Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Guys, I am blown away by the fact that in a game, as a unit takes damage, it can be reduced in effectiveness. I think I am definitely going to trust my money with a company who has such groundbreaking ideas as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

TTerrible posted:

AoS is a horrendous abortion of a ruleset. Agreed.

EDIT: The one "good bit" of AoS I mentioned earlier was giving large creatures something like 10 wounds and they lose effectivenes as the wounds are lost. That's it.

I'm pretty sure Hordes or Warmachine do this already, though (though I don't play either, so I can't be sure).

TKIY posted:

AoS is a bad game that recently got better, and there are signs it will get better with Generals Handbook 2.

GW is a bad company that recently got better, and there are signs that their flagship game will get better with v8.

Old Necromunda was good, new Necromunda looks good.

Some new GW models are good, some are not, most are overpriced but not unreasonable.

These are all thoughts that my human meatbrain holds simultaneously.

I mean, it has points and something that looks like a scenario system now but it's still a trainwreck. There's several scenarios that're over if someone has something particularly fast to double-turn onto an objective, and if you don't do that then the game ends up won by either whoever has the One Weird Trick that rolls ninety dice rerolling 1s and 5s and doing d3 mortal wounds and/or gets a double combat turn that butchers everything. The patch for summoning stuff inadvertently killed the utility of horrors. There's still bizarre BS like "my enormous chariot is in the way of this dude so I can't see him but I can see through that dude's legs so I can see through him" and shooting out of combat to kill stuff miles away. You can still kill the crew of a gun and knock the gun out and that might be necessary because so many guns just annihilate everything if you bring like four or five of them.

Points are a really obvious thing to fix if you were going to start fixing AOS but I still feel really bad for anyone who plays it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Glad to see you're finally seeing sense! The 40K thread will gladly take any of you back. :)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ijyt posted:

Glad to see you're finally seeing sense! The 40K thread will gladly take any of you back. :)

Thanks! I think GW's really starting to turn things around.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

ijyt posted:

Lmao being angry at a hobby you don't even do. It's like getting mad at Canon for only minimally improving their low-light performance and never having owned a camera.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ijyt posted:

Lmao being angry at a hobby you don't even do. It's like getting mad at Canon for only minimally improving their low-light performance and never having owned a camera.

I think "angry" kind of overstates it but there's a definite frustration with GW because GW does try and monopolise people's game spaces even though the games are poo poo. Like people said, if Necromunda does come back there's going to be a bunch of Infinity/Deadzone players who lose out because, even if it's poo poo, it has orks in it.

I get that like half this thread is shitposting but it's still the "JOKES ON YOU I WAS ONLY PRETENDING" comic.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 29, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Are we meaning The Hobby to mean the GW Hobby again? I'm still painting my GW mans - I just bought them several years ago and using them for other games.

I still want the Bastiladon if I ever find one for <$30

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

spectralent posted:

I think "angry" kind of overstates it but there's a definite frustration with GW because GW does try and monopolise people's game spaces even though the games are poo poo. Like people said, if Necromunda does come back there's going to be a bunch of Infinity/Deadzone players who lose out because, even if it's poo poo, it has orks in it.

Am I reading this right. You're mad at competition in a capitalist system?

You can play more than one tabletop game, they're not exclusive when you have a regular pay cheque!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ijyt posted:

Am I reading this right. You're mad at competition in a capitalist system?

lol what

quote:

You can play more than one tabletop game, they're not exclusive when you have a regular pay cheque!

TIL people have regular pay cheques and also infinite free time with which to not only schedule games with other people who have infinite free time but also assemble and paint toy soldiers.

Oh and infinite capacity to remember an infinite amount of rulesets with no other things they need to think about. Also we're all immortal so time spent doing any one thing is basically interchangeable and definitely NOT a waste.

EDIT: Wait, hang on, mentions of capitalism, "not expensive if you have a job :smug:" posting... You're one of those people who unironically uses the term poorhammer to defend your sunk costs in bad games, aren't you?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 29, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

spectralent posted:

I get that like half this thread is shitposting but it's still the "JOKES ON YOU I WAS ONLY PRETENDING" comic.

This is actually, genuinely the funniest things have been in a while.

Though irl the only person actually angry here is Stanyer, for unrelated reasons.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ijyt posted:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Capitalism decided well ago that where the most people played a game the best game was. If your friends like a game, it is obviously better than what you like.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I can't help you with your social life, but we're just really excited to show you the direction GW is heading and want you to be part of the new adventure into 8th edition! :)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm super excited now that GW has changed directions and makes the best rules and the best games. But since GW was super awful for a couple of decades, I went ahead and started buying reasonably priced miniatures that weren't over designed garbage. Now that I'm playing GW games again, can I use these new miniatures to recreate battles in the 41st millennium?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Xarbala posted:

Though irl the only person actually angry here is Stanyer, for unrelated reasons.

I dunno, I never found the "I'm saying a thing that dumb people believe for real, which is funny because I'm not actually one of the dumb people" gag really stupid because it relies on having opinions so well known that it's obviously a joke and most people aren't that popular. Like, you'd need to be Nixon saying how much he loves commies for it to not just come off as "Oh, this person actually has lovely opinions".

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

spectralent posted:

I dunno, I never found the "I'm saying a thing that dumb people believe for real, which is funny because I'm not actually one of the dumb people" gag really stupid because it relies on having opinions so well known that it's obviously a joke and most people aren't that popular. Like, you'd need to be Nixon saying how much he loves commies for it to not just come off as "Oh, this person actually has lovely opinions".

This thread seems to do a lot of things it supposedly hates!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Xarbala posted:

Seeing serious gaylord (I think?) go from gleefully posting his warhammer to learning to what they did to his game and later stop posting his art was the worst part. I honestly don't wish that on anyone here.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm super excited now that GW has changed directions and makes the best rules and the best games. But since GW was super awful for a couple of decades, I went ahead and started buying reasonably priced miniatures that weren't over designed garbage. Now that I'm playing GW games again, can I use these new miniatures to recreate battles in the 41st millennium?

yeah but you gotta hot-glue massive shoulderpads onto them and re-prime them with granite paste and roll them around in beads before never finishing them to match the current design aesthetic

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ijyt posted:

This thread seems to do a lot of things it supposedly hates!

Does this thread hate?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I feel like there's been a lot of misunderstandings about Death Thread 2017: It all started with the Aeldari.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

panascope posted:

I think once you see the quality and detail of your typical GW box compared to trash like Malifaux that the price difference becomes understandable. You pay for the quality.

:ironicat:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

If you think about it, wishing death upon cultures and pursuits you don't really understand and that are alien to you is the most 40k thing of them all.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
This thread is called the death thread because it's where brain cells go to die

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Skinty McEdger posted:

If you think about it, wishing death upon cultures and pursuits you don't really understand and that are alien to you is the most 40k thing of them all.

:zenpop:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I drink a lot of unlabeled Thai booze. It reflects my gaming philosophy. If I knew who produced the miniature, I hate it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm trying to figure out what is happening here and I guess the name says it all but this is a really great gif.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Guys, I am blown away by the fact that in a game, as a unit takes damage, it can be reduced in effectiveness. I think I am definitely going to trust my money with a company who has such groundbreaking ideas as that.

spectralent posted:

I'm pretty sure Hordes or Warmachine do this already, though (though I don't play either, so I can't be sure).

I didn't say it was groundbreaking or unique to AoS. I used it as an example of a positive change ported from AoS to 40k. :ssh:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
MageKnight (the collectible miniatures game) is a great game.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

spectralent posted:

Is it worse to do this or to be the person continually replying to it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just buy GW models? They're priced appropriately for their quality. Most people (me included) won't play with you if you have some stupid warmahordes or whatever models

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

TTerrible posted:

Is it worse to do this or to be the person continually replying to it.

People are wrong on the internet.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hixson posted:

Just buy GW models? They're priced appropriately for their quality. Most people (me included) won't play with you if you have some stupid warmahordes or whatever models

But I already own models. I don't need new models. We can play with these ones right now. If I buy new ones, I may never build or paint them. These are built and painted. I just want to play the dang game man. Why don't you want to play this game you've invested thousands of dollars in?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Everything about GW is still garbage. You guys have just mistaken "better than other garbage" for "not garbage" and I get why that's an easy mistake to make.

I agree. Brothers, it is with deep regret that I've decided to withdraw my Great Company back to the Aett and submit to spiritual cleansing by the Wolf Priests after one too many losses. My stubborness in refusing allies, even ones which are approved by the Rout such as the Imperial Knights allied to Fenris, Imperial Guard regiments seeking glory alongside the Rout, even the beautiful and war worthy Celestine .....

.... sigh, sorry can't make a nice narrative out of this. Put it simply, I'm tired of 40K and my wolves and will retire from the scene until 8th edition. Since I started in 2014, I've only made use of Space Wolves, first the 6th Ed codex, then Champions of Fenris, then Curse of the Wulfen. I keep telling myself that I don't need to jump on the allied or multiple detachment to defeat Eldar, Tau, Necrons or even our supposedly subpar (at least until Traitors Legion supplement) enemies the Chaos Space Marines. Now though, it appears that no matter what I do, even if I am tactically sound which according to most of my opponents I am, I keep handing myself the smackdown by choosing to face SM/CSM with Imperial Knights allies, Ynnari, Cawl buffed Mechanicum, and heck, most recently, a simple formation of 4 daemon princes called Tetrachs.

4 Daemons (plus a small CAD of nurgle daemons). Smashed my entire force of 1500 wolves. Which had Wulfen, Iron Priest on wolf, even a Stormfang Gunship for anti-air which I was anticipating, though not 4 FMCs. And to round it off, a small Deathpack formation to be able to run and charge a TWC gang and a Thunderlord with shield an sword. rest of army was 3 Drop pods of MSU.

If that isn't depressing, I don't know what is. I've been tabled before and was able to laugh like mad, even to Tau. This one along with many others just left a very sour taste in my mouth. They didn't just bring a gun to a knife fight. They brought automatic weapons, a tank, an F22 raptor and a nuke as well.

Sorry mates, my wolf spirit has been quenched, along with my 40K spirit. That being said, I haven't written off the hobby entirely and have decided to focus on just assembly and painting at least for a few months before going back, hopefully just in time for 8th Edition. I still love the Vlka Fenryka. I have no intention of going vanilla or any other army. But it looks like I have to accept in my heart that for a long time now, the Wolves have not been able to stand up themselves, even after Curse of the Wulfen came out.

A Blood Angel friend of mine has suggested 30K as an alternative, which I've accepted and therefore will be focusing on painting ALL my Burning of Prospero figures into the 6th Legion. Get me into the painting groove and at the same time, it's almost like making a fresh new army without giving up my first love of the Vlka Fenryka.

Another alternative is to find a different FLGS for different meta.

I just wish I could forget about competitiveness and just play with whatever the heck I want, even Swiftclaws and Skyclaws. Sadly if i do that, I'm handing a big "SMASH ME" sign to my whole meta. The kind of meta who will never play mutilators, non flying hive tyrant Tyrannid swarms or assault marines beyond skyhammer formation.

Don't know why I'm posting this, I guess I'm hoping that what I feel is normal among some of you old timers especially between edition changes, or whether you guys have ever felt "tired" of your army before.

Until the next winter.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

But I already own models. I don't need new models. We can play with these ones right now. If I buy new ones, I may never build or paint them. These are built and painted. I just want to play the dang game man. Why don't you want to play this game you've invested thousands of dollars in?

You don't own the right models. Jesus this isn't hard to understand.

And as far as I'm concerned; my investment has paid off. I have a ton of fun playing warhammer

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

But I already play League of Legends. I don't need new champions. We can play this game right now. If I play Dota 2, I may never learn the meta. I already main Teemo. I just want to spam dang mushrooms.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My models are space elves. I have the rules for space elves. What is wrong about my models?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
congratulations gw you finally broke the 40k thread posters

can we set up a crisis hotline for them because i really hate to see another human suffer like this

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

I agree. Brothers, it is with deep regret that I've decided to withdraw my Great Company back to the Aett and submit to spiritual cleansing by the Wolf Priests after one too many losses. My stubborness in refusing allies, even ones which are approved by the Rout such as the Imperial Knights allied to Fenris, Imperial Guard regiments seeking glory alongside the Rout, even the beautiful and war worthy Celestine .....

.... sigh, sorry can't make a nice narrative out of this. Put it simply, I'm tired of 40K and my wolves and will retire from the scene until 8th edition. Since I started in 2014, I've only made use of Space Wolves, first the 6th Ed codex, then Champions of Fenris, then Curse of the Wulfen. I keep telling myself that I don't need to jump on the allied or multiple detachment to defeat Eldar, Tau, Necrons or even our supposedly subpar (at least until Traitors Legion supplement) enemies the Chaos Space Marines. Now though, it appears that no matter what I do, even if I am tactically sound which according to most of my opponents I am, I keep handing myself the smackdown by choosing to face SM/CSM with Imperial Knights allies, Ynnari, Cawl buffed Mechanicum, and heck, most recently, a simple formation of 4 daemon princes called Tetrachs.

4 Daemons (plus a small CAD of nurgle daemons). Smashed my entire force of 1500 wolves. Which had Wulfen, Iron Priest on wolf, even a Stormfang Gunship for anti-air which I was anticipating, though not 4 FMCs. And to round it off, a small Deathpack formation to be able to run and charge a TWC gang and a Thunderlord with shield an sword. rest of army was 3 Drop pods of MSU.

If that isn't depressing, I don't know what is. I've been tabled before and was able to laugh like mad, even to Tau. This one along with many others just left a very sour taste in my mouth. They didn't just bring a gun to a knife fight. They brought automatic weapons, a tank, an F22 raptor and a nuke as well.

Sorry mates, my wolf spirit has been quenched, along with my 40K spirit. That being said, I haven't written off the hobby entirely and have decided to focus on just assembly and painting at least for a few months before going back, hopefully just in time for 8th Edition. I still love the Vlka Fenryka. I have no intention of going vanilla or any other army. But it looks like I have to accept in my heart that for a long time now, the Wolves have not been able to stand up themselves, even after Curse of the Wulfen came out.

A Blood Angel friend of mine has suggested 30K as an alternative, which I've accepted and therefore will be focusing on painting ALL my Burning of Prospero figures into the 6th Legion. Get me into the painting groove and at the same time, it's almost like making a fresh new army without giving up my first love of the Vlka Fenryka.

Another alternative is to find a different FLGS for different meta.

I just wish I could forget about competitiveness and just play with whatever the heck I want, even Swiftclaws and Skyclaws. Sadly if i do that, I'm handing a big "SMASH ME" sign to my whole meta. The kind of meta who will never play mutilators, non flying hive tyrant Tyrannid swarms or assault marines beyond skyhammer formation.

Don't know why I'm posting this, I guess I'm hoping that what I feel is normal among some of you old timers especially between edition changes, or whether you guys have ever felt "tired" of your army before.

Until the next winter.
Time will heal these wounds my friend. Wise counsel has been provided, take a break. Looking for a new group or even a like minded player within your existing group willing to 'dumb down' some games. I've had one guy that I've played with consistently for a few years now. He plays everything, I only play wolves but we're both relaxed, think that doing some 'dumb' stuff once in a while is OK and aren't really about power creep. The best part is that I can't tell you how many times other players have stopped at our table and asked the same question 'Are you guys over here LAUGHING?' because the idea of playing a game without the need to 'Crush your enemy, see him driven blah blah blah' is a foreign concept to many that play.

I played back in 5th edition through 'The Ward Time' as I call it. Blood Angels WRECKED, then Necons OWNED, then Grey Knights just sent people into apoplectic aneurysms. Then flyers became a thing and wolves had NO Anti-Air. I lost a lot of games over a long period of time and got super sour about it. Fortunately I had a couple of players that played older, "weaker" armies and that became my new group. At least then I lost games on the table not in the List Writing Phase and those don't hurt as bad.

Check around and look for someone who is also a little frustrated or would be willing to 'play down' for fun games. If not then as has been mentioned, a break may be in order.

Even Wolves must rest...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've never lost a game that I couldn't blame on the opponent being a better purchaser of models than me.

• Locked thread