Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I tamed one horse and rode it to a stable and never touched another horse again for the rest of the game. There's no point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Did you guys find yourself using horses much. I think I've spent like an hour on horseback out of the 30+ I've played.

No, there's no point to horses. I have a sweet-rear end glider and there are mountains in any direction I can look. The only time I'd like a horse is for the desert, because it's a vast featureless field that takes forever to get around. I get why they're in the game: people expect horses in Zelda, and they're sort of a neat thing to be able to do as a minor distraction, but the player's vehicle is given to them at the end of the tutorial. It's disappointing that there's a button on the controller dedicated to the horse.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Y'know, if this game takes place in the branch of the timeline hinted at in the memory where Zelda gives Link the Master Sword, I could definitely see why Ganon became a hate-fueled goo monster. The game is implied to happen in Twilight Princess's timeline branch, which is the only branch where Ganon just gets curbstomped over and over without even coming close to his goal. Dude never even gets to SEE the Triforce, he just immediately gets arrested, put to death, and sent to the twilight realm, which kicks off a series of nothing but failures. If I were in his position I'd probably turn into 100% Organic Malice Preserves too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Most of my horse usage was earlier into the game when there was more open stretches I had not explored yet. Later I would occasionally used horses, if I knew I'd be spending a good chunk of time in the same area sticking to an open expanse, roads, or it just happened to be faster to grab a horse from a stable and abandon it than to run/glide from the nearest shrine.

But you spend so much time being a mountain climbing badass going over things rather than around, that it's hard to make consistent usage of them. Especially in many areas of the game that are just not horse friendly in structure or weather.

There is a stable conveniently located in the jungle, but it's made up mostly of cliffs and waterfalls so you can't really bring it anywhere. A horse would have been a quick trip up the mountain to goron city, but they would just die. So even when I WANT to use a horse, I can't if I ever want to get where I'm going.

...That reminds me, if I could own a Sandseal I totally would have gotten a lot of usage out of that just due to the persistence of owned animals. Even if you rent a Sandseal over grabbing one in the wild, the bastards just vanish after you clear a shrine :argh: "Okay, I'm parking you ten feet in clear view of the shrine entrance. You better be here when I get back... Damnit."

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
My kids like to watch me ride the horses and I keep telling them that, unfortunately, fast travel between shrines/towers is just way faster. At the beginning of the game, I get how having a horse can get you from A to B faster than running but the biggest strike against horses is they can't climb. Climbing is the lifeblood of this game and horses can't do it so...welp.

Once you fill in the map with Shrines, I don't find myself using horses almost at all but I will say the stable-system is pretty cool and there are enough of them (in decent locations) that if I wanted to travel by horse wherever, I could do so easily.

Perhaps Hard Mode will only have fast travel between unlocked towers and not shrines. Holy poo poo that would make the game more difficult.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

So, I can't do this because I loaned my switch to a friend, but the thread has a new side quest:

http://i.imgur.com/HP1hMZxh.gif

AIRSHIP!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Horses have their uses but even if you don't warp it's really easy to get to the point where they can't reach you anymore.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

my dick will never be a contender; it will never Place; it cannot win

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Now that I just like to play the postgame where I goof around Hyrule with no clear objective, I really love horses. They're a fun way to play when you just want to view the world and run into enemies and follow simple paths. I've already done a ridiculous amount of climbing things. Now I just wanna riiiiiiide.

Plus it's fun to see what kind of places you can get a horse into, and whether you can get one back out. Spring of Courage was a tough one to escape.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I tried but is it possible to scale death mountain all the way to the top

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hi, I explored the whole map, got all 120 shrines and I used my horse all the time. The map is really big and there are a lot of flat open areas. I rode everywhere I could.

BJPaskoff posted:

It's disappointing that there's a button on the controller dedicated to the horse.

Have to agree with this though. This was a waste of a button. It would make much, much more sense if horse calling was still magical and it just appeared near you, but since it doesn't I would have liked half a dozen other, more important functions to take its place.

I don't understand the design decision anyways. Instead of the player being able to call their horse anywhere they gave this ability to the stables who can apparently make treks to the most remote regions of the world and have your horse back at that stable in a magical instant. I suppose they wanted the stables to have a purpose and the player being able to magically summon a horse lessened their importance. But I think they could have made stables important in other ways. Give a horse rest that provides buffs to stamina or speed, etc. Plus stables are full of important people who have quests you need to pick up.

Outside of that, a big selling point of horses to me was avoiding a lot of the poo poo you'd otherwise have to put up with if you were walking somewhere. I'm pretty sure I never got attacked by the random yiga if I was on a horse and I'm pretty sure skeletons don't spawn at night. Can't 100% prove this though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Both of those things happen on horseback. I nearly lost a solid color horse I was on my way to register because a Yiga man decided that he wanted to fight me!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Kashuno posted:

I don't think I tried but is it possible to scale death mountain all the way to the top

When you free Divine Beast Vah Lizard you do this. There's a winding staircase to​ the top.

But you can't get to it until you start the mission.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Absolutely.

There's even a sign at the top that says: "Hyrule's Best Peaks #1: Death Mountain" or something to that effect.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

FooF posted:

Absolutely.

There's even a sign at the top that says: "Hyrule's Best Peaks #1: Death Mountain" or something to that effect.

I was pissed there wasn't a shrine or even a Korok up there.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

ChaosArgate posted:

Both of those things happen on horseback. I nearly lost a solid color horse I was on my way to register because a Yiga man decided that he wanted to fight me!

poo poo. I rode my horse all the time and I never saw that. Guess I got lucky.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

veni veni veni posted:

Did you guys find yourself using horses much. I think I've spent like an hour on horseback out of the 30+ I've played.

I got the royal horse and tack because quest, and a black one because pretty pretty and I had the monster saddle and bridle, but I hardly ever ride the things.

I'm still on the lookout for an all-blue or all-pink to dress up with fancy manes though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

I spent a decent amount of time on horseback, mostly when moving around Central Hyrule.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
The whistle button is incredibly useful for both baiting enemies and also to perform a glitch where you can sprint while gaining stamina

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

im gonna have to try this now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I agree I'd use horses a lot more if you could call them from anywhere. Their speed is nice but I usually ditch them within 2 minutes when I see something on a mountain I want to check out. And going to a stable to get a new one often is more of a hassle than it's worth.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
It's weird to think of how that was the first thing I wanted to do in this game, but then I freed the DB and left. I forgot all about it until just now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I've registered three horses, and the first one was because at the beginning of the game I beelined south to the ocean and started going counter-clockwise along the beach, and eventually came up on a trio of Bokoblins on horseback that could all one-shot me, so when I finally managed to make a stand and wreck their poo poo I stole one of their horses. I named him Sand Bass after registering him (because he was the sand bastard). I then stabled him for 40 hours until Hebra, and that poor bastard is still stuck up there in the snow because why the hell would you use horses when I can teleport everywhere and horses can't climb?

The few times I used him or one of the others I found myself constantly stopping to get off to check things anyway.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Horses are good for some areas that are super flat and open, as well as if you decide to travel along a road somewhere and don't care too much about picking up every bug and lizard on the roadside.

Basically, if there's a stable there's probably an area where it would be kind of nice to have a horse nearby. That's why Hyrule Field has so many around the periphery.

I know personally when I was exploring early on, I fell in the canyon in the southwest that takes you to the desert and really wished I had a horse. The cliffs are huge, it's a pretty long walk, and there's very little in the way of resources and stuff to gather on the way.

That said, I do wish they had included something to let you summon your horse anywhere like Epona's Song in OoT/Majora. Having to visit a stable and depart from there is too limiting.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Also horseback combat is worse than it's ever been and needs to be left in the past along with all the other poo poo that got killed off

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Horse should of been a goat and been able to climb. Actually when I first did Zora I thought each Divine Beast was going to give me a new mount type to keep like Sand Seal for sand/Bird for flying/Lizard for Climbing and Sidon for bed.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Horses fall under the category of "great for the second playthrough" imo

and I'm ending up finding a bunch of poo poo I didn't know was there anyways from using roads instead of taking direct-if-meandering routes straight over mountains and poo poo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
10,000? Lame.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I was positively floored by the amount of things I completely missed because of my resolute refusal to use roads ever at all. Horses are cool and good and you'd be amazed at how fast they can get you places. You don't even have to steer them!

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
My natural tendency is to off-road, moving from point A to point B in a straight line, disregarding height/elevation.

As such, I end up doing dumb things like scaling Death Mountain, munching fruit salads while on fire, desperately trying to find someone who can sell me fireproof pants. If I used the roads with a horse, the trip wouldn't have been nearly as stupid.

So now I make a point of taking the roads on horseback and talking to the people travelling on them or camping near them. Also, I'm still looking for chestnuts and bays to fill out my stable of triple crown winners. I'm disgusted that horse names can only have 9 characters.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 29, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know, after letting you draw on your map in Phantom Hourglass, I wonder why Nintendo didn't let you do that in Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD. It'd be cool to be able to scribble some notes on my sea map, for example, like draw a little bomb in a square so I remember to go back to that island when I get bombs.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BJPaskoff posted:

It's disappointing that there's a button on the controller dedicated to the horse.
I dunno, I think it's pretty cool there's a controller button dedicated to both speedrunning and breaking your stealth while trying to switch weapons

Drewjitsu posted:

So, I can't do this because I loaned my switch to a friend, but the thread has a new side quest:

http://i.imgur.com/HP1hMZxh.gif

AIRSHIP!
Sadly air boulders are a much better craft due to rotation

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Also horseback combat is worse than it's ever been and needs to be left in the past along with all the other poo poo that got killed off

Get a spear and suddenly you destroy everything from horseback as if you're playing Mount and Blade with cheats

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Combat from a horse is bad. Running you horse into a crowd, backflipping into slow-mo mulit bomb arrow barrage (possibly killing the horse) to start a combat is super fun and good.
Found the giant horse naturally before rumors and slowly rode into everything knocking everything over. Which was also good.

What happens in the final battle if you never tame a horse?

Harrow posted:

Y'know, after letting you draw on your map in Phantom Hourglass, I wonder why Nintendo didn't let you do that in Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD. It'd be cool to be able to scribble some notes on my sea map, for example, like draw a little bomb in a square so I remember to go back to that island when I get bombs.

Seriously. Nintendo got serious about letting me mark up my map again the game after 2 I played with touchscreen/stylus in my hand the whole time.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 29, 2017

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Welp. 120 shrines, 4 beasts, and killed Ganon.

This was seriously the most satisfying game I've ever played.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
72 shrines in and I think I've gotten all the shrines that are "out in the open", i.e. not buried in quests or hidden in bombable walls or whatnot. Of course I keep saying that and finding new ones and even an entire new town, but this time I really mean it!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
In hindsight having shrines tied to shrine quests not automatically complete its associated quest if you never started it was a good decision

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Welp. 120 shrines, 4 beasts, and killed Ganon.

This was seriously the most satisfying game I've ever played.
Now just get all the armor and upgrades :getin:

I kinda wish I visited Hateno earlier like they wanted me to, I missed so many treasure chests already in all my wandering around. I couldn't give a gently caress about the Koroks but I love the little gift boxes scattered all over the place.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Bombadilillo posted:

What happens in the final battle if you never tame a horse?

Nobody knows because even the speed runners tame a horse to get to the castle faster. If you make it through the entire game without ever mounting a horse and pressing L then you are not one for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well someone ought to ask a runner to do a no horse run just to find out.