Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The big question on any Cena proposal is why Wrestlemania, shouldn't contract signings be done on the go home show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Has anyone else noticed that Dean is starting to look like Robert Ginty

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

AsInHowe posted:

The big question on any Cena proposal is why Wrestlemania, shouldn't contract signings be done on the go home show?

I know this is a joke but the Cena proposal is probably going to be the only notable thing that happens at Wrestlemania that is notable for being a good thing. As opposed to all of the other notable Wrestlemania Moments which will only be notable for how awful and tone deaf they are.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

given the massive contract just to live with him, the cena/nikki prenup is going to be insaaaaaane

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
I like Enzo. He's tailor made to run his mouth, get beat up, and get Cass the hot tag. He hasn't always been given the best backstage stuff but I think he's great at cutting short promos in the ring before matches.

He's got a little mainstream appeal lately thanks to his shoe game. He came into NXT with zero wrestling experience, so I cut him a little slack when he screws up.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

FAROOQ posted:

is hideo itami dead

Gave himself the GTS and only just woke up this week

https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/845791745342353408?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

dromal phrenia posted:

given the massive contract just to live with him, the cena/nikki prenup is going to be insaaaaaane

Contract signings never go well in a wrestling ring! Never!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Cass will be decent enough

Enzo sucks

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Just look at the crowd go wild!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Aphrodite posted:

I've been to plenty of shows here, you can tell when they're just doing it to be French Canadian and when it's real.

They love Charlotte. It's mind boggling.

I didn't know Montreal was cool and good!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Enzo was better when he was doing new material each week. Instead now he kinda retreads everything, especially "cuppa haters" which really makes his shtick wear thin.

Sheamus and Cesaro are also a million times better, so it's hard to cheer for Enzo and Cass when there's an infinitely better team right there.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have a feeling Enzo is told to just stick to his catchphrases and it seems like Cass puts less effort into sawft every time I see him.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

watching talking smack and i really hope for dean's sake that was a scripted promo

Him and Corbin were both terrible in that segment

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

harper replaces ambrose in all things, match is now harper vs. corbin :unsmigghh:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Remember when Steph was marrying Triple H but then she got kidnapped or some poo poo?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No he kidnapped and drugged her to marry her duh

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

I have a feeling Enzo is told to just stick to his catchphrases and it seems like Cass puts less effort into sawft every time I see him.

You're telling me WWE picked a perfectly good wrestler that got over with their own schtick and then hosed it all up, making them look like unredeemable garbage in the process? Say it ain't so.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I can hardly remember, but HHH kidnapped Steph? I remember a drive through wedding chapel in vegas, but that's about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

a new study bible! posted:

I can hardly remember, but HHH kidnapped Steph? I remember a drive through wedding chapel in vegas, but that's about it.

She was supposed to be marrying Test but Triple H interrupted and showed the video of her supposedly drugged and marrying him in Vegas.

Then she turned on Vince at Armageddon and showed she was in on it the whole time. That started the McMahon-Helmsley Era stuff.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aphrodite posted:

She was supposed to be marrying Test but Triple H interrupted and showed the video of her supposedly drugged and marrying him in Vegas.

Then she turned on Vince at Armageddon and showed she was in on it the whole time. That started the McMahon-Helmsley Era stuff.

40 years later Stephanie and her husband are still going strogn. Heres for 40 more years of good angles and characters!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
WrestleMania III took place exactly 30 years ago today.

My favorite tidbit:

quote:

Howard Finkel, ring announcer and WWE Hall of Famer: I blurted out in a meeting in 1984, ‘There was Beatlemania, why can’t we have WrestleMania?’ And that was basically it.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

everyone is just a catchphrase dispenser who wrestles every now and then

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

CubsWoo posted:

The only development their characters have had since debuting is that Enzo desperately wants to gently caress married women and/or honey mustard BBQ glazed fried chicken

Cass has a great story in reality of making it to the main roster against all odds but haha who cares just watch him spell S A W F T the same way every single week forever

Does "he wasn't good enough" really make for a great story?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I feel like this needs to be said every time some one has always been bad, but has anyone ever thought hmmmm maybe the booking is bad? Class and Enzo aren't great workers but they can get it done in the ring. Maybe it's that they never have any sort of real angle going on and are given dumb garbage to do. I know wwe are great at booking and they rarely ever gently caress up but it's just a thought.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

nooneofconsequence posted:

Does "he wasn't good enough" really make for a great story?

see: bryan, daniel

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The opening bit of this article is so insufferable I almost didn't make it to the actual good part.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I still can't believe John Cena is really The Miz.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

The_Rob posted:

I feel like this needs to be said every time some one has always been bad, but has anyone ever thought hmmmm maybe the booking is bad? Class and Enzo aren't great workers but they can get it done in the ring. Maybe it's that they never have any sort of real angle going on and are given dumb garbage to do. I know wwe are great at booking and they rarely ever gently caress up but it's just a thought.

get it done? the dude hosed up a simple irish whip over the ropes from Cesaro and nearly killed himself sliding under the ropes in that Vaudvillains match. He doesn't belong anywhere near a ring

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

They shoulda stuck by wrestlemania's original name, "The Colossal Tussle".

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tato posted:

get it done? the dude hosed up a simple irish whip over the ropes from Cesaro and nearly killed himself sliding under the ropes in that Vaudvillains match. He doesn't belong anywhere near a ring

The sliding under the ropes during the vaudevillians match was one of those weird freak accidents that could have happened to anyone. And yeah sometimes easy botches happen. Why were they doing fine in NXT and having pretty decent to good matches on a consistent basis there?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

IcePhoenix posted:

The opening bit of this article is so insufferable I almost didn't make it to the actual good part.
Yeah, the stuff written at the beginning by the author reeked of ":smug: rasslin is so below me :smug:" but the anecdotes from the fans, celebrities and wrestlers were a good read. I know I said earlier that Finkel's quote about him coming up with the name WrestleMania was my favorite but that was before getting to the part where Steamboat breaks down how he and Savage planned their match. Good stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tato posted:

AJ Styles has killed 9 people with a simple forward flop.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I used to have my pals up every year for The Ultimate Thrillride but this year I'm not even sure I'm gonna watch it

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I've seen veteran wrestlers gently caress up moves all the time. If you can only point out two botches from Enzo, one from over a year ago. That's clearly not that bad.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The_Rob posted:

I've seen veteran wrestlers gently caress up moves all the time. If you can only point out two botches from Enzo, one from over a year ago. That's clearly not that bad.

that botch with cesaro was like infinitely bad tho

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that botch with cesaro was like infinitely bad tho

Yeah but poo poo happens. Matt Sydal is one of the most crisp wrestlers around and dude broke his leg doing a simple dive. Sami zayn was out for 6 months for putting his hands in the air. Like it's wrestling. Botches happen. Maybe I'm easier on botches than most people but seriously you guys get pretty ridiculous on this stuff.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

The_Rob posted:

I've said it before, but part of the problem is the format. In NXT they didn't have a 5-minute promo every week, so they didn't run through their good material so quickly and get people tired of their catchphrases. But hey, you've got to fill 3 hours, and everyone has to be on the show every week!

(It's not just length, though -- WWE has shown they can't even put a one-hour show together without plenty of filler and repetition. Rotating guys off of television for a few months each year would really help with overexposure and burnout though.)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The_Rob posted:

The sliding under the ropes during the vaudevillians match was one of those weird freak accidents that could have happened to anyone. And yeah sometimes easy botches happen. Why were they doing fine in NXT and having pretty decent to good matches on a consistent basis there?

Matches are rehearsed in NXT

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 29, 2017

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

bring back the territories and make wrestling great again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rotating guys in and out is a thing that it feels like people have been saying forever but logically has zero reason to ever happen because you'd be asking wrestlers to take a significant pay cut.

• Locked thread