Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Obsurveyor posted:

Nobody is. You'll just have to wait and see like the rest of us. Flip a coin if it makes you feel better.

Welp, back to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
It's A, but currently it can be B. Ryzen is an immature platform and may have quite a ways to go yet, but by years end should be way better. Summit Ridge is a very good foundation, should be even better with changes to the IF:IMC divider and overall memory clockspeed, and Pinnacle should be amazing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FaustianQ posted:

Simulated 4 Core Ryzens, using the setup AMD is claiming will be for sale, are slightly behind the 6 and 8 core Ryzens CPU's and it consistently beats the Pentiums and i3s while sitting at a very competitive price. These benchmarks are in this thread, done by a reviewer Paul has trusted; he's just legit trolling or hyperventilating, I can't tell which, Poe's Law and all.

4 threads or even 4 cores are becoming a bottleneck nowadays and I seriously can't recommend an i3 or i5 due to Ryzen because of this. Pentium has a place because all signs point to AMD having no low end answer until RR and R3.

So what would you honest recommendation be regarding the R6 1600X: Wait until later in the year to see what revisions occur, or good enough to jump on at release?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Never buy at release, it's for Fanboys and suckers like me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
My 1700 games at 1080p just fine :shrug: Just waiting on better ram compatibility now and a corsair aio bracket.

I'd put a bit of skepticism into he 7700k vs ryzen benchmarks until everyone rebenches for the R5 release. Results seem too good given there is 5% from ipc and 25% clock advantage to make up.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Hardware Unboxed on 2+2 and 4+0 configuration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhj6CvBnwNk

TLDR, no real difference in GPU bound and CPU bound games.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 27, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Nice to see that it's down to just the IMC and software for Ryzen. I can see why AMD went 2+2 though if it means 16MB L3, compared to a 4+0 which would only have access to 8MB.

SourKraut posted:

So what would you honest recommendation be regarding the R5 1600X: Wait until later in the year to see what revisions occur, or good enough to jump on at release?

It really depends on your setup IMO, and if you do any productivity. If it's purely gaming, the R5 1400 and 1500X look fine, if you do streaming, editing, etc, get the 1600X. If the performance now looks great, I'd say get it now and then upgrade to Pinnacle Ridge if it's about 20% better. Intel is the best choice still if money is not a concern and from a purely gaming standpoint the 7700K is the best price/perf still.

Expect this kind of match up to remain for quite a bit or even tip in AMD's favor as Pinnacle is hitting desktop from the looks of things way before Cannonlake will, and Skylake-X/Kabylake-X/Coffeelake don't look to really shake things up.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

FaustianQ posted:

Nice to see that it's down to just the IMC and software for Ryzen. I can see why AMD went 2+2 though if it means 16MB L3, compared to a 4+0 which would only have access to 8MB.

It really depends on your setup IMO, and if you do any productivity. If it's purely gaming, the R5 1400 and 1500X look fine, if you do streaming, editing, etc, get the 1600X. If the performance now looks great, I'd say get it now and then upgrade to Pinnacle Ridge if it's about 20% better. Intel is the best choice still if money is not a concern and from a purely gaming standpoint the 7700K is the best price/perf still.

Expect this kind of match up to remain for quite a bit or even tip in AMD's favor as Pinnacle is hitting desktop from the looks of things way before Cannonlake will, and Skylake-X/Kabylake-X/Coffeelake don't look to really shake things up.

my question at this point is how well does zen do with emulation? I want to say not well because of low clock rate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wargames posted:

my question at this point is how well does zen do with emulation? I want to say not well because of low clock rate.

Emulation of what? It's going to be more than enough performance for things up to like the PS2 and Wii, even Bulldozer chips could handle that.

It might not be good for the currently very early PS3/360/Wii U emulators being made, but those also barely run well on the highest end Intel chips at the moment.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

fishmech posted:

Emulation of what? It's going to be more than enough performance for things up to like the PS2 and Wii, even Bulldozer chips could handle that.

It might not be good for the currently very early PS3/360/Wii U emulators being made, but those also barely run well on the highest end Intel chips at the moment.

on my 4690 citrea the 3ds emulator isn't great.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wargames posted:

on my 4690 citrea the 3ds emulator isn't great.

Citra is slow crap at the moment on almost every CPU. It'll get a lot better in another year or so but at the moment they're just focused on getting games to run correctly even if they're quite slow. Later, they'll move onto getting them at a playable speed.

When it's a more usable state it should run fine on your current hardware, and the current Ryzen line.

Much like the people working on the 360 and PS3 emulators, the team for Citra wants to make sure they get everything done right the first time, rather than getting things working acceptably to run fast from the start, which will mean more work later to get everything to run correctly.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

What's the go to Ryzen motherboard? I see that both the B350 and the X370 allow for overclocking. Any reason to choose the X370 over the B350 if you're just planning to overclock and stick a GPU in it? I'd prefer an ITX mobo but they aren't released yet.

eames
May 9, 2009

Keep an eye on the power supply components. Most B350 boards I've seen have 4+2 phases which is ok for a future 4 core APU but barely enough for a 8 core CPU at stock frequency. Good X370 boards have up to 12+2 phases.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

eames posted:

Keep an eye on the power supply components. Most B350 boards I've seen have 4+2 phases which is ok for a future 4 core APU but barely enough for a 8 core CPU at stock frequency. Good X370 boards have up to 12+2 phases.

Thanks, this is the kind of info I wanted to know

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/61sxx3/am4_motherboard_tier_list_updated_32717/

ufarn
May 30, 2009

quote:

Block this user. It's Asrock PR. That's why he posts it four times. Also everyone who mentions Asrocks Poor and Cheap VRMs got downvoted hard in the other threads of him. This guy is a scam account. It's sad such things happen... And it's sad this guy disguises this PR in a "Info-Thread" ...

i reported him for advertising.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
In case anyone is looking for ram not on the QVL this is probably the best way... :pwn: Copy paste from the X370s for a start with your board.

site:valid.x86.fr ryzen gaming-cf CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Well I got my system to boot @ 2400 16-16-16-36cas15 @ 1.35v (bought as 15-15-15-35 3000mhz 1.35v), but it doesn't seem to want to go to 2666 at that voltage. I might see if bumping the voltage up a little gets it to work, but I don't think there's a lot of room to work with for everyday use

Edit: nope, 2400 it is I guess

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 28, 2017

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

A mildly useful benchmark for those who have to do something like compile Unreal Engine 4 a lot:

Just under 19 minutes total. 1800X, 2x16 3200 @ 2666 (16-17-17-36), 256gb 600P NVME

Edit: as an aside, doing this turned out to be a better "stress test" or "shakedown" than anything else I've ever used. In the process of trying to build this I discovered that a windows update had disabled HPET (and I wouldn't have noticed had RYZEN MASTER not said anything when I checked it after the BSOD), and then hit another BSOD because I was hitting 500MB/s writes on the NVME and this triggered something that apparently required new firmware, which seemed to make the SSD a tiny bit faster overall.

eames posted:

This is ultimately why you're not going to go past ~4.1ghz with any B350 board I'm aware of right now. Also might as well get a good external clock to go stupid with the ram, it really does matter a whole loving lot.

I'm gonna return the B350 board and buy a real motherboard now. Still, for $99, the ASUS PRIME is "pretty good value"

Have been loving the poo poo out of this thing in DiRT Rally, even with just a Fury OC. (1080p Ultra, 2xMSAA)

Not that I have to justify that this somehow results in a much better driving experience or anything, but I recently beat one of my best times (28th global on Monte, Group B AWD) with relative ease. It's just so much more responsive, I've never experienced such a high minimum FPS with such fidelity.

You'll notice I was playing on Medium settings in that replay, after a few runs at Ultra I figured if more really was better, I could live with ugly trees for a better driving experience.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 28, 2017

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

New Zealand can eat me posted:

This is ultimately why you're not going to go past ~4.1ghz with any B350 board I'm aware of right now. Also might as well get a good external clock to go stupid with the ram, it really does matter a whole loving lot.

Doesn't sound like too big a deal as you're never going to go past 4.1GHz with Ryzen anyway unless you luck out with a 99th+ percentile chip.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

Doesn't sound like too big a deal as you're never going to go past 4.1GHz with Ryzen anyway unless you luck out with a 99th+ percentile chip.

I've been seeing more and more posts of 4.2-4.3 on people that had otherwise given up on going past 4.1 on the various enthusiast spots, so I'm not so sure that's true anymore.

E: I can get away with 4175 if I really want to use absurd voltages, but I think if I had way more power states it would definitely be stable past that. I leave it at 4100 because that seems the most stable with this board.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 28, 2017

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I've been seeing more and more posts of 4.2-4.3 on people that had otherwise given up on going past 4.1 on the various enthusiast spots, so I'm not so sure that's true anymore.

E: I can get away with 4175 if I really want to use absurd voltages, but I think if I had way more power states it would definitely be stable past that. I leave it at 4100 because that seems the most stable with this board.

Yeah, some people are getting slightly better overclocking results now that there have been some bios updates.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Are there any utilities that report actual temperatures yet? Master and hwmonitor are showing ~50c idle and ~90c during prime95, and I don't know if that's actual temps or 20c above

Also what kind of coolers are people using? I have the 120mm noctua, so the reported temps are hitting 90c under load (1.35v @ 3.9ghz) and it shuts down some time after that. I might need to get a better cooler which sucks

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 28, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gwrtheyrn posted:

Are there any utilities that report actual temperatures yet? Master and hwmonitor are showing ~50c idle and ~90c during prime95, and I don't know if that's actual temps or 20c above

Also what kind of coolers are people using? I have the 120mm noctua, so the reported temps are hitting 90c under load (1.35v @ 3.9ghz) and it shuts down some time after that. I might need to get a better cooler which sucks

if the offset is happening like reported (+20), your actual temp is 70c. whatever the offset is, a 40c rise above idle followed by system shutdown isn't great. that seems pretty awful for that heatsink whatever the offset is.

Noctua are good, though they're intended more for being quiet than mega-ocing (the fans they use are slower & lower CFM than the average tower). But they should be able to handle ryzen's output better than that. If I were you I'd start by remounting the sink and checking the paste, surfaces, etc in case you hosed something up.

if it's fine and that's really the heat output you're dealing with, you're gonna need water to do better.

edit: or you've got a binned 1700x and it's not gonna do a lot in the OC department

Klyith fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 28, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I'm going to hope that it's because the fan was supposedly running at 1krpm instead of its actual max even up to 90c reported, but if all else fails, I'll try reseating it this weekend. 1.3175 or w/e @ 3.75 was still hitting up around 85c

apparently the bios fan settings are basically useless in that silent, standard, performance, and full speed just mean 800, 1000, 1100, and 1500 rpm respectively because it uses the MB cpu temp which seems never change from around 50 while the package temp jumps to 80+ because ryzen I guess

Setting fans to max brought the temps down about 4-5 degrees with 1.3175 @ 3.75 to 81C running prime95 with 1344k in place transforms. I'll play with reseating the heatsink this weekend

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 28, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
turn off bios fan control and get speedfan

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
and hope speedfan doesn't instantly shut down your system due to your motherboard's hardware limitations

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Regrettable posted:

Yeah, some people are getting slightly better overclocking results now that there have been some bios updates.

Yeah, definitely saw a bit more stability out of the ASUS Prime B350 w/ 0513. It's neat/terrifying that you can just download and then load it right out of the downloads folder from the BIOS.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Someone asked ASUS to send them nudes. Joke request, but interesting photo response. Left is an AMD mobo, right side is an Intel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
AMD mobo is more visually pleasing.

:barf: that empty space and those stripes on the Intel side.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
At first I thought that weird extra ram slot was a cool NVDIMM thing, but nope they just decided to confusingly use a DIMM slot for a PCIe riser card so you could cool it with a DIMM fan

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's a "minimalist" E-ATX board for maximus extreme price

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Why does that Intel motherboard only have two dimms in that form factor

ed: oh, OPTANE SUPER SPEED MEMORY

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

Why does that Intel motherboard only have two dimms in that form factor

ed: oh, OPTANE SUPER SPEED MEMORY

That board is designed specifically for competitive overclocking. Dropping to 2 DIMMs means the traces to the CPU are shorter which lets them squeeze out slightly better memory clocks.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

an E-ATX mobo with only two DIMM slots may be the worst PC component I have ever seen

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

ryzen boards may as well only have 2 dimm slots :colbert:

also i'm not going to bother reseating the noctua 120...instead I'm going to move my 140 over :haw:

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 29, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Platystemon posted:

AMD mobo is more visually pleasing.

:barf: that empty space and those stripes on the Intel side.

The stripes are bad, what's wrong with empty space though?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The stripes are bad, what's wrong with empty space though?

As far as I can tell it's just space where heatsinks and stuff needs to go.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Welp the frankenstein machine worked out pretty well and I'm looking at getting decent hardware.

Is it worth getting the 1700X over the base 1700, or am I better off just overclocking the 1700 and sticking a fat water cooling block on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zero Gravitas posted:

Welp the frankenstein machine worked out pretty well and I'm looking at getting decent hardware.

Is it worth getting the 1700X over the base 1700, or am I better off just overclocking the 1700 and sticking a fat water cooling block on it?

A fat water block would nearly make up the price difference in those CPUs ,no?

• Locked thread