Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

RCarr posted:

It's not touch screen though?

Irrelevant. It's a large screen on a mobile device, it should be made of a scratch proof material, period. The fact that their own included dock you have to use to play on TVs scratches the screen when docking shows how dumb the decision was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

But the Switch has a touch screen, doesn't it? Which is hilarious because you can't use the touch screen when its in the doc...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They'll upgrade the display in the Switch XL. Need to get those double dippers!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I'm holding out for the Switch i3DXL, personally.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

dreesemonkey posted:

Taking a gamble, I bought an inexpensive memory foam mattress from the internet. Did some research on http://www.sleeplikethedead.com and I think memory foam was the way to go for us. I hope we don't hate it.

And a new frame for it

We've had this mattress/frame combo (well we bought one with a headboard) for months and LOVE it.

It sleeps great, and I sleep even better knowing I saved literal thousands of dollars.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Bought a nerdy card game:

I actually wanted the Cthulhu version (nerdier,) but they didn't have it in stock.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Megabound posted:

Also strongly considering this.

This is grail status right here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

betterinsodapop posted:

Bought a nerdy card game:

I actually wanted the Cthulhu version (nerdier,) but they didn't have it in stock.

Get Batman Love Letter. Much better game and fits in your pocket. Or get Pixel tactics if you want a meaty small box card game.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

This is almost as classy as the ballpoint I had back in 1971 that had hamburgers and hotdogs on it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my refrigerator has a gorilla glass touch screen nintendo can put one on their poo poo

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We've had this mattress/frame combo (well we bought one with a headboard) for months and LOVE it.

It sleeps great, and I sleep even better knowing I saved literal thousands of dollars.

Good to hear. Our current mattress (because everyone cares a whole lot) is a really soft pillowtop innerspring mattress. 3 days into buying the thing I started having a "sleep divot". Fast forward 5 years later and we just can't do it anymore. Hell if we like this mattress I could easily see buying one every few years if we had to since they're so cheap.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I have an expensive mattress from a brick and mortar store because I'm an idiot, but I have this frame (or a mattress foundation like it) and love it. I love the extra space under the bed I get now while keeping the bed at the same height since you don't need a box spring with it. My old frame that came with the mattress was only an inch or so off the ground so I couldn't put anything under my bed.

I'll probably buy online when we eventually upgrade to a king and put the queen bed in a guest room or something.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Get Batman Love Letter. Much better game and fits in your pocket.
Just might, thx

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
No box spring is the way to go, I also have that frame and absolutely love it!

More importantly, that plus a good mattress encasement make for a hostile environment for bed bugs.

I've never had them but a friend did, and reading about them has shaped a few recent purchases as well as a few of my habits. I am ready for them.

gently caress bedbugs. Point is, that is an awesome frame with easy set up, and I love that it folds up, making moving a breeze.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

1redflag posted:

I'm holding out for the Switch i3DXL, personally.

This, but actually. Knowing Nintendo, a better Switch is about a year away.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I've had a nice memory foam mattress for some time now and I love them, but my fiancee doesn't, and so we use her spring mattress. This is going to be an issue in the future, I think.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I partnered up with some folks to upgrade our brewing set up, because money is the root of all evil and I need to get rid of it as effectively as possible

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ReidRansom posted:

I've had a nice memory foam mattress for some time now and I love them, but my fiancee doesn't, and so we use her spring mattress. This is going to be an issue in the future, I think.

Get one of each type in twin XL and put them side-by-side to get the same dimensions as a king-size mattress. There are various connectors out there to keep the mattresses from separating in the middle.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

The best thing about brewing your own beer is how much money you savahahahhahahahhhahahahaha

(The best thing about brewing your own beer is perfecting a recipe you love that no one else in the world makes. Good on you for getting some infrastructure in place.)

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sexual Lorax posted:

The best thing about brewing your own beer is how much money you savahahahhahahahhhahahahaha

(The best thing about brewing your own beer is perfecting a recipe you love that no one else in the world makes. Good on you for getting some infrastructure in place.)

We have some restaurant space available and might be dipping a pinkie toe into getting the permits and whatnot to actually sell some of this stuff, so we keep justifying this nonsense as "don't worry we can recoup this cost!!!"

That might happen, but in the mean time we'll just be drinking a lot of beer I think

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Well I was about to post in here about getting an NES Classic but after it made me hit "Place My Order" on bestbuy.com 100 times it kicked me back and said my cart was empty. Now it's sold out again. Maybe I'll have one by Christmas at this rate.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

Get one of each type in twin XL and put them side-by-side to get the same dimensions as a king-size mattress. There are various connectors out there to keep the mattresses from separating in the middle.

This is something I have never considered. Interesting. It's a decision still a couple of years away, but thank you.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Well I was about to post in here about getting an NES Classic but after it made me hit "Place My Order" on bestbuy.com 100 times it kicked me back and said my cart was empty. Now it's sold out again. Maybe I'll have one by Christmas at this rate.

I've given up at this point. Like, I think once I clear out an existing project or two I'm just going to build one of those Raspberry Pi based multi-emulators.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah don't get torn up about not being able to buy a plastic toy that plays NES roms when your toaster can handle them like a champ

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

I've given up at this point. Like, I think once I clear out an existing project or two I'm just going to build one of those Raspberry Pi based multi-emulators.
Same. gently caress Nintendo and their lovely-rear end supply chain antics.
:goonsay:

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

ReidRansom posted:

I keep telling myself I'll build one too but then I'll forget until the next time I try and find a Classic in stock. Effort.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Building an emulation box sounds neat but a PC with HDMI out is much, much simpler isn't it?

If you really want a TV-friendly interface, there are all sorts of options and solutions that still take less fiddling than a raspberry

Why are people so opposed to hooking up a proper computer to TVs? They can do literally everything, and they do make smaller ones (either in laptop format or an ultra portable tower or something) that don't ruin your living room's aesthetics any more than a PS4 would!

Higher upfront costs are an obstacle I'll admit

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

I partnered up with some folks to upgrade our brewing set up, because money is the root of all evil and I need to get rid of it as effectively as possible

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

SS Brewtech makes good poo poo. I have their brew bucket fermenter and love it. The only downside to that one is that the o-rings on the dip tube don't last very long. I need to snag a bunch more of them.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

KingSlime posted:

Why are people so opposed to hooking up a proper computer to TVs? They can do literally everything, and they do make smaller ones (either in laptop format or an ultra portable tower or something) that don't ruin your living room's aesthetics any more than a PS4 would!

I use an Intel NUC for 100% of my TV/movie viewing. We maintain subscriptions to Netflix & HBO Now and anything we can't get there is :filez: stored on a file server that lives in my basement. At first glance anyone else would probably just assume its some kind of home theater appliance - doesn't look like a PC at all.

I think the biggest hangup for the vast majority of consumers is you have to know your way around computers to really make it work. Most people who walk into a big box store to buy an AppleTV, Roku or Chromecast wouldn't know the first thing about downloading shows/movies directly to a PC, much less running some form of NAS or having a fully-fledged computer connected to their TV. And if you're not going to maintain a collection of downloaded content you're paying a lot more to do what off the shelf solutions already do.

Cost is definitely a factor. You can buy a Chromecast for lunch money anymore, a Roku is under $100 and AppleTV isn't a whole lot more. My NUC was the budget model in 2014 - dual core 1.1 GHz Celeron, but even between that, a small mSATA SSD and 4 GB of DDR3 I still spent $240 on it. I got a lot more capability and it runs circles around the plug and play stuff, but your average consumer isn't going to want to drop that much money and still have to assemble and load an operating system on it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I guess it comes down to not wanting to tinker (am I just forming biases or are we Americans becoming increasingly helpless as a whole despite having a rectangle with ALL the knowledge in their pocket at all times?), and cost of course

Personally I am a big nerd so the idea of having a sleek computer like an ultrabook function as my plug and play media center makes me moist.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I find that the PS4+Chromecast covers all the home theatre stuff my roommates and I need. Roommate A runs the Plex Cloud server, I pay for Netflix, roommate B uses his mom's HBO go login. There's plenty of spare PC's in our goony bachelor fortress, but we've never felt the need to put together a dedicated HTPC or NAS or anything.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

KingSlime posted:

No box spring is the way to go, I also have that frame and absolutely love it!

More importantly, that plus a good mattress encasement make for a hostile environment for bed bugs.

I've never had them but a friend did, and reading about them has shaped a few recent purchases as well as a few of my habits. I am ready for them.

gently caress bedbugs. Point is, that is an awesome frame with easy set up, and I love that it folds up, making moving a breeze.

Not using a box spring (or at least a sheet of plywood, that works too) is going to make your mattress break down a lot faster

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Really? It's a steel frame that's designed with the additional support to replace a box spring (the same one the other user linked).

It's meant to be used without a box spring. Will this still affect the mattress in the long run? Lots of positive reviews on Amazon and I've had mine for a few weeks. It feels fantastic.

Either way it's probably worth replacing my mattress a few years earlier just to never gently caress with box springs again.

E: a minute of Google seems to imply that as long as the frame has proper support built in, it should be a-ok, I'll take my chances (esp with the whole bed bug scare I had, I'm properly set up to wreck the little fuckers with some dust and without paying thousands for an exterminator if I ever come into contact with any, I think)

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Mar 30, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's wrong with box springs?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Aside from just general hassle of moving them (I moved four times the last 12 months due to relocating and switching jobs), they make it near impossible to detect bed bugs if you have a small infestation

You see, the best way to get rid of them is to know where they walk, and to not disturb their routine. Let them feel safe and let them keep biting (but know where they are!). A steel frame + encasement + light blankets = near fool-proof detection method

I'm afraid my fear of bed bugs has changed me

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Mar 30, 2017

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

KingSlime posted:

Building an emulation box sounds neat but a PC with HDMI out is much, much simpler isn't it?

If you really want a TV-friendly interface, there are all sorts of options and solutions that still take less fiddling than a raspberry

Most people don't have their computers next to the TV. I could run a long rear end HDMI cable around the house, or I could just buy a 35$ raspberry pi/chromecast/firestick/whatever. I'm computer retarded and it took me almost no effort to set up a raspberry pi for emulators and tv things. You def don't need full computer processing power to the TV unless you're using it to game or whatnot.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I was more suggesting a separate PC for the TV if you only have one and want it in your bedroom.

Price definitely becomes a factor then, and if a raspberry pi takes care of your needs then yeah it's a much more sensible option. Something about having a full PC on my main TV is bad rear end though, annoying navigation tweaks aside. I haven't seen what stick solutions have to offer these days though, they might be more robust than ever for all I know.

I do game on my main living room screen when I have one, currently my living room is TV-less though. I may keep it that way as that expense is strictly for guests and the older I get, the less I give a poo poo about having people over regularly.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Josh Lyman posted:

What's wrong with box springs?

As far as I can tell, they do literally nothing useful

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Glottis posted:

My mattress is a huge slab of memory foam. gently caress box springs.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Glottis posted:

yeah that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Serious question, did box springs ever provide anything besides being a platform for your mattress? Plywood does that if you're ok with your bed being a little lower. If you want you bed a little higher why isn't the bed itself just built higher? I have never understood the purpose of a box spring, even for regular spring mattresses.

Special case excepted: those lovely metal bed frames we all had when we were growing up. A piece of plywood would make that bed unreasonably low, and having a lovely metal frame an additional 8" tall would only make it more lovely. Box frame is ok in that one specific case where you're using a lovely lovely terrible adjustable metal frame bed.