Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just watched a 25 minute video explaining Superboy Prime because of that dudes post and HOLY loving poo poo when did DC comics go full-bore hyper-violent insanity? He is basically at the core of all of DC's comics most convoluted story lines and is Goku-can-go-cry-himself-to-sleep levels of overpowered basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bust Rodd posted:

I just watched a 25 minute video explaining Superboy Prime because of that dudes post and HOLY loving poo poo when did DC comics go full-bore hyper-violent insanity? He is basically at the core of all of DC's comics most convoluted story lines and is Goku-can-go-cry-himself-to-sleep levels of overpowered basically.

That stuff has been lurking around the edges since the 80's, but DC's output really took a turn when they did Identity Crisis in 2004.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Bust Rodd posted:

It's kind of a long story. Basically, the crop of writers who defined the DC Universe in the 2000s were all pretty prone to shocking levels of bloodshed. You can trace this back to a guy named Dan Didio, who was deliberately trying to create comics aimed towards an audience of continuity-obsessed 45-year-olds, and to Geoff Johns, a writer who combined a deep love and familiarity with the minutiae of the DC Universe with a tendency towards explicit ultraviolence. Many of Johns's most well-known stories are accessible, entertaining, and gruesome as all hell, and often create a massive sense of mood whiplash.

(Johns used to write a book called JSA, about the Justice Society of America, a team of World-War-II-era heroes and their successors and descendants. In one notable issue, the B-plot involved a teenage girl having fun as she designed her first costume and adopted a heroic identity. The A-plot was about a team of Nazi supervillains seeking out and murdering the descendants of various WWII heroes, which included a scene in which one of them used super-speed to liquefy a child, which took place on-panel.)

As a comics history side note, a book came out in 1999 called The Authority, by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch, which began something that some people call the "widescreen" trend. Basically, the idea was that working in superhero comics means you have an unlimited special-effects budget, so there's no reason not to turn all your dials up to eleven; the Justice League shouldn't be fighting a group of masked goons in an abandoned warehouse when they could be fighting a super-powerful team of Martians all over the planet. Some writers responded quite well to this, such as Grant Morrison; others went way, way over the top and made a mess. With guys like Johns, that meant that there was no reason why a villain would simply kill one random bystander to establish he's a threat, when instead, he could fill a morgue.

Eventually, this led to Infinite Crisis, which was, above and beyond absolutely anything else, an attempt by Johns to undo a bunch of changes that had occurred in the DC Universe over the course of the last twenty years or so. A bunch of characters were brought back from the dead, such as Barry Allen and Jason Todd, and a bunch more were messily slaughtered.

As for Superboy Prime, he's kind of interesting in a way. You may have noticed that a lot of people online will talk about "Pre-Crisis" vs. "Post-Crisis" Superman. This is because Superman was reinvented in the '80s, which reestablished what was and wasn't canon about his history (i.e. whether or not he spent time as "Superboy" when he was a kid, whether or not Jonathan Kent was still alive, etc.) and both reduced and reexamined his powers. The earlier versions of Superman, from comics' "Silver Age," were so powerful that he was difficult to tell stories about; he could casually travel through time, circle the world in a couple of seconds, sneeze hard enough to destroy solar systems, and so on. The idea behind the reboot was to bring him closer to Earth and make it so various enemies could actually pose a threat to him.

Superboy Prime, on the other hand, is explicitly the pre-Crisis version of the character. He spends a lot of his time on-panel, particularly in Infinite Crisis, talking about how good life used to be and how great it could be again if people would just shut up and let him get his way. He's a barely-veiled metaphor for the Silver Age nostalgia that his author had spent years trying to bring back... but because of his author's other tendencies, Superboy Prime was also a remorseless killer who was more than a match for the modern Superman. He spends the back half of Infinite Crisis murdering Z-list characters one after the other and complaining that it's not his fault; simply being forced to exist in the dark, gritty modern DCU is making him into a psychopath.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Link for the curious?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Which Superman has the mullet and shoots lightning?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Which Superman has the mullet and shoots lightning?

Those were some phases Superman went through in the 90's.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Luna Was Here posted:

Link for the curious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOjy6uOOwZ4

warning: this dude has the particular brand of nerd voice that is just aggressively boring. It's not shrill or high, but he just sounds like a history teacher who checked out like 6 years ago, except he's talking about the most ridiculous over the top poo poo. Because SB-P is a lynchpin to so many ridiculous plots, I feel like it did an ok job of catching me up on how pants on head the last 30 years of DC have been.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOjy6uOOwZ4

warning: this dude has the particular brand of nerd voice that is just aggressively boring.

Oh my god, I stumbled on this dudes videos while falling through the YouTube hole one night and I'm like, why do I finding these videos so atrociously hard to stay awake during? He's talking about cool comic book poo poo and it's his fuckin voice that robs me of all interest in paying attention.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/846791171234054144

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Status Quo restored?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Status Quo restored?

well comic book covers rarely have anything to do with what actually happens in the comics, so brainiac probably shows up for one page at the end of the issue and half of the people featured still hate eachother or dont even show up

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You now if Mark Hamil is voicing Joker you wouldn't have to get another voice actor for a Trickster premium skin

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Why are we talking about Joker as if he was confirmed to be in? Last I heard we had no information on him at all, and people were assuming he was going to stay dead.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I really hope he stays dead

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I could deal with 1 less Batman character

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jimmy Hats posted:

I really hope he stays dead

That's what we thought after Arkham City.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Technowolf posted:

That's what we thought after Arkham City.

Yeah and Arkham Knight suffered greatly for it (and also for the terrible batmobile focus)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
there's already green arrow from an alternate universe, there could be a joker from a different universe. Or maybe a lazarus pit whatever.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Yeah and Arkham Knight suffered greatly for it (and also for the terrible batmobile focus)

Mind joker was the best part from arkham knight.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

My favorite thing about Arkham Knight was two things: dragging the batmobile up the side of buildings via grappling hook in the most hilariously overwrought example of an enforced gameplay mechanic, and the fact that anyone even basically familiar with the source material knew exactly who the Arkham Knight was from the moment of his introduction and having to endure a whole game's worth of conceited "who could this mystery man POSSIBLY BE?!" right up to the very end. Wasn't the mystery of his identity one of the big marketing points leading up to the game's release?

Anyway, agreeing that having the Joker return in any way would feel like a cop out.

Edit: for all the grousing about the batmobile in the game, you have to admit that powersliding your taze-mobile into a crowd of goons was an amusing "BATMAN DOESN'T KILL" activity.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 29, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Fool posted:

Why are we talking about Joker as if he was confirmed to be in? Last I heard we had no information on him at all, and people were assuming he was going to stay dead.

because he's on a leaked list that has been 100% right so far

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

FunkMonkey posted:

My favorite thing about Arkham Knight was two things: dragging the batmobile up the side of buildings via grappling hook in the most hilariously overwrought example of an enforced gameplay mechanic, and the fact that anyone even basically familiar with the source material knew exactly who the Arkham Knight was from the moment of his introduction and having to endure a whole game's worth of conceited "who could this mystery man POSSIBLY BE?!" right up to the very end. Wasn't the mystery of his identity one of the big marketing points leading up to the game's release?

Anyway, agreeing that having the Joker return in any way would feel like a cop out.

The best part was that they were talking about a person the games had never talked about before and then you're supposed to be surprised that's who was under the helmet.

The actual idea wasn't awful, but the execution was. Between that and the Batmobile poo poo, it really bummed me out. I loved that franchise.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I seem to recall some marketing material specifically saying that it wasn't Jason Todd and was definitely someone new. Essentially outright lying.

I thought the joker storyline in City was well done, and should have been the main storyline, with some generic mob boss or penguin as the B plot. Game would have been a ton better.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

The best part was that they were talking about a person the games had never talked about before and then you're supposed to be surprised that's who was under the helmet.

The actual idea wasn't awful, but the execution was. Between that and the Batmobile poo poo, it really bummed me out. I loved that franchise.

It would have been better if they had just straight up dropped the mystery man delusion and had Batman and Red Hood openly competing with each other both physically and philosophically. Like none of this private robot army revenge on Batman garbage; just two vigilantes of similar talent and ability each trying to save the city while their radically different methods intersected and clashed with each other and the city threw its support behind one or the other.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Arkham Knight had a shitload of bugs and a bad release because, I poo poo you not, they did not want QA people to see the BIG EPIC SPOILER ABOUT WHO ARKHAM KNIGHT IS. Which is even more ridiculous because it was so loving obvious even a 4th into the story.

I also remember the DLC just literally rehashing villains from the previous games instead of giving you interesting people like Prometheus (who had been teased for years in-game), The Court of Owls, or Dr. Hurt.

If you really want to put in some kind of wild Batman villain then Dr. Hurt or Prometheus would be kind of insane. Even Azrael with his flaming swords would be cool. I'd rather have any of those guys over Scarecrow, Joker, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 29, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
At least the Season Pass gave you a LOT of stuff and it wasn't bad.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/InjusticeGame/status/847162697212809217

Joker or Cold?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Captain Cold is due a proper reveal after showing up briefly in that one trailer. Joker will be the final reveal I think, since he's dead and also super popular.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

If Joker's in the game, I hope they never explain it. Have people wonder about it, throw out some theories and some hints, but never give a concrete idea of how he's there.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gavok posted:

If Joker's in the game, I hope they never explain it. Have people wonder about it, throw out some theories and some hints, but never give a concrete idea of how he's there.

turns out injustice 1 joker was actually jerome or whoever the hell that was on gotham

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

could be scarecrow :v:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Or maybe it's just a showcase of Bane and Grodd?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Kite Man.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Technowolf posted:

Or maybe it's just a showcase of Bane and Grodd?

Nah they have a countdown timer to a new character reveal tomorrow, so it's at least someone who hasn't been officially announced yet.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Gavok posted:

Have him be a black lantern. Really throw people a loving curveball.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

Have him be a black lantern. Really throw people a loving curveball.

this is how you bring back the Joker

or have Metallo infected with a joker virus

idc what the do as long if they really want to bring him back they go hogwild with it

gently caress make it a noob-smoke thing where joker venom infected another character so now it's two for one

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is it bad of me that I want Talion (from Shadow of Mordor/War) as a guest character?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Technowolf posted:

Is it bad of me that I want Talion (from Shadow of Mordor/War) as a guest character?

I mean it'd be as much of a lovely mismatch as Scorpion was in Injustice 1 so whatevs

Bonus points if you put him in the season pass and keep your most popular characters separate like last time too

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Technowolf posted:

That would be kind of weird, but he'd have a fun moveset. I think he'd fit Mortal Kombat better though, with how brutal the fights in those games can get.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm still holding out for Johnny Cage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Gavok posted:

If Joker is in the game he should just be in versus and not appear in the story. The "proper" universe isn't here to bail out the injustiverse so unless something retarded like Batman felt bad for joker and put the 2 halfs of him that supes ripped apart in the lazarus pit he just shouldn't be around.

I mean NRS sorta already pulled this in MKX. The default looks for Liu Kang/Kung lao/Kitana do not exist in the storymode and were fakeouts as they were dead/revenants the whole time.

• Locked thread