Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

boy are my arms tired posted:

a "friend" of mine wrote up several paragraphs in text message form about The Sterling's botw review score and i replied back with a "lol but he's right tho"

he still isn't talking to me

7s are fine, if a game gets like a 5 thats when i start to eyeball it a bit

No, you see, he's payed by Sony to be a shill because he gave Horizon a 9.5/10 and gave the Nintendo open world game a 7/10. Sony paid him for the good review score and to slander Nintendo-sempai!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

My favourite recent examples were when all the previews for Mass Effect 4 came out and almost everyone was dunking on it and you'd get people cherrypicking the one remotely positive comment in the mountain and they'd bring this one example up as a "see, it can't be bad, this person likes it and is saying what I want to hear about it, literally everyone else is dumb as gently caress unlike me and this poster!"

Now it's a bad game because of SJWs or somesuch nonsense. Careful Zelda fanbase, the Mass Effect fanbase are gunning for the crown of poo poo!

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, I just finished Zelda and the Dungeons and Bosses are weak. It shouldnt have gotten perfect 10s for regressing the most popular gameplay aspect of the series.

Its not a seven, in any case, tho. Or if it is, Horizon is also a 7. They mirror each other pretty hard.

I wanna say both games are strong 8s.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The issue is no one really respects anyone else's opinion on the internet.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arist posted:

this happened to me in this very forum, I have to include in every post that I like the game and people still freak out

don't worry aristocrates i will attack you regardless of your opinion

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i think Zelda owns and I agree with the 10's but also I see what criticism people have and if they don't like it, that it is also fine

Game Review discourse is honestly one of my least favorite things in the world, but recently it feels brought on by so many good games coming out, so that's cool

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

don't worry aristocrates i will attack you regardless of your opinion

thank u

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

people on this forum flipped the gently caress out when undertale (fuckin lol) was one of the top games on metacritic and then more people started reviewing it and it dipped down

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember when undertale won that gamefaqs best game ever contest

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah that was tight

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The way I did game reviews back when I did game reviews was no score because if I can't help you figure out whether or not you'd enjoy the game by giving you my impressions of it via what it does good or not and what it's like, I wrote a poo poo review anyway so that's my bad I failed.

If you're just scrolling for a review score, why bother "reading" a review?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Twilight Princess 8.8/10

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

slev posted:

Twilight Princess 8.8/10

Jeff was too forgiving imo

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Norns posted:

The issue is no one really respects anyone else's opinion on the internet.

i respect everyone's opinion, personally

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

slev posted:

Twilight Princess 8.8/10

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
here is the baal review of P5

+Pretty much everything has been streamlined to go infinitely smoother from combat to moving around town to how quickly Confidants progress
+The main cast all feel varied and like everyone has a purpose and it is fun to watch them be buds
+The story of the game is much more interesting and hits higher highs than before in the series
+The music is v good
+The town is huge as gently caress and there is a shitton of stuff to do
+The JP voice cast is amazing
+Everyone feels super different to use and Baton Pass is an awesome mechanic
-After the first target the story takes loving forever to go anywhere significant until the last few dungeons of the games and no one really compares to the first target for a long time
-Mementos is rear end
-There are even more social stat blocks in S. Links than before
-There is no progress bar in social stats so you never know how much progress you are making until it levels up
-Haru is a character
-Checkpoints are placed very strangely in dungeons sometimes and it creates a really annoying struggle sometimes in reaching the next one
-The game's difficulty is essentially centered around SP management and main character death

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

twilight princess is like a 6.5/10

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
tl;dr 2/10

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

+Pretty much everything has been streamlined to go infinitely smoother from combat to moving around town to how quickly Confidants progress
+The main cast all feel varied and like everyone has a purpose and it is fun to watch them be buds
+The story of the game is much more interesting and hits higher highs than before in the series
+The music is v good
+The town is huge as gently caress and there is a shitton of stuff to do
+The JP voice cast is amazing
+Everyone feels super different to use and Baton Pass is an awesome mechanic
-After the first target the story takes loving forever to go anywhere significant until the last few dungeons of the games and no one really compares to the first target for a long time
-Mementos is rear end
-There is no progress bar in social stats so you never know how much progress you are making until it levels up
-Haru is a character
-Checkpoints are placed very strangely in dungeons sometimes and it creates a really annoying struggle sometimes in reaching the next one
-The game's difficulty is essentially centered around SP management and main character death

a crack team of greasenerds are tracking your personal info as we speak for giving it SEVEN!!!! minuses

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The way I did game reviews back when I did game reviews was no score because if I can't help you figure out whether or not you'd enjoy the game by giving you my impressions of it via what it does good or not and what it's like, I wrote a poo poo review anyway so that's my bad I failed.

If you're just scrolling for a review score, why bother "reading" a review?
I always liked Jeff Gerstmann's argument for having review scores, in that there's no reason to give a reader less information. Like, yeah it can feel like cheapening your work by then slapping a number at that people will get mad about, but good folks will hopefully still read the words. Again, most don't, but still, I like the idea

Arist posted:

Jeff was too forgiving imo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Is Haru a bad character like how Ken is a bad character, or a bad character like how goons don't like Ai even though she is the secret best character.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

From what I understand there's nothing to her, so she's more a bad character like how Koromaru is a bad character

I'm not loving backing down on that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Is Haru a bad character like how Ken is a bad character, or a bad character like how goons don't like Ai even though she is the secret best character.
i think he just finds haru boring, not annoying

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
good Ai was so loving good

love a mean girl

Captain Baal posted:

im the dumbass where I like this in theory idk if I will in the game

Dojima and Nanako's link being the only one in P4 where you need like high Understanding or whatever to progress because of how real it got was cool and i wished there were more at the time

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Here's my review of Person 5

+ one of your friends is a cat and a car at the same time
- no Lightning

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Saint Freak posted:

She isn't even a bad character, her personal story is competent and there's nothing wrong with her on writing, but she's just got nothing going for her. She's just a demure ojou-sama with a really boring character that has been done to death in this loving series and we did not need another one. Just imagine Mitsuru and Yukiko's S. Links combined and you have Haru, but she likes plants so I guess that's more than Mitsuru at least.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
People who give a poo poo about review scores are lol.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
In terms of reviews and scores I just want the game to do well, and reach more people. If that then allows for more content like it to be created, then even better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I will never be over how P3's artbook had a dev comment basically saying that Ken's entire character was based around his tiny pants.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ai is legit one of the best Social Links in P4.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Zore posted:

People who give a poo poo about review scores are lol.

i give this post a 4/8

Neeksy posted:

In terms of reviews and scores I just want the game to do well, and reach more people. If that then allows for more content like it to be created, then even better.

agreed

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Captain Baal posted:

She isn't even a bad character, her personal story is competent and there's nothing wrong with her on writing, but she's just got nothing going for her. She's just a demure ojou-sama with a really boring character that has been done to death in this loving series and we did not need another one. Just imagine Mitsuru and Yukiko's S. Links combined and you have Haru, but she likes plants so I guess that's more than Mitsuru at least.

At least she knows what a hamburger is.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Ai and Saki Konishi's bro were my fav S. Links in 4, i remember really liking them

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Arist posted:

Ai is legit one of the best Social Links in P4.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She is at least not as socially inept at Mitsuru, yes.

Moltrey posted:

Ai and Saki Konishi's bro were my fav S. Links in 4, i remember really liking them

Those were two of my favs as well

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like that you can accept Ai's offer to date her to make her feel better and then at the end of her Link she goes all "I was just really emotionally vulnerable" and breaks up with you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The worst S.Link in P4 is the girl with the trumpet. I don't remember her name, she's too boring to be worth googling.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
All I currently know about haru is that she has a giant forehead

Shogi girl was the first design that really stuck out to me once everyone was revealed.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

dont all animes have giant foreheads tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shogi girl should have been a party member

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
shogi girl should teach you actual shogi i wanna play

Captain Baal posted:

Those were two of my favs as well
word

I also remember liking Yosuke's a lot, but I feel more likely to be wrong on that. Like I remember they actually made him a good dude put in a bad spot in his scenes, but also S. Link Yosuke and plot scene Yosuke were two completely different people

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 29, 2017