Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

even if they brought the team over whole hog having to recreate an entire game engine entirely from scratch that took 4-odd years to build the first time around is not something trivial to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

even if they brought the team over whole hog having to recreate an entire game engine entirely from scratch that took 4-odd years to build the first time around is not something trivial to do

luckily the gueriila team basically handed them the entire engine to play with so that's a decent start

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RCRU patch notes posted:

Fixed bug where gas-grenade cop did not throw their grenade
Fixed bug where inventory was not usable in Arena
Fixed bug where objects could be carried out of Arena matches
Fixed bug where menu music kept playing between Arena matches
Fixed bug where double-jump would not reset after a soft landing
Increased hat friction
Fixed bug where Ivan failed to exit the Courtyard level
Fixed Ether Vortex Rune
Made AI run during the “get to class” scene
Fixed falling from Blustery Kick Ex

Not a lot to discuss with this one, the arena bugs were annoying but the rest are all edge cases. Still, getting closer to a flawless build.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I'm definitely reaching the point where even though I hate the idea of paying $60 for a video game, I feel I have to play Nier now to just get that story experience under my belt before the allure is lost or it gets spoiled or whatever. I was going to fire up MGSV as my first PS4 title but if that takes as long as it supposedly does then that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Nicer:A is one of my favorite gaming experiences in recent memory and probably ever.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I'm definitely reaching the point where even though I hate the idea of paying $60 for a video game, I feel I have to play Nier now to just get that story experience under my belt before the allure is lost or it gets spoiled or whatever.

Same

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also excited because Nicer:A's success means we may get a remake of the original Nicer

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wouldn't the prequel just be called nice, starring the android 69TA

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Persona reviews are in. Not surprised to see those largely high scores

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was going to wait until after P5 but I might buy Nier today

Are you supposed to play on hard like in other platinum games

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Play the first level on normal. Then switch to hard. Reason being, if you die on hard in the first level, you have to restart because you have no save.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Help Im Alive posted:

I was going to wait until after P5 but I might buy Nier today

Are you supposed to play on hard like in other platinum games

Definitely not at the start. I was switching between hard and normal a lot depending on whether I wanted to get through a story bit easily.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

did the original nier have so many shmup sections cause that seems pretty platinumy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat, the lede on Eurogamer's Persona 5 review doesn't hold back:

Cassandra Khaw posted:

Real talk: if you've played Persona, if you've enjoyed JRPGs, if you even have a passing interest in Japanese media, there's absolutely no reason to read this frankly ponderous review. Persona 5 is everything you've wanted: style and substance distilled into an experience worth waging cultural wars for.

If you don't like JRPGs, well, I can't help you there.

Everyone else? Buckle in.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-29-persona-5-review

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't play Nier on hard, it makes each hit take like 75% of your health.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

did the original nier have so many shmup sections cause that seems pretty platinumy

I don't think so, but the pseudo-bullet hell aspect of the non-schmup bosses is straight out of the original Nier, right down to the big purple spherical bullets.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

see i'll definitely pick up nier on steam sale some day in the future because it does pique my interest but persona 5 is basically custom tooled to be precisely anathema to cowcasters

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

haveblue posted:

Don't play Nier on hard, it makes each hit take like 75% of your health.

Which eventually becomes manageable as you get better plug-ins. Some fights get very tough on hard though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Play nier on hard if you're going to explore and do sidequests and get into the customization system and use everything the game is giving you, play on normal if you aren't.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Play on easy so you don't have to hold R1 all the time and have to worry about not doing ~max dps~

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

Play nier on hard if you're going to explore and do sidequests and get into the customization system and use everything the game is giving you, play on normal if you aren't.

Wait, why?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My other question is does it matter plot wise if I haven't played the original Nier?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have put in 20 hours into Nier:A so far and I don't think there's anything that I needed to play the old game for besides a few cameos that people say are payoffs from that. Nothing critical

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

whats up people!! - death note

i'm playing eyes of ara how are you

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think you should actually avoid it, I played Automata and I only read a summary of Nier after I beat it and original Nier spoils some twists.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lakbay posted:

I think you should actually avoid it, I played Automata and I only read a summary of Nier after I beat it and original Nier spoils some twists.

:psyduck:

Logistically, I don't think it's possible for a game to spoil it's own sequel.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It does though, granted the twist is really loving obvious if you have half a brain but Nier 1 spoils one of the main twists in Automata

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yoko Taro does it again!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Lufia 1

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm with you on this one

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://twitter.com/PuppetMasterIX/status/717956415969624064

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lakbay posted:

you are a moron

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

star wars episode 5 spoils that darth vader is luke's father in episode 6

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in addition to hating all forms of entertainment and everything that is light and pure and good i think spoiler avoidance is a very tortured form of logic but even if i didn't "the first game tells you the 'plot twist' of the second game" means that it's not a loving plot twist now is it

edit: what endorph said

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 29, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Quest For Glory II posted:

whats up people!! - death note

i'm playing eyes of ara how are you

My face every morning when I read this thread.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'see, you'd think that, but this is Nier, and things are weird.

Although if I had to guess from context clues, it's not so much that a plot twist in Nier: Automata isn't a twist if you played Nier. I'd guess it's a different one. Having not yet played it, I'm gonna assume there aren't any humans anymore, which is something that you'd know if you played Nier, but Automata lets you think maybe they came back somehow before telling you nope, they didn't. If I'm correct in my guess, it's just a different twist depending on whether you've played Nier: if you didn't play it, the twist is that the humans you thought you were fighting on behalf of don't exist; if you did play it, you're going to spend some time wondering how humans came back or maybe they're Replicants, and the twist is that they didn't and you've been faked out.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 29, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I've never played a Lufia game, I don't like JRPGs. Can you explain?

A sequel demands knowledge of its predecessor. If you don't have knowledge of something from a game, things in the sequel may be mysteries to you. That doesn't mean the first game 'spoils' the second.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 29, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i think spoiler avoidance is a very tortured form of logic

there was a tviv doctor who rewatch thread where people got spoiler probations for mentioning later seasons. not what happened in them, just that they existed. like the guy watching season 5 or whatever of doctor who would go 'man the daleks sound kinda crap' and someone'd go 'yeah they sound better in later seasons' and get probated for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've never played a Lufia game, I don't like JRPGs. Can you explain?

The opening of Lufia 1 is the ending of Lufia 2, which is a prequel.

It is, if you went into L2 without playing L1, a pretty big surprise as the ending of L2 is "the protagonist and his wife die" but since it is assumed you played L1 it isn't supposed to be a shock.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

there was a tviv doctor who rewatch thread where people got spoiler probations for mentioning later seasons. not what happened in them, just that they existed. like the guy watching season 5 or whatever of doctor who would go 'man the daleks sound kinda crap' and someone'd go 'yeah they sound better in later seasons' and get probated for it.

Probably more that they got probated for "spoiling" that there are Daleks in later seasons because I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple of times in Doctor Who's run when the Daleks were supposedly ~*~defeated forever~*~ but that doesn't make it any less dumb. If you've watched more than two episodes of Doctor Who you have to know that no popular villain character or species is ever gone forever no matter how much "no seriously they are erased from time or something I'm serious" the episode tries to pile on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Spoiler avoidance as a lifestyle is lame. Posting unrelated spoilers in the comment sections of every popular thing on the internet and changing forum names to spoil is more lame.

Like I get what people mean when they say "if a spoiler ruined something for you, it wasn't worth reading/watching" but on the other hand, people can enjoy literature and art for what they are and genre fiction for what it is. Also don't be a dick.

All that said, saying that a game spoils its sequel or prequel is a dumb thing to say.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 29, 2017

• Locked thread