one minute to put in the new details. Not too concerned about the metal card, just wondering if it was only for annual users. Thanks!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

potatoducks posted:

What's so great about a metal card? Does the barcode last longer? All of my plastic cards get replaced long before they fall apart, but sometimes the barcode stops scanning well after a while. The CSR is metal and I wish it was lighter.

Girls love it

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Insane Totoro posted:

Girls love it

Huge psychological advantage in Credit Card Roulette.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Elysium posted:

Huge psychological advantage in Credit Card Roulette.

Unfortunately makes it the easiest one to pick from the pile if the rest are plastic if you're doing a blind pick out of a hat.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

The Big Jesus posted:

Unfortunately makes it the easiest one to pick from the pile if the rest are plastic if you're doing a blind pick out of a hat.

That's a good thing if you're doing last one in like you should be. First one out is dumb and anti-climactic.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wish I knew this thread existed years ago...I've been using rewards but clearly not to my best advantage. Anyhow, I have a quicksilver, and a no AF 1% amex card I barely used.

Was thinking about getting a amex blue preferred, but the break-even from that and the free version of the card is $3000 right? SO best we could figure, our annual grocery bill is near the $3k point.

I called amex and they'll move me to the blue everyday (no AF, 3% groceries etc) and let me get the signing bonus (10% at restaurants for 6 months, and $100 for spending $1k in first 3 months), so I think that's a good option for now.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Break even on the anual fee amex is $2,500 ($75 fee divided by 3% better than free vrsion)

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
If your alternative is a straight 2% card like the double cash, then break even in $7500 on groceries.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

potatoducks posted:

If your alternative is a straight 2% card like the double cash, then break even in $7500 on groceries.

The no-AF Blue Cash is 3% back on groceries up to a cap of $6k (1% after the cap). For grocery-coded spending, it's strictly better than the Double Cash, starting from $0.

The $95 AF Blue Cash Preferred is 6% back on groceries up to the same cap.

The relevant comparison is between the two Blue Cash cards. Breakeven is $3,200 for going with the Preferred over the non-preferred version. At $2,375 the Preferred would start to beat the Double Cash, but the non-preferred Blue Cash would still be a better choice. In theory, the cap would give you another breakeven point where the Double Cash would pull ahead of the Preferred - but that's at $30,000. If you're spending $2,500 a month at the grocery store, you can probably find more savings there than you would get from min/maxing your credit card.

(the real answer, of course, is to just pick up as many signup bonuses as possible; they offer a better ROI than you could ever hope to get from an ongoing rewards program)

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Oh ok I got confused. Perfect example of why I cant handle more than 2 cards.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Anyone know of any cards that don't give you rewards for paying federal taxes? I have the Reserve and DoubleCash and will likely pay with the Reserve for points.

(The fee is 1.98%, so it's a minor gain with points valued at 2.1c plus tax deduction for next year.)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there a reason to choose one Delta-branded AMEX card over the other? I want to spend on one of them this year so I don't end up missing Delta status again for not spending enough money.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Anyone care to recommend a good sign up bonus card. We are about to book a trip for about $2500 and I easily spend $1000 a month. Cards I have already done in the last two years:

Chase Amazon 1/15
Chase Sapphire Preferred 9/16
Capital One Venture 11/16
Chase Sapphire Reserve 12/16
Amex Delta Skymiles 1/17

I just applied for a Citi Double case which will likely become my daily if I can't find another good sign up bonus card.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Is about to more than a week away? Some banks will ship overnight or two day, but not all and it's potentially card dependent.

You should also give some direction as there's probably 50+ cards that fit the vague of want a sign up bonus. For cards that fit what you already have, Chase Ink or if you're uncomfortable with signing up for a business card then Freedom, Amex has at least two other Delta cards, Capital One has Spark, and Barclay's Arrival+ Is a good generic option. You're under 5/24 so you should prioritize Chase in my opinion, other than what's i listed above the Marriot and United cards are good and under that restriction.

asur fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 29, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Has anyone used the double cash cards for Manufactured Spending? Seems like you could make some good cash doing so. Earn 1.25%-2% Cashback by buying gift cards through GCM, then earning 1% on that purchase, another when you pay off the balance. Too good to be true? Are these cards known for shutting down such activity?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TraderStav posted:

Has anyone used the double cash cards for Manufactured Spending? Seems like you could make some good cash doing so. Earn 1.25%-2% Cashback by buying gift cards through GCM, then earning 1% on that purchase, another when you pay off the balance. Too good to be true? Are these cards known for shutting down such activity?

If you can reliably turn those gift cards back into real cash, go hog wild.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

baquerd posted:

If you can reliably turn those gift cards back into real cash, go hog wild.

That part isn't an issue. I've got that process down (~8-10K/mo currently, ramping that up) with MO's at Walmart. Was just looking at the other potential constraints in the idea. Downside to that is that you don't generate any travel points. But, my quick math you'd get about $275 net of all fees per $10K done.

Not a bad side gig.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Is there a reason to choose one Delta-branded AMEX card over the other? I want to spend on one of them this year so I don't end up missing Delta status again for not spending enough money.

The delta platinum has spend-based MQM bonuses, but has a $195 annual fee and you missed the 70k sign up bonus they had a little while back. Whether or not that's worth it to you probably depends on how much you need the mqm, otherwise the everyday preferred or prg would earn at a higher rate.

If you meant business versus personal cards, Amex business cards have minor discounts on things like rental cars and stuff.

Ed: if you meant for the $25k EQD waiver I don't think the card choices matters

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

asur posted:

Is about to more than a week away? Some banks will ship overnight or two day, but not all and it's potentially card dependent.

You should also give some direction as there's probably 50+ cards that fit the vague of want a sign up bonus. For cards that fit what you already have, Chase Ink or if you're uncomfortable with signing up for a business card then Freedom, Amex has at least two other Delta cards, Capital One has Spark, and Barclay's Arrival+ Is a good generic option. You're under 5/24 so you should prioritize Chase in my opinion, other than what's i listed above the Marriot and United cards are good and under that restriction.

We have several months left to book if need be. Aren't I over 5/24 I thought that applied to all cards not just cards from Chase? If so I guess the Chase Ink would be a slam dunk and put me over 250K UR points. I didn't realize you don't need an actual business to apply for one of these and I'll pay if off every month so I don't think there's any issue with using it for personal use.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
5/24 applies to Chase branded cards, not all cards. At least that's how it used to be...

Edit. Google tells me they have changed it to include other issuers. But a YMMV kind of thing.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 29, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Untagged posted:

5/24 applies to Chase branded cards, not all cards. At least that's how it used to be...

Edit. Google tells me they have changed it to include other issuers. But a YMMV kind of thing.

5/24 applies to all issuers, but only Chase uses the methodology for consideration.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

ManDingo posted:

We have several months left to book if need be. Aren't I over 5/24 I thought that applied to all cards not just cards from Chase? If so I guess the Chase Ink would be a slam dunk and put me over 250K UR points. I didn't realize you don't need an actual business to apply for one of these and I'll pay if off every month so I don't think there's any issue with using it for personal use.

I count four cards?

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

asur posted:

I count four cards?

Chase Amazon 1/15
Amex Delta Skymiles 1/17

Plus the Citi double cash I just applied for.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

My wife has a Bank of America credit card with about 13k on it and ~10% interest. We have a plan to pay it off within the next 6 months or so, but would it make sense to transfer it to a 0% card to prevent these interest fees? I saw the chase Slate card has 0% transfer and 0% APR for 15 months which would be perfect. But it also said only for first 60 days - does that mean theres a transfer fee from then on? Or if I make the transfer of all 13 in one shot will that be 0% forever?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FateFree posted:

My wife has a Bank of America credit card with about 13k on it and ~10% interest. We have a plan to pay it off within the next 6 months or so, but would it make sense to transfer it to a 0% card to prevent these interest fees? I saw the chase Slate card has 0% transfer and 0% APR for 15 months which would be perfect. But it also said only for first 60 days - does that mean theres a transfer fee from then on? Or if I make the transfer of all 13 in one shot will that be 0% forever?

You have to make the transfer in the first 60 days of opening the Slate for it to be fee-free and have the promotional rate. Once it's transferred, it's only 0% for 15 months, so you really want to pay it off by then.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Insane Totoro posted:

Girls love it

I like to tell myself this is true but really I just love how cool it is

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Super lame. You can't even put them through the shredder when you get a new one.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Darn, you'll have to kill it with buck shot.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

ManDingo posted:

Anyone care to recommend a good sign up bonus card. We are about to book a trip for about $2500 and I easily spend $1000 a month. Cards I have already done in the last two years:

Chase Amazon 1/15
Amex Delta Skymiles 1/17

I just applied for a Citi Double case which will likely become my daily if I can't find another good sign up bonus card.

Untagged posted:

TraderStav posted:

5/24 applies to all issuers, but only Chase uses the methodology for consideration.

Housekeeping item: I ended up being approved for the Chase Ink today. Woohoo.

5/24; How does it work...

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ManDingo posted:

Housekeeping item: I ended up being approved for the Chase Ink today. Woohoo.

5/24; How does it work...

The card from 1/15 wouldn't count, and either the Amex from 1/17 or the double cash must not have been reporting yet (usually takes ~2months for new Amex cards to show up on reports).

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Welp, declined for a Chase Freedom card because I don't have recent credit history. I guess I should try out that Discover secured card, unless there's a card that would accept a 711 credit score with no history?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

ChikoDemono posted:

Welp, declined for a Chase Freedom card because I don't have recent credit history. I guess I should try out that Discover secured card, unless there's a card that would accept a 711 credit score with no history?

Was that online app only or did you call them? If you didn't call them then try that.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Online. I'll give them a call.

edit: a no-go. Time to try out a secured card.

ChikoDemono fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 3, 2017

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
So AMEX just recently ran a 75k promotion? Any chance they'll do it again before the summer?

e: gently caress looks like they've done 100k in the past too

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The Mantis posted:

So AMEX just recently ran a 75k promotion? Any chance they'll do it again before the summer?

e: gently caress looks like they've done 100k in the past too

Are you referring to their Membership Rewards cards or their Hilton cards?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I have an offer for a 100k business platinum card on my desk. Not sure if it's worth it, considering how little I travel.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

No Butt Stuff posted:

I have an offer for a 100k business platinum card on my desk. Not sure if it's worth it, considering how little I travel.

If you use one of the airlines you can select then it almost certainly is. The annual fee is entirely paid for by the 2x$200 credits, buy GCs if needed, and the Uber credit. The 100k points are worth $2k at the airline you select or more if you're willing to transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
No uber benefit on the business platinum (yet), but it's also still at $450/year.

Highest it's ever been is 150k for highly targeted offers.

Even if you converted the point to cash (please don't do this) you'd net $150 + the airline credits (100k*.06-450).