Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Well Fenn played a literal grandma in Shameless a few seasons ago so we're in the clear on creepiness this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Well, given what I've heard about how Boyle acts behind the scenes, if given the choice between her and Fenn, Fenn wins big.

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRXWkBQ80hs

Trailer is up for IT

cowbeef fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 29, 2017

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Honestly I think the best IT movie would probably ignore all the adult stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

I always thought the Laura Flynn Boyle being jealous while dating Kyle MacLachlan to make the most sense.

That's the one I've always gone with.

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010

weekly font posted:

Honestly I think the best IT movie would probably ignore all the adult stuff.

I sort of agree. Didn't care too much about the careers and spouses that followed in the adult life. If King had trimmed out some of the content it would have probably been finished by more readers. However, the early chapter where Stan gets the phone call and commits suicide was very well done and still gives me the creeps. The way Stan's wife grew increasingly anxious as she called his name and entered the bathroom was so tense.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
New IT trailer makes me think they got it right, somehow. I appreciate that they only show Pennywise, but not how he talks/acts/etc.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Goddamn it the trailer looks so stupid. It seems they're trying to turn the story into cheap scares and bland horror stuff, which is saddening. The book was so much more and I can't help but thinking that if this didn't land in better hands (director wise especially) it's because King is, as usual, dumb as gently caress when it comes to cinematic versions of his books.

Here's to hoping it turns out to be a good movie somehow.

EDIT: is that the Oldboy cinematographer? That's good news.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 29, 2017

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This looks good except for Pennywise.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Re: Channel Zero

Syfy's video player on the website sucks complete rear end.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Wait why is Pennywise a literal kid that was in Allegiant?

That's bad news.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like that they appear to be keeping at least some of the stuff having to do with the fire at the Black Spot. That story is one of the creepiest parts of the book and I don't think its ever touched on in Tim Curry version.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think it looks pretty good, although I'm really itching to read Cary Fukunaga's version of the script.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Honestly my biggest problem is with Pennywise's design. In the book he's basically described as looking like a "normal" 50's-era television host Bozo-type character. It hunts by using subterfuge, and it sees being a clown as being an easy way to lure in kids. Hell, after the initial shock of seeing Pennywise pop up in the storm drain Georgie goes on to have a full conversation with him, and expresses more confusion at this clown being in the sewers than outright fear. This weird, grungy Silent Hill-looking interpretation really misses the mark on all of that. Pennywise isn't scary because he has claws; he's scary because he knows what makes you afraid, and uses it to the fullest effect.

Otherwise I think the trailer looks decent enough. The slideshow is a fun update to the living photograph album bit. And it looks like they're going to use the burning of the Black Spot for Mike's encounter with It, instead of the giant bird. I'm okay with that. It's certainly a way more visceral image. And I'm perfectly okay with the story sticking to the kids. I actually think that's a really smart move.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 29, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This makes me think that holy poo poo, this movie is going to be pretty good.

Holy poo poo, part 2 with the adults is going to be MISERABLE.

Thankfully I can ignore the second part exists!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Honestly my biggest problem is with Pennywise's design. In the book he's basically described as looking like a "normal" 50's-era television host Bozo-type character. It hunts by using subterfuge, and it sees being a clown as being an easy way to lure in kids. Hell, after the initial shock of seeing Pennywise pop up in the storm drain Georgie goes on to have a full conversation with him, and expresses more confusion at this clown being in the sewers than outright fear. This weird, grungy Silent Hill-looking interpretation really misses the mark on all of that. Pennywise isn't scary because he has claws; he's scary because he knows what makes you afraid, and uses it to the fullest effect.

Otherwise I think the trailer looks decent enough. The slideshow is a fun update to the living photograph album bit. And it looks like they're going to use the burning of the Black Spot for Mike's encounter with It, instead of the giant bird. I'm okay with that. It's certainly a way more visceral image. And I'm perfectly okay with the story sticking to the kids. I actually think that's a really smart move.

To be fair, once IT keys in on the Losers and starts coming after them, there are scenes where he is outright scary. The scene you mention with the claws is one of those, and there's a very specific reason IT has claws in that scene.

So based on that trailer alone I think its best to reserve judgment, because it doesn't show any actual interactions with Pennywise. We may be worrying for no reason.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How do you end a movie that is supposed to end with a child orgy without directly copying from the TV movie? I would not want to be the person who figures that out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
By...Not including the child orgy???

drat, is it that hard for you weekly font?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They changed whole scenes and monsters to move the story by three decades and invented a new bully character, I think they can write around a pre-teen gangbang.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Fart City posted:

If you freeze frame on the clown reveal at the end, it's all clean and normal looking. I'm guessing he gets grungy once he narrows in on the group and is trying to scare them.

IT book question: Isn't there a scene where in like 1890 the creature kills a bunch of lumber jacks with an axe out in the middle of nowhere at a bar? Was it in clown form for that? Is that the Black Spot you're talking about? I always thought that was an interesting visual, along with the giant bird stuff. But it's been years and I can't remember it too well.

Violator fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 29, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

How do you end a movie that is supposed to end with a child orgy without directly copying from the TV movie? I would not want to be the person who figures that out.

If you ignore the implications for whatever weirdness is going on inside Stephen King's head, the sex scene serves a fairly simple purpose in the story that could easily be accomplished any number of different ways. As bizarre as it sounds, the reason they have sex is so they can be sure that their memory of that day couldn't possibly ever fade. They want to remember IT just in case it ever comes back.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ffs holy poo poo man reading comprehension.

I wouldn't want to be the one to come up with a :siren: NEW NOT CHILD ORGY ENDING :siren: because the entire novel inexplicably leads up to that horrible mistake of a moment and you're inventing things whole cloth. The TV series did a pretty poo poo job of it with the battery acid inhaler and I hope they have a cool, satisfying (and obviously NOT KID SEX) ending this time but I think it's a tricky writing task.

Basebf555 posted:

If you ignore the implications for whatever weirdness is going on inside Stephen King's head, the sex scene serves a fairly simple purpose in the story that could easily be accomplished any number of different ways. As bizarre as it sounds, the reason they have sex is so they can be sure that their memory of that day couldn't possibly ever fade. They want to remember IT just in case it ever comes back.

I actually forgot that aspect of it and you're right. There are a lot of ways they can go with symbols of childhood / loss of innocence that would serve the same purpose. I just hope they don't get lazy again and default to "kill it with imagination powers!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Edit: post not relevant anymore

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Violator posted:

If you freeze frame on the clown reveal at the end, it's all clean and normal looking. I'm guessing he gets grungy once he narrows in on the group and is trying to scare them.

IT book question: Isn't there a scene where in like 1890 the creature kills a bunch of lumber jacks with an axe out in the middle of nowhere at a bar? Was it in clown form for that? Is that the Black Spot you're talking about? I always thought that was an interesting visual, along with the giant bird stuff. But it's been years and I can't remember it too well.

The Black Spot was the African American bar/club that is firebombed by white supremists. Mike Hanlon's father survived the fire and was who passed the story on. The lumberjack bit wasn't It either, but some guy who just goes nuts. Both cases were examples of how It's presence in Derry was like a toxic element that infected the townspeople and would occasionally blow up in horrific acts of violence..

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

The Black Spot was the African American bar/club that is firebombed by white supremists. Mike Hanlon's father survived the fire and was who passed the story on. The lumberjack bit wasn't It either, but some guy who just goes nuts. Both cases were examples of how It's presence in Derry was like a toxic element that infected the townspeople and would occasionally blow up in horrific acts of violence..

Of course, IT is always right there to hoover up the suffering. IT's seen outside the nightclub in the form of a gigantic bird snatching up survivors and flying off with them. They're presumed dead in the fire but we know what happened because Mike's dad witnessed it..

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
IT looks fantastic. King blessed the cut, and we know how pissy he gets when you deviate from his themes, so I'm hopeful that they stay intact. We all know there will be changes; King's stuff doesn't always translate literally or in a way that's coherent on camera (Dreamcatcher, ugh, not that the book was great, but that loving movie was unwatchable).

Two movies may be enough to let the enormous source material breathe, though I don't really care about the adults- IT targets children, and is very much a childhood nightmare, and I like that vein better.

Also, here's to hoping they tone down the Kingisms and how he thinks children talk. Beep beep Ritchie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously I feel so sorry for the second part of this movie.

The kid stuff is THE BEST stuff. All of the adult stuff is just bleh

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

ffs holy poo poo man reading comprehension.

I wouldn't want to be the one to come up with a :siren: NEW NOT CHILD ORGY ENDING :siren: because the entire novel inexplicably leads up to that horrible mistake of a moment and you're inventing things whole cloth. The TV series did a pretty poo poo job of it with the battery acid inhaler and I hope they have a cool, satisfying (and obviously NOT KID SEX) ending this time but I think it's a tricky writing task.

Isn't the battery acid inhaler in the book too?

Anyway, it sounds like Fukunaga's draft may have included some version of the child orgy which is why he was dropped from the project.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The coolest thing about its bird form is that it's held aloft by balloons and doesn't actually flap its wings.

I'm glad there's a brief glimpse of a normal clown look. And honestly I don't mind the sinister style at all if its something that's seen more sparingly in the actual movie.

It'd be cool if they used both like that seen in American Psycho where Willem DaFoe is questioning Christian Bale. They did two different cuts with the same dialog, but one where DaFoe is super suspicious and has figured out Bale is a killer, and one where he's more indifferent and doesn't suspect him of anything. Then they mixed and matched his deliveries in the final scene to make it disorienting. I don't know if/how they plan on portraying It as a bird/etc. but to me that could be really effective switches now and then in different shots since that kind of dream logic is pretty much how It's appearances go in the book.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It's been like 20 years since I've read the book but isn't there also a scene where the bully kids are sucking each other's dicks in the junkyard while Beverly hides and watches?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Isn't the battery acid inhaler in the book too?

Anyway, it sounds like Fukunaga's draft may have included some version of the child orgy which is why he was dropped from the project.

I thought it was just the slingshot? Or maybe that's what was invented? For as good as that book was it was so loving dense that I can't remember details of pretty important moments.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kevyn posted:

It's been like 20 years since I've read the book but isn't there also a scene where the bully kids are sucking each other's dicks in the junkyard while Beverly hides and watches?

This happens and IIRC later on another kid is there and runs into a homeless guy that is probably also It trundles after him screaming that he'll suck the kid's dick for a quarter over and over again.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

I thought it was just the slingshot? Or maybe that's what was invented? For as good as that book was it was so loving dense that I can't remember details of pretty important moments.

The TV adaptation had them use pieces of silver. Not that silver would actually kill IT, but their belief of silver as a pop-culture weapon against the supernatural made them actually deadly because imagination.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

This happens and IIRC later on another kid is there and runs into a homeless guy that is probably also It trundles after him screaming that he'll suck the kid's dick for a quarter over and over again.

The leper's in this adaption, as it happens. There's a shot in the trailer of one of the kids running towards the camera away from the house on Neibolt Street (i.e. the decrepit Tim Burton house), and you can just barely make out near the bottom of the frame that the leper is chasing him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How about we just agree Stephen King needs to not do sexual things with Kids

Can we all agree on that I think we can I hope we can

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

It's the only book I know that he's done that, though. Right? Even Firestarter, with all its weird sexual quirks and being written in a drugged haze, didn't do anything like that.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Burkion posted:

no one here is of the opposite position

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

The TV adaptation had them use pieces of silver. Not that silver would actually kill IT, but their belief of silver as a pop-culture weapon against the supernatural made them actually deadly because imagination.

I'd assume they went with that because they didn't want to have to get into all the metaphysical stuff with the rituals and the Turtle. I wonder how this version will handle that. Audiences may be a little more primed for that kind of story element in 2017 than they were in 1990.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'd assume they went with that because they didn't want to have to get into all the metaphysical stuff with the rituals and the Turtle. I wonder how this version will handle that. Audiences may be a little more primed for that kind of story element in 2017 than they were in 1990.

I don't think it will. Despite everything, they're gonna play it safe on that stuff. They only have a total of 4 hours for the whole story. It just seems like it's not enough time to get them invested in giant monster turtles and CHUD rituals.

If they had made it into a mini-series, I think there would be more room to get audiences to go for the weirder poo poo. edit: example, if Stranger Things were only 2 hours, it'd have a harder time selling Demigorgons in the Upside Down Place because the psychic girl is too strong.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Burkion posted:

I think the really surprising thing is that it got printed. None of the editors said "Hey man, maybe you can have them do a blood brothers oath or something instead? Cut their fingers instead of group sex?"