Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

You know, speaking of Agrias, have they ever replicated the effect of her first normal SB (Cleansing Strike, 3hit+ATK&MAG Breakdown)? I know a ton of other people have gotten breaks, but I don't see an effect like that one anywhere.

I've been playing off and on a bit even before now (I actually got Yuna's BSB2 and Orlandeau's OSB on lark pulls when they came up), and it's been good to see that even a year on, Agrias can still neuter even D180 bosses when paired with Ramza. I'm very tempted to pull of Banner 4 just to give my Agrias even more ridiculous kill power.

Still not sure what I'd do for Nemesis, though, since I have no Last Stand effects.

Yeah, by a few characters:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/4y185c/reverse_wall_stacking_those_debuffs/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SpaceDrake posted:

You know, speaking of Agrias, have they ever replicated the effect of her first normal SB (Cleansing Strike, 3hit+ATK&MAG Breakdown)? I know a ton of other people have gotten breaks, but I don't see an effect like that one anywhere.

Setzer's BSB has an AoE (-40%) version on its entry, and both Heroic Harmony (Mog Unique) and Goddess' Bell (Gordon Unique) do the same thing.

The single target -50% version isn't on nearly as many relics just because most of those ATK/MAG breakdowns tend to be AoE in general.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 29, 2017

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

pichupal posted:

I made a list of upcoming fire boosting equipment, but long story short: there are only two weapons Refia can use coming up (Locke's BSB, Lann's BSB), then Yda's BSB on the XIV Cid Banner.

Physical:
Locke's Thief's Knife (Dagger, BSB) - Locke OSB 1 (The Current Event)

Locke's BSB dagger doesn't have a boost to fire damage on it as someone that pulled it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Huh, neat list, thank you. So it has gotten equal potency versions on a few more characters, interesting.

Agrias is still core for me tho, so I'm content. :v:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Valth001 posted:

Locke's BSB dagger doesn't have a boost to fire damage on it as someone that pulled it.

Ah whoops, I saw it mentioned in an earlier post and stuck it in. I'll take it out now, thanks!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Valth001 posted:

Oopsie. I got Vivi's BSB and Terra's OSB in near succession so I've kind of lost track of what has what.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

SpaceDrake posted:

I've been playing off and on a bit even before now (I actually got Yuna's BSB2 and Orlandeau's OSB on lark pulls when they came up), and it's been good to see that even a year on, Agrias can still neuter even D180 bosses when paired with Ramza. I'm very tempted to pull of Banner 4 just to give my Agrias even more ridiculous kill power.
It's been on a few things, actually, and will be replicated more in the future! It has AOE versions on Mog's old Heroic Harmony and Cait Sith's Toy Soldier, and is improved on (more damage) by Fang's Highwind and Ingus's upcoming new SSB. Nabaat also gets a random-target version for her SSB.

e: Ugh, way beaten!

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I usually don't do MP with pubbies but I was sitting around while my wife was reading our son bedtime stories and decided to give phantom train a shot and easily one shot both of them with different pubbie teams.

For the d200 I ended up with the same guy controlling the other 3 accounts. They were named jdm, lil jdm, and baby jdm. They were also pretty much perfectly sync'd up as far as abilities. It was pretty fun.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

It's funny, I never get anything I chase but I luck into stuff I don't know is good at the time. Cid Raines, Vaan, Ashe, if I had known what I was getting when I got them I'd have been much more stoked.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Just curious since I just spent some time looking up Earth boosting for Maria, would any one else want something like this for other elements?

Fire Boosting Equipment posted:

Magical:
Krile's Fire Lash (Whip, SSB)- 2nd Anniversary Phase 3
Vivi's High Mage Staff (6* Staff, OSB) - Beatrix 2
Vivi's Fire Staff (Staff, BSB) - Beatrix 2
Braska's Bevelle Staff (Staff, Enfire SSB) - Tidus LCSB 1

Physical:
Lann's Fritt Mirage (Thrown, BSB) - World of Final Fantasy

Armor:
Refia's Shura Gloves (Armlet, BSB) - 2nd Anniversary Phase 3
Edge's Red Jacket (Light Armor, Last Stand SSB) - The After Years 2

~~Past Extreme Fest~~
Magical:

Papalymo's Lilith Rod (Rod, BSB) - XIV Cid 2
Braska's High Summoner's Elder Staff (Staff, BSB) - Rikku USB 2

Physical:
Yda's Kaiser Knuckles (Fist, BSB) - XIV Cid 1
Seifer's Almasy Flametongue (6* Sword, USB) - Squall USB 1
Gladiolus's Blade of Brennaere (6* Sword, OSB) - FFXV (His sword boosts fire, but his OSB is Earth)

Armor:
Vivi's Hat (Hat, Legend Materia Relic) - Steiner OSB 2
Vincent's Glove (Armlet, BSB) - Dirge of Cerberus 1
Rubicante's Gloves (Armlet, SSB) - Edge USB 1
Edge's Red Jacket (Light Armor, Last Stand SSB) - Edge USB 1

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Doing multiplayer with goons in discord has been a ton of fun, if anyone is struggling to do the MP. Everyone is pretty chill and helped me kill the Apoc Shadow Lord like three times because my ipad decided to repeatedly crash when we had him at like 3% health.

I'm back up to 50 mythril again after clearing out some more realm dungeons and record missions I had put off doing. I could really see making a third attempt to nab Tidus OSB/Yuna BSB (I'd be happy with Faris USB or Quisitis BSB as well), throw it at the madness that is Banner 4 (Although I'm likely to just get more dupe Hamelins), or just focus on saving up for stuff in the future.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Shadow Lord is actually pretty fun with a good group. Just need to have the right mix of mitigation, physical damage, and magical damage (or enough ninja damage). And group members with a sense of timing.

Deployment Tactics is pretty great for it, but it does make timing form changes trickier.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Since I realized it was going to be a pain in the rear end to play enough to unlock cid's first memory lode or whatever, I got 3 of them today and just forcibly unlocked them. Win!

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HPanda posted:

(or enough ninja damage).

I'm impatient for Edge and Yuffie's BSBs to recur. I know Edge's BSB is coming back pretty soon at least. If I get good water-team gear in X I might budget a pull or two on the FFIV event.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Draw update: I had 4 draws available for anniversary and decided banner 2 and 4 were my targets.

Banner 2: 2/11 Yuna BSB and Zell SSB. I felt alright about this and was going to save 3 draws for banner 4, until I felt lucky.

Don't believe your feelings.

1/11 Zell SSB

Positive Edit:

The next two batches of MC3s are going to be great! I am looking forward to high level Cid's to RW, plus the following batch has Sazh, Raijin, and Shadow for my own use.

Full list for next:
Matoya, Josef, Dark Knight Cecil, Exdeath, Setzer, Yuffie, Irvine, Quina, Wakka, Basch, Raines

And next month's:
Emperor, Edward, Palom, Porom, Shadow, Cyan, Kefka, Cid (VII), Reno, Vincent, Laguna, Fujin, Raijin, Steiner, Freya, Kimahri, Paine, Larsa, Sazh, Noel

Oryp fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 29, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Emperor was literally just added and still gets his MC3 faster than my boy Braska :(

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Emperor was literally just added and still gets his MC3 faster than my boy Braska :(
Every character from this point forward has an MC3 available right from the start.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

speaking of level 99 rm's, is terra's (if i'm remembering correctly it's a flat +mag boost) better than devotion for the same purpose?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

IIRC nothing is better than Devotion because it was a mistake when they were just starting to figure things out.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Yeah, this is correct. Devotion is +20% Mag, while Terra's is +13%.

There are a couple of MC3 ones that are +15% Magic, I know of Serah (+15% Mag, -10% Def) and Echo (+15%, start Blinded), but they might have added some more in newer MC3 batches, haven't checked in a while.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I was looking at the BSB Teir list and these are the BSB's that I have that are top teir.

Vaan
Shadow
Luneth
Basch
Zell
Edea
Y'shtola
Refia

I know you really can't make a one size fits all team but I was thinking something like,

Vann
Luneth
Y'shtola
Refia

+1 other would be pretty drat good for most situations. What do you guys think? I'm really terrible at this phone game so I'm just trying to get things straight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I can't help myself and pulled on Banner 2 :smith:

3/11, Dupe Exdeath SSB, dupe Quistis' Dress, and Dreamstage

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

So I was looking at the BSB Teir list and these are the BSB's that I have that are top teir.

Vaan
Shadow
Luneth
Basch
Zell
Edea
Y'shtola
Refia

I know you really can't make a one size fits all team but I was thinking something like,

Vann
Luneth
Y'shtola
Refia

+1 other would be pretty drat good for most situations. What do you guys think? I'm really terrible at this phone game so I'm just trying to get things straight.

If most means like <U+ Battles, then most likely yes you would be able to use that team for most situations. The main things that'll come up for most battles is the arbitrary Mastery requirements, most of which tend to be under various breakdowns. Vaan should be able to cover most if not all of those himself. Luneth can at the very least Spellblade various Elemental weaknesses for those requirements.

In >U+ battles, things get trickier as enemy stats go way up, you usually need to target weaknesses more, and defense(wall) and offense (boosts) get more important. If you have Ramza's Shout or something similar Natively, that'll go a long way to help you.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm impatient for Edge and Yuffie's BSBs to recur. I know Edge's BSB is coming back pretty soon at least. If I get good water-team gear in X I might budget a pull or two on the FFIV event.

As far as I remember, Yuffie's BSB doesn't recur. In fact her only relic that's appearing in the next six months is her USB on Extreme Fest.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

If most means like <U+ Battles, then most likely yes you would be able to use that team for most situations. The main things that'll come up for most battles is the arbitrary Mastery requirements, most of which tend to be under various breakdowns. Vaan should be able to cover most if not all of those himself. Luneth can at the very least Spellblade various Elemental weaknesses for those requirements.

In >U+ battles, things get trickier as enemy stats go way up, you usually need to target weaknesses more, and defense(wall) and offense (boosts) get more important. If you have Ramza's Shout or something similar Natively, that'll go a long way to help you.

Ok perfect thanks! Yeah I do have Ramzas shout so that should help quite a bit.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

MarcusSA posted:

Vaan
Shadow
Luneth
Basch
Zell
Edea
Y'shtola
Refia

Vann
Luneth
Y'shtola
Refia

If you're saving your last spot for another Support-type of character, since Vaan's BSB covers MAG & DEF and he can't use Full Break, you could go with Zell instead of Refia or Luneth since Zell's BSB includes a party +crit% buff. Ramza with Shout would be ideal as imsosmrt mentioned because he could provide the Boostga along with Power Breakdown + Full Break.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Are Edge and Yuffie's BSBs really that great? I pulled both in various lucky draws recently but have only used them against water weak bosses. I guess I haven't really used ninjas, how can I make them better than, say, Locke w/his BSB?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sega 32X posted:

Are Edge and Yuffie's BSBs really that great? I pulled both in various lucky draws recently but have only used them against water weak bosses. I guess I haven't really used ninjas, how can I make them better than, say, Locke w/his BSB?

Ninjas are kind of tricky to use because some of their attacks use ATK for mainstat and some use MAG. Fortunately, the latter have a very low soft cap (370), and ninja weapons usually have MAG on them anyway. They also ignore enemy RES, which makes them get better as fights get tougher. Hit the soft cap through stats and buffs, and then stack as many damage multipliers as you can. They really shine when they can exploit an elemental weakness.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Sega 32X posted:

The notable benefit to 3/4 ninja BSBs (not Thancred's, oddly) is that their relevant high-damage commands are fastcast and also profit from a corresponding enelement aura. Shadow's is perhaps the best due to its instacast entry, but beyond that and the differing elements Edge's and Yuffie's are quite similar. (Shadow also has an edge [ha!] in that he can use Lifesiphon, but in practice a fastcast command on a BSB will make it nearly self-sustaining before factoring damage.)

Shadow: Instacast AoE dark+non entry/dark aura, fastcast single-target 4-hit dark+non, fastcast AoE 2-hit dark+non
Edge: Single-target water+non entry/water aura, fastcast single-target 4-hit water+non, fastcast AoE 2-hit water+non
Yuffie: AoE water+non entry/water aura, fastcast single-target 4-hit water+non, water+non Mug Bloodlust

Each instance of the first command ("fastcast single-target 4-hit [element]+non") has the same damage stats, by the way.

Fister Roboto posted:

Ninjas are kind of tricky to use because some of their attacks use ATK for mainstat and some use MAG. Fortunately, the latter have a very low soft cap (370), and ninja weapons usually have MAG on them anyway. They also ignore enemy RES, which makes them get better as fights get tougher. Hit the soft cap through stats and buffs, and then stack as many damage multipliers as you can. They really shine when they can exploit an elemental weakness.
There's a difference between NIN-typed abilities (which matters for counters and the like) and abilities in the Ninja school (which matters for certain RMs and Record Sphere bonuses) that are either physical damage/PHY-typed or magical damage/NIN-typed. As it happens, the ninja BSBs mentioned previously fit into the latter category as physical abilities/PHY-typed. (Technically, Fujin's BSB fits neither definition, as her BSB's commands are considered Black Magic and thus BLK-typed.)

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 29, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

speaking of multipliers, Edge can Record Dive to get +15% total ninja damage and +3% damage vs. weakness, making him the best ninja in the game

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Also Edge's USB makes him the new King of DPS. He can poo poo out an OSB worth of damage at near instant cast speeds using a pair of 5 star abilities.

His USB is water/thunder damage on entry and EX Mode Wild Moon. Wild Moon gives Edge Quickcast 1 after dealing water damage and also causes him to automatically deal 1-2 218 potency water/thunder/non physical hits immediately after using a Ninja-school ability while under the effect of Physical Blink (the 2nd hit comes when he's got 2 stacks of Physical Blink). In the same event which introduces his USB, there are two new Ninja abilities: Water Mirage, which deals a single physical water damage hit, grants Physical Blink Stacking Mode (allowing PBlink to stack up to 2) for 15 seconds, and grants one stack of PBlink. There's also Torrent Seal, which is 2-4 hits of 100 potency physical water damage, based on the number of Physical Blink stacks on the user. Edge's Legend Dive, meanwhile, gives him a 35% chance to Doublecast Ninja abilities.

Add all that up and if you're not against a boss which spams AOE physical attacks, Edge gets to do 0.4125 second cast speed 836 potency attacks every turn in EX Mode, with 35% of those being 1236 potency instead. He absolutely shits on any bosses which don't resist water and still does extremely high DPS on any boss where he can set up Water Mirage even if it resists Torrent Seal (he can just use ninja magic instead).

And for the record, the aforementioned +15% Ninja damage from his record dive helps his chase attack. It's Ninja school.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

pichupal posted:

Just curious since I just spent some time looking up Earth boosting for Maria, would any one else want something like this for other elements?

I'd be interested! Looking for Earth boosting equipment, which seems to barely exist out there...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm seeing people on reddit saying they've beaten Nemesis but I just checked and only the 2nd X Record dungeon is open. :confused:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm seeing people on reddit saying they've beaten Nemesis but I just checked and only the 2nd X Record dungeon is open. :confused:

Nemesis has been open the whole time. Synergy is what's unlocked when you beat the Hall of _____ fights

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nemesis has been open the entire time. Beating the dungeons just unlocks Synergy for the listed Realms to make Nemesis easier.

Krad posted:

I'd be interested! Looking for Earth boosting equipment, which seems to barely exist out there...

Well, this is easy enough. Not as simple as poison though (Quistis OSB if it stays on Extreme Fest 2 and 3* VI Rod).

Sad news for Maria coming:

Earth Boosting Equipment posted:

~~Now Until Extreme Fest~~
Physical:
Ingus’s Titan Blade (Sword, SSB) – Cloud of Darkness 1

Other:

Mog’s Earth Bell (Instrument [MND>ATK>MAG], SSB) – Locke/Celes OSB 2

Armor:

Gaia Gear (Robe, Shared Medica) – Relic’s Choice on Tyro Selection 2
Rinoa’s Model (Light Armor, Enearth SSB) – Laguna 2

~~After Extreme Fest~~
Armor:

Rinoa’s Model (Light Armor, Enearth SSB) – Laguna 2

Other:

Mog’s Earth Bell (Instrument [MND>ATK>MAG], SSB) – Sabin 1 (Relm USB Banner)

~~New Magicite Dungeon Items~~
Physical:

Galuf’s Platinum Hammer (6* Hammer, USB) – Fire/Earth Banner
Guy’s Gigantaxe (Axe, BSB) – Fire/Earth Banner

~~Desperation~~

3* Weapons from Draws: Gaia Rod (XII), Golem Staff (III), Gaia Hammer (V)
4* Items from Realm Dungeons: Gaia Vest (III, Robe)

edit: So Maria has three options for Earth boosting: The 3* Gaia Rod, the 5* Gaia Gear from the Tyro's Choice Banner, and going after the Rinoa Model. The free 4* robe is horrible, but if a boss has taunt-able single target attacks, or a lot of gravity based or piercing attacks, it can work.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 29, 2017

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Thanks for that list! I was actually looking for stuff that I could give to Tifa, but, eh... there's no way I'm pulling on any more VIII banners with all the synergy I already have. :smith:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is there some kind of calculator (or even a basic rule of thumb) to know when to choose elemental boosting equipment over a relic with better stats? I know all the equipment is a flat percentage boost to the elemental damage, but I'm bad at math and I can never just eyeball if, say, choosing a piece of +fire gear is worth giving up 30 extra magic or something, especially when you start mixing in faithgas / burst mode / RMs / etc.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there some kind of calculator (or even a basic rule of thumb) to know when to choose elemental boosting equipment over a relic with better stats? I know all the equipment is a flat percentage boost to the elemental damage, but I'm bad at math and I can never just eyeball if, say, choosing a piece of +fire gear is worth giving up 30 extra magic or something, especially when you start mixing in faithgas / burst mode / RMs / etc.

Rule of thumb is that if you'll go over the softcap after buffs, always boost the element.

Below the soft cap, a 20% stat hit is a reasonable rule of thumb for break even where I'd err on the side of the higher stats without a real good reason not to.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

We were just arguing about this on discord a couple hours ago actually!

The best rule of thumb for this is: +20% damage is roughly equivalent to +50 Attack unless you're approaching or exceeding the softcap. For Magic, I believe it's +20% damage ~= +40 Magic below softcap, but I'd have to math it out to be sure and that's a pain.

Regardless of whether you're talking about Attack or Magic, once you go past the softcap it's basically always better to equip the +damage weapon. There's a reason my Ayame in JP has a 3 star Frostbrand welded to her (I don't have any other all-realms +ice weapons she can use, and she can self-buff past the Attack softcap completely naked).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Ice is another really sparse element for boosting equipment, with just Lulu and Snow introducing ice armor for everyone to use. If you got the Ice Rod from the first Tactics events, that's one of the few universal 5* Ice boosting weapons out there,

Oh, and current softcaps:
ATK (Global): ~700
ATK (Japan): 805 (Around Extreme fest I think. Maybe the Gogo Event?)
MAG : 1054 (For reference, the 6-hit thresholds for Maria, Papalymo and Edea's BSB are 1032, 1193 and 1205 MAG. 3-hit Tiamat is 1191)

edit: Ice really is a sparse one.

Ice Boosting Equipment posted:

~~Before Extreme Fest~~
Magical:

Reynn’s Blizz Mirage (Thrown, BSB) – World of Final Fantasy
Lulu’s Magician Mog (Doll, SSB) – Tidus LCSB 1

Armor:
Lulu’s Robes (Light Armor, BSB) – Tidus LCSB 1

~~After Extreme Fest~~
Armor:

Snow’s AMP Coat (Light Armor, BSB) – Nabaat 2
Lulu’s Robes (Light Armor, BSB) – Rikku USB 1

~~New Magicite Dungeon Items~~
Armor:
Snow’s Feymark (Light Armor, BSB) – Ice/Lightning Banner

~~Desperation~~
4* Weapons from Draws: Trident (Spear, XII)
3* Weapons from Draws: Icebrand (IV), Ice Rod (IV), Glacial Staff (XII)

pichupal fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 30, 2017

• Locked thread