Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

comingafteryouall posted:

Stone Taluses and especially the rare Stone Taluses will make you rich whenever a Blood Moon happens.

What does the Blood Moon boost? I haven't seen one in days (of live time not game time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

like I'm not farming enemies, I'm not making runs to ore, I'm not even cooking stuff into meals or elixirs to raise the price, I just sell a ton of monster parts and always come ahead with a poo poo ton of money.

edit: I hadn't even been selling ore until like the last time I went to a shop, I just haven't had to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

What does the Blood Moon boost? I haven't seen one in days (of live time not game time)

It doesn't boost things. It respawns enemies, including mini-bosses like Stone Taluses.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RCarr posted:

How? I'm not even up to 80 shrines done yet and I have over 15,000 rupees with nothing left to spend them on.

Rates of mining obsession and desire to upgrade equipment is a big factor. Along with preferred routes and procrastination.

I've done my fair share of repeat visits to marked luminous stone deposits for cash or diamond trades, but even after murdering some lava talos I've only got JUST enough rubies to finish upgrading the Rito set. 100 spare amber is only 3,000 (and that one vendor that buys for more is not your choice of which, and only buys in chunks).

Also putting off the main plot and not going too out of your way for shrines means less silver enemies, which means less incidental rubies and sapphires from killing trash enemies, etc.

Once I hit my stride, any time I NEEDED money for something, I could get it. Even then 10,000 for the last fairy (Okay, time to finally use all these otherwise useless hinox toenails and teeth to cook up and sell elixirs! I'm keeping my meat for snack time.). But I also never really had more than 3k spare fun money ever. Just from how I was playing, spending, and upgrading. Hell I never even got around to buying the luchadore set which needs a fat stack of luminous stones of a count much higher than what I've got sitting in my inventory for a rainy day of restocking arrows and cooking ingredients.

Look, hearty simmered fruit is amazing and all, and I also have 90 bananas. But Link deserves a nice apple pie and spicy goron steak too.

EDIT: For clarity. You are not doing anything wrong by having a sweet surplus of millions of dollars for Link at all times. Because that's great! But most people with a shortage of cash are generally not doing anything "wrong" either. Ease of cash also increases with how much and what you have explored, whether or not you are spamming minigames, etc.

I never even found Gut Check Rock until I was prepping to take on Gannon after lots of procrastination, for example. That would have made me so much easy money, but my natural path didn't take me by it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 29, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I knew I screwed up by buying Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword a week into playing this.

Perhaps it's just me but I feel like SS would be incredibly frustrating after playing a ton of BotW. SS to me is the most linear of the 3D Zeldas. It had a large enough world that was filled with a ton of goodies but at no point did I ever have any FOMO by straying outside of the objectives place in front of me.

Now with BotW in front of me I feel like this is the original dream of Zelda fully realized. The game's pace is entirely up to you, but the game will quickly & violently remind you when you're not ready to move ahead. At the same time, just because you can't progress towards Ganon quickly doesn't mean you're unable to do anything productive. It's so good to have that much flexibility.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I too had infinite money by end game and then I noticed I had 300 electric arrows. Somehow. so I wondered why I was buying arrows at all and just used those.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I wish you could put more than 100 stamps on the map. I want to mark EVERYTHING :(

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What are good money-making elixers? I currently have a few Electro, Hasty, and Energizing and they all sell for 30 rupees per.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Bombadilillo posted:

I too had infinite money by end game and then I noticed I had 300 electric arrows. Somehow. so I wondered why I was buying arrows at all and just used those.

Same, I think after my first trip into Zora's Domain with all the electric Lizalfos I never dipped below 200 of them.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I wish you could put more than 100 stamps on the map. I want to mark EVERYTHING :(

Same, I've marked every boss and lynel with a skull but I'm running out of stamps and I still have the entire eldin region to chart, and I've had to sacrifice a few other icons

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I should have mad the Lynel spots. I was hoping for blood moons so I could grind them more.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

canoshiz posted:

Same, I think after my first trip into Zora's Domain with all the electric Lizalfos I never dipped below 200 of them.

I have literally 57 regular arrows and 32 combined of the rest (4 ancient) and I felt like I was flying high.

:lol: I am so bad at this game

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The Legend of Koroks: A Seed from the rear end

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Phantasium posted:

like I'm not farming enemies, I'm not making runs to ore, I'm not even cooking stuff into meals or elixirs to raise the price, I just sell a ton of monster parts and always come ahead with a poo poo ton of money.

edit: I hadn't even been selling ore until like the last time I went to a shop, I just haven't had to.

Well good for you, you spoiled gently caress! Some of us weren't born into Hyrule Royalty and have to work for the rupees we have :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

What are good money-making elixers? I currently have a few Electro, Hasty, and Energizing and they all sell for 30 rupees per.

Elixir money doesn't depend on type, it depends on which/how many monster parts you used to make it. Almost any kind of Elixir made with four Bokoblin fangs, for example, will sell for 100.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Spergatory posted:

Elixir money doesn't depend on type, it depends on which/how many monster parts you used to make it. Almost any kind of Elixir made with four Bokoblin fangs, for example, will sell for 100.

Oh nice

Also, just went out into a mountain region and two random rocks yielded 3 diamonds, a sapphire and a ruby plus a rock salt. :stare: So that was a huge cash help

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just started playing this game. Turns out the one and only amiibo I bought when Smash Bros came out - the Link amiibo, summons Epona??

Nice.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Oh nice

Also, just went out into a mountain region and two random rocks yielded 3 diamonds, a sapphire and a ruby plus a rock salt. :stare: So that was a huge cash help

That's not unusual, there are black rock deposits and there are black with crunchy bits deposits. Look for ones with crunchy bits for the good stuff.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Ice Fist posted:

Hi, I explored the whole map, got all 120 shrines and I used my horse all the time. The map is really big and there are a lot of flat open areas. I rode everywhere I could.

Have to agree with this though. This was a waste of a button. It would make much, much more sense if horse calling was still magical and it just appeared near you, but since it doesn't I would have liked half a dozen other, more important functions to take its place.

I don't understand the design decision anyways. Instead of the player being able to call their horse anywhere they gave this ability to the stables who can apparently make treks to the most remote regions of the world and have your horse back at that stable in a magical instant. I suppose they wanted the stables to have a purpose and the player being able to magically summon a horse lessened their importance. But I think they could have made stables important in other ways. Give a horse rest that provides buffs to stamina or speed, etc. Plus stables are full of important people who have quests you need to pick up.

Outside of that, a big selling point of horses to me was avoiding a lot of the poo poo you'd otherwise have to put up with if you were walking somewhere. I'm pretty sure I never got attacked by the random yiga if I was on a horse and I'm pretty sure skeletons don't spawn at night. Can't 100% prove this though.

Look at this fool not using horse whistles to lure enemies into horrifying traps

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
At a certain point in the game, the 'Horse Whistle' button essentially becomes the "HEY FUCKERS, COME GET SOME! :black101:" button.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah like was said It seems to be primarily based on the monster parts more than the buff objects. Stacking higher quality monster parts = more money than straight up selling them.

While Hinox guts are used for some upgrades, I am 99% certain that Hinox teeth and toenails have no purpose outside of elixir fodder. Killing Moldugas also tends to get you a huge stack of fins to the point you won't ever have to worry even if you want to upgrade the one thing that uses their parts as ingredients.

Dragon and Lynel parts are the most valuable, but those are also more often tied to upgrading cool stuff.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Oh nice

The game could sense you had solved your current money problems otherwise, so had no more need to hold back the expensive rocks to spite you. Oh right, did you know you can take photos of rock deposits (all three kinds) and treasure chests to add to the compendium/sensor? :v:

Just realizing the difference between normal and rare stone deposits is also a big help. If you are in a hurry, it's still worth it to smash rare ones you see even when skipping past regular and luminous ones.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 29, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Section Z posted:

The game could sense you had solved your current money problems otherwise, so had no more need to hold back the expensive rocks to spite you. Oh right, did you know you can take photos of rock deposits (all three kinds) and treasure chests to add to the compendium/sensor? :v:

Just realizing the difference between normal and rare stone deposits is also a big help. If you are in a hurry, it's still worth it to smash rare ones you see even when skipping past regular and luminous ones.

I had no idea and this will actually help out a ton, thank you!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I tended to make the most money off of Luminous stones since they're so drat prevalent. You can also do the deer hunting mini-game in Hateno (talk to the guy on the farm with the sheep and stuff) and just hunt with bombs and use the meat to make skewers to sell for a decent amount.

Now that I have all the armor and most of it's upgraded I can pretty much sell everything and am currently sitting at over 50k rupees. However now no one loving restocks their arrows. The artificial limit on that kinda stuff is super annoying, well I can sorta understand not letting fairies respawn unless you're low on them, but still.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Brightman posted:

I tended to make the most money off of Luminous stones since they're so drat prevalent. You can also do the deer hunting mini-game in Hateno (talk to the guy on the farm with the sheep and stuff) and just hunt with bombs and use the meat to make skewers to sell for a decent amount.

Now that I have all the armor and most of it's upgraded I can pretty much sell everything and am currently sitting at over 50k rupees. However now no one loving restocks their arrows. The artificial limit on that kinda stuff is super annoying, well I can sorta understand not letting fairies respawn unless you're low on them, but still.

Think most people are just finding horse hobs and looking down for arrows

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Despera posted:

Think most people are just finding horse hobs and looking down for arrows

That's what I'm doing but I can't get like elemental arrows that way and am starting to get low on fire. Not sure if it considers each type or just the overall total but no one seems to restock, except Fyson who had more Ice Arrows while I already had like 130 of them but whatever.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I know Goron has a free Sledge Hammer sitting there, are there any other locations that have some that I can grab for mining?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Right outside your house.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

weird Asian candy posted:

I know Goron has a free Sledge Hammer sitting there, are there any other locations that have some that I can grab for mining?

There's also a Goron side-quest to get a Drillbit that's good for mining and that respawns in the spot you find it at that's near a shrine.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Goron also have their crushing weapons (one in the city I always got and upgraded) They work great too. And you can kill a Rock Taurus in literally one spin attack if you have decent stamina.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 29, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Awesome, thanks!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The love letter in a bottle sidequest was fun but had a gross ending.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I had read somewhere that when you tame the Giant Horse, it doesn't get a bridle if you register it, but I guess whoever wrote that was mistaken because ole' Ganondorf is dressed to impress. And by impressing Boko faces into the loving ground. :getin:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
My friend lent me his WiiU to play this game and I don't think he's getting it back. Played for a few hours and just got to Kakariko, Hyrule is enormous.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The love letter in a bottle sidequest was fun but had a gross ending.

Where does this one start?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Where does this one start?

Close to Rallis Pond by Zora Domain.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

If you're not constantly wearing the entire full barbarian armor, except in situations that absolutely dictate other clothing, you're making a horrible mistake. Not only does it give the best set of bonuses in the game, it is easily the coolest looking set of armor.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I had read somewhere that when you tame the Giant Horse, it doesn't get a bridle if you register it, but I guess whoever wrote that was mistaken because ole' Ganondorf is dressed to impress. And by impressing Boko faces into the loving ground. :getin:

You can't change his stuff from what he gets by default

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

If you're not constantly wearing the entire full barbarian armor, except in situations that absolutely dictate other clothing, you're making a horrible mistake. Not only does it give the best set of bonuses in the game, it is easily the coolest looking set of armor.

Just in case you don't already know, when you dye the barb set a different colour, you get different patterns on the skull headpiece. :black101:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kakariko overlook for Goponga Swamp has one, and that canyon-y bit in SE Akkala has a ledge with 3 and a ton of boulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Runcible Cat posted:

Kakariko overlook for Goponga Swamp has one, and that canyon-y bit in SE Akkala has a ledge with 3 and a ton of boulders.

The earliest sledgehammer spawn I've found is right above the shrine where you get the Stasis rune on the plateau. If you look up the cliff, you'll find a ledge with a respawning hammer on it.

You can also use bombs or the Master Sword to mine rocks.