Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Orc Warriors aren't as hard if you always start combat by kiting back to the edge of the map. This will be the 3 rounds that will get their fatigue up already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

Spears own vs stuff that blindly runs into you. Once your melee skill gets over 60 and you get some fatigue reducing stuff like brawny and x mastery you should probably switch to a more damaging weapon. Not saying you shouldn't ever use spears, but they definitely fall off.

Their area denial never falls off, but you should move away from having them on all your front line, and give play to other weapons like axes or hammers etc. Spears are fantastic at autokilling shieldless chaff that mashes itself into you over and over

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The secret to fighting orc warriors is having your best armoured shield guy(s) tank them with shieldwall while you murder all the orc young, by which time the warriors will probably be close to breaking already. You can also bait them into using their charge attack constantly by having a decently well armoured pikeman (who can take more than 1 hit) with footwork.

And as with everything else use lots of greatswords with a couple of hammers to break through the armour.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The best weapon for taking out orc warriors is maces. Every swing of a mace causes 10 fatigue damage, even if it misses. You can swing twice per turn. Two dudes with maces can quickly and permanently lock down a warrior.

Spears are still best for orc young though and the opening of the fight, but only put the spears on your highest accuracy dudes and make sure they have the Master to keep their fatigue low. I like to alternate Spear & Mace when fighting warriors (on my front line, I also usually roll with heavy archer support.

Rotate is important because it lets me move my mace dudes right next to wherever the orcs break through. Give my archers backup blunt weapons and they don't need footwork or anything like that, they just need to switch weapons and swing. Any Orc Warrior that breaks through the line is just making himself useless and surrounded, which is fine by me!

Actually with the changes to how range works in regards to shooting over allies, my archers almost always run with blunt weapons instead of polearms now. I've been playing with a frontline setup of half Spear/Dagger dudes and have Mace/Poleaxe dudes and it's working really well.

Here's how it goes:
Spears on the flanks (best accuracy dudes get spears, poleaxe dudes in between (high ranged defense, accuracy less important). Spearwall up as long as possible, and the poleaxe dudes destroy shields at a distance to make that more effective and increase the damage done by my archers. When the enemy closes, my spearmen try to push them back and get the spearwall back up. and worst case the poleaxe dudes switch to maces to drain enemy fatigue and possibly stun them.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 29, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've been just using every class of weapon, avoiding doubling up out of principle. Not super sure how effective it is. Theoretically it lets me send, say, my flail-user after a helmless raider who's chilling on one side of the map and sending my axe dude towards the group of bandits with shields on the other end, but in practice they often get bogged down before they reach their destinations and I have to make due.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I've been just using every class of weapon, avoiding doubling up out of principle. Not super sure how effective it is. Theoretically it lets me send, say, my flail-user after a helmless raider who's chilling on one side of the map and sending my axe dude towards the group of bandits with shields on the other end, but in practice they often get bogged down before they reach their destinations and I have to make due.

Yeah this is one of my main arguments towards greatsword hegemony. I can't reliably put my units in the positions where they will be most useful, so my entire front line except for the 2 'wings' are all identical greatsword tanks, and the wings are shield tanks, 2handed hammerers, or more greatswords, depending on the enemy's composition, since these are the units which I can most easily position exactly where I want them, wheras the block of units in the centre are just going to move forwards and get stuck in.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Most of my 1-handed weapons are maces and warhammers as soon as i can afford them. Causing injuries through armour is crazy effective, and the time you get Fearsome on a dedicated hammerman you can make an Orc Warrior poo poo himself 1-on-1.

On 2handers the greatsword rules supreme

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Most of my 1-handed weapons are maces and warhammers as soon as i can afford them. Causing injuries through armour is crazy effective, and the time you get Fearsome on a dedicated hammerman you can make an Orc Warrior poo poo himself 1-on-1.

Yeah, once flails and morningstar+ maces started dropping, I just kinda stuck with them and never went back. At first I kind of planned having my shield dudes carry a lightweight sword or maybe axe of some variety as backup for when I'm up against low-armoured targets, but honestly that doesn't quite seem worth it. Maces, flails, and hammers generally still seem to have enough base damage to pummel even naked dudes to death about as quickly as other weapons would.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 29, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Humans really can't take hits without armor.

Honestly, nothing can.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Night10194 posted:

Humans really can't take hits without armor.

Honestly, nothing can.
And armored humans can get crippled and terrified by hammerstrokes.
Undead take full damage from bludgeoning weapons.
Hammer supremacy

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Maces, greatswords, bows. Don't need anything else.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

My orc fighting tip is gonna seem weird as hell but... cleavers. Like Hieronymous said, one of the keys to beating orcs is their morale and the cleaver decapitate seems to do a pretty drat good job of that. I've had a couple good chain decaps of orc young that'll send 80% of the ones left fleeing. I don't know if it's confirmation bias or what, but I swear it works.

I've seen this said about decapitate a few times but the devs have said decapitation does not have any effect on morale.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Having now fought Necrosavants:

gently caress Necrosavants.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't know if it was a Necrosavant, but one mission had some necromancer resurrecting bandit corpses, and those corpses basically caused my guys' heads to explode through mysterious means. I reloaded and dropped that contract because I have no idea how you're meant to deal with that.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
My current mission is to get a famed piece of equipment.
How do I do that?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Kanthulhu posted:

My current mission is to get a famed piece of equipment.
How do I do that?

1. Buy at a weapon / armoursmith. These are rarely offered, but will be more common if the settlement has the "safe roads" buff from completing a patrol.

2. Taken from the cold dead hand of certain nasty enemies such as orc warlords and hedge knights (and apparently bandit leaders though I've never seen one)

3. Looted from enemy camps. You might get a clue about particular locations to find them if you visit a tavern for rumours, otherwise just go as far away from civilization as you can and start kicking rear end

E:

Vaguely related, what are the stats like on good unique armours since I haven't actually seen one for ages and that was a mid range piece? Can you get armour that is significantly stronger than 300/300? If so do they have even higher fatigue penalties?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 29, 2017

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I started a new campaign on Beginner difficulty now. It's way more relaxing to play since the difficulty ramps up significantly later and you can spend more time fighting bandit thugs before seeing anything like your first orc warrior or even necrosavant.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Honestly, the game isn't exactly easy even on beginner. The AI in this game is pretty merciless, too.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Starting a campaign on Beginner and picking War as your first crisis makes the game way more manageable though.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Night10194 posted:

Honestly, the game isn't exactly easy even on beginner. The AI in this game is pretty merciless, too.

I am struggling on beginner.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
God once you get your greatsword users going it's wonderful. In a bigger noble war fight I wait on my first turn to have one of them full move in range of three billmen. Next turn starting off he decapitates 2 guys with the first swing and kills 2 more on the second, causing the morale on the enemy's entire flank to flatline.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The best moment I've had in the entire game was a big noble war battle where the lines were grinding against each other and my greatsword user, an adventurous noble called Sir Winrich, was unable to reach the front line because of the press - until the footman in front of him got cut down, then he stepped forward, swung his sword and killed two, then split and killed another 2, and the enemy line wavered and broke. Couldn't help picturing how this would be, a hulking knight stepping forward and showing how it's done. Pure cinema except on a top-down 2D turn-based presentation.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

On 2handers the greatsword rules supreme

I'm a fan of the greataxe because I really love round swing. Nothing like killing as many as six men at stroke. But it requires a special kind of guy, while greatswords are something you can put on virtually anyone you trust to go without a shield.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

maces are probably my favorite weapon to put on a duelist. my dude was killing zweihanders in reinforced hauberks and scale in like 2-3 hits while not even hitting their heads. anyone who survived the first 2 hits were so hosed up on wounds that they were basically useless in the fight.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Roobanguy posted:

maces are probably my favorite weapon to put on a duelist. my dude was killing zweihanders in reinforced hauberks and scale in like 2-3 hits while not even hitting their heads. anyone who survived the first 2 hits were so hosed up on wounds that they were basically useless in the fight.

I was using fighting axes and warhammers for my duelists in an earlier build of the game. I have never really gone out of my way to use maces but when I've had them in stock they've never let me down.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Nordick posted:

Not sure of other buffs, but it at least gives them a shitload of AP. A Fallen Hero with a two-hander that can make two attacks a turn is quite a thing, lemme tell ya.
Yeah about that

See those four wounded dudes? The result of a buffed fallen hero with a greataxe after going ham for two turns in a row. I was really lucky to safe the 2 dudes that each took 200+ damage :stonk:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

wargames posted:

I am struggling on beginner.

The only recent game I'm aware of that's more difficult than this is Darkest Dungeon, and there the difficulty is a baked-in part of the setting rather than just "welp, crossbow to the brain. Sorry duders!" like it can be here.

One thing I'm only really now starting to appreciate is the importance of cover and positioning vs. ranged fire.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

I was using fighting axes and warhammers for my duelists in an earlier build of the game. I have never really gone out of my way to use maces but when I've had them in stock they've never let me down.

I used to put warhammers on my duelists too, but i've found maces to be more reliable in general. they do use a lot of fatigue though.

i also finally figured out why one of my troops kept getting drunk on the first round in bars even when i hadn't been to one in days. he's tiny so he gets drunk faster :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I have to say I'm enjoying this game much, much more in its completed form than I did Darkest Dungeon, which I felt started in a good place and slowly drifted into miserable.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One thing I'm only really now starting to appreciate is the importance of cover and positioning vs. ranged fire.

I know I've boo-hoo'd about it before, but brigand marksmen really need looked at. They're pretty much always the first to move, and their first act is usually to launch a hail of laser accurate long-range arrows at whichever brother has the weakest ranged defence. Makes levelling up rookies a total crapshoot, since the A.I will frequently kill/severely injure them before they even get a chance to poke a spear.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So pairing a guy with the flail + cleaver combo is so much fun, rack up a couple of hits to the head, then decapitate your enemy with a cleaver; works great when you add the critical hit perk to the mix. :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Disgusting Coward posted:

I know I've boo-hoo'd about it before, but brigand marksmen really need looked at. They're pretty much always the first to move, and their first act is usually to launch a hail of laser accurate long-range arrows at whichever brother has the weakest ranged defence. Makes levelling up rookies a total crapshoot, since the A.I will frequently kill/severely injure them before they even get a chance to poke a spear.

That's why they nerfed bullseye, isn't it?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

I used to put warhammers on my duelists too, but i've found maces to be more reliable in general. they do use a lot of fatigue though.

i also finally figured out why one of my troops kept getting drunk on the first round in bars even when i hadn't been to one in days. he's tiny so he gets drunk faster :v:

Unique orc cleavers are the endgame for duelists, at which point they become absolutely rediculous.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RabidWeasel posted:

Unique orc cleavers are the endgame for duelists, at which point they become absolutely rediculous.

I see people talk "duelist builds" but what goes into that?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it normal to be haemorrhaging two brothers per fight? It's around Day 30 and I suspect my 100%-scavenged body armour is what's causing my guys to fall apart after two or three rounds of melee.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I see people talk "duelist builds" but what goes into that?

No shield, 1handed weapon, duelist perk. Due to the duelist perk and the double grip ability from not having a shield you get a gigantic damage boost, and this is particularly effective on weapons which typically have relatively poor armour piercing but high base damage. Since this typically leaves you with poo poo for defenses but also gives you a light weapon configuration it's often combined with Dodge.

A non-unique orc cleaver with this setup does an average of 34 hp damage per hit, as well as bleeding; the high base damage and bleed make cleavers extremely attractive for duelists.

Jay Rust posted:

Is it normal to be haemorrhaging two brothers per fight? It's around Day 30 and I suspect my 100%-scavenged body armour is what's causing my guys to fall apart after two or three rounds of melee.

Please for the love of god go to an armourer. 110-armour worn mail shirts are not a real defensive solution.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 29, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RabidWeasel posted:

No shield, 1handed weapon, duelist perk. Due to the duelist perk and the double grip ability from not having a shield you get a gigantic damage boost, and this is particularly effective on weapons which typically have relatively poor armour piercing but high base damage. Since this typically leaves you with poo poo for defenses but also gives you a light weapon configuration it's often combined with Dodge.

A non-unique orc cleaver with this setup does an average of 34 hp damage per hit, as well as bleeding; the high base damage and bleed make cleavers extremely attractive for duelists.

What stats for that build, though? What sort of Bro would make a better duelist than two-hander user?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jay Rust posted:

Is your gear at 100% going into fights? Are you using shields?

You can get away with scavenged armor for a little while IF

1) everybody's got a kite shield and you use shield wall constantly, like every turn, and

2) you swap out busted armor for good armor between fights and keep everything repaired (alt-rightclick in inventory).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I've never actually run a duelist but from what I understand they only really become attractive choices (i.e. better than just having another greatsword or 2h hammer) because unique Orcish cleavers exist, but they're really loving good at that one specific thing. You know how terrifying an orc warrior with a cleaver and no shield is? Like that.

As for stats I guess they want the same as everyone else, mdef, matk, fatigue, rdef, and enough hp / resolve to not die or run away. Though one would assume that they will be slightly more demanding in terms of defensive stats to make up for not having a shield or reach advantage.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What stats for that build, though? What sort of Bro would make a better duelist than two-hander user?

This is just me and I've only really built one or two in an older build of the game, but it's basically like you're building for a two handed dodge tank but you forego Reach Advantage. Since your duelist is probably lighter you can probably think about fitting Overwhelm and Nimble on them (Nimble is proving to be really, really good on some of my guys so I'm really liking it even though it's very different from what I'm used to). But I like to give them a shield and quick hands so they can weather any kind of ranged bombardment until melee closes, then ditch the shield (or let the enemy wear themselves out tearing the shield down, as they are sometimes wont to do) and then my guy gets the double handed damage bonus and extra armor penetration from Duelist.

I'm not actually very sure about which weapons are best in terms of raw DPS with Duelist, personally. I got good use out of weapons that started with high armor penetration, like Fighting Axes, which also have nice base damage, because I understood that meant more of the natural damage would get through, but maybe something that's got a real good base damage but a poor base armor penetration, like a noble sword (which would be a really consistent damage range) would end up better.