Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

. .

Made a few because why not

If we're doing avatar requests, can you make a loop of the bit at the beginning where griffin says "What's their name?" :] Just the little fuckin mouth flap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

kidcoelacanth posted:

. .

Made a few because why not

these are amazing. I also love this face:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hmmm, it seems like travis is the cutest one

but griffin is the best one

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I feel like Travis's joke power levels have been increasing the last few eps. Like he's been funnier? Maybe he's hitting his sleep-deprived new dad stride. Tired dad powers introduced us to glass shark and probably other bits I can't think of.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
So I'm relistening to the My Sister, My Sister and Me bonus episode, and as much as people complain about Justin and Travis sounding the same, I'm having so much more trouble discerning between Sydnee, Theresa and Rachel's voices, even though I hear Sydnee's voice on the reg on Sawbones.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I think some people are just aurally challenged because Justin and Travis really don't sound much alike at all.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

I think some people are just aurally challenged because Justin and Travis really don't sound much alike at all.

When I first started listening I couldn't tell them apart, looking back I have no idea how.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mikey Purp posted:

I could mostly tell the difference but I had to think about it a lot, and it took me away from actually listening to the show. I think I'm just more visual because now that I've watched the show and can better fit faces to voices, I have no issues identifying them through sound alone.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah everyone I've introduced to the podcast has this problem at first, but after a month or so you wonder how you ever thought they sounded the same.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mikey Purp posted:

I think I had somewhat of a headstart since I was introduced to McElroys through Monster Factory, so I could already tell Justin and Griffin apart by the time I started listening to MBMBaM.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Serf posted:

Yeah everyone I've introduced to the podcast has this problem at first, but after a month or so you wonder how you ever thought they sounded the same.

I didn't have that much issue with the soft boys but there's a couple LP channels I watch and it takes me ages to make out who is who.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Justin/Travis mixup I get, because they're brothers with similar voices. I think the people who complain about telling the We Hate Movies guys apart need to come to grips with the fact that they have some kind of voice recognition issue.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
at least none of them sound like Elliott Kalan

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Say what you will about Elliot, you're sure as hell not going to mix him up with Stuart, Dan, or Flophouse host John Hodgman.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Travis's voice is Justin's voice with a beard; even when Justin's sick and sounds a lot deeper than usual, I can still tell him apart from Travis because he's got those clean-shaven vocal cords

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah I've never understood the "McElroys all sound the same" thing. I also listen to a lot of Comedy Bang Bang and improv4humans and can identify basically every comedian in the world by voice at this point, so maybe I just have some sort of voice recognition autism

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I had the same problem as well, but it's because I wasn't able to pick up on their tones of voice very well. Justin's speaks lower and slower, and Travis speaks brightly and quickly. Also, it's unfortunate, but Justin does, in fact, sound his weight, so once I started being able to pick that up, I was fine.

My roommate was in the car with me the other day while I was listening to TAZ, and he couldn't tell any of the 3 of them apart unless Justin was doing his Taako voice. I don't even know where to start there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

so maybe I just have some sort of voice recognition autism

No you don't. Please stop using the word autism like that.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Waffleman_ posted:

No you don't. Please stop using the word autism like that.
look at this word-meaning autism right here

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Yeah I've never understood the "McElroys all sound the same" thing. I also listen to a lot of Comedy Bang Bang and improv4humans and can identify basically every comedian in the world by voice at this point, so maybe I just have some sort of voice recognition autism

I have had trouble identifying podcast voices, McElroys included, and I don't think its so much a "people sound similar thing" but until you can attach qualities to a voice they can all sort of just come into your ears as noise.

edit: like you are probably too focus on just processing what people are saying that you can't really attached their words to them right off the back making people think everyone sounds similar or whatever

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 29, 2017

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

My roommate who introduced me to this podcast specifically told me that all of their voices sounded distinct and memorable and this has been my experience from day 1 the idea that they sound alike is crazy to me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Why don't we chalk it up to "people have different brains"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

misadventurous posted:

My roommate who introduced me to this podcast specifically told me that all of their voices sounded distinct and memorable and this has been my experience from day 1 the idea that they sound alike is crazy to me.

"Hey misadventurous, bro, I know you like distinct voices and man oh man have I got a show for you!"

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Ariong posted:

Say what you will about Elliot, you're sure as hell not going to mix him up with Stuart, Dan, or Flophouse host John Hodgman.

That's one of the things I liked most about it when I first started listening - unlike the majority of other White Dude Podcasts, they all have SUPER different voices.

I also initially had the problem with not being able to tell the difference between the McElroys - and it wasn't so much that the voices sounded identical, it was just that they were similar enough that I kept losing track of which voice belonged to which guy, which made it hard to follow the conversation.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
To me, it's the fact that all three of them have noticeably nasal voices. Typically, that's a rare trait that stands out, but when all three voices have that characteristic and you don't have faces to attach voices to, it's pretty confusing for a while.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
I've been listening to MBMBaM for like five years now and I've never mixed up the voices of Justin and Travis. But to this very day my brain subconsciously identifies Justin as the middle brother and Travis as the oldest until I remind myself of the correct order. For some dumb reason this non-fact is burnt into my brain, even though they state the correct order every single episode in the god damned intro. Maybe Justin seems like a middle child and Travis just seems older-brother-y???

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They don't sound alike but if you're just starting to listen to a podcast you might not be able to match the names to the voices for a while, that's all, jesus christ guys

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

IkeTurner posted:

I've been listening to MBMBaM for like five years now and I've never mixed up the voices of Justin and Travis. But to this very day my brain subconsciously identifies Justin as the middle brother and Travis as the oldest until I remind myself of the correct order. For some dumb reason this non-fact is burnt into my brain, even though they state the correct order every single episode in the god damned intro. Maybe Justin seems like a middle child and Travis just seems older-brother-y???

It's because Travis' voice is the deepest.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

purple death ray posted:

They don't sound alike but if you're just starting to listen to a podcast you might not be able to match the names to the voices for a while, that's all, jesus christ guys

Yeah it isn't that complicated, it has happened to me on almost every podcast I've ever started listening to that has only male voices, even if the voices are very different. Happened on Walking the Room, happened on SPY [that was just more me forgetting who was who], etc.

I've listened to every episode of TAZ and about 30 episodes of MBMBaM in the last month what am I

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Berzerker posted:

I've listened to every episode of TAZ and about 30 episodes of MBMBaM in the last month what am I

A good good boy

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

The Berzerker posted:

Ply your trade elsewhere buddy, I don't answer riddles unless my life is in danger or there's a reward of some sort.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Justin and Travis kind of sound like they have the same voice but with different vocal habits. Justin uses more fry, Travis goes further into the nasal zone. So until you pick up on that difference, it can be hard to tell "Is that Justin talking, or is that Travis talking lower?"

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Griffin is completely distinct from the other two, but Travis's voice is just a nasal Justin voice with a lisp, though it's probably easier to differentiate if you're already accustomed to hearing americans talking over each other.

Regardless of any one person's individual perception, the fact that this gets brought up at all is evidence that they sound enough alike to be mistaken for one another.

IkeTurner posted:

my brain subconsciously identifies Justin as the middle brother and Travis as the oldest
I also do this because my idiot brain is incapable of not-interpreting "big brother" as "largest brother" rather than "oldest".

Justice Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 30, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

IkeTurner posted:

SAME

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Justice Sloth posted:

Griffin is completely distinct from the other two, but Travis's voice is just a nasal Justin voice with a lisp, though it's probably easier to differentiate if you're already accustomed to hearing americans talking over each other.

Regardless of any one person's individual perception, the fact that this gets brought up at all is evidence that they sound enough alike to be mistaken for one another.

I also do this because my idiot brain is incapable of not-interpreting "big brother" as "largest brother" rather than "oldest".

Justin is both the largest and oldest brother though

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

IkeTurner posted:

Travis has a beard and the other two do not so he must be more grown up than them.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Drunkboxer posted:

The Justin/Travis mixup I get, because they're brothers with similar voices. I think the people who complain about telling the We Hate Movies guys apart need to come to grips with the fact that they have some kind of voice recognition issue.

Really? I'm basically the opposite, though I guess it's less that I can't tell them apart on WHM and more that I have no idea which voice corresponds to which person.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
pictured: the mcelroy brothers

http://midnitesurprise.com/post/157911293831/look-look-how-big-my-brother-has-got-ten#notes

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

IkeTurner posted:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Justin and Travis kind of sound like they have the same voice but with different vocal habits. Justin uses more fry, Travis goes further into the nasal zone. So until you pick up on that difference, it can be hard to tell "Is that Justin talking, or is that Travis talking lower?"

These two things capture my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

OH my gosh. Imagine the Gengar wearing a Jimmy Buffet t-shirt. Picture the Haunter with painted nails. See, in your mind's eye, the Gastly with an amiibo in his mouth.