Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

HellCopter posted:

Is there a shop that sells Pod upgrade materials? I bit the bullet and bought that trophy because I couldn't be bothered to farm for the Missile Pod stuff. I'll never know if it gets cool upgrades like the Gun and Laser.
Most everything can be easily farmed or bought except for the Pure Water. That's where my hangup is.

I also seem to have a severe lack of machine arms for my Level 4 weapon upgrades somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HellCopter posted:

Is there a shop that sells Pod upgrade materials? I bit the bullet and bought that trophy because I couldn't be bothered to farm for the Missile Pod stuff. I'll never know if it gets cool upgrades like the Gun and Laser.

Most of it is sold at the amusement park after C/D

RanKizama posted:

Most everything can be easily farmed or bought except for the Pure Water. That's where my hangup is.

I also seem to have a severe lack of machine arms for my Level 4 weapon upgrades somehow.
Source:
mind wiped Pascal

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

RanKizama posted:

Well you can buy those :smith:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Snak posted:

I guess that somehow I wasn't clear: I don't really like fantasy settings the way I like scifi settings. Yes, they're both just tools to tell stories, for me floating robots are okay while floating books are a turnoff.

edit: Like, sure I can believe that magical familiars as characters are common thing, but I can't name a game that I've liked that had one... I'm not sure I've technically played one...

I mean, Nier 1 is sci fi. The floating books are technology. There are androids in Nier.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

where does dependent weakling play in game? its in the soundtrack but i cannot remember whatsection its from

also lol there are two tracks name "wretched weaponry"

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

where does dependent weakling play in game? its in the soundtrack but i cannot remember whatsection its from

also lol there are two tracks name "wretched weaponry"

Route A final boss

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RanKizama posted:

Fortunately you only need 20 of those and they're confined to a very small and easily-navigated zone.

It's not good, but the first Nier's material farming grew a callus over my heart.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Source:
mind wiped Pascal
Oh, loving sweet. I haven't been back there since the end of the event and bought from him once.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
3 quick questions:

1: Download size?
2: Playable without a controller? If so, any good?
3: Can i dress up my robot waifu?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dongattack posted:

3 quick questions:

1: Download size?
2: Playable without a controller? If so, any good?
3: Can i dress up my robot waifu?

50gig on both platforms
Yes, but not good at all. Absolutely not recommended.
Sort of but not really. Only once you've finished the game.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

I mean, Nier 1 is sci fi. The floating books are technology. There are androids in Nier.

NieR is post sci-fi.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ah drat, that is a huuuuuge download! Curse this lovely wilderness net with a GB limit. I'll have to think about it some more then, cheers.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Joe Gillian posted:

NieR is post sci-fi.

I love that Automata is so far into this post-scifi magitek future that what magic there is isn't even called attention upon because it's what the scifi technology has ran on for 9000 years. It's just a normal part of the tech

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Joe Gillian posted:

NieR is post sci-fi.

Sounds high concept to me!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nina posted:

I love that Automata is so far into this post-scifi magitek future that what magic there is isn't even called attention upon because it's what the scifi technology has ran on for 9000 years. It's just a normal part of the tech

Oh yeah I forgot about the magic. They don't even use the word once in the game, do they? It's good.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Yeah, poo poo just has godlike powers and you're cool with it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's another way that the yorha androids are angelic.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I did ending A yesterday put let a lot of sidequests expire by accident. As a result I might be slightly underlevelled and item reliant.

Is it worthwhile to just redo the first playthrough for the sidequests from a gameplay or narrative point of view.

Ending C: I know there's a chapter select eventually.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about the magic. They don't even use the word once in the game, do they? It's good.

It's used when you're fighting Emil's clones in the desert. The Pod also makes it sound like magic is bad, bad news for even android defenses.

On that note I spoiled myself on the Emil clone battle and ohhhhh nooooooo :smith:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

SHISHKABOB posted:

The only time it's ever mentioned is in the second Emil boss fight because they're using straight up old style magical attacks

Even the Project Gestalt reports only make passing references.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It's one of the points where having played Nier really hammers home what an "uh oh" moment this is.

Knowing just how stupidly powerful Emil is really makes that line kind of terrifying. "Alert: Magical weapons from the old world detected."

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 29, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

iirc the japanese va even calls it "maso"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lets hang out posted:

iirc the japanese va even calls it "maso"

It does.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The reports also use the word but it'd sound a bit awkward in English dialogue and "magical element" requires less knowledge of fringe lore

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Is anyone having a problem with the Fix Automata Resolution mod?

Updated to latest version, game doesn't launch. Occasionally get the metal gear solid alert sound. Any help? Reverting to an older install runs the game but it doesn't actually help performance.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Randler posted:

I did ending A yesterday put let a lot of sidequests expire by accident. As a result I might be slightly underlevelled and item reliant.

Is it worthwhile to just redo the first playthrough for the sidequests from a gameplay or narrative point of view.

Unless you're level 1, you'll do fine.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Randler posted:

You'll find a way to manage in route B, I promise you.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

emils shop is five and a half minutes long

edit also only in japanese unfortunately.

Just listened to the whole thing for the first time.

:allears:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I got all the pods to level 4 legitimately, it's honestly not too bad other than the pure waters (which are a pain in the rear end but don't really take that long to farm up) and the gadgets (though I only had to go out of my way to farm for a handful of simple gadgets and one complex gadget that I got by repeating the weapon dealer's quest at the beginning of the game).

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I blinked, and now the FAR mod for PC has also managed to remove the game's 60FPS cap. Good news for people with high refresh rate monitors and hugely powerful GPUs I guess! It's seriously impressive how much they've fixed and improved with that mod.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Instant Grat posted:

I blinked, and now the FAR mod for PC has also managed to remove the game's 60FPS cap. Good news for people with high refresh rate monitors and hugely powerful GPUs I guess! It's seriously impressive how much they've fixed and improved with that mod.

... the mod's named FAR?

Is it a pun on Near?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Supremezero posted:

... the mod's named FAR?

Is it a pun on Near?

It stands for "Fix Automata Resolution", which was the only thing the first release did - now it also lets you massively boost performance by lowering Global Illumination quality, fixes the cutscene stuttering, improves the frame-limiter, and lets you uncork the 60FPS cap.

Also yes, it absolutely is.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
drat, that pun completely flew over my head (mostly because i've been calling it nierfix for myself)

Instant Grat posted:

Is that confirmed and tested to not gently caress up time-critical physics stuff? I've seen some of those de-limiters have subtle side effects in other console ports.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Is that confirmed and tested to not gently caress up time-critical physics stuff? I've seen some of those de-limiters have subtle side effects in other console ports.

I haven't tried, since I don't own a >60Hz display or a GPU that could drive it. If you do, I think the fastest way to find out is to just try it for yourself. Or I guess comb the Steam thread looking for reports.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

It stands for "Fix Automata Resolution", which was the only thing the first release did - now it also lets you massively boost performance by lowering Global Illumination quality, fixes the cutscene stuttering, improves the frame-limiter, and lets you uncork the 60FPS cap.

Also yes, it absolutely is.

I tried a couple versions of FAR along the way, and couldn't get rid of screen tearing no matter what I did. I always end up going back to a forced fullscreen borderless window.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Have 20% off for PSN so trying to decide if I go PS4 or PC. Any difference on the two platforms?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

bunky posted:

I tried a couple versions of FAR along the way, and couldn't get rid of screen tearing no matter what I did. I always end up going back to a forced fullscreen borderless window.

It disappeared for me just from enabling Vsync in game :shrug:

Rhaegar posted:

Have 20% off for PSN so trying to decide if I go PS4 or PC. Any difference on the two platforms?

The PC version has a fan-made patch/mod which solves a litany of issues (see my previous posts) - the Steam thread for it is here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/

It works just fine for most people, but others have issues with it - you could try it out and just get a Steam refund if it isn't working for you.

The PS4 version is fine, but drops frames sometimes. I don't know how much that matters to you.

EDIT: Also, unless you have a PS4 Pro, it runs at 1600x900.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What's the saving like after the tutorial? Like, how much progress are you looking at losing on average later on if you die? Died to the two saws 30-40 minutes into the tutorial and that refund button is looking really tempting.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dongattack posted:

What's the saving like after the tutorial? Like, how much progress are you looking at losing on average later on if you die? Died to the two saws 30-40 minutes into the tutorial and that refund button is looking really tempting.

There are savepoints dotted all around the world. You have to "activate" them once, and then you can quicksave from the start menu whenever you're even remotely close to one of them. Quick saves overwrite the most recent slot you saved in - if you wanna save in a different slot, you gotta hop over to the "system" tab and save from there in stead.

Play the intro mission on Normal, then bump it up to Hard afterwards if you want - you start with a chip equipped that automatically uses a healing item on you if you get below 30% HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Instant Grat posted:

There are savepoints dotted all around the world. You have to "activate" them once, and then you can quicksave from the start menu whenever you're even remotely close to one of them. Quick saves overwrite the most recent slot you saved in - if you wanna save in a different slot, you gotta hop over to the "system" tab and save from there in stead.

Play the intro mission on Normal, then bump it up to Hard afterwards if you want - you start with a chip equipped that automatically uses a healing item on you if you get below 30% HP.

It may or may not have been on Normal already, i don't wanna say :negative: