Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

My models are space elves. I have the rules for space elves. What is wrong about my models?

Are they actually Eldar models that are identifiable as the units and weapons show in the codex? Great!

If not, it's a bit like using star trek ships in x-wing, yes they're better designed and have deeper lore but it's a bit disrespectful to the person you're playing.

Wargaming ("the hobby") is all about mutual respect and the common decency to invest yourself in the setting at least as much as your opponent, whether that's over beer and pretzels in your friends garage ("Beerhammer") or in a local store ("PUGHammer"), or even during an intense tournament, respect is key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

Even Wolves must rest...

Awuuuuu :same:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
"This model is this thing. All the ones that look like it are exactly the same. These ones that look different are this thing. All the ones that look like it are identical."

"OK, but I don't think any Blood Angels have tits?"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hixson posted:

Just buy GW models? They're priced appropriately for their quality. Most people (me included) won't play with you if you have some stupid warmahordes or whatever models
At least in America that's not true. Most of our game stores either have about parity between GW and Warmahordes or a slight Warmahordes majority. Though this is assuming your store's manager doesn't have some weird obsession like trying to convince everyone Force of Wills is a good game.

ijyt posted:

But I already play League of Legends. I don't need new champions. We can play this game right now. If I play Dota 2, I may never learn the meta. I already main Teemo. I just want to spam dang mushrooms.
Hello Satan.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
i don't want to be overbearing and i certainly can't force someone to care for their own mental health via the internet but i would feel really awful if one of the 40k thread posters needed these resources and i didn't at least put them out there

http://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
http://hopeline.com/
http://www.suicide.org/suicide-hotlines.html

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

I agree. Brothers, it is with deep regret that I've decided to withdraw my Great Company back to the Aett and submit to spiritual cleansing by the Wolf Priests after one too many losses. My stubborness in refusing allies, even ones which are approved by the Rout such as the Imperial Knights allied to Fenris, Imperial Guard regiments seeking glory alongside the Rout, even the beautiful and war worthy Celestine .....

.... sigh, sorry can't make a nice narrative out of this. Put it simply, I'm tired of 40K and my wolves and will retire from the scene until 8th edition. Since I started in 2014, I've only made use of Space Wolves, first the 6th Ed codex, then Champions of Fenris, then Curse of the Wulfen. I keep telling myself that I don't need to jump on the allied or multiple detachment to defeat Eldar, Tau, Necrons or even our supposedly subpar (at least until Traitors Legion supplement) enemies the Chaos Space Marines. Now though, it appears that no matter what I do, even if I am tactically sound which according to most of my opponents I am, I keep handing myself the smackdown by choosing to face SM/CSM with Imperial Knights allies, Ynnari, Cawl buffed Mechanicum, and heck, most recently, a simple formation of 4 daemon princes called Tetrachs.

4 Daemons (plus a small CAD of nurgle daemons). Smashed my entire force of 1500 wolves. Which had Wulfen, Iron Priest on wolf, even a Stormfang Gunship for anti-air which I was anticipating, though not 4 FMCs. And to round it off, a small Deathpack formation to be able to run and charge a TWC gang and a Thunderlord with shield an sword. rest of army was 3 Drop pods of MSU.

If that isn't depressing, I don't know what is. I've been tabled before and was able to laugh like mad, even to Tau. This one along with many others just left a very sour taste in my mouth. They didn't just bring a gun to a knife fight. They brought automatic weapons, a tank, an F22 raptor and a nuke as well.

Sorry mates, my wolf spirit has been quenched, along with my 40K spirit. That being said, I haven't written off the hobby entirely and have decided to focus on just assembly and painting at least for a few months before going back, hopefully just in time for 8th Edition. I still love the Vlka Fenryka. I have no intention of going vanilla or any other army. But it looks like I have to accept in my heart that for a long time now, the Wolves have not been able to stand up themselves, even after Curse of the Wulfen came out.

A Blood Angel friend of mine has suggested 30K as an alternative, which I've accepted and therefore will be focusing on painting ALL my Burning of Prospero figures into the 6th Legion. Get me into the painting groove and at the same time, it's almost like making a fresh new army without giving up my first love of the Vlka Fenryka.

Another alternative is to find a different FLGS for different meta.

I just wish I could forget about competitiveness and just play with whatever the heck I want, even Swiftclaws and Skyclaws. Sadly if i do that, I'm handing a big "SMASH ME" sign to my whole meta. The kind of meta who will never play mutilators, non flying hive tyrant Tyrannid swarms or assault marines beyond skyhammer formation.

Don't know why I'm posting this, I guess I'm hoping that what I feel is normal among some of you old timers especially between edition changes, or whether you guys have ever felt "tired" of your army before.

Until the next winter.

I actually am in the same boat as you. I started my wolves almost 30 years ago in the early 1990's believe it or not. I have thousands of points of well painted models. However over the last year, I see GW going in a direction I don't want to go and honestly I don't think they are ever going back. Models will keep getting bigger and more powerful. I don't see 40k ever going back to a strick codex system, which is how I always played. I enjoyed 40k when each codex had strengths and weaknesses, now every codex has evolved to have access to all types of units and can overcome any sort of weakness with allies, formations etc. People talk of 8th edition streamlining- I don't see that happening as one of the biggest bloats is all the formations which we see in AOS. Who cares if they lop off a few rules but then continue to add formation after formation with free rules to where you never know what your opponents list can do. Some folks have blamed your experiences on the gamers, I don't believe that to be true, if that were the case GW's recent moves to this system would have failed- I imagine in a few years you'll see 40k gamers bringing armies with multiple primarchs, mixed in with warmachines etc and the majority of folks will love it. That just isn't for me and seemingly for you either. I want my gaming experience to be focused on the marine, the backbone of the legion, yet those days are long gone. When marine 2.0 is heralded in, I would suspect you will still have rules for marine 1.0 but in an effort to sell 2.0, those rules will be far superior to 1.0.

As you can see I have wrestled with this issue for awhile. We can't magically make new gaming friends. We can't conjure new gaming stores, nor fold space and time so we can drive an hour each way to get a game of 40k in with folks that prefer the game the way that we do. However, I will say this, 30k is a system at least in the present that is geared much more towards legion fighting legion. Yes, you might have to deal with a knight or some op units, but in general I think 30k folks are more inclined to bring balanced lists if you ask them to. I have met and game with 2 great guys here on B and C and whenever we play, the armies are always fairly balanced and we have good games. So I have totally switched over to 30k and really have no plans to ever return to 40k because I just think it will be more like AOS in the long run. My only issue is I have thousands of points of units in 40k that cant be represented in the 30k arena, but for right now the guys I play with are just fine with me proxying my stuff as I gradually add more FW units. I may end up repainting the armor of some of my Grey Hunter squads to give them a more 30k look.

All in all, I empathize with you, I've be in the game probably far longer than most, its easy for some folks to simply say, if you don't like it leave, but when you have invested years of your life (in my case decades) and have thousands of dollars of models, and umpteen hours in modelling and painting, it isn't quite that easy. You develop a vested interest in the game and hope GW will remember that you supported them through thick and thin- unfortunately that's not the way it works. GW is going to market to the new crowd and we have to adapt to find a way to continue to play and have fun.

I am only hoping they keep 30k they way it is, do whatever they want to 40k now, blow it up, whatever, but keep the semi balance they have in 30k.

Phew- sorry for the long winded post brother, but just know there are many folks in your position, whether they are vocal about it or no.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

i don't want to be overbearing and i certainly can't force someone to care for their own mental health via the internet but i would feel really awful if one of the 40k thread posters needed these resources and i didn't at least put them out there

http://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
http://hopeline.com/
http://www.suicide.org/suicide-hotlines.html

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Time will heal these wounds my friend. Wise counsel has been provided, take a break. Looking for a new group or even a like minded player within your existing group willing to 'dumb down' some games. I've had one guy that I've played with consistently for a few years now. He plays everything, I only play wolves but we're both relaxed, think that doing some 'dumb' stuff once in a while is OK and aren't really about power creep. The best part is that I can't tell you how many times other players have stopped at our table and asked the same question 'Are you guys over here LAUGHING?' because the idea of playing a game without the need to 'Crush your enemy, see him driven blah blah blah' is a foreign concept to many that play.

I played back in 5th edition through 'The Ward Time' as I call it. Blood Angels WRECKED, then Necons OWNED, then Grey Knights just sent people into apoplectic aneurysms. Then flyers became a thing and wolves had NO Anti-Air. I lost a lot of games over a long period of time and got super sour about it. Fortunately I had a couple of players that played older, "weaker" armies and that became my new group. At least then I lost games on the table not in the List Writing Phase and those don't hurt as bad.

Check around and look for someone who is also a little frustrated or would be willing to 'play down' for fun games. If not then as has been mentioned, a break may be in order.

Even Wolves must rest...

TTerrible posted:

I actually am in the same boat as you. I started my wolves almost 30 years ago in the early 1990's believe it or not. I have thousands of points of well painted models. However over the last year, I see GW going in a direction I don't want to go and honestly I don't think they are ever going back. Models will keep getting bigger and more powerful. I don't see 40k ever going back to a strick codex system, which is how I always played. I enjoyed 40k when each codex had strengths and weaknesses, now every codex has evolved to have access to all types of units and can overcome any sort of weakness with allies, formations etc. People talk of 8th edition streamlining- I don't see that happening as one of the biggest bloats is all the formations which we see in AOS. Who cares if they lop off a few rules but then continue to add formation after formation with free rules to where you never know what your opponents list can do. Some folks have blamed your experiences on the gamers, I don't believe that to be true, if that were the case GW's recent moves to this system would have failed- I imagine in a few years you'll see 40k gamers bringing armies with multiple primarchs, mixed in with warmachines etc and the majority of folks will love it. That just isn't for me and seemingly for you either. I want my gaming experience to be focused on the marine, the backbone of the legion, yet those days are long gone. When marine 2.0 is heralded in, I would suspect you will still have rules for marine 1.0 but in an effort to sell 2.0, those rules will be far superior to 1.0.

As you can see I have wrestled with this issue for awhile. We can't magically make new gaming friends. We can't conjure new gaming stores, nor fold space and time so we can drive an hour each way to get a game of 40k in with folks that prefer the game the way that we do. However, I will say this, 30k is a system at least in the present that is geared much more towards legion fighting legion. Yes, you might have to deal with a knight or some op units, but in general I think 30k folks are more inclined to bring balanced lists if you ask them to. I have met and game with 2 great guys here on B and C and whenever we play, the armies are always fairly balanced and we have good games. So I have totally switched over to 30k and really have no plans to ever return to 40k because I just think it will be more like AOS in the long run. My only issue is I have thousands of points of units in 40k that cant be represented in the 30k arena, but for right now the guys I play with are just fine with me proxying my stuff as I gradually add more FW units. I may end up repainting the armor of some of my Grey Hunter squads to give them a more 30k look.

All in all, I empathize with you, I've be in the game probably far longer than most, its easy for some folks to simply say, if you don't like it leave, but when you have invested years of your life (in my case decades) and have thousands of dollars of models, and umpteen hours in modelling and painting, it isn't quite that easy. You develop a vested interest in the game and hope GW will remember that you supported them through thick and thin- unfortunately that's not the way it works. GW is going to market to the new crowd and we have to adapt to find a way to continue to play and have fun.

I am only hoping they keep 30k they way it is, do whatever they want to 40k now, blow it up, whatever, but keep the semi balance they have in 30k.

Phew- sorry for the long winded post brother, but just know there are many folks in your position, whether they are vocal about it or no.

Thank you, brothers. You kind words warm even this heart that the cold of Fenris had frozen. For now I will take a break and let my wolves rest a while. The pups definitely deserve it after all the beatings we've taken from our enemies.

You know, I've always wanted to go on a spiritual pilgrimage and find my totem animal. Of course I already know it's a wolf, but I wonder what kind of wolf. So much of my time has been used on 40k that I could only entertain the idea... but now I think I can do it. I could find myself, my true vlka fenryka self.

Again thank you brothers. I think I know what I must do now. May the Great Wolf watch over you all.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

that is a funny cat picture and I hope it makes someone smile during these trying times

thanks for caring, my friend!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

that is a funny cat picture and I hope it makes someone smile during these trying times

We're all friends here in the death thread :glomp:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Avenging Dentist posted:

I already posted the wednesday frog thread link and I think more people should go to that thread and enjoy wednesday :)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

ijyt posted:

Are they actually Eldar models that are identifiable as the units and weapons show in the codex? Great!

I bought a bunch of Eldar models from GW, but then they changed the Eldar so that they no longer have access to the weapons on my models, and added weapons to units that are not reflected on the versions of the models I own. Can I use my official GW Eldar models, even though they don't match what is in the current codex?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I already posted the wednesday frog thread link and I think more people should go to that thread and enjoy wednesday :)

it really warms my heart to see people here who care about the well-being of their fellow posters but i feel like maybe byob is a little "scary" or "intimidating" to outsiders??? maybe it's not a reputation they deserve, but i wouldn't want people to feel left out because of their nervousness about posting in a strange place

perhaps it would help if we posted some encouraging/soothing images in this very thread? i'll start

these foxes are very cute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS8ILCzbP5A

these baby hedgehogs might have a bit of a cold but don't worry they'll be ok!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGl8FvzAwvc

this cat is not happy but it's ok because his owner loves him very much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvxCU_lQwKM

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Classic thread favorite too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRIVTEBaLkA

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Imagine the depths of bad taste to which you must descend to pick up a box of Malifaux figures and go "yeah these look good".

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

I just noticed they all got little gloves :shobon:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Y'all are biting on some seriously low effort trolls today.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 31, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Y'all sre bit ing on some seriously low effort trolls today.

there's no need for name-calling. these people are hurting enough as it is and i think we should do our best to be supportive, even though they feel like the only thing they can do right now is to lash out at the people who care about them

look at this malnourished puppy! i sure am glad that he got the help he needs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Q6Zs3R4IQ

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 29, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

there's no need for name-calling. these people are hurting enough as it is and i think we should do our best to be supportive, even though they feel like the only thing they can do right now is to lash out at the people who care about them
This discussion has been had before, by more dedicated and grander neckbeards than us. The following :

http://www.navweaps....ch/tech-076.htm

is a NAVY research paper addressing just the topic we are discussing, albeit in a different form: what is more efficient, battleships or destroyers? Guess what the result is. The statistical maths (simulated) demonstrates that a larger group of destroyers are superior to a smaller group of more lethally condensed battleships. This holds true especially when the number of guns remains the same.

The rest of the world addresses the concept we are discussing as Distributed Lethality. It has become accepted naval doctrine for quite some time now. The N-Squared law is specifically why wargamers around the world, be they historic, modern or future, have always spouted boys over toys. Warhammer gamers have traditionally struggled with the concept, as the roll of victories my "2x Firewarrior EMP Platoon" had demonstrated back in the day. And I hear Kroot can snipe now. Hell, if I go back to Tau I could take down the Riptide meta all by myself.

Thank you for reading this. I spent an hour searching for the link (the whole site is a treasure-trove), before my browser made me re-write this post three times. Rest assured the beatings will continue until performance improves.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Good heavens! This kind of ruffianism never happens in the Infinity thread.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

That makes sense: people only get emotionally invested in good games.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

i'm happy to see that you're taking the first step toward accepting the pain you feel right now

just remember that we all care about you and want you to be happy! :glomp:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Why would I be in pain? I play the finest miniatures game on the market.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oh cool you didn't mention you played Warmachine as well. :)

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oh man that's a thread title if I ever heard one:

Death thread 2017: Why would I be in pain? I play the finest miniatures game on the market.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The Death Thread falling for it like a 17 year old falling for a GW release

TKIY posted:

When I said 'Ban Me' what I meant was 'I really want a Bahn Mi'.

:yeah:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

panascope posted:

Why would I be in pain? I play the finest miniatures game on the market.

It's cool to meet another AT 43 player in the forums! Which factions do you play? I play all of them but Red Blok is my main because I like Space Communists.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What got the bad thread posters so riled up?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

GW still smells butts

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Also can we talk about what kinda sigmarification to expect from 8th?

I think deldar and eldar kinda get semi squatted into a new aeldari soulbastion faction.

I don't see any armies getting the bretonnia treatment apart from maybe sisters but I do think most of the old teams will get the whole free inferior free rules thing with new releases coming as effective subfactions made up of only half a dozen unique units ala Fyreslyrers that sort of obsolete the old models that or maybe even like the archaon guard where there's a whole codez for some REALLY expensive guys.
True scale Marines kinda hints at this but I don't think they'd do that to marines, maybe a team of Primarchforged Thunderbattlers that are more expensive and better marines.

The general AoS approach where existing teams are given a cursory free booklet and streamlined into single factions but then GW complicates things by e.g. creating 3 dwarf armies that can't fully ally.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

How's your gundam kit, Moola?

very cool and good!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Crackbone posted:

GW still smells butts

mods?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

nopantsjack posted:

I don't see any armies getting the bretonnia treatment apart from maybe sisters

I am honestly more and more surprised every passing edition they haven't just squatted sisters already.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The sisters will probably never get truly squatted because the fluff writers like using them so much.

How they use them is another matter completely.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Maybe all the armies get the warmachine style synergy stuff which will basically bake formation type rules into every army.

If you buy the new stuff it'll probably carry over at least, I'd be nervous if I had any old armies or models though.
Guilliman will probably be kicking about and so will Ynnead or whoever the new eldar god is he will presumably lead the eldar replacement faction the Yneearri.

Slaanesh will go, maybe khorne maybe nurgle becomes the big god if they want to differentiate it from AoS.

The remaining faithful playing AoS seem to hoover up every new faction that comes out so I think they'll go that route. This week's new codex are the Ogrynblood Battlebruisers and next week will see the rerelease of the Necrontyr Metalstalkers. Stay tuned later in the month for the Emperor's Lost Son Sigmar to ride the lightning out of the eye of terror with his Stormforged Eternators!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Instead of getting squatted they'll just get the Empire from fantasy treatment as will every army except marines and chaos, orks and eldar who will get the Slaves to Darkness/black orruks kinda treatment where they're semi baked into new factions or like flesheater courts where parts of them are repackaged into new smaller factions that are perhaps unlikely to see updates.

E these are just my predictions phone posting from my bed I am not Nostradamus and my uncle doesn't work at GW.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

:chloe:

TIL 40k players are so brokebrained they think their game getting Sigmared is a good thing.

NTRabbit posted:

He gazed up at the enormous logo. Fourteen years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark storefront. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Games Workshop

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

lol they don't respond to people who don't actually play the game going THIS IS GONNA BE lovely ARE YOU SCARED ARE YOU MAD YET BE MAD

those brokebrain motherfuckers.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
ARE YOU SCARED YET MOTHERFUCKERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm scared hold me

• Locked thread