Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kheldarn posted:

I just checked my phone, and I now have Location Sharing, but I seem to have lost the compass icon in top right corner. Any idea how to restore it?

The compass now appears to auto hide if the map is oriented Top/North. If you rotate, it appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The compass now appears to auto hide if the map is oriented Top/North. If you rotate, it appears.

That didn't work for me. If I turned my phone sideways, the map changed orientation, but no compass. If I set my phone down, and turned it left or right, the blue dot showed the orientation was changing, but still no compas.

I guess this is what I get for not updating G+ and/or rebooting.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kheldarn posted:

That didn't work for me. If I turned my phone sideways, the map changed orientation, but no compass. If I set my phone down, and turned it left or right, the blue dot showed the orientation was changing, but still no compas.

I guess this is what I get for not updating G+ and/or rebooting.

He means changing the orientation of the map, not the phone. In other words, use two fingers on the map and twist.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

He means changing the orientation of the map, not the phone. In other words, use two fingers on the map and twist.

Oh. That worked. Now I feel sheepish. Thanks!

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
When Hangouts started offering SMS Support, it was almost perfect for me. Everyone I know happens to use an iphone, and the few people who don't seem to be fine with the standard Messaging app. Throughout the last few years, I've only been able to convince one person to start using Hangouts exclusively, and it's been wonderful.
So now that hangouts is removing SMS Support, I tried Whatsapp finally, and it seems to do everything hangouts could do but better. But no one I know is on it. When I tried to convince my friend who uses Hangouts to switch to Whatsapp, he's convinced that it provides nothing over Hangouts.

What are my options here? Is facebook messenger really the only fully integrated cross platform messaging available now?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WeX Majors posted:

When Hangouts started offering SMS Support, it was almost perfect for me. Everyone I know happens to use an iphone, and the few people who don't seem to be fine with the standard Messaging app. Throughout the last few years, I've only been able to convince one person to start using Hangouts exclusively, and it's been wonderful.
So now that hangouts is removing SMS Support, I tried Whatsapp finally, and it seems to do everything hangouts could do but better. But no one I know is on it. When I tried to convince my friend who uses Hangouts to switch to Whatsapp, he's convinced that it provides nothing over Hangouts.

What are my options here? Is facebook messenger really the only fully integrated cross platform messaging available now?

You don't really have any options. It's an exercise in frustration trying to get all your friends to use the app you want them to for messaging. Yes, you have to use a bunch of different apps. Yes, it sucks. Yes, all these tech companies are sorry sacks of poo poo for not converging on an open standard for messaging.

On a related note, I saw a idiotic article on The Verge (surprise!) come across my RSS feeds recently about how messaging fragmentation doesn't matter because you can just respond from notifications. Their argument boiled down to the "fact" that Androids notification system was the thing that tied them all together.

That's a goddamn idiotic argument. At best, its a bandaid over this shitshow. The main retort of many possible retorts is: What if I want to send a message?

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Replying from notifications that won't show past a certain amount of the text if you have more than one notification, including harmless ones like "battery fully charged" and "light traffic in your area"? I think I've used that a grand total of about 5 times.

I can't believe that Imessage now goes back to being the Best Messaging App, just because Google decided to gently caress up a perfectly serviceable app.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Is anyone else having all sorts of old/unwanted contacts show up when trying to share location in the new Maps feature? My wife shows up like three times, as does another friend I tried it out with. Each of them only have a single entry in my contacts app. I think the extra entries in the maps sharing may be unused email addresses that I've merged long ago. But even if so, the Maps sharing doesn't give any indication which is which, so I just get to guess which "Bob Smith" I should send it to. Guess right and they get a notification, guess wrong they get an email to a dead account.

Seems kind of odd given that sharing across Android has become pretty smart and streamlined, but a new feature rolled out in an existing app inexplicably works differently.

See: thread title.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

incogneato posted:

Is anyone else having all sorts of old/unwanted contacts show up when trying to share location in the new Maps feature? My wife shows up like three times, as does another friend I tried it out with. Each of them only have a single entry in my contacts app. I think the extra entries in the maps sharing may be unused email addresses that I've merged long ago. But even if so, the Maps sharing doesn't give any indication which is which, so I just get to guess which "Bob Smith" I should send it to. Guess right and they get a notification, guess wrong they get an email to a dead account.

Seems kind of odd given that sharing across Android has become pretty smart and streamlined, but a new feature rolled out in an existing app inexplicably works differently.

See: thread title.

I've got the same issue. And yes, it's merged contacts.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WeX Majors posted:

Replying from notifications that won't show past a certain amount of the text if you have more than one notification, including harmless ones like "battery fully charged" and "light traffic in your area"? I think I've used that a grand total of about 5 times.

I can't believe that Imessage now goes back to being the Best Messaging App, just because Google decided to gently caress up a perfectly serviceable app.

"Battery fully charged" sounds like a Samsung innovation, it certainly isn't stock. Also iMessage always was the best messaging app.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

LastInLine posted:

"Battery fully charged" sounds like a Samsung innovation, it certainly isn't stock. Also iMessage always was the best messaging app.

Yeah, on both my Samsung tablets (Tab 3 7.0 and Tab Pro 12.2) it'll ping and tell me the battery is at 100%.

<insert S7 explosion/fire notification joke here>

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have used iMessage on a work iphone recently and I can't stand it. In terms of ease of use and integration sure it's the best by far, and Google needs to smarten the gently caress up and follow their lead. But it's an ugly lovely less functional app, I would take Hangouts/Android Messages/Allo/even WhatsApp any day of the week.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Thermopyle posted:

On a related note, I saw a idiotic article on The Verge (surprise!) come across my RSS feeds recently about how messaging fragmentation doesn't matter because you can just respond from notifications. Their argument boiled down to the "fact" that Androids notification system was the thing that tied them all together.

That's a goddamn idiotic argument. At best, its a bandaid over this shitshow. The main retort of many possible retorts is: What if I want to send a message?

I hadn't read that but they said the same thing on the Vergecast. Yeah, I had the same question. I guess nobody sends the initial message?

I always wonder who is the holdout. I mean, everyone seems to have all the apps because their friends are fragmented, but at the same time, no one is willing to switch apps?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have used iMessage on a work iphone recently and I can't stand it. In terms of ease of use and integration sure it's the best by far, and Google needs to smarten the gently caress up and follow their lead. But it's an ugly lovely less functional app, I would take Hangouts/Android Messages/Allo/even WhatsApp any day of the week.

I agree with you on this as well but it's hard to fault e2e encryption + SMS fallback. Honestly iMessage can't do the one thing I absolutely require which is a web app so even if it were available to me I probably wouldn't use it (being stuck on Windows at work).

I think the most frustrating problem about the drat messaging thing is that everyone knows the solution. It'd be one thing if it were complicated or nuanced in any way but no, it's like watching a mentally handicapped kid trying to assemble one of those four piece jigsaw puzzles of a dinosaur where they all fit in the plate and we've been watching Google try to do it for like five years now and they still don't have any of the pieces in there. Just put the loving head in that long part! NO THAT'S THE TAIL GODDAMNIT!!!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I agree with you on this as well but it's hard to fault e2e encryption + SMS fallback. Honestly iMessage can't do the one thing I absolutely require which is a web app so even if it were available to me I probably wouldn't use it (being stuck on Windows at work).

I think the most frustrating problem about the drat messaging thing is that everyone knows the solution. It'd be one thing if it were complicated or nuanced in any way but no, it's like watching a mentally handicapped kid trying to assemble one of those four piece jigsaw puzzles of a dinosaur where they all fit in the plate and we've been watching Google try to do it for like five years now and they still don't have any of the pieces in there. Just put the loving head in that long part! NO THAT'S THE TAIL GODDAMNIT!!!

Yeah, this is so insanely frustrating. The solution to make Android users happy is right loving there and Google is being pants on head retarded about it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, this is so insanely frustrating. The solution to make Android users happy is right loving there and Google is being pants on head retarded about it.

MARKET SEGMENTATION :suicide:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I hate Join. I hate it so, so much. Pushbullet was so amazing and spoiled me in how simple and seamlessly it worked. Now I'm left with Join, but it wastes way more time to get working than it could ever possibly save so there's no point in continuing with it.

Are there any alternatives? My most used features are shared clipboard and sending a webpage to another device.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Works for me and was pretty easy to set up?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Teeter posted:

I hate Join. I hate it so, so much. Pushbullet was so amazing and spoiled me in how simple and seamlessly it worked. Now I'm left with Join, but it wastes way more time to get working than it could ever possibly save so there's no point in continuing with it.

Are there any alternatives? My most used features are shared clipboard and sending a webpage to another device.

Agreed, Join is awful, I went back to Pushbullet and just deal with the free limitations. I wouldn't mind paying for it if I use it more in the future.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

When it works it does what's needed. Unfortunately, it seems to rarely work and I have a list of gripes with it. The biggest of all is that it needs me to re-authenticate or log in nearly every time it's used and that's unacceptable due to the time it wastes. Plus, "Join" is such a terribly generic name that I struggle to find any support online for it.

I'll probably switch back to Pushbullet for the linksharing and accept that synced clipboard is out of the question since I don't want to pay a monthly for just that feature. I'm mostly curious if there are any competitors at this point or if it's still just those two options.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 29, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't think I've ever had to reauthenticate once

Aside from a few issues that ended up being caused by me restoring it from TB it's been rock solid

If you're looking for support post on the Google plus page, the dev is pretty responsive from what I've seen on there

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I just pay the $4/mo for Pushbullet. I got plenty of use out of it for free over the years and I use it constantly while I'm at work. I think it would be one of the apps that I missed the most if it were to disappear, so it's worth the cost. $4 a month is nothing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I have literally never had a problem with Join and I use it a dozen times a day. With several android devices and Chrome on 3 PCs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I don't think I've ever had to reauthenticate once

Aside from a few issues that ended up being caused by me restoring it from TB it's been rock solid

If you're looking for support post on the Google plus page, the dev is pretty responsive from what I've seen on there

Thermopyle posted:

I have literally never had a problem with Join and I use it a dozen times a day. With several android devices and Chrome on 3 PCs.

This is my experience as well, from my work PCs, through three different phones, and my home Mac, it works perfectly all the time with never a hiccup.

I mostly use it for sending my clipboard to my Mac (for 2FA tokens mainly) and for SMS forwarding and replying. I don't use it to send files or anything (and can't understand why one would, what with the cloud existing) but for what I use it for, it works great.

I have some complaints about UI and UX, like I wouldn't recommend it to a non-nerd, but it does do what it sets out to do.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Google is getting a new cross-platform sign in page for both mobile and web!
It's going to "Have a cleaner, simpler look" and "Make the sign-in process faster" than their current layout which is just entering your username + password on a basically blank page. I'm utterly afraid of what this could possibly mean!

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7338427?visit_id=0-636264640487875149-2881906709&p=signin_newlook&rd=1

If there's one thing I think Google needs to work on, it's their sign in page being too complex.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 30, 2017

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
Checked the last 7 pages and didn't see anything related, but I am in the construction trades and get a lot of prints sent to me in PDF format.

What I am looking for is an app that will let me measure a distance off of the PDF files with a custom set scale just like the desktop Adobe reader. Installed quite a few PDF apps and have yet to find one capable of doing it.

I'd really love to continue using my Android tablet over purchasing a Windows one just to be able to measure a loving line on a PDF.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Any idea why whatsapp has no video calls? On moto g 5.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
The only time I've had to re-authenticate Join is when I changed the name on my Google account. Actually the chrome extensions had to be completely re-installed, but the apps just needed re-authenticating :iiam:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I lost my Join license apparently, so that's cool, it thinks I'm on trial.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I mean I'd love to fix it for you, but messaging the dev will probably work out better than letting us know here

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh I know, but I'm just jumping on the bandwagon that says it's a pretty janky app atm. Otherwise, it's pretty useful when it works.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Join is one of those apps that is just a thankless job. It's maintained by one guy, tries to do a shitload of things (many of which I suspect aren't used by anybody at all), and competes with a subscription service that's established and polished.

These kind of apps pop up from time to time and they never last because the developer just eventually burns out. I've never understood why these guys don't just take the one main feature (or the top segment of them) and just do a really good job implementing those features.

If I'm the Join dude, I do notification mirroring, SMS support, and maybe sending a file and that's it. I don't care if I could do all the crazy poo poo Join does, I just do those three and make the UI as good as possible. I bet that would keep 90% of the people who use Join now but they'd all be way happier with the app.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
That would get me to uninstall Join real quickly. Almost all of my Join usage is for pushing links to my phone or to another PC, and occasionally pushing data to my phone's clipboard. It does both of those things really well, and so I continue to use it and have no regrets having paid for it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The official Twitter app is becoming annoying, especially now that it hides the @-replies by deafult. (Twitter! Why gently caress everything up?)

Any suggestions regarding an alternate Twitter app? The thread's OP suggests Fenix as best-in-class, does that still apply?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That would get me to uninstall Join real quickly. Almost all of my Join usage is for pushing links to my phone or to another PC, and occasionally pushing data to my phone's clipboard. It does both of those things really well, and so I continue to use it and have no regrets having paid for it.

This is all I use Join for.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

The official Twitter app is becoming annoying, especially now that it hides the @-replies by deafult. (Twitter! Why gently caress everything up?)

Any suggestions regarding an alternate Twitter app? The thread's OP suggests Fenix as best-in-class, does that still apply?

Talon?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Mikl posted:

I personally like Flamingo better than any of the other alternatives. It's not perfect, but it's the closest I feel any of the third-party apps get to giving me a clean space to read and navigate my timeline. It's still mindblowing that Android still doesn't have something on the level of Tweetbot, honestly.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Seconding Flamingo. It's by the same developer as Weather Timeline, so it looks great and is wonderfully free of annoying or distracting crap. Keeps getting better too (such as the recent change to how threads are displayed).
Great dark theme too
:goonsay:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mikl posted:

I still like Fenix more than any other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So apparently some rear end in a top hat signed my number up for every loving spammer on the planet and I am now inundated with spam marketing calls and texts. I went and registered myself on the do not call list, and they mentioned that some apps can be used to block spam calls and messages. Anyone here aware of anything like that? These messages are getting out of hand.