Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This show is pretty drat discomforting. Not Hannibal levels of it (what is?), but it's not exactly a romp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah, totally apt description of this show. :rolleyes:

It is a show that features people with superpowers, it is going to be put in the genre show box and get completely overlooked. Better shows than Legion have been snuffed because of this, a good example is John Noble on Fringe.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

savinhill posted:

I'm not familiar with the comic book version of the Shadow King, but on this show, both his and The Angriest Boy in the World's look and design remind me most of the aesthetics of some of the creatures and characters from Floyd's The Wall movie. I'm curious if that's specifically the case, as Floyd has been a big influence in other ways for Hawley with the making of Legion.

If SK shows up as a talking rear end then I think I'm checking out for the rest of the season. :stonk:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

If SK shows up as a talking rear end then I think I'm checking out for the rest of the season. :stonk:

I don't know, this show's done enough crazy poo poo I'd still be on board.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ashpanash posted:

But Hannibal was morose and dark and left people feeling uncomfortable. This is much more playful, with an almost Worhol-like love affair with pop culture.

My friend doesn't like it. I think he thinks the plot is silly, because superheros. I think that the reason I love the show is that art is being made here. Who cares about the genre?

He loves Star Wars. And doesn't find that silly. I don't think he's an art fan.

I could see someone not liking it if they hate surrealism or doubting what they're seeing is "real." I know a lot of people like that, and totally get it. I'm not one of them, but that's a legit taste issue.

But to write a show off because of it's very, very basic genre is dumb. You might as well compare Jacob's Ladder to Friday the 13th because they both have horror in the category. I guess it's kind of like how nobody took sci-fi seriously for years.

ED: At least Legion is getting good ratings and good critical praise, so honestly I don't have THAT much to bitch about. It's not as if it's completely being hated and is heading to cancellation, in fact it just locked another season. I just hope they keep the show runner, I don't think it'd last without them.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 29, 2017

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

None of that really matters to awards committees though. I'm betting the only reason this is going to be considered is because of Noah Hawley's previous wins with Fargo. Otherwise it would still be written off as genre tv no matter how many acclaims it gets.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

hope and vaseline posted:

None of that really matters to awards committees though. I'm betting the only reason this is going to be considered is because of Noah Hawley's previous wins with Fargo. Otherwise it would still be written off as genre tv no matter how many acclaims it gets.

Step 1) Establishment picks X to win award for Y
Step 2) X makes Z
Step 3) Y and Z are associated with each other
Step 3) Z is now part of the establishment

Not to diminish your feelings towards the establishment and its treatment of outsidethings, but like... that's kind of how it goes. It's totally unfair in a lot of ways, but if Legion gets a bump all of it gets a bump. To be honest, if the genre wasn't gaining so much momentum recently, Hawley and many of the other hands in making Legion great probably wouldn't be working in the genre.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Otherwise it would still be written off as genre tv no matter how many acclaims it gets.

Things have changed, Mr Robot won best actor last year. A comic book show with arthouse aspirations has a very good chance.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

punchymcpunch posted:

Things have changed, Mr Robot won best actor last year. A comic book show with arthouse aspirations has a very good chance.

I'm not sure how Mr. Robot is considered genre though? It's fairly grounded (at least in season 1) in the present world and is kind of a straightforward drama that also happens to deal with mental illness. Ok, dammit, that actually does kind of pave the way for Legion.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'm not sure how Mr. Robot is considered genre though? It's fairly grounded (at least in season 1) in the present world and is kind of a straightforward drama that also happens to deal with mental illness. Ok, dammit, that actually does kind of pave the way for Legion.

Hollywood hacking are basically mutants with tk and mind reading.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Robot is not in any way a "comic book show", and I wouldn't call it a genre show either. What's the genre? "hacking"?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Mr. Robot is not in any way a "comic book show", and I wouldn't call it a genre show either. What's the genre? "hacking"?

Again the way hacking is portrayed it's as much genre superpower tk guy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Techno-thriller?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Hollywood's perceived genre for both Mr. Robot and Legion is obviously

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

cyberpunk

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Techno-thriller?

This one is the closest I come to agreeing with but I still don't think that makes it a genre piece as opposed to a drama.

Serf
May 5, 2011

This for sure.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's an offshoot of science fiction which Mr. Robot most definitely is not

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

The lead character looks like a human/fish chimera, so I would go with aquatic adventure.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Anything that isn't a soap opera, a reality show, or a terrible police procedural is a "genre show".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Anything that isn't a soap opera, a reality show, or a terrible police procedural is a "genre show".

But those are all genres?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

But those are all genres?

They're not "genre shows". With quotation marks. Which, in this case, means "dismissable nerd stuff" like sci-fi, horror, or anything that doesn't neatly fit into the aforementioned categories.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trying to squeeze Mr. Robot into a "genre show" is giving me flashbacks to high school where kids would argue that some pop song or movie they like isn't REALLY pop because its actually totally something those other people don't get.

Don't define yourself by what you watch on TV. Its silly.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

That's an offshoot of science fiction which Mr. Robot most definitely is not

Yeah but the core themes of cyberpunk when they're not dealing with AI or VR are the vast gap between the corporations that run the world and those left scrounging to survive in their wake and the few who try to strike back.

It's super cyberpunk, it's just that cyberpunk became the modern day. Even William Gibson is just doing modern day stuff nowadays

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It can contain cyberpunk and techno-thriller themes without actually being either of those things. If I was being super descriptive I'd call it a character drama with a techno-thriller bent, but if we're just putting it in one category I'd have to go for drama. Especially after season 2, which is far less about the hacking stuff.

ANYWAY LEGION FINALE TONIGHT YEEEEAH

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Escobarbarian posted:

ANYWAY LEGION FINALE TONIGHT YEEEEAH

Whoa what? I thought it as 10 episodes.

Edit: poo poo, it is only 8. :(

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Dragonrah posted:

Whoa what? I thought it as 10 episodes.

Edit: poo poo, it is only 8. :(

Actually it was 12 episodes but we've all been Mandela effected by the Shadow king to forget.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Oasx posted:

It is a show that features people with superpowers, it is going to be put in the genre show box and get completely overlooked. Better shows than Legion have been snuffed because of this, a good example is John Noble on Fringe.

I'll take that bet, easy.

That stigma and the lame-rear end genre arguments that it produces are beginning to fade, and more importantly, this show is so loving nuts it makes it really difficult to view it as a standard superhero show within the first episode, and only further rejects genre (and all other) conventions as it continues. In fact, that rejection itself is likely to be what gives it its reach.

Hawley's already made his name with the critics with Fargo, and Plaza, the most mainstream actor on the cast, puts on the drat performance of her life. It's already picking up a lot of attention among non-nerds, and FX is completely cleaning up in general right now, so people are paying attention. I'm not gonna pretend like I know poo poo about TV awards, and this show might not get as much widespread love as I think it deserves (cuz I'm a huge loving Stan, clearly), but I really can't believe this show will be overlooked.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Heads up, according to critics who've already seen the episode there is a little extra something something during the credits tonight. Just in case you aren't like me and sit in mute shock as the credits roll trying to process what you just saw.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

howe_sam posted:

Heads up, according to critics who've already seen the episode there is a little extra something something during the credits tonight. Just in case you aren't like me and sit in mute shock as the credits roll trying to process what you just saw.

That's kinda like me, except I'm not so much "sitting in mute shock" as I am "applauding and laughing over the fact that this show even exists."

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

DivisionPost posted:

That's kinda like me, except I'm not so much "sitting in mute shock" as I am "applauding and laughing over the fact that this show even exists."

I've done both, at different episodes. I like how every credit music song is utterly perfect to whatever the gently caress just happened. it's good for decompressing a bit and absorbing it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Spatula City posted:

I've done both, at different episodes. I like how every credit music song is utterly perfect to whatever the gently caress just happened. it's good for decompressing a bit and absorbing it.

Every time the credits start to roll I give an almost instant "wait...". And watch it again now that I'm caught up and am only watching on Hulu.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol using Pink Floyd on a show with a character named Syd Barrett.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

lol using Pink Floyd on a show with a character named Syd Barrett.

Someone here literally posted about wondering whether there would be a pink Floyd inspired scene, that's crazy

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yup been waiting all season for a Pink Floyd song. Breath did not disappoint.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope the Shadow King shows up in Oliver's head next year and is played by Bret McKenzie.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope the Shadow King shows up in Oliver's head next year and is played by Bret McKenzie.

I'll also accept Rhys Darby.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That's a good hook for the next season

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
Hahah, WTF?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa