Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anyone taking bets on when the first one explodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Bixby Button Built on Bezel

Bixby bauble "brisk," "beautiful" before blast, burns.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

idgi what am I looking at?

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

cage-free egghead posted:

The comment in the bottom right.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Syrinxx posted:

I want to say no. But knowing how loving dumb the average consumer is... yes they are definitely ready to buy another pocket bomb with reversed capacative buttons, a half assed new digital assistant, and terrible bloatware for $950

Viv looked pretty promising but it'll be interesting to see how the Samsung butchered one is going to compare.

It's going to be a loving long time before we see Bixby on the S7e though

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 29, 2017

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Marklar posted:

The comment in the bottom right.

I mean I know what's it's trying to point out but I don't get what's funny about it, seems like a pretty standard youtube comment.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

With 12K+ people watching, how are they even able to snap something in the chat? Isn't it usually scrolling with a ton of spam text emoji and other garbage these days?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I mean I know what's it's trying to point out but I don't get what's funny about it, seems like a pretty standard youtube comment.

Agreed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah but how much RAM does it have???

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Allegedly you can reverse the navigation buttons (back, switch) to the normal sides.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Did anything worthwhile ever come out of that new Google VR thing?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah but how much RAM does it have???

Looks like only 4G still.

Also can someone explain why Samsung does the CPU split using Snapdragon in the US, and using their own for the rest of the world? Why can't they just do like the S6, say screw it, and use their own SoC for the entire lineup at this point? The only thing the 835 looks like it has going for it ahead of everyone else is GPU speed currently, and that may be able to be beaten by whatever Samsung, MediaTek, and others have cooking up for this year.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

The patriarchy.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also can someone explain why Samsung does the CPU split using Snapdragon in the US, and using their own for the rest of the world? Why can't they just do like the S6, say screw it, and use their own SoC for the entire lineup at this point? The only thing the 835 looks like it has going for it ahead of everyone else is GPU speed currently, and that may be able to be beaten by whatever Samsung, MediaTek, and others have cooking up for this year.

CDMA probably

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sereri posted:

CDMA probably

Cannot wait for that crap to die.

Though, the S6 was on Sprint/Verizon just fine. Wonder what the cost is to just run a Qual radio and their own SOC for everything else.

I guess that could also be part of the S6's battery life issues too. When you don't run all in 1 SoC they always seem to be hit by bad battery drain.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sereri posted:

CDMA probably

Pretty sure it's the LTE radio specifically, because Korea is like the only other place on earth where CDMA exists and I think they use their own SoC for the home market. Qualcomm's LTE radios are pretty much designed around working with all the US bands and oddities, no reason to reinvent the wheel.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
There's also all the strongarming and a possible ransom, if the more recent qualcomm antitrust claims are to be believed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MrBond posted:

There's also all the strongarming and a possible ransom, if the more recent qualcomm antitrust claims are to be believed.

All the more reason Samsung would eschew them if they could, and they're literally the only entity who has the means other than Apple.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple is moving away from Qualcomm, so I would expect Samsung to do it any time now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Apple is moving away from Qualcomm, so I would expect Samsung to do it any time now.

Qualcomm has certainly been abusing their position and you're right, the writing's on the wall, but somehow I have a sneaking suspicion this will work out better for Apple than it will for Samsung. No idea why I'm feeling that way, though.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Well my Nexus 6P's battery has been progressively getting worse since July, I was never able to get a Pixel XL, and never seemed to mind touchwiz on their tablets (besides the reversal of the back buttons), so I'll be pre-ordering the S8+. Does anyone know if the best buy promotion is only for new carrier accounts?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Speaking of batteries

quote:

the new batteries in the Galaxy S8 and S8+ feature much better cycle longevity than the ones in last year's phones. Whereas after a year of typical charge and discharge cycles last year's Galaxy S7 and S7 edge would see around 20% of their effective capacity lost, Samsung says that figure is more like 5% of capacity lost over a year on the S8 and S8+

This is neat, from the Android Police coverage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Endless Mike posted:

If anything, partnership between the two will likely grow.

Qualcomm is using Samsung's 10nm FinFET process for the SD 835.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Qualcomm has certainly been abusing their position and you're right, the writing's on the wall, but somehow I have a sneaking suspicion this will work out better for Apple than it will for Samsung. No idea why I'm feeling that way, though.

Samsung has a lot of brand issues right now because of the Note 7. Despite what I and some other nerds say their phones are popular and widely sold at both the low and high end but they're still in a slightly weakened position because of the explosive phones. It would be hilarious if they implied it was Qualcomm's chips partly at blame for the explosions by really harping on a shift from Snapdragon to Exynos(? I think that's their in-house proc but I haven't kept up to date) as part of their fixes. Like make no direct allegations but just always keep it in the related dialogue - "as part of our hardware redesigns for safety and reliability, we switched from Qualcomm processors to Exynos and enhanced the battery management and designed a better housing that lets the battery and phone cool faster and stay cool longer" or something.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Speaking of batteries

This is neat, from the Android Police coverage.

I wonder if that 20% is normal, seems like a lot of degredation after only a year

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
There was an extensive investigation into the battery issue and wasn't it found that Samsung just didn't design enough clearance to allow the battery to expand as it charged? Literally trying to shave a few millimeters in thickness from the phone caused all of their troubles. As the battery expanded a bit it compressed the lithium cells until they would internally short out and catch fire, explode, etc. There's no way to fix it short of putting in a smaller battery or enlarging the case. No chips or circuitry were to blame.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The Duggler posted:

I wonder if that 20% is normal, seems like a lot of degredation after only a year

That sounds about right for hundreds of charging cycles.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

The Duggler posted:

Yeah, I definitely haven't experienced that much of a degradation on my recent phones (Nexus 6P, S7 Edge), but it might not be too out of the ordinary. I've had my Pixel XL for 6 months and I can't notice any real degradation despite using/charging it constantly so we'll see.

Who am I kidding I'm getting the Pixel 2 anyways.

mod sassinator posted:

There was an extensive investigation into the battery issue and wasn't it found that Samsung just didn't design enough clearance to allow the battery to expand as it charged? Literally trying to shave a few millimeters in thickness from the phone caused all of their troubles. As the battery expanded a bit it compressed the lithium cells until they would internally short out and catch fire, explode, etc. There's no way to fix it short of putting in a smaller battery or enlarging the case. No chips or circuitry were to blame.

Yup that's exactly what it ended up being

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung has a solution to the fingerprint sensor being so close to the camera lense.

The camera app will periodically remind you to wipe off the lense.

Because we are all infants, apparently.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

bull3964 posted:

Samsung has a solution to the fingerprint sensor being so close to the camera lense.

:lol: Samsung'd again

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

bull3964 posted:

I can almost feel Samsung's UX developers weeping at being forced to implement this

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's these sort of overcorrections that get me more than everything else about Samsung's design philosophy. We don't need, or want, the kitchen sink.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

See it sounds silly but there are people who will likely not understand it. When I worked at bestbuy Samsung held training classes where we'd help customers with their new tablets and phones, they were meant to be showing off the gimmicky features but most of them came down to learning the very basics such as being able to turn off the phone, or how to add a contact, etc.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

Too bad they ran out of time with respect to integrating the fingerprint sensor into the display. Maybe they'll solve this problem in the Note 8.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

See it sounds silly but there are people who will likely not understand it.

And those people wander through life bewildered by most things, there's no point in junking stuff up to cater to every edge use case and understanding level.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

What does this mean? Is it a joke? Am I a joke?
MFD is close enough to be measured in millimeters, was my point. Moving the phone back an inch isn't a big deal.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

nimper posted:

Too bad they ran out of time with respect to integrating the fingerprint sensor into the display. Maybe they'll solve this problem in the Note 8.

Weird that the s8 doesn't have it, this was working fine on the Note 6.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

RZA Encryption posted:

Weird that the s8 doesn't have it, this was working fine on the Note 6.

If you mean the Note7, no it didn't, fingerprint scanner was the physical home button.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I think the worst implementation of the fingerprint scanner was on the S5 and Note 4. You had to swipe down over the home button and it just looked really awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you mean the Note7, no it didn't, fingerprint scanner was the physical home button.

No, I mean the Note 6.