Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Intruder posted:

Since the Texans are bad at pass pro there'll be ample opportunities to make Romosacktual jokes

You're assuming there will be more than one Romo sack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fsif posted:

You're assuming there will be more than one Romo sack?

Dammit I was about to say that.

I sort of think there's a high likelihood that he has a literally crippling spine injury. It seems like the scariness of his injuries have been ramping up. Breaking your back is no loving joke, I honestly thought when I first heard it that it was certainly career ending because what kind of loving idiot keeps playing tackle football after breaking their back.

e. which reminds me, someone needs to stop jordan reed from playing any more, because he thinks Jesus is going to protect him.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 28, 2017

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Michael Corleone posted:

If you could really get 3 yards and a cloud of dust every play it would be cool if a team ran every down, took all the time off the playclock before each play and scored at the end of the half or game. You would only need one defensive stop to win! Would need to have 2 'units' of linemen though, and like 5 RB's.

Sounds good to me, maybe they can run the weirdo inverted wishbone the Chargers pulled out for like one game last season. They would need all of the OLinemen though, I agree

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Leperflesh posted:

I honestly thought when I first heard it that it was certainly career ending because what kind of loving idiot keeps playing tackle football after breaking their back.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

I honestly thought when I first heard it that it was certainly career ending because what kind of loving idiot keeps playing tackle football after breaking their back.

Bryce Petty played through the same injury in college. Basically Romo and Petty broke their rear end bones. Which I imagine is horribly painful to be fair.

I don't know, I can imagine a world where everything Romo had happen to him was just bad luck and he'll be fine until he normally breaks down because he's old.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Bryce Petty played through the same injury in college. Basically Romo and Petty broke their rear end bones. Which I imagine is horribly painful to be fair.

I don't know, I can imagine a world where everything Romo had happen to him was just bad luck and he'll be fine until he normally breaks down because he's old.

Yeah initial reporting was "he broke his back," once I found out what the actual injury was, it made more sense. And I do think he's just been quite unlucky for a lot of his injuries.

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

loquacius posted:

I've been stalking bartenders for about 17 years, okay? I don't write my titles anymore, I just earn them from my shitposts, you know what I'm saying, I can do that. No disrespect... but that's how I am :c00l:

:tipshat:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Jerry Jones has revealed when Romo's future will be decided.

Training camp

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Jerry Jones is a little baby with a giant ego.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Christ he looks like Doom Guy when you take a poo poo load of damage

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 29, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hope Romo gets a minor injury that nevertheless makes his 2017 salary guaranteed

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
18 teams lost cap space yesterday.

https://twitter.com/johnthebaines/status/846740566675263489

quote:

When the new CBA was agreed upon in 2011, the Salary Cap saw a reduction and, for the first few years, stagnation. The 2009 cap was close to 128 million. The 2011 cap was $120 million. The 2012 cap was $120.6 Million. The 2013 cap was $123 million. Foreseeing this slow increases in the League Cap , Article 11, Section 5, Paragraph (e) of the CBA (Transition Rules for the 2011 League Year) allowed for teams to create additional cap room (a maximum of $4.5 million – three million in 2011; one and a half million in 2012) in the early years of the new CBA by receiving credits but required teams to repay any “borrowed” amount during the 2014 through 2017 league years. The CBA left it up to the team to decide when to repay those amounts but any borrowed cap space had to be paid by the 2017 League Year.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I'm stunned patriots didn't GET 4.5 million buncha cheaters

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Surely this means the cowboys have to release Romo right?

Right?

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

PrinceRandom posted:

Right?

Nah, they extended Jason Witten four more years :hurr:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Isn't Witten like 32?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Isn't Witten like 32?

He still has his distortion field around him where anytime a defender gets near they suddenly drop to half speed.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Witten is the Tim Duncan of football. Woo another 4 yard catch for a first down..Oh look at that fundamentally sound inline blocking...

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Isn't Witten like 32?

He'll be 35 when the season starts.

Gates will be 37 :stare:

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

PrinceRandom posted:

Right?

Haven't really been following this story but if the Cowboys can't trade Romo, doesn't it make more sense to wait until the June 1 cuts for salary cap reasons? His hit would be huge if done right now, IIRC

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

warcrimes posted:

Haven't really been following this story but if the Cowboys can't trade Romo, doesn't it make more sense to wait until the June 1 cuts for salary cap reasons? His hit would be huge if done right now, IIRC

The Cowboys free up $5M in cap room with a cut, there isn't any reason to wait until June 1 unless they have a FA they really want to sign and need $$$ for.

I still think its dumb of the Cowboys are going to cut him. They are going to spend more than the $5M they save on a backup QB, who will be worse than Romo. So they end result will be using cap space to have a worse backup (unless they draft a QB to backup Dak).

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
You can designate players as a June 1st cuts right now if you want.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MrLogan posted:

The Cowboys free up $5M in cap room with a cut, there isn't any reason to wait until June 1 unless they have a FA they really want to sign and need $$$ for.

I still think its dumb of the Cowboys are going to cut him. They are going to spend more than the $5M they save on a backup QB, who will be worse than Romo. So they end result will be using cap space to have a worse backup (unless they draft a QB to backup Dak).

You can get a half decent backup QB for under a million dollars. The price only inflates if they are right around that 32nd best QB in the league mark, or have real or imagined potential to be there in the future. The nameless journeyman backups go for cheap tho.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Welcome back, Chase.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/847172998058483712

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrLogan posted:

Cutting him this year also means they don't have to eat a $9m dead money hit next year

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Friends, all-time winningest college quarterback Kellen Moore is Dak's backup, so we needn't factor replacement money into the equation

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/847198720798195712

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

I mentally combined T. J. McDonald and Field Yates' names and got confused as to how T. J. Yates got suspended.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a neat cape posted:

He'll be 35 when the season starts.

Gates will be 37 :stare:

gates is deceptively young though because (and this is some football trivia that not a ton of people know) he didn't play football in college. no, my friend, antonio gates played basketball.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

gates is deceptively young though because (and this is some football trivia that not a ton of people know) he didn't play football in college. no, my friend, antonio gates played basketball.

I was going to make a much worse joke about this and I'm glad I didn't.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Did the Eagles cut him and I missed the memo?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

Yeah as I understand it after asking about it earlier each team can designate two players to be June 1 cuts and then immediately release them after the new league year and free agency begins. Everyone else if you have more than 2 has to wait until the actual date. For accounting purposes these player's contracts remains on the books until June 1 and the team can spread the cap hit out over different years.

One of the few things that seems kinda nice for players in the CBA since typically they can get cut and go sign with someone else during the part of free agency where most of the big deals are signed. That is, unless Jerry Jones is holding you hostage because he's scared of another team in the state doing something.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Chase Daniel was only born in 1986 and has attempted less than 80 passes in the nfl

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I guess that says good things about the theoretical longevity of the Seahawks' O line? Albeit not for Russell Wilson's longevity.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Intruder posted:

Cutting him this year also means they don't have to eat a $9m dead money hit next year

You save $16M against the cap if you cut him next year. The $9M in dead money is going to hit, it's a matter if you want the dead money to hit against your 2017 cap or your 2018 cap.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Did the Eagles cut him and I missed the memo?

Asked for his release if I remember correctly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrLogan posted:

You save $16M against the cap if you cut him next year. The $9M in dead money is going to hit, it's a matter if you want the dead money to hit against your 2017 cap or your 2018 cap.

Which is why I specified that it won't hit next year. Cutting him this year not only nets you $5m in immediate cap space, but also an extra $9m in cap space next year

Not cutting/trading him means a) you miss out on $5m in cap space this year, b) you pay him $14 million to ride the pine and c) You have $9m less in cap space next year after cutting him. The fact that the cap hit accelerates to this year by cutting him or trading him doesn't mean it isn't still beneficial to do so

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also realistically he might have a tiny bit of trade value right now (like a late round pick or something) but if he sits on a bench for a year and is one year older, he's basically worthless.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well the problem is no one is going to trade for him, that's become pretty clear at this point

If Jerruh really waits until training camp he's loving Romo's ability to find a new team which is a bad look with future free agents. If the Texans weren't the team that was likely to sign Romo he probably would have been cut long ago ala DeMarcus Ware (who arguably had more trade value than Romo at the time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Can Romo be slipped a playbook by a Texan player to get up to speed a bit, or is that illegal, it probably is.

• Locked thread