Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

apropos man posted:

Never seen them with no credits before. Although I might have instinctively hit refuel and that's where the 741 CR went. Can't believe I've never noticed a zero payout mission before now.

I think I've seen them before, though they always had some commodities or materials as a reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Between not realising that there are no credit missions and doing my engineering upgrades the wrong way, I'm happy to wear the remlock helmet with a 'D' on it.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

Between not realising that there are no credit missions and doing my engineering upgrades the wrong way, I'm happy to wear the remlock helmet with a 'D' on it.

Just go ahead and turn off your life support now.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Akion posted:

Just go ahead and turn off your life support now.

You just want me to flash my D ;-P

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Jesusfuck what the hell Frontier who makes a new exciting multiplayer feature and then cripples it because gently caress you, newbies?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Thank you for this! Deleting those extra "mode" columns did the trick! The pinkie trigger works properly and I now have the clutch set up for Flight and Combat, swapping buttons around for better functionality! :dance:

Happy to help! I just did a complete system rebuild and had to jump through the same hoops, myself.

Oh, and be aware that the joystick software doesn't automatically load your profile on startup, so you may have to manually load the profile from your taskbar icon after you reboot your machine - otherwise, those modifications won't be live. The MFD on your throttle will actually show the name of the currently loaded profile.

Internet Explorer posted:

I wanted to say thank you very much for taking the time to type this out. I didn't know there were any difference other than just "better than, more expensive than" as you went up in ratings. This is really excellent and should probably be put in the OP

Also thank you to everyone else who took the time to explain things. Obviously, I haven't really done a whole lot of ship building in Elite yet. My entire experience has been about 20 missions of data / item courier runs and a few hours of Quience grinding, so I really have no clue what I'm doing outside of that.

I'm one of those types who loves to build ships, fiddle around with configurations, and theorycraft about performance, so I'm honestly more than happy to have an excuse to balther on about stuff liek this. (That's you, yo.) I'm just glad you feel I'm helpful!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Drake_263 posted:

Jesusfuck what the hell Frontier who makes a new exciting multiplayer feature and then cripples it because gently caress you, newbies?

*cough*CQC*cough*

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Isn't it possible to help out friends that are new to the game by meeting them in deep space and tossing expensive cargo to them anyway?

So helping them create money through multi-crew is moot? Or is sharing wealth through cargo not very efficient?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

apropos man posted:

Isn't it possible to help out friends that are new to the game by meeting them in deep space and tossing expensive cargo to them anyway?

So helping them create money through multi-crew is moot? Or is sharing wealth through cargo not very efficient?

It's far more efficient to just tell them the latest get-rich-quick scheme. The current one is extremely newbie-in-a-sidewinder friendly, aside from the initial bunch of jumps you gotta do to get to Quince.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Well, yeah. But stuff like Quince is an anomaly. Myself and my buddy are still grinding it only because we think it could be clobbered any day now.

I suppose my point was that if you make a game that is sandboxy then people are gonna use the sandbox nature to do things like distribute wealth. It's against the nature of an open-ended game to try and constrain things like that from happening.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Quince will last at least until 2.3 releases.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

apropos man posted:

Well, yeah. But stuff like Quince is an anomaly. Myself and my buddy are still grinding it only because we think it could be clobbered any day now.

I suppose my point was that if you make a game that is sandboxy then people are gonna use the sandbox nature to do things like distribute wealth. It's against the nature of an open-ended game to try and constrain things like that from happening.

Elite is bizarrely antagonistic at the notion of players doing anything other than inconvenience other players. That's the major reason I spend 99% of my time playing it as a single player game.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Boogalo posted:

Quince will last at least until 2.3 releases.

This, :frontear: only hates fun because their most vocal fans make them. It's why these :airquote: exploits :airquote: get left on the live servers for months on end...

It's always why everyone piles on, the current money maker is never as good as the old one: Robigo > Sothis > Broken CGs > Sothis 2 > Skimmers > Quince > THE FUTURE :psylon:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

apropos man posted:

Well, yeah. But stuff like Quince is an anomaly.

There's pretty much always an anomaly of some sort.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is there supposed to be some sort of inside joke with regards to all the npc portraits having derpy dreamworks face?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Time efficient fun is a dog enjoying itself in the park on a sunny day.

Frontier is animal control with a tranq rifle lining up a shot.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
...dear god finding that Qwent activating mission :/
Best buds with Sirius from the Robigo runs but...arugh... anyone have any tips on what the hell to do to get the bloody mission to show up? I'm in Sirius combing all the stations, even the one on the planet.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

WebDog posted:

...dear god finding that Qwent activating mission :/
Best buds with Sirius from the Robigo runs but...arugh... anyone have any tips on what the hell to do to get the bloody mission to show up? I'm in Sirius combing all the stations, even the one on the planet.

Don't bother flying station to station, just keep swapping from open to solo to pg and back while docked at the main station.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Krycek posted:

Don't bother flying station to station, just keep swapping from open to solo to pg and back while docked at the main station.
Been doing board swapping...man this makes the ore grind tolerable.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Krycek posted:

This is how I got it. Some report over on the Frontier forum that they got theirs from O'Brien Vision in the same system, but I would just relog.

e: You could always put it to one side and do a 5,000ly mission in the meantime and come back to it later. You are unlocking Qwent mainly in order to get Professor Palin unlocked, aren't you? That was my M.O. Somewhere along the line you're gonna have to take the plunge and go 5,000ly outside the bubble to activate Palin.

e;e: Edited for removal of ambiguously being offensive. I wasn't being offensive but I had just woke up!

apropos man fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 29, 2017

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Think I've already travelled 5,000ly during my space madness phase. Guess I could go back to quince and keep grinding the millions. Wasn't Qwent mentioned in the patch notes in the beta?
Edit : and speak of the devil, finally spawned at Patterson Enterprise.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 29, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Board scumming is the worst. My most-used part of this game is the quit and login controls.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
What's the most grognardy thing you can think of? If you said starting a change.org petition about your immersions, then you win a prize. :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pilchenstein posted:

What's the most grognardy thing you can think of? If you said starting a change.org petition about your immersions, then you win a prize. :v:

List of things change.org has accomplished ever:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

WebDog posted:

Edit : and speak of the devil, finally spawned at Patterson Enterprise.

I have found the best way to get something to happen in this game is to complain to strangers on the internet. Almost instant results every time.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Scumming for that Qwent mission once took me an entire afternoon, and was by far the most awful time I've spent playing Elite. And I have a Cutter.

Gort posted:

Board scumming is the worst. My most-used part of this game is the quit and login controls.

Just let us refresh the board, Frontier! It's like the one thing that even I have a non-grognard, normal-person opinion about. :mad:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 29, 2017

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Truga posted:

I have an x65 rather than x52, but what I did was I set up my bottom detent to be at 50% throttle (so neutral if you have full -100 - +100 set in options). This owns, because to reverse I just pull the throttle back fully and if I want to stop, I stop at the detent.

That said, on x52 you'd need a huge deadzone to set this up cause IIRC the detent range is huge? Dunno if it can be adjusted or just removed.

That seems cool if not for the forward detent that you need to push through to go full speed? If only there was an easy way to just remove forward detent it would be perfect.

timn posted:

+1 for removing the detent on the X52. I suffered with it for about 6 months before removing it. The difference that made was huge, and the throttle is infinitely more enjoyable without it.

With the detent out of the way, I find that setting a deadzone in Elite of just one tick past zero is perfect for easy stops without losing precision. The body of the throttle is also graduated so you can look for the 50% mark there or just pay attention to the throttle needle in-game. Muscle memory will teach you where the center point is over time as well.

I personally just set it plain 0 to 100 and used the slider on the throuttle to reverse direction when I need it (slider forward to go forward, slider back to reverse).

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

So I found that ship builder, coriolois. Is the edcd domain the current one? And is there a way to know which stations I need to visit to find the specific parts I want?

Looking to build a good space truck, don't have lots of cash or horizons (yet), so I was going to go with upgrading the Hauler a bit more. Certainly take suggestions, though I'm not sure there is much available for under 1mil. Right now my hauler can do 16T and 14ly jumps. Looks like I could kick it up to 30ly with some better items. Been hanging close to diamond frogs station for missions, if those parts are nearby.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Phuzun posted:

So I found that ship builder, coriolois. Is the edcd domain the current one? And is there a way to know which stations I need to visit to find the specific parts I want?

Looking to build a good space truck, don't have lots of cash or horizons (yet), so I was going to go with upgrading the Hauler a bit more. Certainly take suggestions, though I'm not sure there is much available for under 1mil. Right now my hauler can do 16T and 14ly jumps. Looks like I could kick it up to 30ly with some better items. Been hanging close to diamond frogs station for missions, if those parts are nearby.
You should (almost) always buy ships and outfit them at stations in Li Yong (or whatever his name is) space, there is 15% discount. You can try searching for specific modules here https://eddb.io/station

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

FDev posted:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, it’s exactly why we run betas like this… to test out features, and find the right balance with support from the community.

With regards to multicrew, we felt it was important to balance the amount of credits you receive after joining a session for a few reasons.
Without this balance players would quickly be able to skip the initial progression in the game. This is something that was designed to teach players how to engage with the Elite Dangerous galaxy, and allowing players to jump in to someone else’s ship and earn millions of credits in no time at all would allow them to skip this progression entirely and hop straight in to a larger ship, without having learned how to make money in normal gameplay. These new players won’t have learned the intricacies of each ship, the intricacies of combat, exploration or trade, and most importantly they won’t feel like they’ve earned the right to sit in the mighty Anaconda. It would truly change the early in-game progression, and knock the balance of the game for the worse… for both new and experienced players.

The multicrew feature would be used as an exploit if rewards stay as high as they were in previous betas. We understand that this will still happen a little anyway, but reducing the reward will further reduce the frequency of people appearing on ships to simply earn as many credits as possible before being kicked.

We also think it’s important to find the right risk-reward balance. When you join a ship as a crew member you no longer have to worry about rebuy costs if you’re destroyed, and that reduces the risk vastly. For this reason, the rewards should be reduced to match that.

Also, I thought I'd correct a couple of things that have been said in here about how it works, just to make sure everyone is on the same page. Firstly the helm always gets the full reward, 100%, whatever their rank, as they have earned the ship, and are taking the rebuy risk etc. Their rank doesn’t affect this – after all they have already earned enough money for a big enough ship to multicrew in the first place. The money their crew gets is additional to this. Secondly, all players, crew or helm, still earn rank upgrades with only one exception, which is when the helm cashes in exploration data this would be an exploit for people that have merely joined their ship for the short time needed to cash them in, so crew are excluded from this, so exploration rank is not affected. Hope that clears up a few things!

Multicrew is an incredibly fun feature to use, take part in with your friends, and meet new Commanders to help explore, fight and trade… we want to continue rewarding players for taking part in Multicrew (because let’s face it earning credits for blowing up ships is still a lot of fun), but finding the right balance is incredibly important. Thanks for your patience.

tl;dr - Credits = XP so you can't have nice things.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
It's a good explanation with good reasoning behind it, Frontier is good and smart

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Can we get the dissenting opinion from the devs that aren't full grognard

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
FDev: We want to cultivate the 'gently caress You, Got Mine' playerbase.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
They should permanently keep the beta server open for goons who don't care about 95% of the game, and just want to smash big spaceships together like Tonka trunks.

Here's my fish where's my Anaconda

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Thought you had a good or fun idea to go along with our headline update? PSYCHE! :frontear:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
How are you going to learn intricacies of early ships in the more popular choices for multicrew, ships that cost a hundred million or more to outfit well? The fact is, actually playing well in small ships is harder than in popular choices; you can pretty go ham in a Python or Anaconda and come out alright in a PVE battle, whereas success in the earlier stuff is more twitchy and requires finer knowledge of other ships. You get good in those and then find that most of the skills you learned don't really apply to bigger ships, which have a slower pace and only really require you to be good at managing your velocity as you drift more—so why use that as an excuse? Players should start in some rickety medium sized ship and then move into bigger stuff as normal, or into souped-up smaller ships.

What I'm saying is, buff the Adder and make it cost more.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Jesus Christ, :frontear: this is so dumb.

First, combat rank is zero indication of skill it's a time sink, nothing more.

Second, people who want to power level ARE STILL GOING TO POWERLEVEL. The credit "exploits" that exist for months on end let you go from zero to billions in the span of a few days of grinding. You can currently (in the beta) wing up with someone in a god tier ship in your freewinder, tag the things they're about to explode and get 100% of the bounty. There is no risk in this and it frankly is not even that engaging.

Third, multicrew doesn't confer federation or imperial rank so the "best" ships are still locked behind an asinine grind.

Fourth, the mentality of "earning" the right to sit in an Anaconda is insane and cuts to what is toxic about this game's community. Someone else getting a big expensive ship doesn't diminish your enjoyment of the game in the slightest. There is no economy to tank, your interactions with other players are largely voluntary. Who the h*ck cares if someone who has "only" played 100 hours has an Anaconda? Seriously aside from some puffed up sense of entitlement, how does this diminish your game experience? Furthermore, having enough credits to do what you want really is where the game gets good. Have a large fund? Great, maybe you feel more comfortable engaging in PvP or playing in open because getting ganked by another player won't wipe you out financially.

Fifth, this is another decision in a long series of decisions where Frontier caves to a small but vocal minority of players -- "forum dads" as they are commonly called around here. I frankly cannot recommend this game to new players as long as Frontier continues to make the newbie experience a horrific slog to appease some entitled nerd.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Seriously, has anyone used the ship transfer system regularly since its implementation? Nothing like dropping a million credits for the pleasure of setting a timer on your phone to let you know when you can play again! :downsbravo:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Seriously, has anyone used the ship transfer system regularly since its implementation? Nothing like dropping a million credits for the pleasure of setting a timer on your phone to let you know when you can play again! :downsbravo:

I have, because screw flying things like a FDL or Gunship to an engineer :v:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Not regularly. I mostly use it to rescue ships docked at hostile stations. Extremely occasionally to get to an engineer and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
We have come full circle...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Jesus Christ, :frontear: this is so dumb.

First, combat rank is zero indication of skill it's a time sink, nothing more.

Second, people who want to power level ARE STILL GOING TO POWERLEVEL. The credit "exploits" that exist for months on end let you go from zero to billions in the span of a few days of grinding. You can currently (in the beta) wing up with someone in a god tier ship in your freewinder, tag the things they're about to explode and get 100% of the bounty. There is no risk in this and it frankly is not even that engaging.

Third, multicrew doesn't confer federation or imperial rank so the "best" ships are still locked behind an asinine grind.

Fourth, the mentality of "earning" the right to sit in an Anaconda is insane and cuts to what is toxic about this game's community. Someone else getting a big expensive ship doesn't diminish your enjoyment of the game in the slightest. There is no economy to tank, your interactions with other players are largely voluntary. Who the h*ck cares if someone who has "only" played 100 hours has an Anaconda? Seriously aside from some puffed up sense of entitlement, how does this diminish your game experience? Furthermore, having enough credits to do what you want really is where the game gets good. Have a large fund? Great, maybe you feel more comfortable engaging in PvP or playing in open because getting ganked by another player won't wipe you out financially.

Fifth, this is another decision in a long series of decisions where Frontier caves to a small but vocal minority of players -- "forum dads" as they are commonly called around here. I frankly cannot recommend this game to new players as long as Frontier continues to make the newbie experience a horrific slog to appease some entitled nerd.

:nallears:

• Locked thread